Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sven-Goran Eriksson

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we can all universally agree if we could just get rid of this terrible thing the better..
Currently going through it with my Mother In Law, treatment has failed, and its now what next.... the devastation it leaves is unbound sad for all those concerned...
Enjoy your time Sven as much as possible.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Awful illness. He seems to be dealing with it as well as can be hoped though, with his good humour and remarkable calmness.

While his time with England felt like an underperformance overall, I loved the initial optimism in the early days, as it felt like we finally had a modern manager again (after El Tel). And unlike a lot of the other England bosses, he actually seemed to enjoy the job, and still speaks of it very fondly, which I think means a lot.

That 5-1 game is obviously one of the England highlights of my lifetime.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad. Gave us some good times with England. We qualified for everything with ease and were almost guaranteed QF in every tournament. If not for some bad luck with injuries and shootouts he may well have won us a trophy

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Very sad news, best wishes to Sven x

Clipboard

Reaction score
Sad news. Always liked him tbh seems a lovely bloke. Wish him well.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always had a touch of class about him. Shame the ‘golden generation’ were too busy gambling and in fighting about their clubs, we should have won something.

Beckham, Owen, Shearer, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, A Cole etc.

Joke really.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor bloke. My Dad had pancreatic cancer and so did a friend. a year is very optimistic indeed

NewOrder306

Groupie
Reaction score
Awful illness. He seems to be dealing with it as well as can be hoped though, with his good humour and remarkable calmness.

While his time with England felt like an underperformance overall, I loved the initial optimism in the early days, as it felt like we finally had a modern manager again (after El Tel). And unlike a lot of the other England bosses, he actually seemed to enjoy the job, and still speaks of it very fondly, which I think means a lot.

That 5-1 game is obviously one of the England highlights of my lifetime.
Went to the 1-5 game, we were all in shock, it was very quiet after 1-3 and 1-4, all looking at each other and thinking "really" :oops::oops:
At 1-5 it was party time, Germans were flooding out, equally shocked, one guy walking down the steps beneath me with a sweater neatly tied over his should in case of the cooler evening saw me laughing in glee, cheerily waving him Gute Nacht and he retuned, marched up a few steps to face me out hysterically shouted in good English "this is clearly not funny" turned around and scuttled off, bless....:joycat:

Sven was a good bloke, did OK, could have done better....that's England for you...

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a tragedy and sadly one that has no doubt touched every single one of us on here.

Always liked Sven, it didn’t work out with England but we needed that move to a more modern manager with new ideas, always felt like he was badly let down by the players

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad news.

It must be a weird feeling. We all live with the knowledge that our clock is ticking and carry on with our lives, but then to find out there's a good chance that clock will stop sooner rather than later must be scary.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a tragedy and sadly one that has no doubt touched every single one of us on here.

Always liked Sven, it didn’t work out with England but we needed that move to a more modern manager with new ideas, always felt like he was badly let down by the players
Definitely. The players have openly admitted it since that their clubs were more important and they never tried to come together as a team for England. He was unlucky as well though. I'm convinced we were nailed on to win Euro 2004 if Rooney hadn't got injured. Gerrard missed the whole of the 2002 World Cup and Beckham was only half fit, we were the second best team in that tournament after Brazil.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Pancreatic cancer is awful. Mercifully, it doesn't tend to drag on I suppose...

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Pancreatic cancer is awful. Mercifully, it doesn't tend to drag on I suppose...
Yep my dad died of it a horrible and one of the worst cancer’s. Like others have said, average life expectancy is more like 4-6 months. My mum had it but caught it, very, very early and by luck, so still with us.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

casbul

Reaction score
Lost my granddad to terminal cancer on boxing day. Was told three months minimum, we only got about a month and a half. But I'm grateful I got a warning so I could say goodbye. Awful thing to go through, for all involved.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If that's how she feels, I'd much rather she say it while he's still around.

Very easy to join in with platitudes even if you don't mean them.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still holds him in pretty high regard here in Sweden.
He came from very humble beginnings here in Sweden and worked his way up via Degerfors to IFK Göteborg who won the UEFA Cup in 1982,,beating Kaiserslautern in the semis with legend swede goalie Ronnie Hellström..I´ll nver forget this.
Sven Göran had great success in Italy..amongst other credentials guiding Lazio of all teams to the national title.
I apprechiate that the average England fan will have his/hers personal view of Sven Göran Eriksson.
Still..at the end of the day that is obviously near..Germany 1 England 5 will always be with you.

Personally,I like the man Sven Göran Eriksson.Pulled Ulrika Jonsson when she was pullable..so to speak..a man that enjoyed life and really put some cool footballing work in as well.A humble and decent man all in all.

I wish you the best Sven Göran..eventhough I´m ÖSTER(and Wolves of course)...and given the unfortunate circumstances.

Swedish football fans will not forget you in a heartbeat.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I met Sven at Molineux and had a chat with him. He was very approachable, friendly and likeable.
He´s a really nice fella..always has been and always will be.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh,and **** cancer.
This horrible thing needs exctintion.
Yes my Russian friend think they are now developing a cure for some cancers. Something about alkaline also

Nice one today Sven god bless

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Really sad news for him and his family. Always thought he seemed like a nice bloke, not too clued up on his career but that isn't relevant here. Very classy from Liverpool to do that for him.

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Went today. (On my 3rd shower, but my son loves Liverpool.)

Some observations.

Spot on with the Sven comments. Player going over to him to celebrate was a lovely touch. Would have been nice if fans had song for him, but a touch of class from Liverpool.

Torres finishing was a comedy. Gerrard is enjoy some lovely food in retirement.

Although a thoroughly enjoyable 90 minutes of football to watch.

The Kop as a stand. Its like a cave. The sound just reverberates round it. That and probably the whole stadium made we realise how much noise we create, but lose at Molineux

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Went today. (On my 3rd shower, but my son loves Liverpool.)

Some observations.

Spot on with the Sven comments. Player going over to him to celebrate was a lovely touch. Would have been nice if fans had song for him, but a touch of class from Liverpool.

Torres finishing was a comedy. Gerrard is enjoy some lovely food in retirement.

Although a thoroughly enjoyable 90 minutes of football to watch.

The Kop as a stand. Its like a cave. The sound just reverberates round it. That and probably the whole stadium made we realise how much noise we create, but lose at Molineux
Fair play for taking him, I won't be taking my future kids anywhere but Wolves!

Whole event seems like it was great though, great to see former players even if they are (obviously) a shadow of themselves in their playing days. The whole Sven thing made it interesting for me, I'm not usually into legend matches.

Back
Top Bottom