Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leicester City

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get your point Jade, but did we actually sell anyone we didn't want to while in a transitional phase last summer?

We knew Neves was going and we had planned Nunes departure the summer before.

While players like Neves were due to leave, I don’t think there is now any doubt that the timing of our sales, and the delay in signings, was down to FFP limitations. That ultimately cost us a good coaching team, and we got very lucky that the cheap coach we signed in a hurry turned out to be a gem. It’s also the reason we don’t have another striker now. Some other clubs gambled on the authorities turning a blind eye, and have now been caught out. Screw them.

All that being said, it doesn’t mean I like FFP in any of its forms. It’s blatantly designed to benefit the establishment and in any other business environment would be considered anti competitive and against the law. Ideally it would be scrapped everywhere and a much tougher and interventionist administration used to disqualify owners who risk the survival of their clubs through financial mismanagement.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They broke PL rules last year and if they get promoted their place will be conditional on accepting the punishment.
Yes, but that’s upon promotion, so PL deductions in the PL. My query was based on someone stating that they could have a points deduction this season for PL errors.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leicester City lost again today. If Ipswich win, then Leicester will be out of the top two. How on earth have they thrown away a 15 point lead over the chasing teams?
This is ridiculous. They were far and away the best team in the Championship for 3/4 of the season and it was really a question of how many points above a 100 they would get.

Now it looks really ominous for them. In spite of me saying it was just a blip l think it becomes really hard to turn a losing habit around especially when you see what you have lost.

I have to admit that for me that has to be one of the shocks of the season

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that Ballague has started to pimp out and toss off Maresca online now like he did when Lopetegui was leaving us.
Where is the Lope BTW? Still hanging around Tettenhall? It's quite comical that the press has changed from linking him to a *big* job to linking GON, never mind whether there's any truth in it, the scenario of him seething and skulking in a corner somewhere is mildly satisfying.

:cool:

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. They were far and away the best team in the Championship for 3/4 of the season and it was really a question of how many points above a 100 they would get.

Now it looks really ominous for them. In spite of me saying it was just a blip l think it becomes really hard to turn a losing habit around especially when you see what you have lost.

I have to admit that for me that has to be one of the shocks of the season
i agree. they are still on course for what we got - 99 but i dont think they will do so.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their fans slagging off the new Pep.

Hilarious if they stay down and then get hit with a penalty for their financial cheating.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not hilarious for us if we lose out on the 1 million conor coady promotion bonus.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where is the Lope BTW? Still hanging around Tettenhall? It's quite comical that the press has changed from linking him to a *big* job to linking GON, never mind whether there's any truth in it, the scenario of him seething and skulking in a corner somewhere is mildly satisfying.

:cool:
Whatever your belief may be, from a Christmas time when we were in complete disarray he kept us in the greed league, did he not........?

Reid1877

Reaction score
Sod the million for Coady small change in today’s market. Would much rather Ipswich come up than Leicester as I think there’s more chance of Ipswich filling a relegation birth than Leicester.

As Leicester will spend, Ipswich will be a Norwich or Burnley.

I know we’ve had an exceptional season up to yet. But there’s no guarantees of repeating it next season. So the weaker the teams that get promoted the better.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever your belief may be, from a Christmas time when we were in complete disarray he kept us in the greed league, did he not........?
And he has been £multimillion rewarded for his 267 days in charge as well!

I was bloody glad he came and I was bloody glad he departed. He came when we were in complete disarray and left us in a lot more disarray, did he not…….?

All the more credit to GON and his staff for getting us to where we are now.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I was bloody glad he came and I was bloody glad he departed. He came when we were in complete disarray and left us in a lot more disarray, did he not…….?

I dont buy for a second he left us in disarray. He created a lot of drama ( some of which i think was understandable as he was probably promised something we couldnt fulfill ) and he didnt handle himself very well, but the actual football side of things was looking fine. We were playing good football and looked a good side in pre season. The players had still been well prepared so it wasnt like when he came in to fix up Lage's ineptness. All it needed from the new manager was to tweak things ( which took a little time ) to suit his style of play. I dont think we would have been playing the same way we are now under Julen, so you do have to give credit to GON for the way we are playing, but if JL had stayed i still think we would have been around where we are now. We have never been that poor a side that we should be anywhere near the relegation area.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We don’t know how much money he got when he left…….most likely a lot less than people think.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont buy for a second he left us in disarray. He created a lot of drama ( some of which i think was understandable as he was probably promised something we couldnt fulfill ) and he didnt handle himself very well, but the actual football side of things was looking fine. We were playing good football and looked a good side in pre season. The players had still been well prepared so it wasnt like when he came in to fix up Lage's ineptness. All it needed from the new manager was to tweak things ( which took a little time ) to suit his style of play. I dont think we would have been playing the same way we are now under Julen, so you do have to give credit to GON for the way we are playing, but if JL had stayed i still think we would have been around where we are now. We have never been that poor a side that we should be anywhere near the relegation area.
I remember it differently.
The games were lacklustre and the team’s morale seemed very flat.
In those last desperate months, we could barely buy a goal. We had little or no attack and therefore we had few chances of scoring. God knows where we’d be without the efforts of Dawson and Podence.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I went to Dublin for the Celtic game, we looked like we were in big trouble. Lethargic, no spark and off the pace against a Scottish side. was very worried.

I think both the club and Julen did not exactly cover themselves in glory in the summer and the relationship at the top was influencing the culture at the club.

Gary came along and I like the majority thought it was a desperate downgrade, but his personality and tactical awareness has shone through the same group of players in remarkable contrast.

Prime example is Ait-Nouri (no explanation required).

Lopetegui kept us up and I thank him for that but I have very little faith he would have achieved what O’Neil has this season.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Grateful for his skill and ability to keep us up, however the above is how his final days of football are remembered. Both him and Shi screwed things up at the end, but then Shi has form with previous managers.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went to Dublin for the Celtic game, we looked like we were in big trouble. Lethargic, no spark and off the pace against a Scottish side. was very worried.

I think both the club and Julen did not exactly cover themselves in glory in the summer and the relationship at the top was influencing the culture at the club.

Gary came along and I like the majority thought it was a desperate downgrade, but his personality and tactical awareness has shone through the same group of players in remarkable contrast.

Prime example is Ait-Nouri (no explanation required).

Lopetegui kept us up and I thank him for that but I have very little faith he would have achieved what O’Neil has this season.
I also don't think Loppy would have got as much out of this group of players that GON has. Loppy didn't think this group was good enough to stay up, hence his bleating and wanting to spend. How do we think those thoughts and statements would have affected team morale!!
Furthermore, GON has developed a great team spirit (the family that many have referred to) and is getting more from the TEAM than the sum of its parts. I doubt very strongly that Loppy would have got that. Additionally, a number of players (including those Loppy brought in) have improved under GON's tutelage. Would Loppy have developed the players, thus?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember it differently.
The games were lacklustre and the team’s morale seemed very flat.
In those last desperate months, we could barely buy a goal. We had little or no attack and therefore we had few chances of scoring. God knows where we’d be without the efforts of Dawson and Podence.

It wasnt like that at all. Go back and read the threads about the teams performance in pre season. Lot of optimisim about how we were playing even if there was anger about what was going on off the field. Last season was purely about survival by any means. Morale was rock bottom when he joined and it certainly got way better after he came.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also don't think Loppy would have got as much out of this group of players that GON has. Loppy didn't think this group was good enough to stay up, hence his bleating and wanting to spend. How do we think those thoughts and statements would have affected team morale!!
Furthermore, GON has developed a great team spirit (the family that many have referred to) and is getting more from the TEAM than the sum of its parts. I doubt very strongly that Loppy would have got that. Additionally, a number of players (including those Loppy brought in) have improved under GON's tutelage. Would Loppy have developed the players, thus?

Thats a huge myth. He never said we weren't good enough to stay up.

