Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Reported by Romano now (loan to buy) so as good as done.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously it wasn't, but as someone else said here, he's a championship midfielder who has benefited hugely from having a (pre-covid) Boly covering him so he can take his time and use his quality passing range. His anticipation and ability in one v one situations are limited, and his organisational abilities also degrade hugely when he has to think about his own game, which has been an awful lot over the last 12 months.

Sorry if my opinion rubs salt in the wound, but I'm with Bruno - I can understand why he's nonplussed about whether Coady stays or not because it's £10m profit on a player who, for a lot of his Wolves career, has been utterly average. Good servant and Captain - yes, great footballer? Not a chance
Is it? A loan?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That better be an obligation to buy or it's a complete waste of time like the Traore loan.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Cannot believe it's a loan for Coady. What are we thinking? We're being run by absolute clowns.

When we’ve had these deals set up before, it’s normally been offset by a similar incoming deal structure (seem to recall Vinagre and RAN).

So perhaps this is being done to offset cash flows for a similar deal for say Ramos or Andre Silva.

Straws. Clutching. At.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can construct our own obligation to buy with someone else.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm probably well in the minority but I wouldn't be wholly against a loan IF there's an obligation to buy, because presumably Everton pick up his salary, freeing that up for us, and we get a guaranteed fee in 12 months thereby adding that to the future transfer Kitty.

Not saying that I wouldn't prefer a sale to the above, but it's hardly the end of the world.
It might also mean a loan fee on top of the eventual purchase fee. Or just a bigger eventual purchase fee

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cutrone was also initially with an obligation to buy, but Fiorentina were able to remove the option later (presumably by paying some compensatory amount). Trincao was likely the same arrangement, so we might not see any real money for Coady under the deal.

It seems rather weak negotiating to not at much get a confirmed purchase for a player of Coady's standing at a PL club. How many other PL clubs loan out their club captain to another PL club?

Everton have a money tree, yet cannot find any cash for an established PL player, who is an England international, until next summer...maybe?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Selling Coady for less than £20m is a mistake. If we lose a load of games with 4 at the back Bruno may want to revert to a 5 at the back in which case Coady is so important. Don’t forget as well how important Coady is to the dressing room. He’s such a character. There’s a reason Southgate took him to the euro’s but didn’t play him.
Taking Coady out of the dressing room on top of Saiss and Ruddy, all in the same window, leaves a massive hole there.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady leaving on loan is ridiculous shall we loan Adama too? Guedes is a winger too? Hmmm I really still see the midfield as an issue rather than a winger.

Cuban Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Jesus, a loan to buy takes Conor's wages off our books for this year, therefore freeing up monies to loan someone else. It is pure mathematics. On a different note, whilst on the subject, any sale of Coady is pure profit, he was bought for £2m, 7 years ago, his book value on the Wolves accounts is £0. The £2 million would have been depreciated over the first contract that he had.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Selling to Everton for £12m is a really poor deal and is strengthening a relegation rival to boot. I don't buy this doing him a favour with the world cup for his service. Coady has been brilliant for us, but we have been since Fosun brilliant for him. There's no way he's close to the England squad before Nuno converted him and how successful the club

One of the things that struck me yesterday is how good our CB’s are going to need to be on the ball for us to play 4 at the back. They are so exposed.

I wouldn’t fancy Toti or Boly in that role, they’re too ponderous.

Good shout.

Gallagher did not do much in his year at West Brom but then the following season at Palace he showed his true ability...

Maybe L2B?
Gallagher was by far the albion's best player 2 seasons ago.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus, a loan to buy takes Conor's wages off our books for this year, therefore freeing up monies to loan someone else. It is pure mathematics. On a different note, whilst on the subject, any sale of Coady is pure profit, he was bought for £2m, 7 years ago, his book value on the Wolves accounts is £0. The £2 million would have been depreciated over the first contract that he had.

His wages can go to upping Nunes' considering we were only offering him 45k (Still dont think this happening btw)

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Maybe loan with obligation to buy if we trigger but if we don’t we can keep. Protects us if we go back to 3 at back in future.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not quite zero, every time a new contract is signed the remaining balance at that point is then amortised over the new length. So it’ll still be very little but not £0.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cannot believe it's a loan for Coady, I thought we needed cash to buy players? What are we thinking? We're being run by absolute clowns.
If it helps Coady get a chance in the World Cup then I’m all for it. And if that’s prevalent in Jeff’s mind too, then fair play to Wolives to help that along.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it helps Coady get a chance in the World Cup then I’m all for it. And if that’s prevalent in Jeff’s mind too, then fair play to Wolives to help that along.
Only fair play if it doesn't cost us.

If they loan Coady and then don't sign the centre-back (Coady replacement), midfielder and striker we need, then use finances as an excuse, they can **** off.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we really needed to we could always go back to 3 center halfs we still have 5 in the squad let's not forget plus Donk.

If we want to play a deeper line, Boly can add the height and power. 3 6ft5 defenders there.

If we want to play a higher line and be more agressive Toti or Mosq to come in and add some real pace.
Based on everything we saw last season Boly is well and truly done. Notably no one has tried to sign him.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Busy and vital week for us coming up. Get it right and we fight for Europe. Get it wrong and we scrap for our lives.

Targets are identified, back ups identified, money is there... no excuses. Time to get it done.
The problem is that the mood music was pretty much the same last August and then we end up at 11 pm on transfer deadline day trying to bring in Keiffer Moore, after all our targets around Europe have upped their price and/or decided that they don't want to come. Shi and Sellars then went into hiding....

Cuban Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Not quite zero, every time a new contract is signed the remaining balance at that point is then amortised over the new length. So it’ll still be very little but not £0.
I am also an accountant, I actually agree with you, but trying to keep the maths simple for the non bean counters! OK?

Back
Top Bottom