Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Autism Initiatives - my grandson ...

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having received permission from @Mutchy here is a shameless request for help in supporting a great cause:

Hello, everyone

Following on from the many and varied, positive, responses to @TheWolfFromWolverhampton I hope you will forgive me both piggy backing on that wave of positivity and for taking up a thread to share this sponsorship link for a task that my stepdaughter and wife are doing in aid of Autism Initiatives.

My grandson, Dylan, has progressive Autism, so this type of charity fundraising is very close to our family. Katie and Jane have committed to do the “Walk for Autism” at the end of March – 80,000 steps, each, in eight days.

I’m sharing the link for a couple of reasons – maybe you have someone in your family or circle of friends that is affected by Autism and this might be something that you want to partake in or learn more about. It also provides an opportunity to sponsor someone who is taking part and make a small contribution to this great fundraising challenge, should you wish to do so.

Obviously, there is no obligation to sponsor Katie and Jane but, if you feel that you can, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read …

https://fundraise.autisminitiatives.org/fundraisers/katieswan

https://www.autisminitiatives.org/

In order to help with this being in the Football Forum, here's a little nugget about Dyl: He started watching Wolves, on the telly, with me when he was about 5. He liked the gold shirts and the green pitch but what really intrigued him was the running style of Leander Dendoncker. From that moment on Dyl was fascinated by his name and how it sounded when he said it. Dyl would always respond "Den - DONCKER" when asked who his favourite Wolves player was. Even now, Dendoncker is still his favourite Wolves player but he can't quite work out why he never sees him anymore. Whenever he comes to visit with granny and grandpa, he comes with a Wolves top, a Wolves bar scarf or (more often than not) a pair of Wolves socks. :smileycat:

Thanks for listening - Ciaran

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There have been a couple of anonymous donations since yesterday … if you are one of those then thank you very much.

TheWolfFromWolverhampton

Reaction score
Thanks for your support. It was the responses to you that encouraged me to share the link. Stay positive.
Thanks, I can remember when I was a child, I could have been diagnosed at around 5/6, yet the psychologists just said I had 'Dyslexia'. Took ages to get a diagnosis, mind you this is going back when less awareness of Autism. I was thirteen by the time I was diagnosed, wasn't the best time to get a diagnosis, in the midst of adolescents. Yet somehow I survived. Autism is a misunderstood condition, and I want to get the ball rolling on raising awareness on how, it can be understood better. I think it's getting there. It's 2024, a lot of waves of awareness. I found it funny he still thinks Den Docker still plays. I still talk of the days of Kenny Miller in his prime against Man Utd back in 2003 I believe it was. When we beat Man Utd 1-0. With that goal, and slip from Wes Brown.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
UPDATE: Some additional anonymous donations so, again, if you are one of those it is much appreciated. Both wife and daughter are getting ready for next week when the challenge kicks off - 10k steps each for eight consecutive days. (80,000 steps each ... approximately 40 miles of walking in those eight days).

Their current fundraising total is at £697. Initially, they were hoping to raise about £150 so you have helped to smash that original target. Overall, those taking part in the challenge have raised a total in excess of £500k to date:

1711026693089.png

https://fundraise.autisminitiatives.org/fundraisers/katieswan

https://www.autisminitiatives.org/

TheWolfFromWolverhampton

Reaction score
I am glad a lot of money is being raised. A friend of mine on here is recommending 'Inside Our Autistic Minds'. A documentary on BBC iPlayer, yet it's currently running on BBC1 and BBC2 also. Which gives a good perspective of the condition.

TheWolfFromWolverhampton

Reaction score
Hi, I am glad this is creating momentum. Awareness of Autism is crucial, despite what some people think. More awareness of Autism, in my case. Would help me, reduce the amount of misunderstandings I get into. I try and meet people half way. Have done lots of research. Yet, can I just add, that, because there is no cure for Autism. Having said that, I have known about this condition for a long time. Is there anything more I can do to offer support to the young wolfs out there. Need guidance and support, in a cruel and unforgiving world. As pack we look out for each other. I look out for all of the wolfs.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi, I am glad this is creating momentum. Awareness of Autism is crucial, despite what some people think. More awareness of Autism, in my case. Would help me, reduce the amount of misunderstandings I get into. I try and meet people half way. Have done lots of research. Yet, can I just add, that, because there is no cure for Autism. Having said that, I have known about this condition for a long time. Is there anything more I can do to offer support to the young wolfs out there. Need guidance and support, in a cruel and unforgiving world. As pack we look out for each other. I look out for all of the wolfs.
Hi Adam, good to hear from you! Can I just use this thread to recommend a wonderful, joyful tv programme for everyone to watch - The Pilgrimage: the road through North Wales. It's on BBC 2 on Thursdays at 9pm (3 episodes) . It's 7 'celebrities' walking the old pilgrimage route in N Wales and one of the walkers is Christine, ex-wife of comedian Paddy McGuinness, who has autism as has her 3 children. In the first episode, last Thursday, she got quite a lot of attention and spoke about her families' autism. I have not seen episode 2 or 3 yet but I think the show will give quite a bit of welcome exposure to autism which has to be a good thing.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Hi Adam, good to hear from you! Can I just use this thread to recommend a wonderful, joyful tv programme for everyone to watch - The Pilgrimage: the road through North Wales. It's on BBC 2 on Thursdays at 9pm (3 episodes) . It's 7 'celebrities' walking the old pilgrimage route in N Wales and one of the walkers is Christine, ex-wife of comedian Paddy McGuinness, who has autism as has her 3 children. In the first episode, last Thursday, she got quite a lot of attention and spoke about her families' autism. I have not seen episode 2 or 3 yet but I think the show will give quite a bit of welcome exposure to autism which has to be a good thing.
I've loved all the series of Pilgrimage, but this year's in North Wales has been the best of the lot. Really liked all the people, fascinating conversations and the discussions involving Christine McGuiness were fascinating. Great bunch of people, incredibly scenery and history, and illuminating, heartfelt and authentic conversations.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Close to my heart as a father of twins with Autism, a little donation on it's way from the boys.
Very much appreciated ... thank you.

Final day of the challenge today - lots of blisters and sore legs and ankles but they will finish, this afternoon, with a final walk around the local area. Massively proud of both of them for a) thinking of doing it and b) carrying through with it despite the massively unpleasant weather that we have experienced. They've been out and about every day and have walked a combined total of c65 miles so far (plus another c9miles later today).

A nice way to end on WORLD AUTISM AWARENESS DAY 2024.

Back
Top Bottom