Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Chelsea verdict

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Mad that Chelsea have spend about a billion quid and still have Gallagher starting in midfield. What an absolutely dreadful footballer.
Tbh I think his dynamism really pops live. Enzo and Caicedo are nowhere near as quick and forceful around the pitch. I think that pairing helps neither player. Enzo in particular I just don't think is very good athletically.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So for the first time this season we are in the top half of the table.
We thrashed a Chelsea team that cost almost a billion.
Cunha and Neto were really outstanding.
Really proud of the team.
Really proud of the manager.
Yaayy - COYW!! :) :) :)

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love this team.

I hope we can keep it together for another season.
They're getting better and better today. Our defense still has holes, but as we start to command more possession and chances, they won't matter as much. If VVD was on our team, he'd look like **** at times too. Easy to look great when you get attacked much less.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mad that Chelsea have spend about a billion quid and still have Gallagher starting in midfield. What an absolutely dreadful footballer.

The mad thing is that Chelsea want £50m for him :oops:

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How were the front 3 set up?
Was Neto the 9? Or did he play to the right with Sarabia a false9??
Or did it end up being 442 ish?
Not sure if anyone answered you... but the basic answer is...

They were set up however the **** they wanted.

They literally have so much freedom, move across the pitch constantly. There was a 5 minute instance where the right side was attacked by Sarabia, then Cunha, then Neto. How do you defend that? One guy coming out with you technical ability that wants to slow it down. The next running straight at you willing to blow you over. And the finally the one that is going to blow past you with all the speed under the sun.

The frustration the movement across our front line is bringing is absolutely bonkers.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They literally have so much freedom, move across the pitch constantly. There was a 5 minute instance where the right side was attacked by Sarabia, then Cunha, then Neto. How do you defend that? One guy coming out with you technical ability that wants to slow it down. The next running straight at you willing to blow you over. And the finally the one that is going to blow past you with all the speed under the sun.

The frustration the movement across our front line is bringing is absolutely bonkers.
That's it. The old switcheroo.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How were the front 3 set up?
Was Neto the 9? Or did he play to the right with Sarabia a false9??
Or did it end up being 442 ish?

This is more or less what I saw. Out of possession Neto had the least defensive responsibility/was furthest forward. Then he would drift right mostly and either cross or cut in.

But once a move started who knows where Sarabia and Cunha would be...or if one of them was breaking forward. Lots and lots of fluidity....they might be in the middle, far post, trailing in the channel....they are both so much better than in August. Cunha in particular looks like he's having the time of his life.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It shows you that needlessly throwing around money doesn't always help. I'm glad Gary didn't just want anyone and turned down some options he thought wouldn't work. And I'm glad Hobbs didn't bent on his valuations to where we need to be and where he sees us.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is more or less what I saw. Out of possession Neto had the least defensive responsibility/was furthest forward. Then he would drift right mostly and either cross or cut in.

But once a move started who knows where Sarabia and Cunha would be...or if one of them was breaking forward. Lots and lots of fluidity....they might be in the middle, far post, trailing in the channel....they are both so much better than in August. Cunha in particular looks like he's having the time of his life.
And there were times when Sarabia was very deep in our end helping defending and RAN ran up to take his place on the counter - which is great because RAN is obviously the quicker of the two. Two specific instances were his goal (stupid it's an own goal) and the second Cunha goal.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And there were times when Sarabia was very deep in our end helping defending and RAN ran up to take his place on the counter - which is great because RAN is obviously the quicker of the two. Two specific instances were his goal (stupid it's an own goal) and the second Cunha goal.
The amount of defensive work sarabia is getting through just by doing the running is amazing. What a difference from how out of place he seemed in September.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched the game again and I find it easier to assess performances when the result is already known. Just a few observations, with no criticism intended for what was a great all-round team performance.
Man of the match is easy. Cunha was immense, not just for his goals, but his all-round play. But, Gomes was everywhere and to think I was in two doubts about whether he should have replaced Doyle.
Other notable performances came from Neto, a constant threat and one Chelsea couldn't handle. The back two of Dawson and Kilman formed a considerable barrier with Dawson heading everything and Kilman a great tackle and follow-up block to a Gallagher shot towards the end of the game. Semedo ( a player I criticised when he first arrived at the club) handled everything thrown at him and has developed a consistency that many thought he didn't possess.
RAN played well throughout, but perhaps at fault for Thiago Silva's header for Chelsea's second as he allowed the defender to run off him. Hugo had a decent cameo, setting Bellegarde free for a chance he should have done better with.
Toti had a difficult game for the most part, but when we came under pressure late in the game he put his body on the line. Lemina wasn't at his absolute best, but still covered most of the ground.
Sa did OK, but his distribution is poor (we all know that) and Sarabia was a bit ordinary, despite some good movement. He should have hit the target with a shot that he sliced.
Bellegarde, Doc and Doyle didn't really get immersed in the game.
We can still improve, but probably our second or third best performance of the season after Everton at home and possibly Yernited away.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just rewatched on my phone with headphones and the away support were so good. Frankly I think they intimidated the home support.