This season was totally different to taking over a side on its knees, bottom of the league and morale at rock bottom. As i said before, last season was simply about staying in the league. Thats not saying GON hasnt done a fine job, but its a different scenario to last season.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats a huge myth. He never said we weren't good enough to stay up.

This season was totally different to taking over a side on its knees, bottom of the league and morale at rock bottom. As i said before, last season was simply about staying in the league. Thats not saying GON hasnt done a fine job, but its a different scenario to last season.
Daily Mirror, last August;

Now the paper claims Lopetegui fears Wolves are ‘nowhere near strong enough to cope’ with another relegation battle.

I could probably find more if I could be bothered!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Foxes Talk Forum is in meltdown. They now have a thread saying Enzo Maresca should be sacked without delay. And most of the replies agree with it. I’m not sure changing managers with 8 games to go is a wise thing to do.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Foxes Talk Forum is in meltdown. They now have a thread saying Enzo Maresca should be sacked without delay. And most of the replies agree with it. I’m not sure changing managers with 8 games to go is a wise thing to do.
Didn’t they do the same thing last year and ended up with Dean Smith.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's hard to be reasonable when it's your own club, so I understand their anger.

But they were absolutely cheated at Leeds, and you could argue that was the most important game of the season. If they won there, the confidence that brings, the way they played etc. it's hard to see how they would've been caught.

As an aside, that's why we need VAR, that could be the defining moment of Leicester's season, and they were done by inept officials who bottled it (IMO) at a big crowd.

Then, yesterday, arguably their best ever player has decided to miss some absolute sitters. The first one would've been a good goal, but you expect Vardy to score. The next two he simply can't miss, especially the third. Can't really do much about that. The Championship is tough, if you're missing chances like that, always a chance it will come back to bite you.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's hard to be reasonable when it's your own club, so I understand their anger.

But they were absolutely cheated at Leeds, and you could argue that was the most important game of the season. If they won there, the confidence that brings, the way they played etc. it's hard to see how they would've been caught.

As an aside, that's why we need VAR, that could be the defining moment of Leicester's season, and they were done by inept officials who bottled it (IMO) at a big crowd.

Then, yesterday, arguably their best ever players has decided to miss some absolute sitters. The first one would've been a good goal, but you expect Vardy to score. The next two he simply can't miss, especially the third. Can't really do much about that. The Championship is tough, if you're missing chances like that, always a chance it will come back to bite you.
Think about our bottle season. When you get into that situation everything - officiating decisions, poor finishing, poor defending - seems to go against you and heads go down. I really wouldn't be surprised if they not only miss automatic promotion but fail in the playoffs too.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beale is available...

Quite a few Leicester fans are saying get Cooper in. Yes, they were very poor yesterday, but still had chances. Though Bristol City had a blatant penalty not given. Leicester have a game in hand, but if they don’t beat Norwich City on Monday, then I think it could well be the play offs for them, and given the position they were in, that is quite unbelievable.

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Guess it shows we aren’t the only club with an embarrassingly reactive fanbase.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Quite a few Leicester fans are saying get Cooper in. Yes, they were very poor yesterday, but still had chances. Though Bristol City had a blatant penalty not given. Leicester have a game in hand, but if they don’t beat Norwich City on Monday, then I think it could well be the play offs for them, and given the position they were in, that is quite unbelievable.
From the bits I watched Captain Chav (Vardy) missed two absolute sitters.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think they're done myself; heads gone, to borrow a phrase.

If they do somehow still manage to grind out promotion after all this, that would be one hell of an achievement on their part in my book.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leicesters problem has been since they won't the league they spent about £200 Million on strikers, yet still have 35 year old Jamie Vardy leading the line.

We aren't the only club who can recruit poorly.

Vardy is 37, and it is rumoured he will be going to the Saudi league in the summer. Ineahacho was seen as the replacement for Vardy, but even in the championship he as not been a regular starter.

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Having head the pleasure of being chased around Leicester for an hour in 1989, and the fact I was only 15 and there was 4 of us and about 15 of them, I hate them. Long may they falter

My old fella has said the same about them at a similar age.

Strange bunch those east midlanders.

Back
Top Bottom