Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Question on our future and nuno

Nivada

Reaction score
Nuno came to the Club with a style, drilled it into the players immediately and has signed players that are up for it.

Every single player is 100% behind him and believes in him, hence why we are a good, strong team. Those few who maybe haven't bought into Nuno's style or got fed up of him have been moved on.

When Nuno departs it'll be because he's been given an offer he can't refuse. Not the next time we go six games without a win and the Twitter lot think we can do better.

When that time comes, we have to hope he's made the Club attractive enough for a superb coach to replace him, or it could all go pear-shaped quite quickly.

IMO, of course.
You're misunderstanding the original post, the poster is asking whether Nuno's cautious less than 50% possession tactic is going to get us any further, whether if we want to be a big club and start dominating matches we're going to need another style under another manager as Nuno seems to obsessed with the sit back tactic.

Nivada

Reaction score
Nuno is apparently having a house built in the area

chill people
Nobody wants Nuno to go, but do you think we'll become a champions league regular with less than 50% possession every match? As is the Nuno way

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Nuno leaves, he would have to take at least seven Wolves players in order to hit the ground running. Can you imagine how long it would take for him to drill that Man United squad into shape?

Those 7 players would also follow him to that bigger club as fast as their contracts were bought out. A lot of our squad have already followed Nuno from previous clubs. Surely the reason they came is because they want to work for Nuno, not because they like Wolverhampton?

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody wants Nuno to go, but do you think we'll become a champions league regular with less than 50% possession every match? As is the Nuno way

I would like to think that the ‘Nuno way’ would also evolve over time as better players become available and Nuno himself grows into the role.

D

Deleted member 4152

One brick at a time gotta love our Nuno
wonder if his family are coming over
I must impress I don’t know if it’s true. Just what I have been told tonight by a neighbour.

D

Deleted member 4152

No idea. But we have gone from mid table championship to potential top 4 Prem in 3 seasons

So as far as Nuno goes. Genuinely nothing would surprise me

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another question is how good are we? For example most would agree man united are currently poor but they are still above us. Many would say a lot of our players would get into their team including the manager so why are we behind them in the league. I’m probably being over ambitious considering how far we’ve come in such a short time but feel the questions are relevant.
Man Utd are poor by their own standards but they still have some class players. We are behind them on goal difference in our second premier league campaign, and have lost once to them in seven games.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chelsea won it in 2012, if my memories correct they conceded a lot of possession. The final against Bayern was 1 example. The year they lost in the final, on penalties they did a smash a grab in the semi against Barcelona.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Matt Murray said he had one year left on his contract.

To go to the next level we have to be capable of playing more than one system and at times a back five with two deep midfielders can look very defensive.We saw that last lesson losing regularly to bottom of the table sides.

But these things take time and we need to move gradually.

There is no right way to play the beautiful game as Nuno will be aware .

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We knew Wolves would need more than one season to seriously challenge for a European spot. We’re not there yet. We are still too hot and cold.
However, I hope next season, with more players coming in in July, we do some serious stomping on the PL.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno and Wolves will eventually part ways - that much is certain. What prompts the parting is the more interesting question imo. It may be because Nuno can take Wolves no further (the dream scenario) or he may fall out with Fosun or they may not match his ambitions (transfer windows anyone!). He may get offered a top job that he feels he cannot turn down or he might want to return to Portugal, Spain, Italy etc... to avoid the British winters. Whatever happens, he's done a fabulous job in Wolverhampton and will go with my best wishes.
I just hope that when the time comes, Fosun recognises what needs to happen to keep us on track to where they (Fosun) has said they want to take us.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We are Nuno's project, simple as. All football in the club is currently played according to his idea of football. All the players signed fit his idea both in skills and in application.

He's not the first one to give something like this a go in a football club. But - and it is a very big "but" in Nuno's favour - the leader must have followers in such schema. Nuno does have them - in players and his staff first and foremost, then also in the board and in us. You can see even in the players' interview for the press how much his way of thinking is now theirs.

This is really precious, precious and rare and Nuno knows it - hence I don't believe he will walk off from this job. Of course there may be an offer even he can't refuse but the clubs he's been linked so far (Arsenal, Everton) are not appealing enough to lure him out. The situation is precious not only for Nuno. Having that kind of synergy in the group of people lets them overachieve and being greater as a whole than the sum of the parts.

So, I for one am hoping he's here for a very long haul.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabulous song. It was a sad day when Tony Orlando became Dawn and became the King of cringe.
Maybe his second big hit would summarise where as a club we are...........Halfway to Paradise.:D
When he went to enter a door....did he knock three times?

D

Deleted at own request member 8370

Chelsea won it in 2012, if my memories correct they conceded a lot of possession. The final against Bayern was 1 example. The year they lost in the final, on penalties they did a smash a grab in the semi against Barcelona.
The smash and grab vs Barca was the same year as the Bayern final 1-0 home leg, 2-2 away leg. Year they lost on pens they played Liverpool in the semis didn’t they?

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My slight (longterm) worry when it comes to Nuno is his desire for a small squad size. I can understand why he wants a small squad - it must be a lot easier to manage, to motivate players, control the vision etc. As soon as you have a bigger squad there's a lot more players to consider, keep happy and motivated etc. His current formula is working and we've been very lucky with injuries (even with Boly etc). My concern is that as a club builds and gets better, squad size generally increases too - to provide options and cover. Is Nuno able to maintain results and the level of performance required when he has a bigger squad? How would he get on if (heaven forbid) he did leave us for a bigger club with a bigger squad to juggle? At the moment club and manager appear to be a perfect match and I suppose it'll be interesting to see who progresses further/quicker (club or Nuno) and if one gets left behind a little. I think the fact that Nuno has the small squad he wants at Wolves (although perhaps 1 or 2 players smaller than he'd ideally like) probably means he's less likely to leave us for a significantly larger club, at least in the medium-term... In the meantime let's just enjoy the present.

lycophilos

Reaction score
Are there signs that Nuno's style is not as rigid as some seem to suggest, but that it is evolving as he develops this Wolves squad?

There was a period in the late autumn of 2018, when there had been a string of poor results, when, like many on this forum, I began to wonder if Nuno was being too rigid. Could he change his preferred formation? He did, and Wolves ended the season in a remarkable 7th place.

Nuno has got the reputation of being a defensive minded coach - which is probably correct so far. It's also probably correct that any coach who wants to be a top manager/coach should start by getting his defensive plans in order.

I wouldn't put too much importance on the January transfer window, a poor time to do much business. However I wonder if it is of some significance that in this last window, the two main signings have been attackers. Perhaps Nuno is becoming a less defensive coach as he gains confidence in his methods.

lycophilos

Reaction score
We are Nuno's project, simple as. All football in the club is currently played according to his idea of football. All the players signed fit his idea both in skills and in application.

He's not the first one to give something like this a go in a football club. But - and it is a very big "but" in Nuno's favour - the leader must have followers in such schema. Nuno does have them - in players and his staff first and foremost, then also in the board and in us. You can see even in the players' interview for the press how much his way of thinking is now theirs.

This is really precious, precious and rare and Nuno knows it - hence I don't believe he will walk off from this job. Of course there may be an offer even he can't refuse but the clubs he's been linked so far (Arsenal, Everton) are not appealing enough to lure him out. The situation is precious not only for Nuno. Having that kind of synergy in the group of people lets them overachieve and being greater as a whole than the sum of the parts.

