Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Penalty shout

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steele completely takes out Bellegarde who was chasing a poor backpass, in the first half last night.

Reviewing the incident hard to see that it wasnt a penalty. Its a reckless challenge, two-footed, not just a penalty, but possibly a red card.

Yet the team and the fans didnt seem to appeal.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steele completely takes out Bellegarde who was chasing a poor backpass, in the first half last night.

Reviewing the incident hard to see that it wasnt a penalty. Its a reckless challenge, two-footed, not just a penalty, but possibly a red card.

Never a penalty in a million years…….

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another example of Wolves fans with their rose-coloured spectacles on. Never a penalty as Steele got the ball and Bellegarde went over the top. It looked dramatic, esp being in the penalty area and had that been Sa on Wellbeck we would outraged if a penalty had resulted.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did wonder momentarily but with next to no response from the NB, that immediately answered the question.
Player on player could result in a different decision perhaps, but in this instance the keeper made a clean save and didn't impede the player so fair decision imv.

BuzzWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
If you compare it to some of the "fouls" given against us on Buonanotte in the first half it's a penalty all day long.

Sephiroth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Behave

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Didn't look like one in real time and not seen a replay to be fair. Have you seen a replay?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doubt there are any extensive replays of it, it's only shown once even on the highlights on the Wolves site. Didn't realise it until re-watching just but because he's gone feet first there is an argument for it to be a pen as it'd probably be a foul anywhere else on the pitch. If he goes with his hands and blocks the ball then takes Bellegarde it's absolutely fine, that's what keepers do, but going in feet first makes it more of an outfield challenge and you're generally getting pulled up for it

Nowhere near as clear cut a no penalty as some are making out

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just stick it in the different rules for keepers that aren't actually specified in the laws of the game box

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its excessive force, two-footed and Bellegarde had to throw himself into the air to avoid physical harm. A foul with a possible red card anywhere on the pitch outside the penalty area. Advise reviewing.

The challenge can be seen at [2:15] of the Wolves highlight video. Without the benefit of a closer replay, it doesn't look remotely like a two footed tackle to me, i.e. in which the studs of both feet are the focal point of the challenge. The contact is with the trunk of Steele's body / upper legs, of which he gets a very obvious chunk of the ball given how it flies off in a totally different direction.

I am an old fashioned sort that doesn't like seeing players penalised for winning the ball, even if there is contact on the man afterwards. As ever, it is wise to put the shoe on the other foot. Would you really want to see a penalty and a red card against Sa for this?

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Don’t think it was a penalty.

But …

Had that been the exact same but roles reversed and Bellagarde been the one getting the ball second and and Steel been taken out you knownit would be a free kick and VAR would look at a possible red card.

Likewise if the exact same happened in the middle of the pitch VAR would look at it … and if it was a wolves player doing what Steele did it would be a red.

Keepers get too much protection … and I say this as a goalkeeper.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another example of Wolves fans with their rose-coloured spectacles on. Never a penalty as Steele got the ball and Bellegarde went over the top. It looked dramatic, esp being in the penalty area and had that been Sa on Wellbeck we would outraged if a penalty had resulted.
There you go again, exaggerating and painting 'fans' (plural) as bad guys.
ONE poster posts something, admits the team and fans in the ground didn't appeal, most replies here are saying no penalty, but 'fans' have their 'rose' coloured spectacles on.
Jesus wept, can't even get the spectacles colour right.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bellegarde gets to the ball first, and is then wiped out, on closer inspection.

The more you look, the more definite it is a penalty.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
*Fan. Nobody is agreeing with him

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just stick it in the different rules for keepers that aren't actually specified in the laws of the game box
Yeah I'd go with this. Had it been an outfield player making exactly the same challenge in the box I'm sure VAR would have had a bloody good look at it

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
1000005954.jpg
I do think it would be looked at with two outfield players (I mean it was looked I think - nobody told us silly buggers in the ground of course), still don't think it would have been a red and that's the only way it can be a penalty as he clearly hit the ball first.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t think it was a penalty, it never entered my mind.

Reactions: Ned

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was definitely looked at by VAR, the ref held up a throw in just after. There was a half hearted appeal from us in the North Bank but I thought the keeper got the ball, would have been furious if given against us.

Back
Top Bottom