Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Coventry Verdict

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We didn’t deserve it at all
Sa was motm
Our tactics and defending were comical. Lage-esque in fact

But you can’t lose to a lower league side at home when leading with 97 mins on the clock because you Fannie’s around and gave the ball away

Absolutely wasted a fantastic opportunity and I hope the players feel as gutted as the fans

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Disgraceful performance on the pitch but one caused by our awful January window off it which completely undoes all the great work we’ve done so far this season (and the Albion result). We will never get a better shot of reaching Wembley.

Nothing stuck up top and no real running threat in behind meant the ball just kept coming back. All our own doing though. So many said at the time we were short given Hwang and Neto’s injuries and injury history. We took a risk and it has backfired spectacularly.

Sa 8
Semedo 7
Kilman 4
Bueno 5
Toti 5
RAN 8
Doyle 7
Gomes 5
Lemina 4
Fraser 4
Sarabia 5

Chiwome 6
Doherty 4
H Bueno 7

Fair play to Cov. Thought they were excellent and had a real go. Having two physical first-team ready forwards available really made a difference. We should try it.

Worst I’ve felt after a game since the Watford semi. Like that result, so much of this was self-inflicted.

Hopefully we can regroup with the international break and this season can end in a similar way to how that one did.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the end it wasn´t the absence of Neto and Cunha we lost.
It was the absence of one Mr Craig Dawson that proved to be the deciding factor.
One of the worst losses I´ve experienced as a Wolves fan,and it will take quite a while to get over this.
Season practically over now..there is no way we should or will finish top seven in the league.
Much of the earlier good work undone by this our unacceptable performance.

Only consoling thing is that we deserved absolutely nothing today.
The better team won in the end,and that team was Coventry today.

THE disappointment of the season this.We are way way to bad when we perform at out lowest levels.
This was worse than Huddersfield.
Really,really disappointed.Over and out.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mark Robins and Coventry City can take a massive bow, for what was a truly deserved and fully warranted win.

For us, a shocking defensive performance, being toothless going forward until Rayan showed a bit of magic and having one fit forward killed us.

The Sky Blues wanted it more from the off.

I am off for a long lie down in a darkened room…

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The better team won. Hope the cov fans enjoy it!
An 18 year old subbed for another 18 year old says it all.
They’re making an absolute din right now and who can blame ‘em

We were rooooobish & then some but gutting to throw it away like that

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done Coventry. A fully deserved win. They looked like the Premier League team out of the two. A threat when ever they got forward and put in some terrific crosses. We struggled to handle them.

A bit weird to experience what felt like a late winner and a late defeat in the same match.

Defensively poor and not much of a threat up front. Our experienced players didn't step up. The bench was weak but the first eleven should have done better. Lemina playing so wide on the left didn't work for me. I guess it gave Ait-Nouri space in the middle but it just felt a bit strange.

The Man of the Match was Sa by distance. Without him it could have been six or seven for Coventry.

Oh well, there's always next year.

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
Man Utd vibes at the end there, we had an excuse for the lack of fire power, but not the awful defense..

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done Coventry. A fully deserved win. They looked like the Premier League team out of the two. A threat when ever they got forward and put in some terrific crosses. We struggled to handle them.

A bit weird to experience what felt like a late winner and a late defeat in the same match.

Defensively poor and not much of a threat up front. Our experienced players didn't step up. The bench was weak but the first eleven should have do better. Lemina playing so wide on the left didn't work for me. I guess it gave Ait-Nouri space in the middle but it just felt a bit strange.

The Man of the Match was Sa by distance. Without him it could have been six or seven for Coventry.

Oh well, there's always next year.
We had 4 full backs on at the end just about sums it up really

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely shameful they can't see a game out against a championship side.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disgraceful performance on the pitch but one caused by our awful January window off it which completely undoes all the great work we’ve done so far this season (and the Albion result). We will never get a better shot of reaching Wembley.

Nothing stuck up top and no real running threat in behind meant the ball just kept coming back. All our own doing though. So many said at the time we were short given Hwang and Neto’s injuries and injury history. We took a risk and it has backfired spectacularly.

Sa 8
Semedo 7
Kilman 4
Bueno 5
Toti 5
RAN 8
Doyle 7
Gomes 5
Lemina 4
Fraser 4
Sarabia 5

Chiwome 6
Doherty 4
H Bueno 7

Fair play to Cov. Thought they were excellent and had a real go. Having two physical first-team ready forwards available really made a difference. We should try it.

Worst I’ve felt after a game since the Watford semi. Like that result, so much of this was self-inflicted.

Hopefully we can regroup with the international break and this season can end in a similar way to how that one did.
Sorry mate but Lemina is a 2, and I feel I’m being generous. Individually, he caused us more problems than Bidwell for Covee. Did he even do anything successfully today? He’s been great for us but that performance was unforgivable.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Say it every time he comes on and even more so today Doherty should be no where this side he just jogs about completely unfit looking like he has played the 90 mins rather than coming off the bench and just loses the ball lazy lazy LAZY! Called it in the summer was a big mistake bringing him back and now we are stuck with him for another two more seasons ffs!

