Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Luis Suarez reveals Lionel Messi wanted to finish career at Barcelona as Atletico Madrid man opens up on summer conversation with PSG star

S

Sean O'Brien

Luis Suarez spoke openly about his conversation with former teammate Lionel Messi, revealing his close friend was confident about finishing his playing career with Barcelona.

All of a sudden, the Argentine’s career with the Catalan giants changed dramatically over a short space of time, due to the club’s financial hardship, and he eventually signed for Paris Saint-Germain on a free transfer.

NINTCHDBPICT000610153500.jpg

Messi and Suarez are known for being close friends as well as former teammates
Getty Images - Getty

Suarez played with Messi for over six seasons and remained close friends off the pitch, before joining Atletico Madrid in 2020 and helping his side win La Liga last season ahead of his former employers.

The former Liverpool striker revealed that Messi informed him of his intention to stay at Barca until he retired during a conversation over the summer.

Speaking to Diairio Sport, Suarez said: “He told me ‘I will finish my career at Barcelona, which is what I always wanted, the club that has given me everything and the children are happy’.

“From one hour to the next everything changed.

“Leo loves the club, he owes a lot to Barcelona which you could see with his goodbye. He is the best player in the history of the club.

NINTCHDBPICT000683167435-e1632862477881.jpg

Messi scored his first goal for PSG on Tuesday night
Getty

“He left with the uncertainty of what would have happened because, obviously, the manner of it has bothered him, that everything changed from one hour to the next.”

Messi found it difficult to face the reality of leaving his beloved club, having joined from the La Masia academy to become the club’s all-time leading goalscorer.

The Uruguay international was stunned like the rest of us as news of Messi’s departure emerged.

Suarez added: “As a friend I had to act, supporting him, so that he was not crestfallen or down. I was very surprised because everything was arranged for him to stay.”

Play talkSPORT'S Big5 to win big​

TS-Big5_Socialstwitter-1-1.jpg

• PLAY HERE and you could…
  • Win a share of £5,000
  • 5 quick picks and decide 3 game changers
  • Entries cost £5
  • 18+, Please gamble responsibly, gambleaware.org

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom