Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

An identity

MattWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I really don’t want to bash FOSUN because let’s be honest we would be languishing in the lower region of the championship still…HOWEVER….

I would love for them to be open and honest with us about their plans for the club and what they want our footballing identity to be.

Winning games is the most important thing, I get it…but without an identity, it makes moments like now trying to recruit a manager or recruiting the right players harder.

We lined up two managers, with two completely different philosophies which just doesn’t make any sense to me?

You only need to look as far as Brentford or Brighton, they both have a certain way of playing which means recruiting managers and players is so much easier and you get more from them.

We started to build a connection with the club, we all bought into the one pack mentality and I feel all of that has just been forgotten?

What’s going on!??

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really don’t want to bash FOSUN because let’s be honest we would be languishing in the lower region of the championship still…HOWEVER….

I would love for them to be open and honest with us about their plans for the club and what they want our footballing identity to be.

Winning games is the most important thing, I get it…but without an identity, it makes moments like now trying to recruit a manager or recruiting the right players harder.

We lined up two managers, with two completely different philosophies which just doesn’t make any sense to me?

You only need to look as far as Brentford or Brighton, they both have a certain way of playing which means recruiting managers and players is so much easier and you get more from them.

We started to build a connection with the club, we all bought into the one pack mentality and I feel all of that has just been forgotten?

What’s going on!??
Isn't the identity to purchase young players, improve them and sell them for a big profit? In a Monaco style. Well at least that was the idea, other than Jota it's not really happened.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What’s going on!??
Sorry, but how are their philosophies staggeringly different? Both guys come from a background in youth coaching. Both are about possession football. It is not Bruno was staggeringly different in that regard either.
One is a much bigger gamble than the other for obvious experience reasons. But that isn't philosophy is it?
Brentford yeah i would have loved Frank but Brighton...again I will start praising their appointment when he actually wins a game. We have been as **** as it is possible for this squad to be and both teams aren't miles above us.
For me the undue praise for mediocre teams, with similar models to us gets on my tits.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't the identity to purchase young players, improve them and sell them for a big profit? In a Monaco style. Well at least that was the idea, other than Jota it's not really happened.

Because TBF other than Neves we haven’t vastly improved any other player to the extent they’d command a decent fee.

That’s the major flaw with this strategy, it is so hard to unearth these players that have the mindset to turn potential into the finished product. If it was that easy every club would be at it.

Plus the PL is so competitive it’s almost impossible to give these younger players enough game time to develop into salable assets.

MattWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Sorry, but how are their philosophies staggeringly different? Both guys come from a background in youth coaching. Both are about possession football. It is not Bruno was staggeringly different in that regard either.
One is a much bigger gamble than the other for obvious experience reasons. But that isn't philosophy is it?
Brentford yeah i would have loved Frank but Brighton...again I will start praising their appointment when he actually wins a game. We have been as **** as it is possible for this squad to be and both teams aren't miles above us.
For me the undue praise for mediocre teams, with similar models to us gets on my tits.
Lopetugui and Beale are completely different in the way they get their teams to play football. It's not even remotely similar.

One is defensively minded and setups up his teams that way, whereas Beale prefers a faster-flowing more attacking approach.

I'm not saying the Brighton appointment was a good one, it's too soon to answer that but they have identified a manager who plays a certain way.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Lopetugui and Beale are completely different in the way they get their teams to play football. It's not even remotely similar.

One is defensively minded and setups up his teams that way, whereas Beale prefers a faster-flowing more attacking approach.

I'm not saying the Brighton appointment was a good one, it's too soon to answer that but they have identified a manager who plays a certain way.
We identified Bruno as playing a different way to nuno ie an attacking coach he ended up playing the same as Nuno

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We identified Bruno as playing a different way to nuno ie an attacking coach he ended up playing the same as Nuno

Because to be an attacking team that wins enough games to stay up in the PL you need to be exceptionally good.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We got MGW for nothing via the academy and sold him for a minimum £25million as well.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Our identity used to be compact and very organised defense with aggressive transitions to counter attacking football as well as the ’One Pack’ mentality with the fans.

Yes it was never high scoring, but it didn’t have to be anything else, and the team were amongst the best at doing it. It didn’t matter that opposition knew how we played, they still had to stop it, and most couldn’t.

Personally I think if the club had just upgraded in a couple of positions in this model (ie if they’d actually put their necks out and payed the release fee for Dias), got a ‘better Docherty’ etc the team could have kicked on and had a chance of breaking into the ‘top 6’.

Instead, for many reasons that have been done to death, it was decided to transition away from that, we sold two players who made the previous identity successful (and were our second and third highest goal scorers), but then didn’t support the transition, instead splurging £70million on a future prospect and a Barcelona squad player who‘s taken a season to get used to the PL leaving the squad neither ‘here’ nor ‘there’.

We then got rid of the man who personified the ‘off pitch identity’ and had built the relationship between the team and the fans and nothing has been done to replace either playing identity or off pitch identity.

This is 100% on the ‘executive staff’ at the club and needs to change (and change quick).

Back
Top Bottom