Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Best opposition Centre Forward appearances against us

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't disagree but my Dad and others blamed Phil Parkes for the defeat
What were their reasons for saying that? I was there for both matches and in no way was Phil Parkes to blame and I have never heard that accusation before. Both matches were very close but Tottenham marginally had the edge. It's just the way it goes. I am quite angry that people should make Phil Parkes a scapegoat, but then we had people who ran down Mike Bailey. My conclusion is that some of our supporters just haven't a clue.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What were their reasons for saying that? I was there for both matches and in no way was Phil Parkes to blame and I have never heard that accusation before. Both matches were very close but Tottenham marginally had the edge. It's just the way it goes. I am quite angry that people should make Phil Parkes a scapegoat, but then we had people who ran down Mike Bailey. My conclusion is that some of our supporters just haven't a clue.

Parkes was adequate... if we'd had a top class keeper ( Banks) we'd have won a lot more.
As for strikers Wolves have always had the knack of being able to turn non scoring, journeymen strikers into world beaters when they play us.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collymore for Forest looked like he was on a different planet in one home game against us.
I seem to remember our aging centre backs defending on the half way line. Collymore broke clear, game over. And he was released by Wolves Academy.

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Didier Drogba for Chelsea against us under Mick. Can’t remember the season but he was the complete centre forward.

Also, Andy Carroll in that famous Henry v Barton game. First player I saw who really bullied Christophe Berra, who I always liked and thought was underrated by our fans. Old school centre half.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One for the oldies: Nat Lofthouse, always seemed to play a blinder against us when in our 50s pomp. Beat us on his own in the FA Cup 4th round in the snow at Molineux in 1959, scoring both goals in a 2-1 win in front of a full house of 55,000 and ran rings round Billy Wright. And the previous season he and his Notlob mates had knocked us out in the 6th Round at Burnden, on their way to winning the Cup. Great old-fashioned centre forward and was an England regular

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
Luton away on a Tuesday night at Loftus Rd, my first ever away game.

Some ginger haired striker pulled us apart, scored two (I think). I was only a kid but remember thinking who's that guy, he's class.

It was John Hartson. Maybe not the star striker this thread intended, but even I could tell as a child he was much better than Luton, and us.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Luton away on a Tuesday night at Loftus Rd, my first ever away game.

Some ginger haired striker pulled us apart, scored two (I think). I was only a kid but remember thinking who's that guy, he's class.

It was John Hartson. Maybe not the star striker this thread intended, but even I could tell as a child he was much better than Luton, and us.
You mean Kenilworth Road. Loftus Road = QPR.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I seem to remember our aging centre backs defending on the half way line. Collymore broke clear, game over. And he was released by Wolves Academy.
Yup that's the one. Suicidal tactics, but he looked absolutely sensational that night. Oddly despite him making us look silly at times, I think we may have got a draw?

*Might have been the 1-1 in Nov 93. I would have been 12 at the time so memory may be very hazy

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
Was there that night and he twisted Paul Blades in absolute knots for 90 minutes! The second he broke clear you knew he was scoring. Saw him the season before for Southend and he was class that day too….incredible talent!

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like you is/was a big fan of PP. I did not see the away leg so cant comment on that (other than the highlights I saw which indicated Jennings was the MOM). I am not sure Phil was made a scapegoat in general, although a few I knew thought he could have saved the first goal at home (think it was the first - long range shot). Not sure why someone else's opinion would make you angry and if they have an alternative view may not mean they dont "don't have a clue".

My suggestion to the thread is a hat trick by Ron Futcher in a 3-2 defeat away to Luton Town in December 1974. Not sure if he ever did anything else of note. Were we 2-0 up? Long time ago although remember getting soaking wet.

W

WasStefan

Anyone an inch taller and or half a yard faster than Coady was made to look like prime R9.

Whirligig Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Roy and Collymore. Was that a pre-season friendly? they were brilliant.
Dele Adebola up against Dean Richards.
Stoke's forward the season they went up and beat us maybe 4-2. Would that have been Ricardo Fuller?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hasselbaink quite a while back for Chelsea against us at Stamford Bridge. He was amazing and destroyed us.

Back
Top Bottom