Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Can we discuss Hobbs ?

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's his job to recruit though. He (and his team) had these players lined up as options, we didn't just pop down to Sainsburys and have a look through the yellow sticker aisle.
Absolutely but we had to go bargain basement at the last minute and how many of other targets didn’t want to join a club with no ambition?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had no money to the zero hour so went out and got what we could in that time. I get it, toys are out the pram and everyone is in your scopes but I don't get what bad can be said about the recruitment given the circumstances.
The toys aren't out of the pram but I hope your condescending words make you feel better about yourself.

I am merely commenting on a thread titled "Can we discuss Hobbs?" that our summer signings don't appear to be money well spent at this point in time. Yes we had no money for most of the summer but these were targets from before then, as Hobbs stated on the official site.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The toys aren't out of the pram but I hope your condescending words make you feel better about yourself.

I am merely commenting on a thread titled "Can we discuss Hobbs?" that our summer signings don't appear to be money well spent at this point in time. Yes we had no money for most of the summer but these were targets from before then, as Hobbs stated on the official site.
Fools me, appears to be the case today.

Yeah, and I don't there is much fair cop to discuss given the lack of funds and time, what we could get in has been a miracle save nothing else.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fools me, appears to be the case today.

Yeah, and I don't there is much fair cop to discuss given the lack of funds and time, what we could get in has been a miracle save nothing else.
That's fine mate, I disagree. I won't try and belittle your opinion.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone else fear that we may end up losing this guy? His list of strengths and key achievements are looking increasingly attractive.....

- Capable of acting as a buffer between owners ingrained in secrecy, stonewalling and deception and high-maintenance dugout divas, at least long enough to save you from relegation
- Can turn you from a guaranteed 10 point deduction and years of wrestling with profit and sustainability issues to a tightly-run ship within two transfer windows without any negative impact on performances or league position
- Can find you a box-to-box midfielder cast aside by two other PL teams that ends up transforming your team
- Track record of picking a manager nobody else wants (including 98% of his own fan base) that turns out to be a potential candidate for the England job, transforming the lowest scorers around into a free-scoring attacking maelstrom despite selling the majority of our strikers

O'Neil is getting all the plaudits, and rightly so, but Hobbs is looking more and more like a Chairman's dream, especially with the reality of P&S looming over a lot of clubs. Do we think we might have a hard time keeping hold of him?

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Does anyone else fear that we may end up losing this guy? His list of strengths and key achievements are looking increasingly attractive.....

- Capable of acting as a buffer between owners ingrained in secrecy, stonewalling and deception and high-maintenance dugout divas, at least long enough to save you from relegation
- Can turn you from a guaranteed 10 point deduction and years of wrestling with profit and sustainability issues to a tightly-run ship within two transfer windows without any negative impact on performances or league position
- Can find you a box-to-box midfielder cast aside by two other PL teams that ends up transforming your team
- Track record of picking a manager nobody else wants (including 98% of his own fan base) that turns out to be a potential candidate for the England job, transforming the lowest scorers around into a free-scoring attacking maelstrom despite selling the majority of our strikers

O'Neil is getting all the plaudits, and rightly so, but Hobbs is looking more and more like a Chairman's dream, especially with the reality of P&S looming over a lot of clubs. Do we think we might have a hard time keeping hold of him?
Maybe in a few years. Wouldn't worry about it just at the moment.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not a chance, generally loves being here is my understanding, he's got a lot of trust and wiggle room.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ben wriggles worth would take over so no.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a chance, generally loves being here is my understanding, he's got a lot of trust and wiggle room.
I was told similar by my ITK agent pal. My pals very close to wolves as he has and does look after numerous Academy players now and going back to the Batth/Price days. He raves about Hobbs, said he’s very open and hands on in discussions and has built a very good team around him. It was put to me that he’s very much trusted by those above him to just do the job and there’s not a lot of interference.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Like most things in life, it’s a waste of time and energy to imagine things might go wrong or bad. Best to just enjoy life in the meantime.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was told similar by my ITK agent pal. My pals very close to wolves as he has and does look after numerous Academy players now and going back to the Batth/Price days. He raves about Hobbs, said he’s very open and hands on in discussions and has built a very good team around him. It was put to me that he’s very much trusted by those above him to just do the job and there’s not a lot of interference.
This is good news as it’s from the ‘inside’. Too often we have to judge by our perceptions which may not be very accurate.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That’s ok, the club are holding some dirt on him… it’s the evidence he wanted to hire Beale :)

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is good news as it’s from the ‘inside’. Too often we have to judge by our perceptions which may not be very accurate.
We talk a lot as he’s a) a good pal but but b) a wolves fan so likes to give me what he knows.

He’s said for a while how Hobbs has built a really good team below him with some very talented people.

He has told me that he doesn’t expect him to be here in the long term, such is how much he rates him that he could end up at a “big 6”

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We talk a lot as he’s a) a good pal but but b) a wolves fan so likes to give me what he knows.

He’s said for a while how Hobbs has built a really good team below him with some very talented people.

He has told me that he doesn’t expect him to be here in the long term, such is how much he rates him that he could end up at a “big 6”
It was all going well until that last line.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good to hear

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope they aye as good as our lads :tearsofjoy:
He does a bit of a hybrid scouting / agent bit. Takes players to clubs at a young age on the basis the family ends up trusting him and he represents them when old enough to sign (not that he hasn’t been shafted by parents in the past when that day comes!!). He tries to work predominantly Black Country side as the Birmingham clubs have sewn up their side. Done it for a couple of decades now and well respected (these days!) at wolves. To the point They unofficially push players in his direction now who don’t have representation at signing point. He was hated in the Moxey era, the fat controller banned him from Compton. What is interesting (from a fan point) is what clubs want in young players. He’s said to me since Hobbs started before the promotion to where he is now, that he was always asked for quick technically gifted players conversely the Albion only ever want him to bring them big athletes regardless of technical ability.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wasn’t he being tapped up by Man United for a similar role to the one he was previously in before Jeff offered him the keys to the kingdom?

I could definitely see that happening again if he continues to find gems next summer. He comes across as being very astute.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn’t he being tapped up by Man United for a similar role to the one he was previously in before Jeff offered him the keys to the kingdom?

I could definitely see that happening again if he continues to find gems next summer. He comes across as being very astute.
The big worry for me would be Liverpool as their sporting director is going the same time as Klopp. That’d be a hard gig for him to turn down

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Be more concerned with Chelsea....his father has 20 years history of scouting for Chelsea....

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
Matt Hobbs has done a round of interviews with the media. Main points from the Athletic version:

• Summer 2024 to sell at least one star player for big money and look to re-invest money to find the next Neto or Gomes
  • GON has done well enough to have a conversation about a contract renewal in the summer - GON will be in much stronger position - GON is "meticulous", "attention to detail is incredible" as is his work ethic; still learning and is humble. Natural that he pushes for new players. Players bought into GON
  • Work ongoing on identifying potential next head coaches.
  • Gomes perfect example of "Hobbs mould for a Molineux signing" - right age, low maintenance, right price
  • Before Hobbs Sporting Director - UK-based recruitment team felt research underused. "that's fine, that's football, that's how it works."
  • Now: "It's more important to find the perfect player for us, not the perfect player for someone else"
  • Setting strategy (Hobbs is a custodian of the club), being honest with the head coach from the start, and sticking to strategy key for Hobbs. "If we finish the season and just miss out (on European qualification), it could be like, ‘If we just had a little bit of a go…’."
  • Strategy is to be in the fight for European places as "a disruptor".
  • "I like finding a Max Kilman or a Joao Gomes before anyone else does it and that actually excites me more than going and spending £40million on a player." Problem is when not enough due diligence done on high fee / high wage earners (Hobbs cites summer 2022)
  • While Hobbs played down the idea, it’s a certainty that star man Neto will be departing - expect club record fee to be comfortably exceeded - Wolves will attempt to increase price but Mendes involvement means an agreement likely
  • Want to find buyers for Podence and Silva and sales to be £100 million to give Hobbs and GON money to invest
  • Hobbs prefer to sell one player than three - Gomes, RAN and Cunha will be sought after. Sarbia and Semedo last year of contracts next season
  • Ideally don't want to sell more than 2 starters every summer but if big clubs come calling and players want to go and money can be re-invested...then...
  • Showed last season that can weather losing 3 or 4 starters
No great surprises here, just some interesting talking points.

How's Hobbs doing? I guess more of an answer when summer 2024 window closes?

Last edited:

ade123

Reaction score
  • "I like finding a Max Kilman or a Joao Gomes before anyone else does it and that actually excites me more than going and spending £40million on a player." Problem is when not enough due diligence done on high fee / high wage earners (Hobbs cites summer 2022)".
This the key going forward. Is this also saying that with right due diligence then the club would look at the higher echelon player for the right price/needed position? eg a Cunha at the right price?

Back
Top Bottom