Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Complete over-reaction on here

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been out for a quiet walk on my own to get over that. Come back and scanned a few threads on here. Not surprised the world has fallen in and much vitriol on here aimed at several players. We knew it would be tough but when you saw we had no genuine striker in our line up you realised what a mountain it would be. Fraser does his best but is not anywhere near ready and Sarabia seemed to be playing a sort of fluid role all over the mf. That 1st half especially we had nowhere to go. The ball kept coming back and Sa kept us in the game. The goals we conceded were terrible but we were missing Dawson who is the calm presence back there. I've just checked and bar the top 6 and Everton we have the best defence in the Prem. So with no attack to speak of, of all games it was unfortunate but this was the match where it all fell apart but over the season so far the defence has done ok. I doubt many mid-table Prem teams with their best 4 attackers missing could have done much more (whether we should have more/better attacking options is another debate for another day). So on reflection another Watford day where the Wolves curse struck again. With a full strength side we would have won comfortably today but Coventry are no bad side and with no forward punch the final result was not inevitable but likely. We concentrate on the league with hopefully some players back in 2 weeks.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Overreaction? We've just been battered at home to lower league opposition in the biggest game of our season to date? I'm talking performance, not result which quite frankly flattered us.

Just excuses galore. The squad available was still good enough to win that. The performance was disgraceful, we didn't even compete for long periods. 24 shots/12 on target for Cov. Injuries or not, that was appalling.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Overreaction? We've just been battered at home to lower league opposition in the biggest game of our season to date? I'm talking performance, not result which quite frankly flattered us.

Just excuses galore. The squad available was still good enough to win that. The performance was disgraceful, we didn't even compete for long periods. 24 shots/12 on target for Cov. Injuries or not, that was appalling.
Zzzzzzzz

stevev53

Reaction score

Get over it

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
Players thought it would be an easy win and didn’t turn up until the last few minutes when they took the lead and then went on holiday again.
Coventry wanted it more and they rightly deserved the win.
I’m gutted but after the shift after shift this squad has delivered for us this year I can forgive them.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been out for a quiet walk on my own to get over that. Come back and scanned a few threads on here. Not surprised the world has fallen in and much vitriol on here aimed at several players. We knew it would be tough but when you saw we had no genuine striker in our line up you realised what a mountain it would be. Fraser does his best but is not anywhere near ready and Sarabia seemed to be playing a sort of fluid role all over the mf. That 1st half especially we had nowhere to go. The ball kept coming back and Sa kept us in the game. The goals we conceded were terrible but we were missing Dawson who is the calm presence back there. I've just checked and bar the top 6 and Everton we have the best defence in the Prem. So with no attack to speak of, of all games it was unfortunate but this was the match where it all fell apart but over the season so far the defence has done ok. I doubt many mid-table Prem teams with their best 4 attackers missing could have done much more (whether we should have more/better attacking options is another debate for another day). So on reflection another Watford day where the Wolves curse struck again. With a full strength side we would have won comfortably today but Coventry are no bad side and with no forward punch the final result was not inevitable but likely. We concentrate on the league with hopefully some players back in 2 weeks.
Lol…NNW giving lectures on over-reacting. Next, he’ll be telling us all Jeff is fantastic. Mad!

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Players thought it would be an easy win and didn’t turn up until the last few minutes when they took the lead and then went on holiday again.
Coventry wanted it more and they rightly deserved the win.
I’m gutted but after the shift after shift this squad has delivered for us this year I can forgive them.
I think and I hope we'll move past this quite quickly. The forum is, understandably, a bit chaotic right now. People will be bored until the break is over and there's time for this to boil over.

I still think we can have a good league finish.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. However, the sane team managed to see off Fulham last week, and being 2-1 up with just a couple of minutes left to play, losing is just absolutely criminal. The defence has looked assured with Dawson in the side, but my goodness those 2 at CB today were as bad as I’ve seen for some time: hesitant, lacked physicality, awkward, flat footed, clumsy, easily bullied, out of shape and position fairly frequently. Perhaps a rare off day? I’m not so sure.

I don’t have any criticism for the young lads who played/came on today. I do have criticism for the leaders who should be guiding them to what seemed the unlikeliest victory when we found ourselves in the lead with on 97 minutes on the clock. Kick the ball, tactical fouls, take them out near half way, don’t give the ball away carelessly… was so poor on many levels. I suppose the best learning happens when you get things wrong, so that may be a positive thing for those learning their craft.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were were five minutes away from a trip to Wembley, at home against a side 19 places below us in the Football pyramid, and completely collapsed. What did you think the reaction was going to be? If you can't respect that people are understandably hurting and angry right now, I'd recommend you log off for a week, because this one is going to linger. I can't think of a bigger bottle job from Wolves off the top of my head, and yes that includes Watford.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last week GON was going to be the next England manager! The over reaction either way is laughable.

