Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FA charge GON

Chriswwfc

Reaction score
He needs to back himself now as this is ridiculous.

When he’s questioned about this pre-forest his response needs to be something along the lines of…
What’s the worst they can do? Make another bad decision which costs my team more points on top of the 10 they’ve already cost us?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was perfectly entitled to be upset with the terrible decision.

However I do think his comment that it was the worst ever decision was a bit OTT, it’s not even the worst decision we’ve had this season!

I think his outrage (like all of us) doesn’t just come from that decision, but from the accumulation of terrible decisions against us this season, one would hope that is taken into account when dealing out any punishment…..

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
God forbid that anyone dares to criticise the useless shower of crap that is PGMOL and it's members....

How many more times must the PGMOL bring the game into disrepute?
The club should defend this and say it how it is.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was perfectly entitled to be upset with the terrible decision.

However I do think his comment that it was the worst ever decision was a bit OTT, it’s not even the worst decision we’ve had this season!

I think his outrage (like all of us) doesn’t just come from that decision, but from the accumulation of terrible decisions against us this season, one would hope that is taken into account when dealing out any punishment…..
It's a subjective decision on his part. That's what he thinks.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My only concern here is that it may go against us on the field of play if the PGMOL stands together on this one.

Somehow, he has to keep his powder dry come the press interview and focus fully on Saturday's game.
Not easy I know after recent events, but further ranting imo won't help our cause and may play into the oppositions hand.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the one hand, being so apoplectic with rage that you have to be removed from the referee's room, is not a great look however you slice it. On the other - how toxic is VAR that it reduces an otherwise calm and well-considered man like Gary O'Neil to that behaviour? I doubt there's a single Premier League manager who heard that news and didn't think, "good on you, mate."

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the one hand, being so apoplectic with rage that you have to be removed from the referee's room, is not a great look however you slice it. On the other - how toxic is VAR that it reduces an otherwise calm and well-considered man like Gary O'Neil to that behaviour? I doubt there's a single Premier League manager who heard that news and didn't think, "good on you, mate."

Talking of other managers having sympathy with Gary O'Neil, I noticed at the final whistle Davie Moyes had hold of Gary's left arm trying to stop him from storming right out onto the field to confront Harrington. Davie Moyes has been on the end of a few " how the hell did they arrive at that " decisions himself so fair play to him for trying to play peace maker.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My only concern here is that it may go against us on the field of play if the PGMOL stands together on this one.

Somehow, he has to keep his powder dry come the press interview and focus fully on Saturday's game.
Not easy I know after recent events, but further ranting imo won't help our cause and may play into the oppositions hand.
Your first paragraph say it all as far as the PGMOL is concerned. That shouldn't be part of the equation but you can't, sadly, rule it out.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Talking of other managers having sympathy with Gary O'Neil, I noticed at the final whistle Davie Moyes had hold of Gary's left arm trying to stop him from storming right out onto the field to confront Harrington. Davie Moyes has been on the end of a few " how the hell did they arrive at that " decisions himself so fair play to him for trying to play peace maker.
I saw that the next day when I could finally bare to see it again and reached the same conclusion. The wise old head in Moyes was akin to watching two mates outside a nightclub with one trying to stop the other from rowing with a bouncer “leave it pal, it’s not worth it” lol

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone know the appeal process? Is it a written appeal or a legal physical one in front of the FA. This probably says more about me but if it’s the latter, I’d appeal and just not turn up for the hearing. Waste their time (as he’d clearly be wasting his time appealing anyway as they’ll already have decided his guilt), then just send the fine.

On a serious note. I hope both GON and the club release a statement about it, regardless of his behaviour the cause of it needs addressing.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the BBC: "Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) sources were adamant the call to rule Max Kilman's header out because Tawanda Chirewa was stood directly in front of Lukasz Fabianski was the right one, even though the Hammers' keeper had no chance of stopping the ball going in."

The useless ****wits are in a world of their own. Notably the charge GON faces in no way touches on that decision but on his behaviour. The last thing those ****s want is anyone independently reviewing their handywork...

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that's what got him charged in the first place!

While I understand his frustration, I'd prefer it if he could act professionally at all times.
Corruption though isn’t it. If that was arsenal the goal would of stood…. Clear and obvious they said VAR used for. This is forensic to stop goals and take away enjoyment from fans

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Corruption though isn’t it. If that was arsenal the goal would of stood…. Clear and obvious they said VAR used for. This is forensic to stop goals and take away enjoyment from fans

Big clubs have had shockers go against them too.

And even if he does believe the tinfoil hat theories, I very much doubt that screaming at a ref in a corridor is the best way to get improvements!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that's what got him charged in the first place!

While I understand his frustration, I'd prefer it if he could act professionally at all times.
Absolutely. By all means express annoyance or even anger but in a pro manner……don’t go over the line.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It should never have got near VAR because the on-field ref and his assistant gave a goal without hesitation and not a soul protested. There was no 'clear and obvious error'. The PGMOL need to explain why VAR intervened at all, because they have said time and again that the purpose of VAR is not to re-referee the match, but that is precisely what is happening.

Of course, all of that will be brushed under the carpet and the only focus will be GON's anger and language towards the officials. I think the club should demand a proper explanation of how that decision fits into the guidelines for the use of VAR, and if possible, produce footage of other goals where a forward was similarly offside and not interfering with play which were given as goals -- there must be many. The constant inconsistency (to coin a phrase) is what is driving reasonable men like GON and thousands of ordinary fans who have been watching the professional game for decades completely bonkers.

Last edited:

TheWolfFromWolverhampton

Reaction score
There was a Man City goal that wasn't chalked off that was similar, yet can't remember the incident. Where the Man City player actually touched the ball, and was in an offside position. And the goal stood. Tallk about double standards.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many more times must the PGMOL bring the game into disrepute?
The club should defend this and say it how it is.

Completely agree. They should turn up to the hearing with frame by frame shots of each of the errors this season that have cost us points. Then ask is it reasonable to be annoyed given these errors have cost us 5-7 million?

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I imagine if he’d got the decision “wrong”, he’d have been sent to Siberia for re education!
I wonder if the instruction with VAR is "either you will agree with VAR or you will be forced to explain yourself" and of course you can't actually explain yourself, thereby relegating a referee to a lower league and therefore less money, which won't please him nor his family.

It's not far-fetched, and it sure sounds familiar.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"the referee was sent to the monitor to reconsider his subjective decision" sounds pretty bad, doesn't it? Almost Soviet.
Is that what they said? It's nonsense. The decision of the VAR official to refer the referee's decision back to him is just as subjective as the original decision. They are both based on personal opinion.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is that what they said? It's nonsense. The decision of the VAR official to refer the referee's decision back to him is just as subjective as the original decision. They are both based on personal opinion.
They said it was a subjective decision, so he was asked to go to the monitor. I really don't think I'm stretching things much if at all.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if the instruction with VAR is "either you will agree with VAR or you will be forced to explain yourself" and of course you can't actually explain yourself, thereby relegating a referee to a lower league and therefore less money, which won't please him nor his family.

It's not far-fetched, and it sure sounds familiar.
There could be an element of it. They do get a basic wage and then a match fee, with the match fee altering depending on the division. Though I’m sure such a ludicrous decision means he’s got more chance of dropping to the championship.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would love to see the club produce a video of all the **** ups VAR has done, and in turn cost us points. Could play it at the press conference instead of the usual questions and answers.

Then let O'Neil explain why the FA can stick the charge up their ****, sideways!

Last edited:

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There could be an element of it. They do get a basic wage and then a match fee, with the match fee altering depending on the division. Though I’m sure such a ludicrous decision means he’s got more chance of dropping to the championship.
Are you sure? Guess we will see. Can't say I am. I think he would be in more trouble if he had stuck with his original decision.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So according to PGMOL they literally re-refereed that passage of play, which is exactly what it felt like at the time.

Despite the fact we're consistently told that is not what VAR is supposed to be there for.

Wonderful. Why don't we just play without a referee then he can just watch a replay of the game afterwards and award a score he feels is appropriate?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They said it was a subjective decision, so he was asked to go to the monitor. I really don't think I'm stretching things much if at all.
Wow… surely then that falls under “NOT clear and obvious” ???

Back
Top Bottom