Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FA Cup Replays SCRAPPED

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really poor that the EFL and its clubs weren’t consulted at all, absolutely stinks. The top clubs scream player welfare but are more than happy to send them off around the world playing exhibition matches. I hate what modern football is becoming.

It absolutely stinks. Time to remove these jokers from running our game.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally think there’s a massive over reaction to this (as there seems to be on a lot of things on here these days tbh).

To me it makes sense. Clubs in the football league are already playing 46 league games plus cup competitions, it’s a ridiculous schedule.

Loads of times over the years Iv read on here “last thing we want is a replay” before an FA Cup tie. Think it’s better that you can now go to the game knowing they’ll be a result on the day.

Don’t get the “it’s not fair on the non league clubs” argument either. How many non league clubs in the last 30 years have played a premier league club and forced a replay? If anything this actually gives lower league sides a better chance of progressing against bigger sides.

I think it’s a positive change for the competition.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If people’s concern is a financial pay day for lower league teams, how about doing away with replays but seeding the prem teams in a round or two? Plus maybe giving the non prem team the choice of playing home or away? It would guarantee lots of ties that actually quite rarely happen with a straight draw and replays.

Be dreadful for us. The good thing at the moment is that, like happened this season, Arsenal can draw Liverpool in the third round and one of them goes out. If you start seeding it we’d have even less chance.

Reactions: Ian

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Potentially it works in favour of the lower league clubs. If they get to penalties against a Prem team, they have a 50/50 chance of winning.

Assuming the extra sub permitted in extra time and the PL teams superior fitness doesn’t shine through in extra time.

The point is the Walsall’s of this world would have zero expectation of getting to round four if they drew Arsenal at home in round three. They would however expect to make £1million from any replay, which is what they’d really be annoyed with.

Somebody mentioned earlier in the thread about both clubs agreeing before hand as to whether a tie should be replayed. I’m certain something like this already exists (or existed) in the early qualifying rounds.

I personally think this change will see the phasing out of PL clubs fielding weakened sides as they won’t want to risk the prospect of a replay.

If the EFL/Non league clubs feel so strongly about this, they should not bother entering next season. That would send the FA a message.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Didn’t the final used to go to a replay years ago? Imagine that now.

Reading the full thing, I like the move to scrap the midweek round of the cup, but scrapping replays feels like a real move away from the traditions of the cup. A Premier League team who wins the FA Cup will only play 6 games in the competition, if one or two go to replay along the way it doesn’t feel like a massive hardship.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be dreadful for us. The good thing at the moment is that, like happened this season, Arsenal can draw Liverpool in the third round and one of them goes out. If you start seeding it we’d have even less chance.
Good point. But I suppose it balances out as we wouldn’t get Man City away in the 3rd round ourselves.
Personally I’ve always found it boring when you get a team from your own division in a cup draw.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t the final used to go to a replay years ago? Imagine that now.

Reading the full thing, I like the move to scrap the midweek round of the cup, but scrapping replays feels like a real move away from the traditions of the cup. A Premier League team who wins the FA Cup will only play 6 games in the competition, if one or two go to replay along the way it doesn’t feel like a massive hardship.

What the heck do you mean young lady by years ago .................... .................................Man Utd beat Palace 1-0 in 1990 and then in 1993 Sheffield Wednesday lost 2-1 to Arsenal ......................

I remember those Thursday night replays like they were yesterday and it was only 31 years go :D:D:D:D

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clubs in the football league are already playing 46 league games plus cup competitions, it’s a ridiculous schedule. Loads of times over the years Iv read on here “last thing we want is a replay” before an FA Cup tie. Think it’s better that you can now go to the game knowing they’ll be a result on the day.

Don’t get the “it’s not fair on the non league clubs” argument either. How many non league clubs in the last 30 years have played a premier league club and forced a replay? If anything this actually gives lower league sides a better chance of progressing against bigger sides. I think it’s a positive change for the competition.
EFL sides have had to play 46 league games since 1988. Given that the FA explicitly said it's to assist clubs in European competitions, I doubt the other 85+ clubs were of any consideration whatsoever. Within the first 24 hours, club statements have emerged from Tranmere, Peterborough, Grimsby, Accrington, Chester, Stevenage and Farnborough, and they all have the same refrain: there was no consultation, and it is an elitist decision that is flagrantly disrespectful to the rest of the football pyramid and the fans, as well as potentially devastating financially.

Replays are what make the FA Cup uniquely the FA Cup, now it's just any old cup competition with little to distinguish it from any other. The “last thing we want is a replay” argument is solipsistic fans being solipsistic out of pure self-interest; it does not mean scrapping replays is best for the competition or for English Football as a whole. As @JR WAS KING says, no Wolves fan was saying that when we battled with 10 men to take Brentford back to Molineux and beat them, to set up a tie with the Baggies. Given how hard we had to run in that game with a man disadvantage, I would not have fancied us in a shootout.

As I and others have already said, there are a host of less radical and more incremental compromises that could have been made instead, like both clubs agreeing ahead of time to go straight to penalties. If the incoming regulator wants to get into peoples' good graces right away, they can undo this self-serving farce as a priority.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Feels like the Football League Board and the Premier League Board have sat in a room and done a bit of horse trading

PL "We want no replays, thinking about the strain that puts on the small squads of lower league teams, and the Premier League final games to be the last games of the season, you know how much we love the spotlight."
FL "Okay but in return we'll want PL free FA Cup weekends and erm a shed load of cash, if you have any going spare"
PL "Fine, we can manage that and we'll even give you a free week, er weekend, so you don't have to play a round on erm, don't tell em Pike, Wednesdays,"
FL "it's a deal"
PL "Don't you have to consult your members on the terms and how you're going to distribute the brown envelope, err equitable distribution of funds?"
Jezz Moxey sitting smugly in the corner stroking his white cat, "Don't you worry, I have that in hand....."

loppers86

Reaction score
night time david vs goliath replays at the likes of Chasetown are the essence of the ‘magic of the FA Cup’.

The reason the Premier League is so successful (commercially) is historical - it capitalises (literally) on the football heritage and traditions of this country, of which the ‘magic of the FA cup’ is one of the biggest influences.

With VAR, no cup replays, bournmouth playing FC Qarabag at 9.00am on Monday morning, ticket prices heading for £100 per game and worst of all the incessant talking about Big 6 on TV and referring to everyone else as if they are cannon fodder….

I’m going to start going to Kidderminster from next year.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's time we ditched a cup competition personally....Keep the fa cup and replays but get a 3/4th rounds out the way before Christmas...1 cup competition and a proper winter break in line with the other leagues....
What, ditch the competition that Wolves won in 74 and 80 and give us even less chance of grabbing a piece of silverware. :(
We agree on a lot of things matey, but not sure I share your thoughts on this one.

I'm guessing you've got a nice little villa in the southern hemisphere and want to enjoy an extended winter holiday in the sun without missing a game. :D

P. S. looked out for you at Notts but think you were always a pub ahead of me as I started the circuit in town (King Billy, Partizan etc).

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What, ditch the competition that Wolves won in 74 and 80 and give us even less chance of grabbing a piece of silverware. :(
We agree on a lot of things matey, but not sure I share your thoughts on this one.

I'm guessing you've got a nice little villa in the southern hemisphere and want to enjoy an extended winter holiday in the sun without missing a game. :D

P. S. looked out for you at Notts but think you were always a pub ahead of me as I started the circuit in town (King Billy, Partizan etc).
The cups are gone anyway....only the big teams win them by and large.....having to juggle that many competitions isn't suited to small squads like ours and the rest of the similar teams to us... unfortunately football isn't the same as what it was in 74,80 it's all about money nw.....it wasn't just us who won competitions in those times it was loads of clubs.......them days are gone....

We maybe able to field stronger teams if the less is more was applied , instead of having to run players into the ground...that many competitions only favours the big clubs... Liverpool and Man Utd struggle winning things...what chance have we got...

I drunk it dry anyway the castle Rock brewery.....took me a bit to recover this week....

Last edited:

Madmalc

Reaction score
With no replays it will be interesting to see if the practice of Premier League sides sending B teams to play lower league sides will continue.
The prospect of being held to a draw to then exit on penalties may be enough to see stronger sides fielded.
That may also give fans at lower league grounds the chance to watch Premier League stars they wouldn't see under the current replay system.
Another side effect could be an improvement in penalty taking skills throughout English players, which would have been beneficial in the past.

fleck1

Reaction score
Some of the great FA cup memories are of them replays under the lights. Typical elitist decision, just another nail in the coffin of the pyramid. 700+ teams enter the competition, yet a small minority were allowed to make the decision without consultation. The same super rich teams that pushed for a super league, spend every week moaning they are tired but if the get a free week will jet off to Dubai, America or Australia to play a load of farmers for ££££. This should and hopefully will blow up as much as the super league decision.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems the clubs most able to cope with additional fixtures are the top clubs with large squads (the same ones who want them gone, and who already play less fixtures in the competition than lower clubs) they don’t need the extra revenue from a few extra ties and just want to concentrate of league and European competitions.
They’re entitled to that view and should have a say in the decision, but so should all the other clubs involved in the competition. The way the decision has been made without any discussion with all involved is a disgrace. If it went to a vote of all clubs involved I can’t see it getting voted through

Last edited:

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
If it was up to me I would keep the cup replays, but it is a better solution to get rid than have replays for some rounds and not others.

I do think some of the outrage is a bit over the top though, if you're a league 1/2/NL club and you're relying on drawing a big team in the cup to save you from financial ruin then you're gambling massively and your financial problems aren't going to be solved by a one off windfall. For it to make any kind of difference you have got to:

a) Be one of the 20 out of 700+ clubs to make it through to the 3rd round
b) Be lucky enough in the draw to get, lets say one of the PL's top 10, so a roughly 1 in 7 chance
c) Hold that vastly superior team to a draw - highly unlikely

It happens I know, probably to one lucky club per season on average but scrapping replays takes away just one of three high unlikely scenarios. The chances of Forest Green getting to play at Old Trafford in the cup aren't diminished by a great deal.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever side of the fence you are on with the decision - there is absolutely no excuse for only consulting PL teams. English football is about more than the top 20 teams.

The top teams always bleating on about too many games... the season ends on the 19th May. On 22nd May, Spurs play Newcastle in a friendly... in Australia. But yes, FA Cup replays are the real issue.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it was up to me I would keep the cup replays, but it is a better solution to get rid than have replays for some rounds and not others.

I do think some of the outrage is a bit over the top though, if you're a league 1/2/NL club and you're relying on drawing a big team in the cup to save you from financial ruin then you're gambling massively and your financial problems aren't going to be solved by a one off windfall. For it to make any kind of difference you have got to:

a) Be one of the 20 out of 700+ clubs to make it through to the 3rd round
b) Be lucky enough in the draw to get, lets say one of the PL's top 10, so a roughly 1 in 7 chance
c) Hold that vastly superior team to a draw - highly unlikely

It happens I know, probably to one lucky club per season on average but scrapping replays takes away just one of three high unlikely scenarios. The chances of Forest Green getting to play at Old Trafford in the cup aren't diminished by a great deal.

Our local team is Horsham. In the FA Cup this season, they drew Barnsley away, and took more supporters than who can turn up to their home ground. That didn’t earn the club much. Barnsley underestimated them, put out a weak team, and were lucky to hold Horsham to a draw and replay down in Horsham. There, Horsham had tv cameras, and a sell out crowd. That was down to them holding Barnsley in the original away tie, and TV looking for an upset. No cameras in the original leg, and more Horsham fans up there than home Barnsley fans. Horsham is a part time team, with a new stadium holding only a few thousand mostly standing fans. For a club like this, even a few thousand pounds is a big deal. In this case, they received an additional £35k through the home replay with ITV cameras present. That’s enough to cover much of their operating expenses for the entire season.

As you can imagine, they also put out a statement expressing their unhappiness with this PL / FA stitch up.

Last edited:

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Whatever side of the fence you are on with the decision - there is absolutely no excuse for only consulting PL teams. English football is about more than the top 20 teams.

The top teams always bleating on about too many games... the season ends on the 19th May. On 22nd May, Spurs play Newcastle in a friendly... in Australia. But yes, FA Cup replays are the real issue.
Sounds like they are now trying to say the EFL were including .

All a right old mess.

And now about money ofcourse .

Well someone is telling porkies.

Not great when the powers that be are at each others throats.

Last edited:

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Peterborough United have issued a statement criticising the decision, and I think Grimsby Town have.

If fans boycotted FA cup games, then I wager there would be a rethink.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not too fussed either way. For all the talk about it being another nail in the coffin for the FA Cup it's still going to be played every season. And one day I hope to see Wolves win it.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Sounds like they are now trying to say the EFL were including .

All a right old mess.

And now about money ofcourse .

Well someone is telling porkies.

Not great when the powers that be are at each others throats.

Would really love it if the EFL withdrew from the FA Cup for a season.

I love the cup more than the league if I'm honest, but sometimes you have to take drastic action to preserve what you love.

Mark my words this is the thin end of the wedge. Next time they come to the table it will be to ask for PL teams in Europe to be exempted until the 5th round, then it'll be The FA to give up a European spot and the EFL to lose their spot for the Football League Cup.

I just wish the Sly Six would **** off to Europe and take PGMOL and VAR with them...

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not too fussed either way. For all the talk about it being another nail in the coffin for the FA Cup it's still going to be played every season. And one day I hope to see Wolves win it.

I do think its all posturing though. The prem have shot themselves in the foot with this because the EFL response has been vociferous and coordinated. Most likely bigger share on revenue deal now wanted and then the noise will quieten.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
EFL sides have had to play 46 league games since 1988. Given that the FA explicitly said it's to assist clubs in European competitions, I doubt the other 85+ clubs were of any consideration whatsoever. Within the first 24 hours, club statements have emerged from Tranmere, Peterborough, Grimsby, Accrington, Chester, Stevenage and Farnborough, and they all have the same refrain: there was no consultation, and it is an elitist decision that is flagrantly disrespectful to the rest of the football pyramid and the fans, as well as potentially devastating financially.

Replays are what make the FA Cup uniquely the FA Cup, now it's just any old cup competition with little to distinguish it from any other. The “last thing we want is a replay” argument is solipsistic fans being solipsistic out of pure self-interest; it does not mean scrapping replays is best for the competition or for English Football as a whole. As @JR WAS KING says, no Wolves fan was saying that when we battled with 10 men to take Brentford back to Molineux and beat them, to set up a tie with the Baggies. Given how hard we had to run in that game with a man disadvantage, I would not have fancied us in a shootout.

As I and others have already said, there are a host of less radical and more incremental compromises that could have been made instead, like both clubs agreeing ahead of time to go straight to penalties. If the incoming regulator wants to get into peoples' good graces right away, they can undo this self-serving farce as a priority.
Oh don’t get me wrong I’m not suggesting that this has been to help anyone but the big clubs, but the schedule in the football league is absolutely daft and this will help that a little bit.

I’d also agree that it’s **** that the rest of the pyramid wasn’t consulted.

However replays aren’t unique to the FA cup. The league cup had them for about 30 years, until they got rid of them.

Let’s not pretend the smaller clubs are bothered about history or tradition. They’re just as interested in money as everyone else. Tranmere mention “life long memories for supporters” load of nonsense. They then talk about “a hugely important source of income” which is actually what the gripe is really about (although they havnt had a replay in 4 years).

To be honest, the clubs further down shouldn’t be budgeting on a cup run anyway so it’s daft to say this decision could be “financially devastating”. If your club needs an fa cup replay to survive then it’s not being run very well.

Accept I’m in the minority on here but I’m honestly pleased with this. Much prefer knowing I’m going to see a result on the day.

If Tranmere get Everton in the cup next season, they’ll get a big, bonus, pay day. If they manage to hang on for a draw then they’ll get a penalty shootout to knock them out. If they managed it, that would be life long memories for their fans, much better for the fans, in my opinion, than a replay at Goodison that they lose 4-0.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree.
I think it’s better to have it settled on the day on a weekend and when no premier games are scheduled. It might help raise the profile of the competition again.
No idea why they’re dragging the 4th round out over 5 days though.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really poor that the EFL and its clubs weren’t consulted at all, absolutely stinks. The top clubs scream player welfare but are more than happy to send them off around the world playing exhibition matches. I hate what modern football is becoming.
On the BBC news just now the FA says the EFL were consulted and the EFL are saying they were not? Someone is lying.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
night time david vs goliath replays at the likes of Chasetown are the essence of the ‘magic of the FA Cup’.

The reason the Premier League is so successful (commercially) is historical - it capitalises (literally) on the football heritage and traditions of this country, of which the ‘magic of the FA cup’ is one of the biggest influences.

With VAR, no cup replays, bournmouth playing FC Qarabag at 9.00am on Monday morning, ticket prices heading for £100 per game and worst of all the incessant talking about Big 6 on TV and referring to everyone else as if they are cannon fodder….

I’m going to start going to Kidderminster from next year.
For once, zero disagreement.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh don’t get me wrong I’m not suggesting that this has been to help anyone but the big clubs, but the schedule in the football league is absolutely daft and this will help that a little bit.

I’d also agree that it’s **** that the rest of the pyramid wasn’t consulted.

However replays aren’t unique to the FA cup. The league cup had them for about 30 years, until they got rid of them.

Let’s not pretend the smaller clubs are bothered about history or tradition. They’re just as interested in money as everyone else. Tranmere mention “life long memories for supporters” load of nonsense. They then talk about “a hugely important source of income” which is actually what the gripe is really about (although they havnt had a replay in 4 years).

To be honest, the clubs further down shouldn’t be budgeting on a cup run anyway so it’s daft to say this decision could be “financially devastating”. If your club needs an fa cup replay to survive then it’s not being run very well.

Accept I’m in the minority on here but I’m honestly pleased with this. Much prefer knowing I’m going to see a result on the day.

If Tranmere get Everton in the cup next season, they’ll get a big, bonus, pay day. If they manage to hang on for a draw then they’ll get a penalty shootout to knock them out. If they managed it, that would be life long memories for their fans, much better for the fans, in my opinion, than a replay at Goodison that they lose 4-0.
One of Tranmere's most memorable ever games is being 3-0 down at half time in an FA Cup replay to top flight Southampton, which they then won 4-3. I think you are being short sighted, and I normally agree with most of your posts.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why are the FA being held at gunpoint by the "big six"? Have they lost all memory of the attempted European Super League 3 years ago to this month? Why are they pandering to them? All they got was a slap on the wrist and a fine that was pocket change to all of them.

Before anyone says its the entire Premier League, its obviously not, they've been collectively pushing for a reduction in FA Cup games for years.

Sometimes I wish the Super League went through, scrap the Premier League, and go back to four divisions. At least there would be some semblance of competitive balance again.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Peterborough United have issued a statement criticising the decision, and I think Grimsby Town have.

If fans boycotted FA cup games, then I wager there would be a rethink.
No boycotts or petitions will work. Capital is the deciding factor, and sentiment will be ignored as it always is sadly.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hmm, whose claim to believe - the EFL's, independently corroborated by statements made by several football league clubs, or the FA in full damage control mode?

Someone is being economical with the truth. I suppose it will all come out in time. Notts County now the latest club to issue a statement condemning the decision.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why are the FA being held at gunpoint by the "big six"? Have they lost all memory of the attempted European Super League 3 years ago to this month? Why are they pandering to them? All they got was a slap on the wrist and a fine that was pocket change to all of them.

Do you even need to ask why the FA has gone along with it lol. The answer as always with football these days is it starts and ends with a big bag of money.

Reactions: Ian
Back
Top Bottom