Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

'Actually quite mad': Michail Antonio can't believe decision Mikel Arteta made on Arsenal star against Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jordan Harris

Michail Antonio and Tom Cairney have expressed their disbelief at one decision Mikel Arteta made with Kai Havertz as Arsenal thrashed Chelsea 5-0 at the Emirates on Tuesday.

Arsenal made a real statement as they look to pile the pressure on Manchester City at the top of the Premier League table, following a hard-fought win over Wolves with an emphatic thrashing of Mauricio Pochettino’s side.

The Gunners were only 1-0 up at half-time before flying through the gears after the break, with Ben White and Kai Havertz both scoring twice.

Of course, Havertz’s goals were particularly significant given that he signed from Chelsea in the summer, and it was also the first time that the German has scored twice in one game for Arsenal.

Michail Antonio baffled by Mikel Arteta decision on Kai Havertz in Arsenal win​

However, Mikel Arteta decided to take Havertz off just seven minutes after his second goal, with Gabriel Jesus replacing the 24-year-old.

It has been a turbulent first full season for the forward, with Havertz finding some form while leading the line for the Arsenal. And with that, both Michail Antonio and Tom Cairney have told The Footballer’s Football Podcast that they cannot quite believe that Arteta did not give Havertz longer to try and score his hat-trick against the Blues.

Photo by Charlotte Wilson/Offside/Offside via Getty Images

Cairney said: “Are you raging if he takes you off on two goals against your former team?”

“One hundred, million percent,” Antonio replied.

“I was like I cannot believe he’s just taken him off. There’s like 15 minutes left as well,” Cairney said.

“It’s actually quite mad. I don’t care who it is, if I’ve got two goals, don’t take me off,” Antonio added.

Why Gunners star will have understood substitution​

It is hard to imagine Havertz cared too much. Ultimately, we are at the stage of the season where all that matters is winning games and keeping pressure on Manchester City, and Havertz has proved to be the best striker Arsenal have got right now.

The situation would have perhaps been different if the score was 2-2 and the Gunners were searching for a winner while Havertz was on a hat-trick, but again, the end result would be much more important than his personal achievements.

Arsenal have thrived because of how hard the squad works for each other, with a wide range of players producing superstar performances throughout the season.

And crucially, Arsenal have plenty of major battles ahead if they want to get across the line.

The post 'Actually quite mad': Michail Antonio can't believe decision Mikel Arteta made on Arsenal star against Chelsea appeared first on TBR Football.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom