Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Away season tickets - should they continue?

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
Suspect this topic may have been discussed previously

Desperate to go to the Albion game but frustrated that probably won't be able to get a ticket as not an away season ticket holder and haven't been able to get my "own" tickets to any away games even though I enter the ballots. Have been to all the home friendlies and cup games but probably still not enough points.

What does frustrate me is that some not all away season ticket holders don't use their away tickets - they cherry pick and pass on the tickets to games they don't want to go to others - I have picked up a few away games because of this.

It seems like a closed shop - and hopefully nobody comes back saying just because your an away season ticket holder doesn't mean your a bigger wolves fan than anyone else. A considerable number of fans are being disenfranchised as can't get a ticket.

The income the club make on selling away season tickets isn't massive.

I know the club have introduced the ballot system but demand always outstrips supply - not sure whether they is a fairer way for fans to get tickets to away games

Can we have a sensible discussion rather than the usual mud slinging and acrimonious replies when a "sensitive" topic a is raised.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
How many points do you have, if by chance you have 1030 points you may have a chance.

Someone spoke to the ticket office with 1030 points.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every single season ticket holder has had the chance to build up at least 1050 points with the 2x friendlies 1x Home League Cup game and at least 3 or 4 away games where ticket availability dropped much lower.

Sorry to say but it’s just hard luck. Accept that you’ve missed out and enjoy the game on the TV.

However I do think the club needs to look at a way to stop fans buying and selling on away tickets just for the points so that the most loyal fans can earn their way up the loyalty points ladder.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here we go, the same old closed shop nonsense!!

There have been at least 3 or 4 away games that have gone down really low in points. If you went to friendlies and cup games you’d have had no difficulty getting tickets for them.

Anyone on 1050 points is guaranteed a ticket for Albion and so if you’ve been to 3 friendlies / cup games and 2 away games you’re in.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Not just ASTs though is it, people on points also buy and sell on. Always notice the southern accents at London games, northern ones up north. Don't have a solution to be honest. Yes people could go to Ipswich and Palace, that might get you into the Hawthorns, it's not getting you into Villa Park. Guess there's not time for a ballot for Albion?

WR4Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I believe the club aren't allowing any new AST holders so as current holders drop off the numbers will gradually diminish over time meaning more tickets will be sold on a points basis, although appreciate that there will still be a hardcore but many of these will have done the hard yards over many years and deserve it.

The ballot has helped to offer up some tickets and my daughter has benefited from this on a few occasions including villa & arsenal last season.

Another thing the club could consider would be to have a free membership scheme to say around 1200-1500 fans whereby you are guaranteed 6 away games per season. The games would be split into 3 groups so you got a mixture of big & small clubs. That way every away game 400-500 tickets would go to this membership scheme, meaning access to a wider group.

At present its like an 'all or nothing' scenario and it almost forces you to buy (possibly not go) to every match. This might appeal to some, by offering the chance to be guaranteed tickets for 1/3 of the games instead of going every week as it is a big commitment.

It then possibly frees up more tickets to filter down through the points brackets.

Reaction score
Why would an AST buy a ticket to sell on if they were not going to the game?

They are guaranteed a ticket.

They do not have to build up loyalty points.

I'll say it again.

Why do people find that so difficult to understand?

Now there may be occasions when they cannot make a game and either sell a ticket on or return it to the club.

Non AST fans are MUCH more likely to buy a ticket to sell on as THEY NEED THE POINTS

AST'S DO NOT NEED THE POINTS.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's very hard to go to every home and away game in a season, with work, expense, and family commitments, surprised how many can do it after they've moved away from home. Used to go to 5 or 6 away games, tbh I'd cherry pick the good away days, since Nuno came in that's been impossible without having friends with AST. Miss a good away **** up on the train with mates but just couldn't afford or get time to get an AST anyway.
No perfect way of doing it, interested to know how other clubs do it and if it's fairer.

Reaction score
Its interesting that this has come up again in light of the WBA match.

I bought my first AST back in the 1990s after queuing overnight in the North Bank for several cup matches and it was always Jan Feb March time and freezing.