So, I for one am hoping he's here for a very long haul.
My slight (longterm) worry when it comes to Nuno is his desire for a small squad size. I can understand why he wants a small squad - it must be a lot easier to manage, to motivate players, control the vision etc. As soon as you have a bigger squad there's a lot more players to consider, keep happy and motivated etc. His current formula is working and we've been very lucky with injuries (even with Boly etc). My concern is that as a club builds and gets better, squad size generally increases too - to provide options and cover. Is Nuno able to maintain results and the level of performance required when he has a bigger squad? How would he get on if (heaven forbid) he did leave us for a bigger club with a bigger squad to juggle? At the moment club and manager appear to be a perfect match and I suppose it'll be interesting to see who progresses further/quicker (club or Nuno) and if one gets left behind a little. I think the fact that Nuno has the small squad he wants at Wolves (although perhaps 1 or 2 players smaller than he'd ideally like) probably means he's less likely to leave us for a significantly larger club, at least in the medium-term... In the meantime let's just enjoy the present.
You have both said, in a much more concise and elegant way, what I have wanted to say every time the subjects of Nuno, transfer windows, and whether he is happy with the backing he is getting at Wolves, come up.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Fosun are not easing back. The Chinese leader said concentrate on internal markets. With no news on the stadium and an almost neutral January this leads me to think the instruction is being carried out.
If Nuno does not feel he has the backing to progress to the top 4 he will be off. What he values most imo is honesty and he really sounded like he expected more ready players when asked about the transfer window. If he doesn't see the investment the deal is broken and he has no reason to stay.
I share your concern, although not many posters on here lift their noses and smell the coffee. China is, not to put too fine a point on it, in the ****. The government routinely lies about their growth figures, they are reining back on external investment, and this latest health emergency will have a definite (though short term) negative economic effect. FOSUN are a Chinese investment company and the Chinese state ultimately controls them. Of course FOSUN are not going to come out and say 'Sorry Wolves fans, but we ain't gonna be making big investments in you any time soon'. Time will tell, but the big picture is not great.

M

merseawolf

Watching Fernandes yesterday he would fit right in I think.
That’s what i thought too. We are still a long way off shopping in that market I would think. No idea what his weekly wage is but around a million a month I would guess

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting topic.
I have wondered all season if we had been more adventurous would we have turned some draws into wins.
I personally think until Nuno is able to show his team can take the game to the opposition consistently I don't think he would get a top top job.

I think that Nuno has turned some of the losses into draws. Hopefully draws into wins will follow! :)

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I share your concern, although not many posters on here lift their noses and smell the coffee. China is, not to put too fine a point on it, in the ****. The government routinely lies about their growth figures, they are reining back on external investment, and this latest health emergency will have a definite (though short term) negative economic effect. FOSUN are a Chinese investment company and the Chinese state ultimately controls them. Of course FOSUN are not going to come out and say 'Sorry Wolves fans, but we ain't gonna be making big investments in you any time soon'. Time will tell, but the big picture is not great.

Which is why the transfer policy of getting so many young good 'potentials' may prove to be a masterstroke. Then again...

Wandering_Wolf93

Reaction score
Does anyone think we will ever outgrow nuno? Everyone knows he is a cautious manager (not a dig) but if we continue to progress we will be expected to take games to the opposition instead of playing on the counter. Is our style of play down to our quality and playing to our strengths or is it just nuno’s style?
This is In no way a bashing thread because I think he is the best thing since sliced bread but I’m just interested in people opinions. Will we get to a point where he has taken us as far as he can and we require a manager with a different approach or will nuno adapt when we begin to spend serious money?

Not for me no. Majority of the growth/progression of the club is and will be down to Nuno. He has proven he can adapt the way we set up to get positive results. The style of play is both the way Nuno wants us to play but also playing to the strengths of what we have. On the whole our recruitment has been successful because we have signed players that Nuno wants and that fit how he wants to play. Whilst generally we are at our best when we are counter attacking (as are most teams nowadays) we have also had a number of games (or at least good spells in games) where we have been on the front foot, dominated possession and not let teams get out.

If anything an individuals reputation will grow far quicker than the club as a whole which is why holding on to key players and the management team is an achievement which we can't over look. The longer we keep our best players and the manager the more the clubs reputation will grow

gewolf

Reaction score
I believe that the actual size of his ''small squad'' will increase when we are regular European players, just because more matches each season will necessitate a need for alternatives. I cannot imagine that he won't like the thought of having almost two complete first teams to decide upon for each game.
That prevents potential burn out (Jiminez), covers totally for injuries (Boly/Jota) and keeps everyone happy as they will all have the regular chance of playing in the Prem., the two English cups and Europe.
Changes/developments like that take time because
- all the players need to learn Nuno's style,
- we are not yet quite at the guaranteed European level
- we can't be until the ground development is finished
- we won't be before our commercial income has grown to support the extra salary costs.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People seem to talk about Nuno as if he's never managed at a high level before he's managed CL teams he does know what he's doing