Coventry deserved that showed much more than us... Having two kids playing up top for us who don't look anywhere near ready for a Premier League side is a joke and while Hobbs has done a good job here not getting O'Neil a centre forward has cost us, how some couldn't see this happening in January on here and tried to defend it was crazy!

Also Noha Lemina is obviously miles off getting anywhere near the team if he doesn't come on in that game...

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1) we didn’t show up
2) we would have been luckiest semi finalists ever but id have taken it.
3) board want ****ing lynching to leave us so threadbare for what is effectively 4 injuries as not counting Dawson we have adequate back up in Santi
5) chiwomne is better than Fraser
6) off to get ****ed

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
We looked ragged and they outplayed us for most of the game. To throw it away through daft overplaying at the end is a sickener though.

To go out to a championship team puts a sour note on a decent cup run, all things considered. But Coventry deserved it and I don't want to cheapen that by acting entitled

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Injuries and weird formation are partly to blame. But worse than those, we didn't really look like we wanted it from the start. Cov looked sharper, more keen to win everything while we were slack from beginning to end.

Why that would be, maybe they know that winning today would only delay the inevitable and at least it avoids a humiliating defeat in the semi?
I agree with what you said in your other post. We essentially get men behind the ball and rely on the brilliance of 2 or 3 of the best dribblers in the league to gain results.

Which is a legitimate tactic don’t get me wrong, but is exposed when we are supposed to control the game or when they are injured.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
We looked sluggish and sloppy from the start. The set up for me was wrong and Robins putting Palmer as a CAM caused us all sorts.

For me the defence although it lacked protection at times for me was the big let down in big moments. Simms had Kilman and BuBue's number at all times. Bueno for their 2nd went walkies and for the 3rd Kilman just stood and turned sideways, inviting their player to wrap it round and he did. I may be harsh on Kilman but moments like that show he is not a captain and why I do not rate him as a defender. Stand up and face the ball. It screamed and felt exactly like the goal Mainoo scored against us.

Overall we deserved nothing. To come so close and via bad game management and decision making to throw it away is gutting.

Having so many players out does shine the spotlight on those that are left and our defence and today they failed, conceding 3 goals again against a championship team.

Would having a proper striker made the difference? Well we have not had one all season. But, Fraser looked out of his depth, but in his favour the other 10 did not help.

More frustrated that gutted. Frustrated by the performance. Frustrated by the way we set up. Good job we have a two week break now. Let's hope Cunha, Bellegarde and Dawson can play vs Villa.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Need to start asking questions about how we are defensively. All our defenders have good games here and there but not consistent enough for me, especially when we arent playing well as a team or come under pressure they fall apart. Noone takes charge back there at all

Willenhall wanderer

Reaction score
Even with Neto,Cunha and Hwang all season we have been Jekyl and Hyde and the defending in some games has been terrible today at home against a team from the Championship we were so poor in midfield and defence.I cant really understand this team brilliant at times so poor at other times today is embarrassing going to work with West Brom and Villa fans isn’t going to be easy

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chiwome was a bright spot. I'd like to see more of him between now and the end of the season. Feel for Fraser. Nothing went right for him but Chiwome impressed me more.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is difficult not to lose quite a lot of respect I had for this group, with that. I am so angry and upset at the glorious chance they have squandered. I don’t care if there are injuries - that is the most cowardly, disinterested, clueless and tactically inept performance I have seen from Wolves on the big occasion, in recent memory. Even more disappointing given how spirited the second half was against Fulham. I can only conclude they have mentally established their priorities.

From the off, we simply weren’t up for it and Cov could smell it on us. Gary did nothing to stop Palmer running riot from the advanced midfield position. Pass after pass was loose, the tempo was sluggish and the front two were never in it. The players gave the fans nothing whatsoever to feed off.

Even after what should have been the wakeup call of the opening goal, we were still second best all over the pitch. Sa (apart from Ait-Nouri, the only Wolves player who can look themselves in the mirror tonight) made save after save, very much earning his Olympiakos nickname of “The Wall”.

To then mug Coventry with two quick goals, and still contrive to lose from that position, makes it so much worse. It’s the stuff of nightmares, handpicked for maximum pain. This is worse than Watford, much worse. I think we will regret this one for years to come.

Last edited:

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutting, but not going to slate these lads who have worked their nuts off this season to get us this far and in the league position we are in. Cov deserved the extra time at least, but to get the winner at the death is crushing.

P.S Can we just go out in round 3 in future, far less painful.

Stourwolf

Reaction score
Absolutely dreadful.. Thank you Jose sa,,it could have been so much worse !

Corporal Hicks

Groupie
Reaction score
I’m still in disbelief, Cov should have had 4 or 5 in fairness but to go 2-1 up with only minutes left to then lose ….I’m numb, as painful as the Watford defeat. What an opportunity missed.
Somehow need to try and avoid anything football related for a while, my love of the FA Cup died today, too many heartbreaks in this competition.

Back
Top Bottom