Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

GON vs JL - Record After 23 Games

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
O'Neil and Lopetegui have similar records but only one restored the feel-good factor

1707284035812.png

In Lopetegui’s spell in charge, Wolves had the Premier League’s lowest expected goals (xG) tally — a statistical model assessing the quality of chances created — with 22.1 and created the fewest ‘big chances’ — defined by data provider Opta as a chance from which a player can reasonably be expected to score — with 21.

Under O’Neil, they have the 13th-highest xG (32.5) and the 12th-highest big chances tally (47).

Their figures for xG against — the quality of chances their opponents manage to create — are almost identical (40.3 under Lopetegui and fractionally better under O’Neil at 39.6).

A very interesting read

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The style, flair and attacking intent is the main difference.

More often than not we are a joy to watch.
Since that west ham game we’re a different team no more walking pace rubbish

Loppy got us fired up we looked a good team by the end of it.

The grass was greener and nobody thought it. Hobbs deserves his accolade on this one.

Last edited:

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Shows they both did/are doing an excellent job.

Lopetegui had the benefit of inheriting Neves and Nunes but no real quality up top and came in at a time where we had taken 11 points from the previous 22 games.

O’Neil has had the benefit of a fully fit Neto and Hwang and Cunha now being acclimatised to the English game (which has made us immensely more enjoyable to watch) but took over at the last minute and has had to win virtually all of us round.

Different circumstances, different styles of play to suit those. Ultimately, it’s all working out pretty well.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON is doing brilliantly, and our football is clearly far more fun to watch.

But I think a lot of people are re-writing history because their widdle feeling got hert by Lopetegui leaving. To take us from being as abject as we were to surviving comfortably was a great achievement, even with the advantages of the signings and the winter break.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Lopetegui did a brilliant job keeping us up. Yes he had a good group of players and was backed in January but there’s a reason not many teams who are bottom at Xmas stay up.

O’Neil is doing a fabulous job. I’ll hold my hands up and say I wasn’t really impressed when he got the job, but he’s made me eat so much humble pie it’s unreal.

It’s interesting to compare the two but probably doesn’t need to be done.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any manager in JLs position, does the same, tightens up at the back, makes you difficult to beat and you go from there, JLs figures are also skewed by some heavy dead rubber defeats.

JL gave the foundation with the 5 signings, GON has built on it.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score

Lopetegui had the benefit of inheriting Neves and Nunes but no real quality up top and came in at a time where we had taken 11 points from the previous 22 games.

O’Neil has had the benefit of a fully fit Neto and Hwang and Cunha now being acclimatised to the English game (which has made us immensely more enjoyable to watch) but took over at the last minute and has had to win virtually all of us round.

Different circumstances, different styles of play to suit those. Ultimately, it’s all working out pretty well.

Agree with this take, with the addition of one additional benefit for Lopetgeui — having a 6 week mini-pre season to refine his ideas and tactics vs 4 days for GON

DJLWolf

Reaction score

Ye, agreed.They both did very good jobs with different challenges to overcome.

I think it also shows that we've been a side knocking on the door of the top 8-10 for over a calender year now, which is really, really positive.

It will be nice starting next season in less turbulent fashion (hopefully!!)

loppers86

Reaction score
Any manager in JLs position, does the same, tightens up at the back, makes you difficult to beat and you go from there, JLs figures are also skewed by some heavy dead rubber defeats.

absolutely right.

i’d also add that JL wasn’t given the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth when appointed.

he didn’t handle it great, but many of us would leave our jobs if we were given a misleading picture when we were appointed.

the sound platform that JL provided has been built on superbly by Gary to the point where we are now as enthusiastic and optimistic as we were when Nuno took over and starting from a higher base.

if only Jeff wasn’t waiting in the wings to **** it all up again!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thats how i see it as well. I didnt and still dont like the carry on Lopetegui did, even though he probably had a right to feel lied to and let down. He should have acted with a bit more class and dignity.

At the same time as i have said previously, he got the team ready as if he was staying on in pre season and did it professionally on the playing side. We were playing some excellent attacking football and i think we would probably be where we are now if he stayed on, probably not quite as free flowing in attack, but not far off and probably better defensively.

GON to my surprise has just grown into the role as the season has gone on. We are playing some excellent stuff and its actually been fun to watch.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since that west ham game we’re a different team no more walking pace rubbish

Loppy got us fired up we looked a good team by the end of it.

The grass was greener and nobody thought it. Hobbs deserves his accolade on this one.
Hobbs got it right when doing interviews garys presentation was suppose to be immense, and i expect he was showing how he can get things out of each existing player, how he can work with no signing and what philosophy he was bringing

everything i heard out of compton was Gary was very very impressive and hobbs bought in

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL had some bad defeats with brighton etc, but did his job, tighten us up get us up the league he did it we were bottom on 10 points.

Fair play to JL he wanted more and wanted to kick on and we would have done under him, but GON has took over and done something slightly different in terms of attacking intent and dribbling. He wants us to play with excitement and drive.

Both good managers, but watching talksport, S Jordan made a good point, GON start of career happy to work in terms of tight restrictions, something to prove. JL established high class manager, trophy winner, wont work in restrictions as many other managers like him wont

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL had to keep us up in just over half a season so a tight negative approach helped. I think apart from that it shows we are actually a decent side
Agreed.

But why did Nuno get so many pelters in his final season, for playing pragmatic football, when he lost all his goalscorers, just to keep us up??

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
Gaz doing it at a fraction of the cost of JL and his 439 backroom staff as well!

He’s doing an unbelievable job, hopefully gets some backing this summer.
We can only believe in the good.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To be fair Neto has missed half the games and Hwang has been away for a month so it looks even better for GON

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The thing now is that we've got a clear squad bond and they obviously love each other and O'Neil. The characters we got in like Cunha, Dawson and Lemina are team players who want to win for the club, not their careers. Shifting out those who might have been a drag is also important. The character we've shown when going behind has been immense. Happy times ahead, probably bigger tests for O'Neil when we try to deal a bit, but you'd struggle to fault him so far.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL had some bad defeats with brighton etc, but did his job, tighten us up get us up the league he did it we were bottom on 10 points.

Fair play to JL he wanted more and wanted to kick on and we would have done under him, but GON has took over and done something slightly different in terms of attacking intent and dribbling. He wants us to play with excitement and drive.

Both good managers, but watching talksport, S Jordan made a good point, GON start of career happy to work in terms of tight restrictions, something to prove. JL established high class manager, trophy winner, wont work in restrictions as many other managers like him wont

That is the big difference, Lopetegui has the reputation ( and he does no matter what people think about his personality ) where as GON was very lucky to land a premier league job after his dismisal from Bournemouth. If GON follows this season up with another good season next season then his stock will be high enough where working with a limited budget here might not appeal anymore if he gets other offers.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gaz doing it at a fraction of the cost of JL and his 439 backroom staff as well!

He’s doing an unbelievable job, hopefully gets some backing this summer.
Thats one of the big changes

Its just Cutler, Derry, Gon and Jenkins.

I think thats worked well for us, and the fact they all on the bench seem so invested is fantastic

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed.

But why did Nuno get so many pelters in his final season, for playing pragmatic football, when he lost all his goalscorers, just to keep us up??
With Nuno it was a build up of frustration after 2 and a half seasons of great exciting football, he went into ultra cautious mode and the football was as dull as dishwater,plus his own demeanour seemed to change with that infectious smile very clearly missing for the most part
Maybe not fair but its how it was

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Nuno it was a build up of frustration after 2 and a half seasons of great exciting football, he went into ultra cautious mode and the football was as dull as dishwater,plus his own demeanour seemed to change with that infectious smile very clearly missing for the most part
Maybe not fair but its how it was

There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever for me the Raul injury and Covid took away a part of Nuno and i think it effected just his whole feeling about football. Dont think he has ever been the same since.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs got it right when doing interviews garys presentation was suppose to be immense, and i expect he was showing how he can get things out of each existing player, how he can work with no signing and what philosophy he was bringing

everything i heard out of compton was Gary was very very impressive and hobbs bought in
Which we heard, and assumed it was the same kind of buzzword bull**** that Beale has made a living from. Turns out though, he can walk the walk as well.
Younger British coaching seems to be on the same kind of upward trend we’ve seen in recent years in the quality and technical ability of the players, with the seeds sown many years before starting to bear fruit.
The big question then, is can these young, progressive, tactically astute coaches connect with players, and not be dismissed as nobodies because they don’t have the name, stature or charisma of a Lopetegui or Nuno.
Looks like Gary can, and bravo to him, with a huge slice of that pie for me.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looetegiu deserves credit for doing a good job with a decent squad that was better than what had been shown

GON deserves more credit for working with a smaller squad with zero notice, little in the way of additions with a fraction of the experience and backroom staff and improving all of the players in the squad, while harmonising the club

Lopetegui 0 GON 1

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui did a brilliant job keeping us up. Yes he had a good group of players and was backed in January but there’s a reason not many teams who are bottom at Xmas stay up.

O’Neil is doing a fabulous job. I’ll hold my hands up and say I wasn’t really impressed when he got the job, but he’s made me eat so much humble pie it’s unreal.

It’s interesting to compare the two but probably doesn’t need to be done.
There are also reasons why teams become mired at the bottom at Christmas, it's almost always because those teams have poorer quality players. Lage had us in a false position for the players at his availability.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looetegiu deserves credit for doing a good job with a decent squad that was better than what had been shown

GON deserves more credit for working with a smaller squad with zero notice, little in the way of additions with a fraction of the experience and backroom staff and improving all of the players in the squad, while harmonising the club

Lopetegui 0 GON 1

Surely Lopetegui 1 GON 2?

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we can keep this team together (a big if I know) and add a couple surely we'd go into next season with a realistic shot at a top 6 finish

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we can keep this team together (a big if I know) and add a couple surely we'd go into next season with a realistic shot at a top 6 finish

Next season is going to be immensely harder on all fronts. Firstly, there has been very little expectation on us both as a team and of the management this season. Thats not going to be the case if we continue playing well and getting results. Expectation levels add a lot of pressure.

Secondly, i'm expecting at least 2, possibly 3 of our players to leave in the summer and 2 of them will be RAN and Neto, and Neto especially is going to be very difficult to replace, especially when we probably wont have heaps of money to spend.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Next season is going to be immensely harder on all fronts. Firstly, there has been very little expectation on us both as a team and of the management this season. Thats not going to be the case if we continue playing well and getting results. Expectation levels add a lot of pressure.

Secondly, i'm expecting at least 2, possibly 3 of our players to leave in the summer and 2 of them will be RAN and Neto, and Neto especially is going to be very difficult to replace, especially when we probably wont have heaps of money to spend.
Rodrigo gomes i expect will come in, and we may look at yuri alberto again

Chiquinho to come back, and noha/enso to come through

GON will look to build on chiquinho i hope and develop him as he has done others

Reaction score

I would love to see that presentation! Be absolutely fascinating insight

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Jordan made a very good point and then expanded upon it - there will come a day when Gary O'Neil will/might have earned enough credit to push for more himself. That could be having the clout to demand certain players be signed or moving to a club with greater resources.

He came here as a pauper but might leave here as a prince. I liken him a bit to Graham Potter and hope that he heeds the warning that your career can just as easily stall as it can flourish with the wrong move.

Some managers, like players, fit the right club at the right time. The ingredients at Wolves seem to be just right. I also think it's equally important that we keep hold of Hobbs if the meal we are cooking doesn't end up on the floor.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasnt Michael Beale very impressive as well with his interview?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasnt Michael Beale very impressive as well with his interview?
Yes hobbs said it was a good presentation , and beale did well prior to leaving his role in the championship, he since ****ed it up

Not done very well at sunderland compared to qpr

Back
Top Bottom