Today was particularly hurtful, but it’s all on the board, plenty of us said January we needed a striker even if on loan. It’s not because we are football geniuses it’s because we have eyes!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Our 4 strikers were all missing. We had no genuine replacements to play. Strikers keep the ball up the other end and that explains why the ball came back so quickly and they had so many shots. I agree it wasn't a great performance but we lost because of the players we had missing. Today's defence and mf with Cunha, Hwang and Neto up top would have won comfortably.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
We were were five minutes away from a trip to Wembley, at home against a side 19 places below us in the Football pyramid, and completely fell apart. What did you think the reaction was going to be? People understandably are hurting and angry right now.
Agreed. Injuries or not, people were always going to be upset if we didn't win. The chance was there to have a serious go at winning a cup.

The wider context, what you stated, makes it seem much worse. People who just glance at the scoreline will think, rightfully so, that we were ****ing **** today.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our 4 strikers were all missing. We had no genuine replacements to play. Strikers keep the ball up the other end and that explains why the ball came back so quickly and they had so many shots. I agree it wasn't a great performance but we lost because of the players we had missing. Today's defence and mf with Cunha, Hwang and Neto up top would have won comfortably.
How does that excuse conceding 3 goals after our GK making 2 or 3 worldie saves? Doesn't add up.

Our defence and midfield were mostly fully fit but absolutely appalling.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were were five minutes away from a trip to Wembley, at home against a side 19 places below us in the Football pyramid, and completely collapsed. What did you think the reaction was going to be? If you can't respect that people are understandably hurting and angry right now, I'd recommend you log off for a week, because this one is going to linger. I can't think of a bigger bottle job from Wolves off the top of my head, and yes that includes Watford.
The Spurs of the Midlands. Are we cursed or what?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one is hurting more than me - I've supported Wolves for 50+ years so I've suffered with this team more than most on here! I just think today some perspective is needed. V Watford we had a full team out, so considering our absentees today I'm trying to give the rest some slack, however badly some played.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Side note- do fans really have any right to tell other fans if they are overreacting about their club? People have their emotions wrapped up in this. If you think someone is making a meal of our situation, fine. Why do there have to be posts that basically say 'you're too mad about this, look at how much better I'm handling it'.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion on how we do, but no opinion is 'better' or 'more valid'.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think we play like this even when we have those players fit - they don't hold on to the ball for long, it is all about fast runs and beating players, not incisive passing and slide-rule crosses in to strikers. e.g. Man City are the best at that, but plenty other clubs try and play that way. We don't. Our passing/crossing in final 3rd is generally poor.

Also, I think a lot of fans don't see how no keeping the ball up top , ends up putting pressure on defence. Nothing new today, we've done it lots of times in recent seasons. When the ball keeps coming back to you, when defenders are constantly having to win one-on-ones, cut out crosses and so on, eventually they make one mistake, we concede a goal and the defence gets all the blame again.

We've been conceding central midfield a lot as well, as we did for much of today. Players going out wide or too far forward, so when we do lose the ball inside opponents half, they have acres of space in front to attack (eg Newcastle as well as today). Sometimes we get lucky and opponents don't take their gifts. Though our goals against is decent, it's interesting that our expected goals against is 5th worst in the league, which suggests perhaps a combination of luck, last ditch defending, maybe even Sa shot stopping.

With a full 11, yes, we'd probably have won. But it still would have been a nervy win, goal scored from a breakaway, opponent missing a few sitters. It's how we play.

Honestly, I think we are more likely to go on some awful run of getting hardly any points till end of season, as we are to burst into the top 7!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How does that excuse conceding 3 goals after our GK making 2 or 3 worldie saves? Doesn't add up.

Our defence and midfield were mostly fully fit but absolutely appalling.
I think people are ignoring the fact we had NO forwards today (apologies to young Fraser). Imagine if today, rather than forwards, we were missing Dawson, Kilman, Semedo and Toti and had no genuine replacements bar kids and players playing out of position? ALL I'm saying is imo the defeat is down to the missing forwards which slewed the game in the favour of Coventry.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think people are ignoring the fact we had NO forwards today (apologies to young Fraser). Imagine if today, rather than forwards, we were missing Dawson, Kilman, Semedo and Toti and had no genuine replacements bar kids and players playing out of position? ALL I'm saying is imo the defeat is down to the missing forwards which slewed the game in the favour of Coventry.
I’m sure we’d have found a way to balls the game up with a fully fit 11

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tactics were dreadful

No desire to go and win a game of football against a weaker side

Added to that, the players were horrendous. I know Lemina is out of position but he couldn’t pass the ball 5 yards . Embarrassing

Go 2-1 up and we can’t put together 2 passes

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Side note- do fans really have any right to tell other fans if they are overreacting about their club? People have their emotions wrapped up in this. If you think someone is making a meal of our situation, fine. Why do there have to be posts that basically say 'you're too mad about this, look at how much better I'm handling it'.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion on how we do, but no opinion is 'better' or 'more valid'.
I'm just in, so I haven't read anything but this thread. The thing is there is no such thing as over-reacting, feeling absolutely gutted is perfectly natural and how it should be. What there might be is people blaming players, the manager, the board irrationally.

Nobody can deny that we deserved to lose based on the fact that we played within ourselves until they scored and failed to see out (or even draw) a game we should have controlled better. Another soft 100th minute goal from a throw in. We're patching things together though and likely to be doing that for the rest of the season now.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I may have missed it but is there much vitriol aimed at players on here? Nobody is writing Fraser off in the future, nobody is calling for anybody to be sold (apart from a weird anti RAN comment in the verdict thread). People are angry and frustrated at how today went and rightly so, if there’s ever a game where it’s justified then it’s probably today rather than some REAL ott reactions in other losses.

We didn’t have any forwards, granted, but we shouldn’t have set up in such a way that weakened other areas of the pitch where we would have had an advantage.

Luckily I’m off out tonight so I’ll get some dogs abuse but will forget about it after a few pints and all will be ok in the morning (apart from a banging head).

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
I'm just in, so I haven't read anything but this thread. The thing is there is no such thing as over-reacting, feeling absolutely gutted is perfectly natural and how it should be. What there might be is people blaming players, the manager, the board irrationally.

Nobody can deny that we deserved to lose based on the fact that we played within ourselves until they scored and failed to see out (or even draw) a game we should have controlled better. Another soft 100th minute goal from a throw in. We're patching things together though and likely to be doing that for the rest of the season now.
I like this reply. Really level headed and well written. Knee jerk comments will always happen in football, especially on a forum where you can say exactly what you're thinking at any given moment in under 30 seconds.

The same players who are getting it today will get their dues if they perform well in the next one. It's important to remember that, at least I hope, no negative comments are posted with genuine malice, and none of them will stick when we get back on track.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Performance was a shambles. How the **** Kilman remains captain is beyond me!

Only good that can come from today IMHO is GON/Hobbs making the (correct) assessment that the likes of Kilman, Docherty and Semedo need moving-on and RAN adding another zero to his sale price.

No over-reaction, that was an arrogant and pathetic display from everyone bar Doyle, RAN and Sa.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bang on.

It's called saving face.

We all feared/knew this day would come.

Yet, and I genuinely don't know why, some fans get embarrassed at being wrong and refuse to change their opinion.

This was all because of January, and they've thrown away an opportunity that may not come around for another 20, 30 years.

Instead of acknowledging we deservedly lost to a better team, they have to deflect, deflect, deflect.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Overreactions are just part of football.

At the start of the season I thought it was an overreaction to say Wolves would be in a relegation battle. I never thought we would be. On the other hand on on the recent Wolves fan podcasts (can't remember which one) they were saying Joao Gomes is as good if not better than Kante, one the best midfielders to ever play in the Premier League. A complete overreaction to some good performances.

Football fans aren't meant to be reasonable. We get excited watching men kick a bag of air into the net, and pay a lot of money for the privilege. I just try to accept the overreaction for good or bad.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve come to the realisation that I need more hobbies. Relying on Wolves to bring me joy isn’t healthy
It's great. Wolves are a sideshow, sure be nice if they do well, but honestly, couldn't give a hoot. Off to watch the rugby now!

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bang on.

It's called saving face.

We all feared/knew this day would come.

Yet, and I genuinely don't know why, some fans get embarrassed at being wrong and refuse to change their opinion.

This was all because of January, and they've thrown away an opportunity that may not come around for another 20, 30 years.

Instead of acknowledging we deservedly lost to a better team, they have to deflect, deflect, deflect.
It’s similar to when we were competing with Arsenal for fourth, and Adama had just started scoring again (v Southampton iirc), and so we primed ourselves for kicking on by letting said Adama go out on loan to Barca with no obligation.

If we had added a Lemina or Joao instead of selling Jota that season I am of the view that we could have been top 5 challengers.

It’s weird, ploughing money in to save us but not putting in a fraction more to help us reach the top.

Back
Top Bottom