Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Overspending Table

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just read an article in the E&S about an overspending table. Thought I'd look it up... make of it what you will.

Overspending Table.jpg

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t understand it.

It’s a measure of how much clubs paid above the market value of the players they signed. Those at the top paid the most above market value, those at the bottom, paid closest to market value.

No surprise we are there overall, as it means we get our business done through good value deals.

Doesn’t surprise anyone that United are at the top.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
…but how do they decide a players true value?
I get Pogba and Maguire are easy to see the overspend but they got Ronaldo on a free.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
…but how do they decide a players true value?
I get Pogba and Maguire are easy to see the overspend but they got Ronaldo on a free.
Hes not free with his wages,and no one will pay for him if they have to pay his wages
There are plenty of valuation sites usually undervaluing players imo, and valuations are subjective, with the selling club wanting what they can get and the buyers trying to get a good deal
Accountants put a book value on players, and amortisation makes paper profit for clubs so its more complicated than just saying we paid £10 million for a player and got £5 mil back or whatever
Whatever method you chose we are being run very nicely, and for every loss we make we make more profit on others

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We have the best value for transfers across the entire league.

Lower the score less overspending you have done
Looking at it a different way, do you think we wait until the end of the window and pick up the players others didn't want,
although we did get some really good players this last window, now all we need is a new coach, thinking there will be loads available
when the Worl Cup break arrives,
we will see aye.

Huge of Sharjah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Good news indeed on the management front... Now just got to get those naughty little sausages working like a well-oiled (but very small) Spartan phalanx

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
To be fair, I think Jeff and Scott deserve a lot of credit on this one. The way they have gone about squad building, even during the lean covid/European FFP times, is quite remarkable. We currently only have 3 players over 30 (who we would expect little to no return on) on the books.

To get us to this position with arguably the best Wolves squad ever assembled in the modern era is remarkable.

As others have said, we now need to get them firing as there is no doubt the team should be higher up the league.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see a comparison between spending over that time and average league position over that time, at first glance there doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between the two

In short I guess you can overspend on a good or a bad player, less likely to get a bargain on a known good player though maybe (so a bit more risk involved)

What it does highlight is Fosuns stated strategy that they arn't trying to compete directly with larger clubs for big name players as we know we don't have their finances so are looking to buy players with potential before the price gets too high

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder what it would e like if we'd bought a decent striker 2 or more years ago. OH! we did pay £35 million for a youngster with unknown credentials!

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which league, though? Might be wise to include the Championship..just in case.
Says it covers spending since July 2012 on so does include some of our time in champ and league 1

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another of those pointless stats that prove next to nothing. Great we don't overspend apparently, but yet we are still depressingly crap.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps we should spend that extra £21m on coaching staff that know what they're doing.

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Interesting but almost pointless and a bit click-baity. If I understand correctly they have used their own estimations of value prior to the transfer, when what really matters is the value of the player after the transfer (let's say one year later, for the sake of argument). They haven't included loan->buy arrangements (for obvious reasons, but it still invalidates the whole point imo) and the transfer data is only that which has been released by the clubs, which will be imperfect. An interesting read but looking at some of our recent deals I can't believe Wolves have underpaid.

Back
Top Bottom