Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FA charge GON

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is what I am basing this on. From The Athletic
View attachment 41767

"As it was a subjective decision , Robinson requested Harrington to approach the monitor."

How else would one read that?! It's just insulting.
Right. So, offside is objective, but the part of offside about players blocking a keeper's vision is subjective, but despite it being subjective, the "clear and obvious" error standard doesn't apply, for some reason. From the same organisation that insisted Onana on Sasa was just a "normal collision". The new excuse they make up to justify their incompetence gets more ridiculous each time.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Right. So, offside is objective, but the part of offside about players blocking a keeper's vision is subjective, but despite it being subjective, the "clear and obvious" error standard doesn't apply, for some reason. From the same organisation that insisted Onana on Sasa was just a "normal collision". The new excuse they make up to justify their incompetence gets more ridiculous each time.
They just make it up as they go, and there's nothing anyone can do about it because reasons. It doesn't matter.

Jeez this makes me angry. I was ready to just let it go as more nonsense, but this "explanation" has angered me even more.

It's pure insanity that I follow this at all, really...

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although im totally with GON over that decision,total farce,he said himself he would probably get punished for going ape at the end
He needs to keep a lid on his anger,as difficult as it is sometimes,i think thats the 5th time he has been booked this season ,not a great look for a manager

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can be offside and still score. Different circumstances but I’m pretty sure Salah was offside when he scored against us in the cup game last season - i think it was Toti that misconstrued a header which VAR claimed was deliberate

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His defence should be that his behaviour can be deemed to be subjective.

Whilst the ref may be hurt by his behaviour and his mean words, others may not deem it to be offensive - therefore unless there was a witness 150 miles away, to watch the interaction 20 times in slow motion, it would be impossible to conclusively prove the charge or not.

Last edited:

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do wolves get a copy of the Audio from the refs?

We should come out and play the audio alongside the mistakes to show how bent it is

Chriswwfc

Reaction score
His defence should be that his behaviour can be deemed to be subjective.

Whilst the ref may be hurt by his behaviour and his mean words, others may not deem it to be offensive - therefore unless there was a witness 150 miles away, to watch the interaction 20 times in slow motion, it would be impossible to conclusively prove the charge or not.

That is a perfect response hahaha!

The thick ****s wouldn’t understand the irony.

Lud-wolf

Reaction score
Have a look at the 6 years ago today thread video. Imagine VAR being in operation when Neves scored possibly one of the best goals ever scored at Moulineux and the idiot at Stockley Park sent the ref to the monitor as there appears to be two Wolves players offside, stood on that side of the goal. The sad thing is it wouldn't surprise me if we had scored that goal on Saturday, after much deliberation they decided to disallow the goal.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember Mick doing similar when Milijas was sent off for winning the ball.
Arsenal away 2011 when whinger Wenger was their manager.

Ridiculous decision for an apparent foul on Mikel Arteta, who has took over the role as Arsenal manager and never gives credit to anybody.

I remember it well and Stuart Attwell was the referee. We drew 1-1 and it was a decision he would probably have changed his mind about if VAR had intervened back then. Then again, I think not!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although im totally with GON over that decision,total farce,he said himself he would probably get punished for going ape at the end
He needs to keep a lid on his anger,as difficult as it is sometimes,i think thats the 5th time he has been booked this season ,not a great look for a manager
Is that all.

It should have been 7!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that's what got him charged in the first place!

While I understand his frustration, I'd prefer it if he could act professionally at all times.
The problem in UK is we cow-tow all the time in virtually every situation. We've been shafted by VAR 7 times this season and as a result could/will lose a European slot. I just wish 1 manager would have the balls to stand up to the FA and say he will not pay a fine, will not apologise and demand a full appeal hearing. It won't happen I know so things just go on as normal. A highly publicised appeal hearing would get media attention, bring to light all Wolves bad VAR decisions and may make 1 or 2 people sit up and think. In my dreams.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will any punishment (assuming there will be) include a touchline ban, as that won't help the run in?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed. Antonio standing offside and impeding Sa at the other end was far worse (and yes I know it went straight in)
So if it went straight in, Antonio wasn’t off side! That was my point.
Could argue it was obstruction, but that seems to have a very low bar allowing refs to make up the rules however they choose….

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Completely agree. They should turn up to the hearing with frame by frame shots of each of the errors this season that have cost us points. Then ask is it reasonable to be annoyed given these errors have cost us 5-7 million?
Well if they're playing PSR hokeycokey with Everton and forest, maybe at the end of the season the Premier league should do an audit, and say Wolves awarded plus 10 points for VAR wrongs, Forest deducted 4 points for PSR etc... and publish an amended final standings. Lol.

WinchWolf

Reaction score
From the BBC: "Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) sources were adamant the call to rule Max Kilman's header out because Tawanda Chirewa was stood directly in front of Lukasz Fabianski was the right one, even though the Hammers' keeper had no chance of stopping the ball going in."

The useless ****wits are in a world of their own. Notably the charge GON faces in no way touches on that decision but on his behaviour. The last thing those ****s want is anyone independently reviewing their handywork...
In that link did you notice what Antonio says:

"It's a shambles. VAR is an actual shambles. Even though it's gone for me, we nicked a win because it's a shambles," Antonio told The Footballer's Football Podcast.

"Honestly, that's not offside mate. In any shape or form.

"VAR, I'd prefer if we just went back to normal. It has not helped football. Because they have spent so much money on it, they are scrambling, trying their hardest to keep it.

"Sometimes in life you meet people and they just don't fit in your life and you have to let them go. You have to let it go mate."
Asked if using ex-players in the VAR decision process, Antonio said: "It doesn't matter who is in there. At the end of the day it's a matter of opinion. Why VAR doesn't work in football is there are so many grey areas. So it will always be a matter of opinions. It doesn't make any sense. We've lost a bit of passion from the game. It hasn't helped. So, it's time to call it a day."

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The problem in UK is we cow-tow all the time in virtually every situation. We've been shafted by VAR 7 times this season and as a result could/will lose a European slot. I just wish 1 manager would have the balls to stand up to the FA and say he will not pay a fine, will not apologise and demand a full appeal hearing. It won't happen I know so things just go on as normal. A highly publicised appeal hearing would get media attention, bring to light all Wolves bad VAR decisions and may make 1 or 2 people sit up and think. In my dreams.
He can ask for a personal hearing, he can't avoid paying the fine, it's just nonsense. However mad we all were (and I'd have happily had words with the ref myself) the FA have the wider game to consider and respect for referees is integral to making the game work at all levels. So yes he should call it out as he did, he's had a lot of support for his words, but no, you can't go in aggressively to the ref's room - I thought there was a cooling off period anyway. People need to separate the shambles of VAR and officiating in general and this charge.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People seem surprised they've charged him. I predicted this would happen surprised its taken so long.

Even GON expected it when you see how he admitted he was too emotional (in other words shouting and swearing at the ref). You can't do that to a guy just doing his job (even if he's **** at it).

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In that link did you notice what Antonio says:

"It's a shambles. VAR is an actual shambles. Even though it's gone for me, we nicked a win because it's a shambles," Antonio told The Footballer's Football Podcast.

"Honestly, that's not offside mate. In any shape or form.

"VAR, I'd prefer if we just went back to normal. It has not helped football. Because they have spent so much money on it, they are scrambling, trying their hardest to keep it.

"Sometimes in life you meet people and they just don't fit in your life and you have to let them go. You have to let it go mate."
Asked if using ex-players in the VAR decision process, Antonio said: "It doesn't matter who is in there. At the end of the day it's a matter of opinion. Why VAR doesn't work in football is there are so many grey areas. So it will always be a matter of opinions. It doesn't make any sense. We've lost a bit of passion from the game. It hasn't helped. So, it's time to call it a day."

Antonio gone way up in my estimations after that. Wish other pros would stand up and say similar but the big stars are at the clubs getting the best out of VAR.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm glad he won't do that, that would just be pointless performative protest - virtue signalling, if you will. It wouldn't go anywhere, it wouldn't achieve anything, it would just be done because it feels satisfying.

It wouldn't lead to a highly publicised hearing where he could show evidence of VAR mistakes in court on TV, he'd just get a bigger fine, and probably a few matches of touchline ban.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Antonio gone way up in my estimations after that. Wish other pros would stand up and say similar but the big stars are at the clubs getting the best out of VAR.
I agree about Antonio, but it's not true to say "the big stars are at the clubs getting the best out of VAR". It's generally accepted in football (but perhaps not at Wolves, specifically), that Liverpool is the club that has suffered most because of VAR, this season. Flum, Forest and Everton seem to have benefited most. Hardly a Sky 6 bias!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I genuinely hope GON and the club tell the FA to stick their charge up their **** and ignore any punishment.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Completely agree. They should turn up to the hearing with frame by frame shots of each of the errors this season that have cost us points. Then ask is it reasonable to be annoyed given these errors have cost us 5-7 million?
I wonder if a club could factor poor ref/var decisions in games into their accounts for FFP?
Assuming league placing money counts.
So £(8m) for example

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even GON expected it when you see how he admitted he was too emotional (in other words shouting and swearing at the ref). You can't do that to a guy just doing his job (even if he's **** at it).
All of which is completely true

What about the ref absolutely bottling it though? He and his team saw nothing wrong. Original decision goal. Not one appeal. Then someone 100 miles away says there is a player in the eyeline. The logical answer is the player has zero impact. Made no difference. But Harrington becomes a toady and bottles his own decision.

Perhaps refs need to have a backbone to trust their own judgement. Had Harrington done what 99 percent of the football world thinks should have happened and said to VAR , thanks, not interfering Goal he would have been held up as a paragon of refereeing virtue and we would have been saying how refreshing for a ref to grow a pair. And still no one would have complained.

And Gary would be about 20k richer

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
Didn’t you say the decision was clearly correct?

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any chance the refereeing of games could be put out to tender so we could get people capable of doing their job?
I remember part time officials doing a better job than these jumped up arrogant clown, sack them all and start again

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
So lets get this right:

1. Chirewa was in an onside position when the corner was taken.
2. Fabianski has full and clear view of the ball.
3. Fabianski then chooses to remain standing behind Chirewa and pushes him in the back.
4. In that split second Chirewa has to adjust his balance, thus he is not able to get back into an onside position for Kilman's header as a direct result of Fabianski's action
5. As a result of Fabianski's push in the back of an onside Chirewa the goalkeeper now has a perfect unhindered view of the ball throughout the play.
6. Chirewa makes no attempt to play the ball potentially distracting Fabianski, nor does he make any attempt to make contact with the keeper or prevent him from moving.
7. The Referee makes a subjective decision to award the goal, as in his opinion there is no need to disallow it.
8. Fabanski does not make a claim that Chirewa has hindered his view. He is the only person who can actually say that for certain.
9. Photographic and video evidence prove that Fabianski can see the ball at all times during the corner and subsequent header and is not blocked from attempting a save.
10. VAR then recommend he "reviews" his decision based on the evidence outlined in points 1-9 and consider the other subjective call that Chirewa hinders Fabianski's line of sight despite evidence that he doesn't.
11. The referee reviews clear evidence that the goal should stand and decides to agree with VAR and disallow the goal, thus despite no clear and obvious error the game is re-refereed from a remote location via a TV screen.

Now Mr Chairman at what point do you think that Mr O'Neil was not within his rights to question the competence and integrity of the PGMOL officials when all evidence points to the fact that they "Don't Know What They're Doing"

Back
Top Bottom