Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FA CUP Round SIX March 17th 1973 Wolves 2 Coventry 0

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
50,106 saw Wolves win 2-0 with goals from a Kenny Hibbitt penalty and John Richards. The side that day was Phil Parkes / Gerry Taylor / Derek Parkin / Bernard Shaw / Frank Munro / John McAlle / Jim McCalliog / Kenny Hibbitt / John Richards / Derek Dougan / Dave Wagstaffe.

There is a wonderful 23 minute highlights package on YouTube posted by Mercian1969 . If one of my far more computer talented Mixers could post a link to that I feel sure that everyone who is a Woves fan will enjoy watching it. Especially the penalty kick demonstration from King Kenny Hibbitt on how to run up without any need to stutter and drill the shoot right into to the corner of the net .

I am sure that the Doug once got knocked out cold prior to a match with Coventry after getting a Steve Kindon rocket head slam into the side of his head. Does anyone else remember this ! ?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
50,106 saw Wolves win 2-0 with goals from a Kenny Hibbitt penalty and John Richards. The side that day was Phil Parkes / Gerry Taylor / Derek Parkin / Bernard Shaw / Frank Munro / John McAlle / Jim McCalliog / Kenny Hibbitt / John Richards / Derek Dougan / Dave Wagstaffe.

There is a wonderful 23 minute highlights package on YouTube posted by Mercian1969 . If one of my far more computer talented Mixers could post a link to that I feel sure that everyone who is a Woves fan will enjoy watching it. Especially the penalty kick demonstration from King Kenny Hibbitt on how to run up without any need to stutter and drill the shoot right into to the corner of the net .

I am sure that the Doug once got knocked out cold prior to a match with Coventry after getting a Steve Kindon rocket head slam into the side of his head. Does anyone else remember this ! ?
Palmer for Taylor and Bailey for Shaw and that is and always will be my favourite Wolves x1 of my lifetime. I still salivate when I see that front 5. Half a century ago. Where does your life go?

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Just to pick up on your final paragraph, Norman.

I was at that match when a Kindon rocket knocked out the Doog in the pre match warm up. Doog did recover if I am correct and played.

I saw Steve Kindon a couple of times a few years ago when he was an after dinner speaker ( a good one as well) at some sporting do's I attended. He always mentioned the incident with the Doog and said Bill McGarry raced onto the pitch when it happened and threatened to put 'Kindo' on the transfer list!

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there that day.

I cant really remember a big match where we felt more certain of winning than this one. Richards and Dougan were
unstoppable during that season, and the rest of the team cohered very well. Everyone knew their role and Phil Parkes
was at the top of his form as a goalkeeper to back up the rest.

But I went to the ensuing semi-final as well.....Leeds were a steamroller of a team and it was always going to be difficult to
win that one, especially without Bailey and McCalliog.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there that day.

I cant really remember a big match where we felt more certain of winning than this one. Richards and Dougan were
unstoppable during that season, and the rest of the team cohered very well. Everyone knew their role and Phil Parkes

But I went to the ensuing semi-final as well.....Leeds were a steamroller of a team and it was always going to be difficult to
I was so pleased when they lost to second division Sunderland in the final

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that I remember Parkes and Gary Pearce occasionally wearing green cotton type gloves.
Might have been on cold days only
Pierce definitely did. I was a junior goalkeeper then and wore something similar …

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Me too but I suspect being a teenager at the time also colours our memories

You’re probably right tonto but having said that, they were only two players short of being genuine title contenders.
Add Gordon Banks, the Doog was urging Bill McGarry to buy him when Leicester sold him to Stoke, and Colin Todd to partner Frank Munro at the back, and we would definitely be in the shake up for the title.

It was pleasing when the side were eventually rewarded by winning the League Cup in 74, after so many cruel disappointments in the previous years.

It’s still my happiest day as a Wolves supporter !!

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re probably right tonto but having said that, they were only two players short of being genuine title contenders.
Add Gordon Banks, the Doog was urging Bill McGarry to buy him when Leicester sold him to Stoke, and Colin Todd to partner Frank Munro at the back, and we would definitely be in the shake up for the title.

It was pleasing when the side were eventually rewarded by winning the League Cup in 74, after so many cruel disappointments in the previous years.

Those were the two players I wanted both superb, also a top quality right back as good as Parkin would have seen us win trophies

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mine too, so near so many times, then not replacing ageing players and relegation so soon after.
Back on track with Barnwell then the car crash

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back cover of the prog. with Danny Hegan and Jimmy Mac.

Attachments

• 20240229_1243011.jpg
    20240229_1243011.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 9

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
I was there that day.

I remember being in the South Bank and was surrounded by Coventry fans when we got the penalty and so couldn’t celebrate, however happily when King John scored they all seemed to have disappeared.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just looking at the FA Cup fixtures leading up to the Quarter Final that season:

FAC Round 3 - Wolves 1 v 0 Man Utd
FAC Round 4 - Wolves 1 v 0 Bristol City
FAC Round 5 - Wolves 1 v 0 Millwall

In the end it proved to be a dis-appointing season for us regarding cup success as Ipswich Town dumped us out of the Texaco Cup, Spurs in a two legged League Cup Semi Final (4-3) and finally Leeds in the FA Cup Semi Final at Maine Road (1-0).

We did however beat Arsenal 3-1 at Highbury in the FA Cup Third Place play off.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Noticeable that when Richards got splattered for the penalty he just sat up, dusted himself off and got on with it. Same player today would be rolling around feigning injury that would delay things for a good five minutes.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that I remember Parkes and Gary Pearce occasionally wearing green cotton type gloves.
Might have been on cold days only

My Mum had some green cotton gardening gloves that I would wear and call my Gary Pierce gloves. Then if I wanted to be that great eccentric German keeper Sepp Maier I would don my Dad's concreting gloves as Sepp Maier's gloves always seemed like The Incredible Hulk's mitts !!!!!!!!!

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just looking at the FA Cup fixtures leading up to the Quarter Final that season:

FAC Round 3 - Wolves 1 v 0 Man Utd
FAC Round 4 - Wolves 1 v 0 Bristol City
FAC Round 5 - Wolves 1 v 0 Millwall

In the end it proved to be a dis-appointing season for us regarding cup success as Ipswich Town dumped us out of the Texaco Cup, Spurs in a two legged League Cup Semi Final (4-3) and finally Leeds in the FA Cup Semi Final at Maine Road (1-0).

We did however beat Arsenal 3-1 at Highbury in the FA Cup Third Place play off.
The third place play-off was a pre-season match before the 1973-74 season.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to pick up on your final paragraph, Norman.

I was at that match when a Kindon rocket knocked out the Doog in the pre match warm up. Doog did recover if I am correct and played.

I saw Steve Kindon a couple of times a few years ago when he was an after dinner speaker ( a good one as well) at some sporting do's I attended. He always mentioned the incident with the Doog and said Bill McGarry raced onto the pitch when it happened and threatened to put 'Kindo' on the transfer list!
I was at that game and remember it well, the Doog was down and looked dead for a few minutes but was eventually back on his feet.
Steve Kindon stayed at my hotel up here in Dornie many years ago and he told me that McGarry hated both him and Dougan with a passion. Kindon said McGarry called him a useless fat ******* and he would shoot him if he could get hold of a gun. Sammy Chung trying to mediate between them told Kindon "he only mentioned shooting you because he heard it mentioned at a directors meeting"

Back
Top Bottom