I think it was £60 originally and it was well worth that to avoid queuing overnight.

There were no online sales in those days, they had telephone and 1st come first served amongst home season ticket holders.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its interesting that this has come up again in light of the WBA match.

I bought my first AST back in the 1990s after queuing overnight in the North Bank for several cup matches and it was always Jan Feb March time and freezing.

I think it was £60 originally and it was well worth that to avoid queuing overnight.

There were no online sales in those days, they had telephone and 1st come first served amongst home season ticket holders.
The first away season tickets were £120
We were issued books and every away game you handed in a voucher from the book when purchasing your ticket and you got £5 off the price of the ticket, it was 23 x 5 = £115 and a £5 admin fee, therefore £120

Reaction score
The first away season tickets were £120
We were issued books and every away game you handed in a voucher from the book when purchasing your ticket and you got £5 off the price of the ticket, it was 23 x 5 = £115 and a £5 admin fee, therefore £120

Yes you're correct, I got the price wrong, it was a long time ago!

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't be bothered going to the Luton and Rennes friendlies and a couple of unattractive cup games earlier in the season, and feel that the system is flawed because we have drawn WBA and the OP can't get a ticket. Yeah it's been discussed here plenty of times.

SuziQ

Reaction score
I'm only a member but there have been away games where I could have got a ticket without any issue if I'd been able to go (Palace, Newcastle and there's still tickets for Brighton).

It seems much less of a closed shop to me if games are going down to members.

Blackpool Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Wolves and the Premier League are sleepwalking into a big issue further down the line - the 3000 limit on a2ay tickets and the use of virtual closed shop away season ticket schem means that very few youngsters are getting the buzz that many of us got from going to Villa Park etc. Over time the away fan habit will die off - and with it something that is pretty unique to English football - big away followings.

Appreciate it is difficult to change where we are now - but make clubs give 4000 away tickets or 10% of capacity - so 7,500 for Man U (Why should they have disproportionate share of attendance when they play us ?). Also reduce away season tickets to 2000 per match - which would leave 2000 each game for ballot - giving most people 4 or 5 away games each on average.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
Why would an AST buy a ticket to sell on if they were not going to the game?

They are guaranteed a ticket.

I'll say it again.

Why do people find that so difficult to understand?

Now there may be occasions when they cannot make a game and either sell a ticket on or return it to the club.

Non AST fans are MUCH more likely to buy a ticket to sell on as THEY NEED THE POINTS

AST'S DO NOT NEED THE POINTS.
Once people find out you've got a AST you can bet the next thing they say to you is "if ever you're not going, I'll have your ticket?". So there'll be a lot of people doing favours for their mates. The previous system used to force AST's to buy most of their tickets even if they couldn't go because they had buy at least 15 of the 19 to qualify for the following season's AST, but that was scrapped a couple of years ago.

Me and my lad have had an AST for about 10 years now and paid over £1000 for the privilege in total. We go to about 12 away games a season. I can't do midweek games because of work and sometimes miss the stupid early kick off games as well because it just ruins the day. The way I see it is, everyone had the opportunity to to buy an AST at the same time I did, if you chose not to, that's fair enough. But you always knew that if we got to the Prem demand would outstrip supply. You gambled and you lost, that's life! If we were still languishing in the championship, I'd still be a £1000 out of pocket but everybody would be saying I've wasted a grand.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
No idea how many ASTs actually attend every game but anecdotally it's not all, so rather than having the current closed shop surely it would make sense to open up the away ticket opportunity to a wider group, maybe have an away club scheme where you're guaranteed the opportunity at least of say half a dozen away fixtures a season? I'd certainly sign up for that, no idea why the away ticket system has to be so inflexible especially if its being abused. I've never been a prolific away follower but always tried to get to the local games when I could and the odd trip further afield when circumstances have allowed but its virtually impossible these days.

For those that genuinely want to go to every single game, there's ways of ensuring that they don't pass on their tickets, which if enforced would also deter those who cherry pick and sell on.

As for the "you couldn't be ***** to go to the friendlies and away games in London or Newcastle on a Tuesday night" argument, a 9-5 job tends to put paid to that. And there will be myriad other family or personal circumstances that could potentially prevent it.

