Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Will our season fizzle out?

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ten matches left, still a chance of Europe. But, to be honest, I'd be tempted to use this opportunity to get minutes for the half dozen young players we'll be seeing more of next season - not all at the same time, obviously, but a couple of 30-45 minute appearances per match. The experience could be invaluable.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I think it’s more to do with our remaining fixtures. Arsenal, City and Liverpool in 3 of our last 4 fixtures means we have to be virtually perfect in all of the games that we are expected to win (or on paper are 50/50). Don’t have the depth in forward positions to do that.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, I’d say we are pretty much season done now tbh given the injury update. The smoke and mirrors in pre match conference from GON was more for his own benefit I think. Still, to have so many points on the board at this point is an unbelievable achievement. Another positive is I’m not sure who takes a big money gamble on Neto with his injury history.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s more to do with our remaining fixtures. Arsenal, City and Liverpool in 3 of our last 4 fixtures means we have to be virtually perfect in all of the games that we are expected to win (or on paper are 50/50). Don’t have the depth in forward positions to do that.
Yes, I agree. Not just the games you mentioned, but Villa and West Ham will also be difficult with our paucity in attack. Not meaning to sound hyperbolic, but that capitulation today feels a bit like a season-ender to me.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will if we stick with those tactics

Let’s pass it around the back 5 all day until we concede then start playing football. Joke

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Roll on the summer, we're done like last Sunday's dinner.

Good thing we've already got 40 points.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, I’d say we are pretty much season done now tbh given the injury update. The smoke and mirrors in pre match conference from GON was more for his own benefit I think. Still, to have so many points on the board at this point is an unbelievable achievement. Another positive is I’m not sure who takes a big money gamble on Neto with his injury history.
**** off you big wetter. GON is a pro and so are the squad. Thankfully, they won’t give up and roll over for their bellies to tickled like you.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hopefully lighting strikes twice, last time we lost go Watford we got Europe.

Either way I've enjoyed this season more than any other since Nuno was here and there is reasons to he optimistic going forward.

But yeah today feels ****.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
If Cunha can play the rest of the season we'll have a threat again. We have to get RAN to also attack even if he has the Neto position.

People need to keep some perspective though, in August I'd have bitten your hand off for a boring mid-table finish.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Cunha can play the rest of the season we'll have a threat again. We have to get RAN to also attack even if he has the Neto position.

People need to keep some perspective though, in August I'd have bitten your hand off for a boring mid-table finish.
It could be worse, so shut up. Is that really the attitude?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Compared to where many of us thought we’d be when Gary was brought in, the season will hardly be a sizzle.

We have a good chance to end up 12th. or better…….not too shabby at all, all things considered.
It would be better than with the mighty JL.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
It could be worse, so shut up. Is that really the attitude?
No, rant away, it's basically the only point in being on here on a day like today. We can all vent a bit and feel just as disappointed, but a bit less angry.

Now I'm older I find it a bit easier to have a bit of perspective though, which is ironic really as while the kids might see us win something one day, many on here are wondering if they'll ever see it again.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, it's season over given our injury list. Give a few kids a game, don't flog anybody to the point of getting seriously injured for the start of next season, try and pinch a couple of wins and edge towards 50 points.

If we can somehow mess up Villa's and Liverpool's seasons then that would be a bonus. On a general level I'll be voyeuristically excited to see either Arteta or Klopp in tears and West Brom failing to get promoted - preferably in the playoff final.

I feel like I can relax and look forward to the closed season as we watch our squad develop further into the image of Gary O'Neil. He's done an immense job and I'm sure he'll be backed with the bulk of whatever money comes in from sales.

I'm already confident that next season will be a huge success.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
No, rant away, it's basically the only point in being on here on a day like today. We can all vent a bit and feel just as disappointed, but a bit less angry.

Now I'm older I find it a bit easier to have a bit of perspective though, which is ironic really as while the kids might see us win something one day, many on here are wondering if they'll ever see it again.
Reading over this makes the loss easier for me personally. I've got decades to see us win something, I probably will. I am genuinely very sad for the supporters who feel like time isn't on their side.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aye, it’s pretty much done now. Still some interesting games where we can possibly influence the title run in.

If it does fizzle out, then given where we were the day prior to the season kicking off you’d have to say that it’s been a success.

Hobbs, Shi & Gary should have already started planning for the close season. If we’re still scrambling around come deadline day we’ll be screwed.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Grab the beach towels and see ya in August.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's not 'rant away' though.

There's an excuse for everything. You say 'we'd have snapped your hand off for this position', which is bang on.

If we went down, people say I've seen Wolves in League Two.

If we went down again, people say 'it's only football'.

So it's a never-ending cycle.

