Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brentford (A) Pre-Match Thread!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
1667024408957.jpeg

IT’S MAAAAAAATCHDAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!

Here we go again. After last week’s devastating result, and the fallout, it’s a chance to put things right today. It won’t be easy, but let’s hope we can do it.

Brentford away is a tough day for most teams, so a team with no manager, no confidence and no goals like us, well I don’t rate our chances to be quite honest. But that’s not the spirit of being a Wolves fan, is it? We’re gonna go there, sing and shout for the boys and see what happens!

In terms of line-up, Davis has to make two very key changes, for me. Jonny and Moutinho have to come out the team. Nothing against them as players or people but they’re the weak links at the minute. Semedo and Bouba need to come in. It will improve us straight away. As much as he’s not a premier league manager, I don’t think Davis is an idiot so he would have seen what we all saw last week. I predict a line-up of:

Sa
Semedo Collins Kilman Bueno
Neves Bouba
Traore Nunes Podence
Costa​

I’d be tempted to make a couple more changes myself but I think he might just stick at those two.

First goal is huge today, I think. I mean it always is let’s be fair, but if we go a goal down today, especially early, then I can see the heads dropping like last week and a tough, painful afternoon. However if we can by hook or by crook get ourselves 1-0 up, then maybe we can build on it.

We’ve been making some poor errors in defence and Brentford are the type of team to punish errors. We have to stay calm and confident if we can in defence. And build from there. In recent years even when we’ve been poor our defence and keeper have kept the matches close and tight, whereas in recent weeks it’s not felt that way. A return to boring old Wolves might not be what we want but it might be what we need!

To be honest if you offered me a 0-0 right now I’d take it and wouldn’t even bother travelling down. But is that much good to us? I dunno. We need to find wins from somewhere. Let’s hope today is one of those days where you realise you made the best call of your life by supporting Wolves. There’s always hope!

Whether you’re following from London, Wolverhampton, across the Black Country or across the world, enjoy the game and let’s get those three points lads!

COYW!

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Up early (I’m a bed wetter) but I hope we can lift ourselves today and get 3 points. It’s a big ask with how we’ve been playing and how low our confidence is but it’s time for these players to play for us the fans. If they’ve got problems with the club or hierarchy then fine that’s their prerogative but once they cross the white line today put all that to one side and play for us fans, play for professional pride for your team mates just give it your all. The position we're in we need a leader to galvanise us into a siege mentality everyone working as a team for each other. The team we have is better than this please show it for us today.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brentford away. It's not a fixture that we should fear - under normal circumstances. It shows how far our stock has fallen that not many of us give us a snowball in hell's chance of getting a result. Thank you Fosun, Shi, Sellars and our cowardly players for this situation! Not only for putting us here, but for prolonging the agony.
Well done for those going and hope that the feeling from most Wolves' fans at the moment is transmitted to those culpable of our demise.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd we could just get one of the chances we create to go in. Even if it's off a defenders backside after a double ricochet in the box and coming off the post, then it might just.. just... give us a bit of confidence. You never know, we may even be able to somehow force the ball over the line ourselves then at some point.
What I really don't want to see though; is if we get that first goal, is to sit back. Let's get a goal and attack, put real pressure on the opposition.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Today is huge as it tells us where the players are mentally. If their heads are gone from everything that has happened, we are ****ed. We need that same positivity we started last match with.

Last edited:

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a counter attacking threat today. I’d be tempted with 4231 today with:

Sa

Semedo Collins Kilman RAN

Neves Traore

Adama Guedes Hwang

Costa

Chriswwfc

Reaction score
The constant replay of
Moutinhos goal there makes me think he will start. If he does, let’s hope he is inspired by that goal as I would certainly be opting for pace, power and legs in his place.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those lucky people on the way to their 7th away game, for the wonderful reward of 2 goals and 1 point courtesy of a dire 0-0 at Bournemouth, I can only offer my wishes that your support is rewarded.
Agree. I dropped my son off in Shifnal at 8.30 this morning to catch the Telford Wolves coach. I take my hat off to all those travelling at the moment.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just have to change things up today, we can’t keep going week in week out with same players in same positions. It’s not working.

Be bold and brave, Steve!
True, something HAS to change.