I fully support the argument that those who can genuinely commit to attending all games home and away and do so should get priority.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves and the Premier League are sleepwalking into a big issue further down the line - the 3000 limit on a2ay tickets and the use of virtual closed shop away season ticket schem means that very few youngsters are getting the buzz that many of us got from going to Villa Park etc. Over time the away fan habit will die off - and with it something that is pretty unique to English football - big away followings.

Appreciate it is difficult to change where we are now - but make clubs give 4000 away tickets or 10% of capacity - so 7,500 for Man U (Why should they have disproportionate share of attendance when they play us ?). Also reduce away season tickets to 2000 per match - which would leave 2000 each game for ballot - giving most people 4 or 5 away games each on average.
If you force clubs to offer more away tickets - and l'm damned sure that the police and ground licensing authorities will have a view about that - you can kiss goodbye to the £30 away ticket price cap. Clubs are not going to take an income cut.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There is a maximum of 1600 ASTs right now
1100 Gold and 500 silver

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea how many ASTs actually attend every game but anecdotally it's not all, so rather than having the current closed shop surely it would make sense to open up the away ticket opportunity to a wider group, maybe have an away club scheme where you're guaranteed the opportunity at least of say half a dozen away fixtures a season? I'd certainly sign up for that, no idea why the away ticket system has to be so inflexible especially if its being abused. I've never been a prolific away follower but always tried to get to the local games when I could and the odd trip further afield when circumstances have allowed but its virtually impossible these days.

For those that genuinely want to go to every single game, there's ways of ensuring that they don't pass on their tickets, which if enforced would also deter those who cherry pick and sell on.

As for the "you couldn't be ***** to go to the friendlies and away games in London or Newcastle on a Tuesday night" argument, a 9-5 job tends to put paid to that. And there will be myriad other family or personal circumstances that could potentially prevent it.

I fully support the argument that those who can genuinely commit to attending all games home and away and do so should get priority.

“Iv never been a prolific away follower but always tried to get to the local games when I could.”

Translates to me as - “Iv never really bothered with away games but now we’re playing West Brom I’m not happy I can’t get a ticket.”

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Suspect this topic may have been discussed previously

Desperate to go to the Albion game but frustrated that probably won't be able to get a ticket as not an away season ticket holder and haven't been able to get my "own" tickets to any away games even though I enter the ballots. Have been to all the home friendlies and cup games but probably still not enough points.

What does frustrate me is that some not all away season ticket holders don't use their away tickets - they cherry pick and pass on the tickets to games they don't want to go to others - I have picked up a few away games because of this.

It seems like a closed shop - and hopefully nobody comes back saying just because your an away season ticket holder doesn't mean your a bigger wolves fan than anyone else. A considerable number of fans are being disenfranchised as can't get a ticket.

The income the club make on selling away season tickets isn't massive.

I know the club have introduced the ballot system but demand always outstrips supply - not sure whether they is a fairer way for fans to get tickets to away games

Can we have a sensible discussion rather than the usual mud slinging and acrimonious replies when a "sensitive" topic a is raised.

Why didn't you buy one when they were readily available in the Zenga season as I did?

You're right, they are a grandfather right now for those who have paid into it when others weren't fussed.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
It has been discussed before, and the conversation pretty much goes the same way every time. I’ve not seen anyone yet come up with a really good alternative.

Some people do sell on tickets when they can’t make the game, but the percentage compared to ASTs who go to pretty much every game is really small.

We only seem to have this discussion when a game comes up with huge demand. For the WBA game the sales are potentially going down to STH with 1030 points, so if you’ve been to the home friendlies, the Blackpool cup game or even one of the sways this season that didn’t have massive demand (Palace, Ipswich, Fulham) you’re in with a chance. I’m not sure what else the club could do?

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The points are a good system, I'd ditch the AST element as to save supporters a few quid and ensure a fairer system all round.
This is always my argument, if you’re an AST who goes to every game you’ll still be first in the queue.

