Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary v nuno

koplex

Groupie
Reaction score
For all of Nuno’s qualities he never really found a plan B and if we went behind in games 9 out of 10 times we lost.

Not true, actually. In his first three PL seasons, Nuno's team had the following points gained from losing positions:

18/19: +14 (3rd in league)
19/20: +21 (1st in league)
20/21: +16 (5th in league)

For comparison, this season we are currently +11 (7th in league).

Nuno's lack of Plan B was his inability to break down inferior teams that came to defend.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't let how Nuno's reign ended cloud what we actually saw in those first three seasons.

Some of the best football we've ever seen. We were absolutely electric at times. And frankly Nuno was a tactical genius for long periods, particularly in games against 'better' opposition and how we moved as a unit off the ball and countered to perfection.

Wembley and a European Quarter Final.

Gary is doing brilliant, but let's see how we are in 18 months so we have a bigger sample size. Great opportunity for us to get to Wembley this year so that'd be a good start.

What I would say is that under Nuno, I genuinely thought we could beat anybody, home or away. Starting to get there with Gary too. We don't look as solid but we're willing to have a go and have the players to score goals.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard comparison for me as I’m still misty eyed for Nuno. He definitely had a better squad, I don’t think that’s in doubt. Tactically I think GON edges it. For all of Nuno’s qualities he never really found a plan B and if we went behind in games 9 out of 10 times we lost. GON has managed to get real attacking intent into us while being relatively good defensively (nowhere near as good as we were under Nuno).

Man management is hard choice. Nuno had that aura about him and real charisma but GON has got the squad together and fighting for the cause.

This is like saying Kylie or Danni Minogue, both please!!
Danni all day(and night) long

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
Nuno had a great project and rising from the Championship amazing.

GON had some of the foundations of that to build on but it the edifice was pretty much falling away. Gary deserves a project!

It was interesting yesterday on BBC 5X comms - Mark Warburton was saying almost immediately how Wolves looked with the game even at 0-0 and 0-1.

So tactically and adjusting in play.

GON earlier on in his managerial career and is developing but has that appetite to keep ahead of things.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno was brilliant and put us back on the map and we could mix it with the best.

Gary is doing brilliantly, with no preseason and took us on when there was a lot of negativity around the club. We are scoring for fun and exciting to watch.

For me there doesn't need to be a comparison, just an appreciation that things are going so well, but will also remember what Nuno did for us.

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't let how Nuno's reign ended cloud what we actually saw in those first three seasons. Some of the best football we've ever seen. We were absolutely electric at times. And frankly Nuno was a tactical genius for long periods, particularly in games against 'better' opposition and how we moved as a unit off the ball and countered to perfection.
I know Gary has also done a job on Pep this season brilliantly, but the job Nuno did on him at the City ground was one of the best I've ever seen. Putting Traore at wingback was inspired. He ate prime Sterling for breakfast, and decisively exploded up the pitch with Raul, right at the time when City were throwing the kitchen sink and all the plumbing at us. We should've beaten them there in the promotion year League Cup as well; Enobakhare missed three one-on-ones!

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno had a lot of wins keeping clean sheets whereas in the league this season CS are rare.
Think Lemina and Gomes energy beats Neves and Moutinho..... Like people have said it would be close. Need another half a season to see just how good this lot are.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Way too soon for comparisons and we shouldnt anyway
2 different teams in 2 different times
GON hasnt got a single player of his own chosing,if coaches get to chose nowadays
Nuno had a great Championship season and one and a half great seasons in the Prem,after that it all started to go South a bit
GON has done great so far with very limited options, but we need a couple of seasons for any kind of meaningful comparison, if at all

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it would be fairly even and could go either way on any given day.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno ahead by a distance right now. That said, we are more fun to watch now. Love what Nuno did but **** me his style was boring far more often than not. Goalless half time scorelines were virtually guaranteed.

Benny78

Reaction score
Nuno’s side were better for mine. Raul and Jota, Neves and Moutinho, Coady and Boly, they were all quality as was Rui in goal. We were usually hard to score against back then, which isn’t the case now.

Still, loving this side and can see more improvement coming - it’s exciting times once again.

BillyBoots

Groupie
Reaction score
I had us on for relegation Gary comes in 4 days before the season and we're 10th in the premier league and scoring for fun. We must be one of the most together teams in the country. Hard not to put Him in the top spot.

I'll never forget what Nuno did in fact I'd give him a statue now.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard comparison for me as I’m still misty eyed for Nuno. He definitely had a better squad, I don’t think that’s in doubt. Tactically I think GON edges it. For all of Nuno’s qualities he never really found a plan B and if we went behind in games 9 out of 10 times we lost. GON has managed to get real attacking intent into us while being relatively good defensively (nowhere near as good as we were under Nuno).
You sure about that when going behind under Nuno, we lost 9 times out of 10? You're confusing him with Lage

In terms of points gained after going behind in Nuno's three PL seasons, we ranked 3rd, 1st and 5th in the league, so fair to say that we regularly got results after falling behind. Lage on the other hand, he could barely muster an equaliser, let alone a result after going behind

This season, we're currently 7th for points gained after going behind. Trailed in 14 games, won 3 drew 2. Lage's full season - 17th. We went behind 20 times and lost 17 of them. Nuno's three seasons... went behind 20 times in 18/19, won 3 drew 5, 22 times in 19/20, won 4 drew 9, 19 times in 20/21, won 4 drew 4

lycophilos

Reaction score
I wonder if some Wolves fans realize just what an exceptional job Nuno did in getting Wolves a spectacular promotion in his very first season as a manager in England, followed by consecutive 7th place finishes in the top flight. In purely footballing terms an achievement which I suspect has rarely been equaled, let alone surpassed.

But it's not just the stuff on the pitch. Yes, money was spent, much more than what some fans have given the club credit for, but also much less than claimed by those detractors from other club fanbases, who accused Wolves of "buying" promotion and top flight stability. Anyone who has followed Wolves over that period knows that what happened wasn't due only, or even mainly, to the money. It was the instilling of an intense family feeling, a team spirit, a wolf-pack mentality, and one which encompassed not just the team and the club, but reached out to and included the fans, and the City and community of Wolverhampton. And this wasn't done as some sort of agenda, trumpeted by Nuno in the media. It was done in a quiet, unobtrusive way, typical of the man himself, by his own personal example. It was entirely appropriate that he was honoured by the local university, as he was more important to the City than just the manager/coach of the local football club.

I am not actually a Wolves fan. But what happened at Wolves under Nuno turned me into a Wolves lover "Lycophilos". Then he left, but I stayed interested because I hoped that his legacy would be maintained. Unfortunately, after a few months of Lage, I could sense that it was slipping away. Lopetegui was an improvement, but that intense feeling of togetherness which typified the Nuno era still wasn't there. I was beginning to lose interest in Wolves (as I said, I'm not really a Wolves fan). Then came GON. Already within a few weeks, whatever the situation on the pitch, it seemed to me that the Nuno togetherness feeling was coming back. And now it's showing too in the performances on the pitch. Surely it is that spirit which showed in the recent performances, each of which has been remarkable in its own way. Particularly in coming back from being down in a game.

Comparisons are inevitable, but can be odious. Please let's not use this thread to denigrate the achievements of an exceptional manager, or of one who may be on the way to becoming one.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nuno had a blank sheet really, none of the players we signed were regular first teamers apart from Neves and an ageing Moutinho. He did a fantastic job bringing on Neves, Jota, Raul, Saiss, Jonny. Completely changed (for the better) the careers of Coady and Doc.
I'm loving what Gary has/is achieving, getting the best out of some players and in a great attacking style. He did however inherit Cunha, Gomes, RAN, Lemina and Neto.....probably our most important players.
So far he's doing much better than most expected, let's see how his tricky second album turns out next season.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Folks say you shouldn't compare, and it's quite possible to be a big fan of both, but comparing is part of football. When I started going, the comparison was Ronnie Allen and Bill McGarry, but IMO the most ridiculous comparison was the chants, "Burnside -- Peter Knowles" most likely a major wind up.

Nivada

Reaction score
Nuno had the better players. I honestly think what gary's doing is more impressive by miles.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s like comparing apples and oranges really.

Nuno had the opportunity to build his own team around ‘the idea’ and GON has inherited a team with PL infrastructure and a decent first XI.

With no time, few signings and the need to sell, l doubt there are few coaches who could have done better, but sometimes the best things come when there are restrictions on resources.

Having a big budget doesn’t guarantee quality or winning. It takes a different coach to mould into your own philosophy just as it takes a different coach to keep it all together when there’s no pot to urinate in.

So in my opinion they are both the right coaches at the right time. I think if you swapped their times, they would not perform as well.

Come the the hour, cometh the man etc etc

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will always love Nuno, and GON will need to go some to surpass him in my eyes, maybe when we win the cup this season I'll put him up there with him

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely loved Nuno, GON is really impressing me..
This is how I'd split them.

Nuno is the manager to get you 2-0 up in an FA cup semi final, then mess it up with his subs.

GON is the manager that makes the subs to get you out of that mess.

Back
Top Bottom