Unfortunately, he’s damned whatever he does if we lose today. Keep it the same and hope for a change of fortunes and it’ll be ‘we needed a fresh approach’ but if he changes things it’ll be ‘square pegs, round holes, inexperienced players etc etc.’ so he can’t win either way.
On that basis I don’t know whether he’s got the balls to shake things up, or whether he feels continuity will surely bring cohesion… eventually.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The constant replay of
Moutinhos goal there makes me think he will start. If he does, let’s hope he is inspired by that goal as I would certainly be opting for pace, power and legs in his place.
We just never learn, a formation that never works with players like moutinho who struggle in it, nunes running round like a headless chicken and neves as a 3rd cb. Would rather go 4 4 2 and play guedes off costa than this failing 4 3 3 which is more like a 5 3 1 1 anyway as we are all over the place

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We just never learn, a formation that never works with players like moutinho who struggle in it, nunes running round like a headless chicken and neves as a 3rd cb. Would rather go 4 4 2 and play guedes off costa than this failing 4 3 3 which is more like a 5 3 1 1 anyway as we are all over the place
Have to admit, the thought of a 4-4-2 is a scary but exciting idea. Guedes with Costa could certainly provide a nice balance of pace and presence, Adama on the rw terrorising their left back, possibly RAN lw, midfield of Nunes and Neves. Worry would be whether there would be enough defensive cover for a shaky central defence whose confidence seems so brittle atm.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another weekend, another game I am dreading. Hoping to see something different today, but expecting another “L” and another “0” next to our name.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Steve Davis wants us to be more clinical at Brentford, to put our chances away, like Leicester
It always makes me smile when I read bits like this.

I mean, you’re either a clinical finisher or you’re not, right? If everyone could turn into a clinical finisher in a week, it would be easy.

The problem is, we don’t have any clinical finishers. We all know that each one of them needs at least 10 decent chances to hopefully, convert 1.

I honestly think, if you’d stuck some random bloke up front, that had been chosen from Sunday league football, he would have managed a goal or two by now. Yet we have players worth millions and they can’t manage one between them.

Snarlingwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Until Samedo and others defending learn how to mark runners into our box, instead of ball watching and leaving attackers unmarked, we’re going to be heading for another defeat. Sorry to be pessimistic but some of our players don’t seem to have the awareness, urgency, or quickness of thought to carry this out.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Luckily it's my sons birthday today so I will be spared watching another slowly unwinding train crash that ix a Wolves game atm. That said today they will probably win therefore. Let's hope so. Come in Wolves turn it around please.
I would go with Jade's team but with Guedes behind or alongside Costa.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other pre game predictors have pointed out that Brentford have lost heavily away before but have bounced back at home, where they have been far better. Expect a reaction. Just hope our chaps are up for it.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Missed the Trainbeers, not missed fitting into a 1ft space on the train. Expecting a 2-0 loss, but a pessimist is never disappointed!!!
Lots of pubs, outsing the home fans, meet random people, the score and result is only part of the day out.

We would probably benefit by setting up in a style and formation that fits the opposition, in this case it would mean sit back, neither team wants the ball, or we get picked off on the break. Use Traores pace, if we do sit back I don't mind seeing Moutinho in the 1sr lst XI. (Long term, has to be Neves and Nunes as sort of holding midfielders)

Oh and Muchy can you merge my thread Brentford (a) with this one cheers.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It always makes me smile when I read bits like this.

I mean, you’re either a clinical finisher or you’re not, right? If everyone could turn into a clinical finisher in a week, it would be easy.

The problem is, we don’t have any clinical finishers. We all know that each one of them needs at least 10 decent chances to hopefully, convert 1.

I honestly think, if you’d stuck some random bloke up front, that had been chosen from Sunday league football, he would have managed a goal or two by now. Yet we have players worth millions and they can’t manage one between them.
Tbf, I’d say the quality of chances in general have been reasonably poor. Sure there were a few better quality chances v Leicester last week (one from Costa was desperately unlucky to hit Justin on the goal line), but overall we have not created many excellent goal scoring opportunities.
Whether that’s down to personnel, movement, cohesion or something else is down to the coaching staff to pick up on and sort out.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
2 teams looking for a reaction from a thumping last weekend, first goal will be crucial just from a confidence point of view.

If we can keep Toney quiet for the match, keep defence tight and get the home crowd nervy there’s an opportunity for a result here.

Afraid to say it, been a real privilege to watch him in a Wolves shirt, but Mouthino needs to sit this one out. This’ll be won and lost in midfield and it’ll be a physical battle as much as a technical one so ‘not so fast’ Traore for me to offer that, let Neves and Nunes play in their natural positions, and get heads up and the ball forward (not horseshoe of doom possession).

Kilman and Collins pick themselves. One of those games last weekend. Chins up they’ll be fine.

Jonny needs to be dropped. Not sure what the answer is as Semedo has obviously been struggling too but right now for me he’s ahead of Jonny. I’d almost be tempted to give Beuno an opportunity on that side, allowing RAN to come back in if fit. That’s how thin our options are right now!

Costa to start up front. Hopefully he can lead the team not just the line, Sainsburys Traore seems to be developing a relationship with Costa so want to see more of that. Take your pick from Podence, Hwang and Guedes!

Confident we can get a result today!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic to see so many fans on here making their way down to London. I hope we can get a win for you all and that our season turns around today!

Back
Top Bottom