If you aren’t going to every away game, you’ll slot in where you’re ‘loyalty’ ranks you and that might mean you miss out on say Brentford, Bournemouth or a smaller side in the cup but the response is ASTs always go to the majority of games and it’s not about buying ‘loyalty’ so see above.

What’s more frustrating is having gone to every away game and then not being able to go to Bournemouth because someone who’s been to fewer has paid for an AST.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thread never appears when we have Newcastle or Brighton away on a Monday night....

Yes there are some flaws with the current system which some benefit from but if ya dont build your own points up, don't moan if you can't get the tickets for the games everybody wants.....

I've been guilty of passing my away ticket on this season, as I have missed a few but I would still probably have the loyalty points available to go to the Albion had it not been for my away season ticket...

Get your points in early....the last friendly and the Carling cup games are a MUST to build up your points ...

Last edited:

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why didn't you buy one when they were readily available in the Zenga season as I did?

You're right, they are a grandfather right now for those who have paid into it when others weren't fussed.
For me and my mates, going to the vast majority of away games then already took a considerable financial effort.

When they announced the silver one (and were amongst the first to be offered) we explained this to the club that when you’re spending £1,000s already, demanding another £75 really is a **** take and was a stretch too far.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here we go, the same old closed shop nonsense!!

There have been at least 3 or 4 away games that have gone down really low in points. If you went to friendlies and cup games you’d have had no difficulty getting tickets for them.

Anyone on 1050 points is guaranteed a ticket for Albion and so if you’ve been to 3 friendlies / cup games and 2 away games you’re in.
The problem with your argument there is that if it’s so easy for people to get tickets then it shouldn’t be a problem getting rid of AST!

Reaction score
Maybe we should get rid of home season tickets as well then.

They are a closed shop and people have been on the waiting list for years.

And people sell there tickets on or pass them to mates which is not fair.

We could have ballots for every home game, and maybe a special stand for people who havent been to get to a game before due to multiple commitments and want to see Man Utd at Molineux.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Iv never been a prolific away follower but always tried to get to the local games when I could.”

Translates to me as - “Iv never really bothered with away games but now we’re playing West Brom I’m not happy I can’t get a ticket.”
As well as having a multitude of excuses for not being able to get to those home friendlies and cup games early in the season..

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score
I do miss the days of being able to go on away days with a few mates, then again I also miss the days of paying on the turnstile (or the ticket office the morning of the game) or the random weekend night game.

My son's are missing out on ever going to away games, I was looking alot over the past few seasons but hadn't realised this season games had got down to members.

I didn't renew my membership this season as I only kept it last (after Vinny got rid of membership points) as I was on the waiting list for a ST. Was offered a ST beginning of this and couldn't get 3 seats anywhere near each other so figured it was a waste of time.

I'm not moaning at those that go regular to away games, that's some commitment and to be commended, just would be nice to be able to retain an element of the more casual fan about it. That's what Fulham's neutral stand was always good for.

I can't say I'm particularly bothered about the opposition either, usually location suited me better than opposition!

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem with your argument there is that if it’s so easy for people to get tickets then it shouldn’t be a problem getting rid of AST!

You could say the same of home season tickets though? Most games have made it down to general sale this year.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve no issue with the away season ticket (and I say that as someone who hasn’t got one). Ultimately those folk stump up cash, do the hard miles and go to the less glamorous games. I think it was @JadeWolf who said it, it’s a bit of a fallacy to fit an argument to think masses sell on their tickets as the very vast majority of hardcore absolutely do. As a veteran of 25 years of away games you recognise the same old faces game by game.

For me it comes down to circumstance and the real want to go to away games to build up points. I’m sat on 1050 points as I did the pointless friendlies, the league cup games including Ipswich away and both palace and Brentford. I was an away ST holder for a long time under the old system and an away ST is a labour of love, traipsing the country awful midweek games away in Bolton/blackburn having to book time off work. Then I packed it in and became more choosy and went where I wanted when I wanted and rarely had trouble getting tickets. Nuno rolled up and the landscape changed. I didn’t moan that my loyalty wasn’t rewarded because I had the same option as before to buy an AST but I didn’t want to. Is it annoying that I can’t get tickets to Liverpool away or United? Course it is but the reward goes to those stump up and fit their life round wolves not vice versa.