Special shoutout to the Chelsea "supporters" by the way. Team has one deflection go against them and they all promptly **** their pants. You won't see more of a transfer of nervous energy to a team.

As for the game, on rewatch you can see how the margins just went to Wolves because the team has that little extra from their mentality, and Chelsea got psyched out. It was really a close game in terms of chances for awhile, even though i felt so good about wolves from the equalizer.

I like this team. The fans like this team. Chelsea fans with their team? Honestly idk I think they're confused like everyone else.

Last edited:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even under lage I was saying the same thing, we have always had at least a mid table Premier league side.

Absolutely, our side has always been more than decent since promotion. People got hung up on the Covid season (where anything Wolves related was a real struggle and we had a severely depleted squad), then when the Portuguese Plank took over and horribly mismanaged the side for the best part of 18 months they started to take it as the norm. That we could only play attritional football, we'd never score goals, it'd always be boring unless we changed the whole team, we didn't have good players etc etc... and of course Lopetegui did a rescue job that was effective if far from pretty. O'Neil has come in and to his massive credit has let the players play. We take more risks now than we ever have in the PL, and while we don't half concede some goals we score a fair few too, and because the players aren't on such a tight leash, they look bloody good for it

Said it for years and reiterated it at the start of this season even after the firesale, this bunch of players should be nowhere near a relegation fight, should be looking at upper mid-table, and they're proving it

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mauricio Pochettino is in serious danger of being sacked after Chelsea were beaten 4-1 by Wolves in the Premier League on Sunday. (Team Talk)

They could at least get the chuffing score right!
What’s Fat Frank up to these days?

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best away performance this season, absolutely superb. Albion got off lucky last week, because if we'd have played like that last week it would have been at least 6 nil!!

I've got no voice left this morning :)

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing thats annoyed me today is the Liverpool fans and Arsenal fans at work have pointed out i shouldnt get carried away, its only Chelsea who are a bottom half team and its not like its not easy to beat them. I tried to think of a good comeback and it dawned on me that a team that has spent over a billion on players in 2 years is actually a bottom half team. Madness.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing thats annoyed me today is the Liverpool fans and Arsenal fans at work have pointed out i shouldnt get carried away, its only Chelsea who are a bottom half team and its not like its not easy to beat them. I tried to think of a good comeback and it dawned on me that a team that has spent over a billion on players in 2 years is actually a bottom half team. Madness.
It's a decent result after a net spend difference of about half a billion between us and Chelsea!

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
Huge improvement by games. I really like Cunha so better than last season. Confidence so high.

Made Chelsea look very silly

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
If you think that's bad, how about when you're chasing a game with a billion pound squad and your first throw of the dice is Nicolas Jackson!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He just runs around like a headless chicken, lost in the headlights!

If he’s worth £50million, our Gomes is priceless!

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A great win and performance. The red strip doing wonders. Cunha the Man of the Match. They look happy playing and we're happy watching them.

Is Todd Boehly taking part in some sort of secret football meets Brewster's Millions Netlfix documentary? It's mad to spend a billion and go backwards. It seems an impossible thing to do but he's managed to do it.

Reaction score

There was also a moment in the game where for a few minutes Sarabia and Neto were on the right hand side together, it looked like Sarabia had become the rwb…without looking back I wonder if that’s because Ait Nouri was regularly becoming the left forward so Toti became lwb and they all shifted along 1?

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A great win and performance. The red strip doing wonders. Cunha the Man of the Match. They look happy playing and we're happy watching them.

Is Todd Boehly taking part in some sort of secret football meets Brewster's Millions Netlfix documentary? It's mad to spend a billion and go backwards. It seems an impossible thing to do but he's managed to do it.
Brewster's Millions :D. Class.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great win and the first at the Bridge since 1979.
Don't want to take the shine off a great performance, but that's the most inept Chelsea team I've seen for a long, long time.

Mate we made them look average, you cannot take that away from the lads.

Many teams and better teams would have struggled against us yesterday.

If we had played Thursday like we did yesterday, we would have spannered United.

Gaz, did a great job to lift the lads from the disapointment of Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom