Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Article about The Bull - excellent

suffolkwolf

Reaction score

Sorry if this has been posted before.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has, but it’s worth another go around.
And once you’ve done that, read the Ronaldo one in the linked articles at the bottom.
The real Ronaldo that is.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
We weren't really banging out the rhythm of Bully for England on the crumbling wooden seats though were we.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Have heard a lot of those stories before but when you see it laid out like that the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

For our generation, it feels like we shared that journey with him every step of the way. His rise, and the club's rise went hand in hand and we lived and breathed every moment.

From the free lunches in the Goal Post, odd time rubbing shoulders in Kipps to seeing him walking his dog past our house every now and then we exchange a knowing nod, something that I doubt we'll really ever experience again.

Thanks for sharing

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have heard a lot of those stories before but when you see it laid out like that the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

For our generation, it feels like we shared that journey with him every step of the way. His rise, and the club's rise went hand in hand and we lived and breathed every moment.

From the free lunches in the Goal Post, odd time rubbing shoulders in Kipps to seeing him walking his dog past our house every now and then we exchange a knowing nod, something that I doubt we'll really ever experience again.

Thanks for sharing

I regularly drive past him walking his dog around Compton/Finchfield.

It's really strange seeing someone who as a child, I basically worshipped as a God, just getting on with their every day life.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great article - thanks for posting, Suffolk. I remember the Scotland goal and where I was, yelping and running around the settee when he scored. I was playing football on the evening of the Czech match and when we heard Bully had scored two, it was time for a few bevvies. The highlights of that game were fantastic. Also remember him coming on in the friendly against Tunisia before the WC. We were watching in the Moreton Arms and all hoping for Bull to get on. A mate suggested that Bully looked asleep on the bench and had said to Robson; 'wake me up when you want a goal'. He got on and of course scored.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A really great read, thanks for posting. Bully talks about getting goose-pimples talking about it, but I did reading about it too!!

What occurred to me when reading this is that the reason Bully is living, walking proof that loyalty does pay longer-term.

All the other players in that squad had a better pedigree and on paper had more successful careers, at higher profile clubs before Italia 90 and after Italia 90. Most (if not all of them) probably earned more money during their playing careers.

Yet Bully is the only one with a Premier League stand named after him. He's the only one (to my knowledge) still on the payroll of a Premier League club in his role as club Vice-Chairman. He is loved and welcomed as a legend in the city of Wolverhampton and will be for evermore.

As far as his career goes, he could probably have earned more and won more if he'd have taken one of the four opportunities to leave Wolves that he mentions .

In terms of money, he's probably not the wealthiest Italia 90 squad member. But in terms of overall happiness and satisfaction, he's probably wealthier than the rest of them. "I still am happy here 30 years on, and that's much more important to me than a couple of seasons somewhere else chasing glory."

Last edited:

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I often say to my lad, no matter how much he thinks he loves Neves he had no idea of the pure adoration I felt for Bully at his age.

Reading that bought a lot of it back and plenty goosebumps with it - I remember having to arrange one of my mates to do my paper round so I could watch that Scotland game hoping he'd get on

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I often say to my lad, no matter how much he thinks he loves Neves he had no idea of the pure adoration I felt for Bully at his age.

Reading that bought a lot of it back and plenty goosebumps with it - I remember having to arrange one of my mates to do my paper round so I could watch that Scotland game hoping he'd get on
The whole way that game went, with the disappointment of him not starting, but coming on early and then just smashing it,with the usual dodgy first tough and lethal second one was perfect. Ran and jumped off a 6ft wall,my ankle wasn't right for weeks.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Great article - thanks for posting, Suffolk. I remember the Scotland goal and where I was, yelping and running around the settee when he scored. I was playing football on the evening of the Czech match and when we heard Bully had scored two, it was time for a few bevvies. The highlights of that game were fantastic. Also remember him coming on in the friendly against Tunisia before the WC. We were watching in the Moreton Arms and all hoping for Bull to get on. A mate suggested that Bully looked asleep on the bench and had said to Robson; 'wake me up when you want a goal'. He got on and of course scored.
I was at Wembley for the Czech game, came out of the ground and found a phone box and called my dad, knowing mom would be gone to bed and he'd be sitting down for News at Ten. Asked him to tape the highlights. Got back to home at some late hour to find he'd failed miserably to master the new fangled VHS Video Recorder!

How times have changed!

Bigcheese

Reaction score
Watched the Scotland game in the lagoon in princes end, then after the game was on a plane to Ibiza.
God those were the days!

PulverWolf

Reaction score
Great read and very insightful on the impact he made for both club and country , he did it his way.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That goal against the Czech Republic stands up in any era. Yes the greatest English footballer of his generation provided it, but that finish? Reminds of the best Van Basten and Mark Hughes goals, high wide and in.

Hadn't seen that article before, so thank for posting.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

For me it was Peter Knowles but Bully and Neves come close.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Lots of happy memories came flooding back!

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

thanks Suffolkwolf, a great read and one worth reading over and over again, so don't ever apologise .

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For me it was Peter Knowles but Bully and Neves come close.
Do you remember that last game v Forest, when he came off I bet my mate he would be back once that eagle didn't carry the earth off for our sins, ( that was the JW believed )
think i might have lost that bet now.
Was my hero at the time just behind the Doog, but its Bully all day long for me, and Neves will come close if he stays another 5 years, but we know its just a stepping stone to a top club, Bully was Wolves to the end,

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the Czechoslovakia game watching it on Sports Night. My mom had no idea I was upstairs still awake watching in bed, supposedly neither did my dad but as soon as the first goal went in we shouted the house down on the landing :D

Great memories of Bully. The saddest thing was watching and knowing his chances of playing regularly for England and then Premier League football were disappearing before our eyes. He deserved it.

molineux man

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think the main reason I was so incredibly gutted about our play-off defeats in the 90s was because I knew Bully’s chances at playing in the top flight for Wolves were slipping away. There was always going to plenty more opportunities for Wolves to be promoted - not so for Bully.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you remember that last game v Forest, when he came off I bet my mate he would be back once that eagle didn't carry the earth off for our sins, ( that was the JW believed )
think i might have lost that bet now.
Was my hero at the time just behind the Doog, but its Bully all day long for me, and Neves will come close if he stays another 5 years, but we know its just a stepping stone to a top club, Bully was Wolves to the end,
Well he did return for a couple of testimonials so maybe you should collect your bet? :)

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has any footballer had more songs than what Bully had over the years for one player?
Very true SuperWolves
TBF Lee Hughes is up there with numerous vile renditions about him all made up and sang by us.
Bully was a King
Hughes was and always will be a horrible little ****
See you next Tuesday

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very true SuperWolves
TBF Lee Hughes is up there with numerous vile renditions about him all made up and sang by us.
Bully was a King
See you next Tuesday
Bloody fencesitter lol....

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Very true SuperWolves
Bully was a King
See you next Tuesday

there was the one about Asa Hartford, can't remember all the words, plus the ones i do would just me filtered out. LOL

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
there was the one about Asa Hartford, can't remember all the words, plus the ones i do would just me filtered out. LOL
He was, according to the fans, a whole-hearted player, lol.....

Edited to add:
You have to be a certain age to understand that comment lol....

Last edited:

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He was, according to the fans, a whole-hearted player, lol.....

Their was another line that today would be classed as Racism,
he was a nasty little b----d. never forget when he tried to cut Waggy in half with one tackle.
He went to Man City if i remember,

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their was another line that today would be classed as Racism,
he was a nasty little b----d. never forget when he tried to cut Waggy in half with one tackle.
He went to Man City if i remember,
Yes was going to dirty Leeds but found the hole in his heart so failed medical and city had cut price deal

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes was going to dirty Leeds but found the hole in his heart so failed medical and city had cut price deal
Well done your right Tonto, would have suited them perfectly. memories aye,

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I remember right it was£250,000 reduced to £180,000
Wouldn’t get much for that now would you

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If I remember right it was£250,000 reduced to £180,000
Wouldn’t get much for that now would you
they didn't get much from him either did they, i think if it had been reduced to £1.80 Man City should have got change, LOL
A Horrid little critter,

Back
Top Bottom