I’m a big cricket fan and it’s only the same with test match tickets, play West Indies etc and you can get them a week before but people moan they can’t get Aussie tickets.

Would we even be having this discussion today if we weren’t playing Albion a week Sunday? Absolutely not.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Small minority will resell tickets quite regularly however its always been a core of set of fans who go away, they'll still be going away if we got sent down to league 2 tomorrow and the bloggers, vloggers and youtubers will have disappeared.

ASTs need to stay in my opinion the fans who travel to the **** end of nowhere (Palace etc) deserve to get priority tickets for glamorous ties.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
AST’s are a thanks from the club to those who regularly attended away games when we were **** in the Championship, as that’s where most of the AST holders started. It makes no sense for an AST holder to sell on their tickets any more as they don’t need the points.

Like it or not, it is the fairest system that looks after the folks who have always been there no matter how the club is doing or how glamorous the game is.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve no issue with the away season ticket (and I say that as someone who hasn’t got one). Ultimately those folk stump up cash, do the hard miles and go to the less glamorous games. I think it was @JadeWolf who said it, it’s a bit of a fallacy to fit an argument to think masses sell on their tickets as the very vast majority of hardcore absolutely do. As a veteran of 25 years of away games you recognise the same old faces game by game.

For me it comes down to circumstance and the real want to go to away games to build up points. I’m sat on 1050 points as I did the pointless friendlies, the league cup games including Ipswich away and both palace and Brentford. I was an away ST holder for a long time under the old system and an away ST is a labour of love, traipsing the country awful midweek games away in Bolton/blackburn having to book time off work. Then I packed it in and became more choosy and went where I wanted when I wanted and rarely had trouble getting tickets. Nuno rolled up and the landscape changed. I didn’t moan that my loyalty wasn’t rewarded because I had the same option as before to buy an AST but I didn’t want to. Is it annoying that I can’t get tickets to Liverpool away or United? Course it is but the reward goes to those stump up and fit their life round wolves not vice versa.

I’m a big cricket fan and it’s only the same with test match tickets, play West Indies etc and you can get them a week before but people moan they can’t get Aussie tickets.

Would we even be having this discussion today if we weren’t playing Albion a week Sunday? Absolutely not.
People do pass tickets on...it happens same as home games ...it happens within the group I go with .. people nw the craic though, the preference always goes to who pays for the away season ticket.....I've got a mate who hasn't missed an away game in our group for 2 years, as he is always first in the queue for a spare, but rank has been pulled with Albion tickets and unfortunately he may miss out ...the poor chap is going to Brighton on Monday but at the minute may miss out against Albion...he knows he can't moan as he has the chance for plenty of games.....it's just the way it is ....is it perfect system no..

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People do pass tickets on...it happens same as home games ...it happens within the group I go with .. people nw the craic though, the preference always goes to who pays for the away season ticket.....I've got a mate who hasn't missed an away game in our group for 2 years but rank has been pulled with Albion tickets and unfortunately he may miss out .....he knows he can't moan as he has the chance for plenty of games.....it's just the way it is ....is it perfect nw....
I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, of course it does. Just that it’s nowhere near as prevalent as folk make out. There aren’t masses of people buying them so they can attend the 6 games they want and flogging the rest. I’ve used a pals for a few in the past purely because he can’t/wont do midweek games.

As I say I’ve been full circle, I’ve had an away ST for years, then had years of going when it suited me and having no problems with tickets to now struggling but still getting tickets when I can. End of the day for me wolves is my leisure pursuit not my life so I make it fit accordingly. Mid 20s did it bother me going away to Rotherham and turning up to work half dead and hungover the next morning? Not at all. Do I particularly want to go to Everton on a Thursday night now, book time off work etc? Not at all.

Although I’m saying all this because I’m fairly safe in the knowledge that on 1050 points I’m getting a ticket for the poorthornes, my attitude might be different if not lol

Back
Top Bottom