lycophilos

Reaction score
People seem to talk about Nuno as if he's never managed at a high level before he's managed CL teams he does know what he's doing
That's true. However he had only managed at a high level (Valencia, Porto) for a total of less than 3 seasons before coming to Wolves (I don't count Rio Ave as "at a high level" - apologies to Rio Ave if I am wrong). So already, Wolves will have been about half his whole time as a high level manager. And his Valencia and Porto jobs would both have been too short a time for him to have imposed his philosophy on the clubs, let alone begin to evolve and develop his methods, as I believe he is doing at Wolves.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think one thing is a racing certainty we're going to lose 1 or 2 of our major stars in the summer, it's just the way of football.
We may well not be in any European competition next season that may be the trigger.
I would love to think we can keep our better players here next season but you can't blame them when huge wage increases and top teams come knocking.

As Nuno doesn't seem keen on a new contract he may be off as well, time will tell.
Moutinho should be being got ready as we may need him soon.

Last edited:

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was talking with a colleague this morning who is a West Ham STH - started by me taking the P obviously. But we were talking about our clubs and he was very despondent on their chances of staying up. Said the team play like strangers and there is no structure there. They don't know form match to match what system they will play and who will play where. Very critical of the owners.
He was full of praise for us and how we are doing, and mentioned if Nuno went, he was pretty much of the opinion that he would be on the radar of Barcelona or one of the top teams.
I explained the way the club is run from top to bottom - all down to Nuno - all the teams play the same system. He ensures all the players from first team and U23's know the system and what is expected and that most are versatile and can play in different positions.
I asked the question whether he would get that autonomy/authority elsewhere and he had to agree not. He was very much of the opinion that the porn brothers decide who they are signing and not that manager.
This I think is where we and the 'project' are different to most clubs. Since Nuno and Fosun have been in place, there has been joined up consistency of approach. People complain about the transfer windows and not just spunking millions on 'top' players, but I'd rather us keep going the way we are with Nuno - done us pretty well so far.
I seriously think there are not many jobs that twould attract Nuno at this time - even a top 6 club - because he wouldn't get the autonomy he has here. I am hopeful that we will have a Nuno Dynasty here, with additions (Mouthino as a coach in a few years??).

S

ShropshireLad

I think one thing is a racing certainty we're going to lose 1 or 2 of our major stars in the summer, it's just the way of football.
We may well not be in any European competition next season that may be the trigger.
I would love to think we can keep our better players here next season but you can't blame them when huge wage increases and top teams come knocking.

As Nuno doesn't seem keen on a new contract he may be off as well, time will tell.
Is this true?:eek:

grumpy old wolf

Reaction score
Sadly I think Nuno's reputation will continue to grow and he may out grow us , can see him one day at Bayern or PSG etc , as long as he is with us we will continue to improve , said by others but I repeat " Best Manager in my lifetime".

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is this true?:eek:

Normally when you're close to the end of a contract if your employers want you to stay they will offer you another one.
Assuming he's been offered an extension he hasn't signed it, if would seem very unlikely he hasn't been offered one.

S

ShropshireLad

Was talking with a colleague this morning who is a West Ham STH - started by me taking the P obviously. But we were talking about our clubs and he was very despondent on their chances of staying up. Said the team play like strangers and there is no structure there. They don't know form match to match what system they will play and who will play where. Very critical of the owners.
He was full of praise for us and how we are doing, and mentioned if Nuno went, he was pretty much of the opinion that he would be on the radar of Barcelona or one of the top teams...
I have the same experience as I regularly come into contact with Wham fans where I do some work. I wear a Wolves scarf which sparks off a fair few conversations and it’s mainly the older ones who say they love Wolves style of football but the younger ones are very pessimistic about their prospects along with the older ones who are generally more critical.

S

ShropshireLad

Normally when you're close to the end of a contract if your employers want you to stay they will offer you another one.
Assuming he's been offered an extension he hasn't signed it, if would seem very unlikely he hasn't been offered one.
I think that’s a big leap in imagination and a dangerous assumption, WW. If you’re not careful you’ll be quoted in both local papers and "The i” so be wary. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom