Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Larry Lloyd passes away

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly another player who was in my Panini sticker albums of the 1970s has died. For those of us who were around at the time, that Forest centre back pairing of Larry Lloyd and Kenny Burns was one we all remember. What with those 2 in the centre back positions, Viv Anderson and Frank Clarke at the Full Back positions and some chap called Peter Shilton in goal it is no coincidence they conceded just 50 goals over the course of two seasons between 1977-78 and 78-79. Of course Forest were a far more likeable club than the current organisation. I read Larry Lloyd's biography and there are tales of some cracking clashes with Brian Clough. The best was he and Peter Osgood had a long running feud that dated back to when he was a Liverpool player ( he was signed by Bill Shankly and Clough / Taylor so there is a mark of how good a player he was ) and Ossie was at Chelsea. Osgood was now at Southampton and the fog had descended over the City Ground so Lloyd, who could mix it to coin that phrase, walloped Peter Osgood one laying him out flat. Larry Lloyd said he could not see the Forest dug out due to thick fog from where he thumped Osgood, which of course is why he did it ! Unfortunately Cloughie did see it ! Next time there was a break in play and he could see the sideline a green sweat shirted figure beckoned him over and told him " Right Big Head ( that was some praise for him when Cloughie thought Lloyd had an ego problem ! ) I saw what you did to Peter Osgood that is week's wages you owe me ! "

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A tough, no nonsense centre half. Nobody scared him, that is apart from Brian Clough. Larry Lloyd was part of the Nottingham Forest team that won two successive European Cups. I was surprised he didn’t win more England caps, as he was a very good centre half.

R.I.P.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
was suspended for the league cup final if i recall right,thats why david needham played and of course collided with shilton for the andy gray goal

You are right about the League Cup Final, he was suspended.

Cloughie bought David Needham from QPR for £250,000 at Christmas 1977 after Larry Lloyd broke his ankle. That was another clash with Clough as Lloyd hobbled into the Forest manager's office on crutches and demanded to how he stood with Forest after they bought Needham. " Not very well from where I am sitting with you on those crutches, now **** off out my office " came the typical Cloughie response !

Back
Top Bottom