Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary v nuno

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jota & Raul would do terrible things to our CBs, but lemina & gomes are the kind of midfielders neves & moutinho would struggle against. Semedo up against Jonny would cancel each other out. However Neto / Cunha running at Doc etc would be interesting. The way we press now had a habit of working well against Nuno teams.

It would be interesting to say the least!

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno obviously had the better squad especially in his second season.

However 2 very different styles of manager.

Nuno we had an identity. This is how we play, no matter who you are. Each player knew their role and as fans it really gave us something to cling onto. Identity is really important when it comes to building a relationship.

Gary is a Tactician, a grandmaster. He looks at the opposition and adjusts our team accordingly. To me he doesn't feel very Wolves. But God, I'm enjoying it and think he's going to have a great career in management.

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jota & Raul would do terrible things to our CBs, but lemina & gomes are the kind of midfielders neves & moutinho would struggle against. Semedo up against Jonny would cancel each other out. However Neto / Cunha running at Doc etc would be interesting. The way we press now had a habit of working well against Nuno teams.

It would be interesting to say the least!
Add to that, prime Adama would make mincemeat of whichever left back Gary could put out; if he could pick out pre-injury Raul like he used to, that would be hard to live with, and I doubt Hwang or Cunha would get much change out of Coady / Boly / Saiss. The only way Gary wins is if he exploits Nuno's only and pervasive weakness, the inability to break down a low block. I think it would be a contest between two sides trying to lay traps and counter attack, with the wide positions being the points of most intrigue. It would be identity vs adaptability.

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
never thought anyone would out do nuno but the PE teacher is certainly making his mark

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That Nuno team was unreal, this teams good, but let’s not get carried away, we ain’t finishing seventh, win the cup maybe I’ll change my mind

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Nuno had a better side but I’d back Gary to do a job on Nuno tactically.
Fair assessment, Nuno had some very talented footballers - a pre-injury Raul, Jota, prime Moutinho and Neves, and that's just to name a few. Patricio, Jonny and Boly were all very good at the time, too.

Our squad now is good, but doesn't quite have that much quality. However, I'd say GON is getting the most out of this group, and our athletic/dynamic midfield would've caused even our best Nuno PL side some serious issues.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Best combined team…

Patricio
Kilman, Coady, Boly
Semedo, Lemina, Neves, RAN
Neto, Jota, Cunha

Sa, Jonny, Doherty, Saiss, Gomes, Moutinho, Adama, Raul, Sarabia

Can’t believe I’m leaving Raul out but the pace, fluidity and running power of that front three plus RAN on the break would be frightening!

As for the Managers, I don’t think anyone will top Nuno in my time. But I’m really falling for Gary…

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best combined team…

Patricio
Kilman, Coady, Boly
Neto, Jota, Cunha

Can’t believe I’m leaving Raul out but the pace, fluidity and running power of that front three plus RAN on the break would be frightening!

As for the Managers, I don’t think anyone will top Nuno in my time. But I’m really falling for Gary…
Normally you’re sensible but never in a million years is Raul not in that team! Jota wouldn’t get in over Raul, remember how many assists Raul got? And also a closer call but a Jonny in his prime is above Semedo for me

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
been in the job 6 months, some people wanted him out after not beating Luton vs our best modern manager where we finished 7th, UEL QF, FA cup semi final for 3yrs. He is doing brilliantly and surpassing all expectations and then some. But lets all just chill out a bit.
If we lose today the self-inflated europe bubble has popped and the air would of gone out the league season.
But we didnt and GON is doing brilliantly but lets just breathe people.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Normally you’re sensible but never in a million years is Raul not in that team! Jota wouldn’t get in over Raul, remember how many assists Raul got? And also a closer call but a Jonny in his prime is above Semedo for me

I know. Raul would have to be in. I’m just a sucker for fast, direct runners and suffering from a bad case of recency bias :)

Realistically, it would have to be Raul surrounded by two of Neto, Jota and Cunha.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to have at least two seasons to compare. One thing I would add though is they need to back him in the summer or pointless any comparison. As most pundits had us as relegation candidates and so we're most thinking this after sales and limited investment.

Fair play O'Neil he and the coaching team done a great job .

Just pray they back him

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno had the far better team imo. But GON has got this far with no pre-season and inherited players and no big spends. It will take some time for me to fall for this team like I did for Nuno's but the signs are promising. I'm enjoying seeing us scoring again and tbh it's not something we did too much under Nuno in his prime.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never say never. Not to be sniffed at. The FA cup glory of 1960 spirit is firmly with us.
A story for you all ,my mom and dad had to put back the wedding by one week due to the fact the best man had a cup final ticket, that was 30th of April 1949 ( the last time we beat baggies in cup ) now in 2019 I was sure that it was our turn mom died on the last day of February , her birthday being first of March ,
We bloody lost, This time I just know it’s our year

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t swap GON for Nuno, Loppy or anyone else for that matter.

Incredible job he’s doing.

Nige

Reaction score
lets see where we finish first. Nuno First 23 in Prem 29 points GON first 23 in Prem 32 points.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fairly sure Nuno had the better players. Though at times, I'm not sure the 100% emphasis he put on organisation and playing virtually the same way, got the best out of them in every match.

Though individual quality is somewhat lower overall now, Gary is getting the best out of every single player. I don't think there would be much in it on current form.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best combined team…

Patricio
Kilman, Coady, Boly
Neto, Jota, Cunha

Be great to see your team play but I think mine would be better ;
3-5-2

Patricio,
Dawson, Coady, Boly
Doc, Moutinho, Lemina, Neves, RAN
Jimenez, Jota.

Sa, Saiss, Traore, Jonny, Gomes, Cunha, Neto, Hwang, Vitinha

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fun game, but for me, Nuno hands down. Had better players, exciting, fast-breaking interplay between Jota and Jimi. He also finished 7th twice and reached an FA Cup semi and a European quarter.
GON has achieved a 10th place (so far) 23 matches into the season, so a long way to go, but he's on an upwards curve.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think the teams would match up quite well. Lemina and Gomes would be the exact kind of midfield Neves and Moutinho didn't like to play against, but open, attacking sides were what Nuno tactically picked off brilliantly

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some people are getting carried away after a really good result. This team is pretty exciting to watch, but Nuno's side were just stronger and better balanced imo. Raul was one of the best all round strikers in Europe and his play would have given all our center halves nightmares with his ability.

I think people are sleeping a bit on Jonny as well. Pre injury, he was an outstanding full back and a better all round player than RAN is right now.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard comparison for me as I’m still misty eyed for Nuno. He definitely had a better squad, I don’t think that’s in doubt. Tactically I think GON edges it. For all of Nuno’s qualities he never really found a plan B and if we went behind in games 9 out of 10 times we lost. GON has managed to get real attacking intent into us while being relatively good defensively (nowhere near as good as we were under Nuno).

Man management is hard choice. Nuno had that aura about him and real charisma but GON has got the squad together and fighting for the cause.

This is like saying Kylie or Danni Minogue, both please!!

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For entertainment, this is the best we have seen since being in the premier league. Nunos first couple of years in the premier were amazing, but was often built on a strong defence, getting the first goal on the break, then a second later in the game as the opposition were more open. Whos to say GON tactics wont be worked out soon by others, but for the moment, personally feel that this is the best entertainment we have seen.

Back
Top Bottom