As an 'experienced' fan, you/we/others know these opportunities don't just come around. And we have thrown this one away because Coventry City, a side that may not make the Championship play-offs, were better than us.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's the correct attitude. I've generally given up hope of seeing Wolves win something, each defeat just chipped away to the point where I really am in a weird state of totally lacking care, it just means now I can switch off football related talk till August.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** off you big wetter. GON is a pro and so are the squad. Thankfully, they won’t give up and roll over for their bellies to tickled like you.
I think swearing at someone for having an opinion is uncalled for and undermines your post. So thanks for the comment but I’ll take it with a pinch salt and continue to believe we’ve had a great season that is now winding down. Enjoy your weekend

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There's an excuse for everything. You say 'we'd have snapped your hand off for this position', which is bang on.

As an 'experienced' fan, you/we/others know these opportunities don't just come around. And we have thrown this one away because Coventry City, a side that may not make the Championship play-offs, were better than us.
I would add "on the day" to your very last sentence. There is a reason that we are 20 places above Coventry in the league hierarchy.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's more that there are more important things than pinning your hopes on a cup win, you'll end up fully disappointed constantly.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would add "on the day" to your very last sentence. There is a reason that we are 20 places above Coventry in the league hierarchy.
Well yes, but they are better than that team, that's the problem.

This isn't a case of if we played this game 10 times over that we would win 9. They would win more often than not because we had no forwards.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
After the events in early August my expectation for this season was one of dread. As it happened it’s turned out much better but let’s forget Europe talk. With such a small squad a Euro adventure would do more harm than good. Yes I think it will fizzle out sadly but I hope some sense prevails in the summer and additions are brought in to prevent a repeat of this injury ravaged season.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

Yes, as I said somewhere, we certainly didn't look like we really wanted it until we (inevitably) went behind.

However I've read that Robins owned O'Neil, only Sa and RAN were less than embarrassing and we should sack Shi tonight. I'd say that sort of stuff is just a rant.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, as I said somewhere, we certainly didn't look like we really wanted it until we (inevitably) went behind.

However I've read that Robins owned O'Neil, only Sa and RAN were less than embarrassing and we should sack Shi tonight. I'd say that sort of stuff is just a rant.
You would because it's the heat of the moment.

The Shi stuff warrants a discussion, IMO, because he deliberately left the squad in this state. Just because it's brought up at our lowest point doesn't dismiss the validity of the point. As I repeatedly said, many will want owners that try, not ever guaranteeing success.

Robins didn't own O'Neil, agreed. He simply had the better all round team at his disposal.

Similarly, the players lost to a better all round team. There was no lack of effort. Playing without effective forwards is really difficult!!

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The Shi stuff warrants a discussion, IMO, because he deliberately left the squad in this state. Just because it's brought up at our lowest point doesn't dismiss the validity of the point. As I repeatedly said, many will want owners that try, not ever guaranteeing success.

Robins didn't own O'Neil, agreed. He simply had the better all round team at his disposal.

Similarly, the players lost to a better all round team. There was no lack of effort. Playing without effective forwards is really difficult!!
Lost to the better team on paper? That's a stretch. Injuries or not, we had enough quality out there to be better.

Shi has made some huge errors and deserves plenty of stick, but GON should've done better with what he had today. We got the most favourable draw Vs a Champ side who then proceeded to batter us for the large majority of the game.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

Totally agree, although the back 2/3 of our team should have been OK. that's why I said rant away, people will write angry rubbish and feel a tiny bit better for it. I've just read that one of the good things about today is that Hobbs will see we need to get rid of Semedo - I mean I hope that's a poster who had a few beers after the game!

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rest of season isn´t top interesting.
We ain´t going nowhere..we won´t be relegated and we won´t qualify for Europe.
Will be of lesser interest to see if we can break 50 points for the season.
That´s about it..and even if we manage to beat Man City again for example..it will mean a whole lot less than us losing in the FA quarterfinal today..at home..against Championship team Coventry.

Summer allready feels alot more interesting to be frank..so yes,rest of this season doesn´t feel super exciting.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lost to the better team on paper? That's a stretch. Injuries or not, we had enough quality out there to be better.

Shi has made some huge errors and deserves plenty of stick, but GON should've done better with what he had today. We got the most favourable draw Vs a Champ side who then proceeded to batter us for the large majority of the game.
I suppose if you go one for one across the pitch we would come out on top.

But, you simply can't play without forwards, it ruins the dynamics of everything.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, people just need to calm down and keep the faith.
Whilst you are right, it is also an acceptable position to understand the limitations of the small, tired squad between now and the end of the season, which has largely been successful given the starting point. Anything else from here on in is an absolute bonus.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Re your very last part…..
Exactly. 70 next month and have learned to compartmentalize my Wolves emotions and take a lot of solace from watching us play top half footy in the PL for 6 years now.

Back
Top Bottom