Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Chelsea Verdict

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
thing is what do Fosun want ? Treading water you mainly decline look at Leicester and they win the league. Or invest and progress .
Leicester held on to want-away players for too long. That talent getting relegated was ridiculous.

8-12 is the sweet spot in the Prem. This squad is way too small to play European fixtures midweek.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think we deserved to win if you analyse the game properly, but that's not a criticism, they've got so many talented players going forward.

What Sterling did was unforgivable from their perspective, and if it goes 0-1 it's a different game entirely.

But, what can you ask from us? We're not as talented as them individually, so we have to fight, battle, and do all we can - which we did. As a fan, that's all you want, so I'm absolutely delighted.

I thought Joao Gomes in the last 30-40 minutes was incredible. Lemina in the first half was equally as good, and deserves MOTM for the goal.

I've criticised Semedo previously, but he warrants plenty of praise today, an excellent performance.

It's easy to join in taking the **** out of Chelsea, but I really don't think they're far from being very, very good, so that is some win IMO.
Amen

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A very weird moment in the first half.

We played it, just once, through the middle. I think it was a Toti pass. It caught them massively by surprise in addition to me and everyone else in the ground I think. Chelsea and us all pre programmed to expect it down the flanks.
I think having the ability to attack through the flanks or the middle would be a real game changer for us. I think Nunes was supposed to be the player who could open up the opposition through the middle but it never really happened. Maybe Doyle will grow into that role but we could really do with someone for the here and now.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Down in Devon at my daughters and watched some of the first half in a pub in Sidmouth on her phone. Could hardly see anything on the screen after having recent cataract surgery on both eyes, so switched it off just before half time. Did see Sterling miss that easy chance, though!

Left the pub and thought I’d be happy with a point. Got back to daughter’s house and watched last 20 minutes on a 55’’ TV. Chuffed to bits we were 1-0 up, but a bundle of nerves seeing Chelsea have so much possession. Got back just in time to see Chelsea joke defending when Channy was completely on his own on the halfway line from a Chelsea corner, whilst all their outfield players were in our penalty area. Never, ever seen anything like that and Sa should have thrown the ball to him instead of kicking it. Nerves settled when Doc scored and thought that was it, but their goal brought the nerves back.

Considering our injuries, illnesses and our subs bench, I take my hat off to GO, who deserves loads of credit. So does Lemina, who looked immense and mentioned how ill his father has been in his post match interview. He played his ******** off today and obviously loves playing for our great club.

Jonzy, the lads did you proud.

Merry Christmas Mixers.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're right, we're back to Mick's days. People on here are forgetting how average the display was because we somehow got the result. We need Neto back urgently to get some sparkle in our play. Still a wins a win!
Nah mate, that's balls. There's far more talent in this squad than in Mick's. We were missing several key players.

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great result. Made my Christmas!
Dodgy first 15 minutes but once GON did a bit of a shuffle I thought we were better for the rest of the first half and started the second half well, deservedly going ahead.
Bit more composure when we got around their goal and it would have been a more comfortable win. Hwang ran his socks off but made some bad decisions and goes to ground to easy for me. Funniest moment was watching the amount of rolls Sterling put in following the knock on his shin from Nelson.
Lemina and Gomes were outstanding, particularly the latter in the second half. COYW!!!!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Down in Devon at my daughters and watched some of the first half in a pub in Sidmouth on her phone. Could hardly see anything on the screen after having recent cataract surgery on both eyes, so switched it off just before half time. Did see Sterling miss that easy chance, though!

Left the pub and thought I’d be happy with a point. Got back to daughter’s house and watched last 20 minutes on a 55’’ TV. Chuffed to bits we were 1-0 up, but a bundle of nerves seeing Chelsea have so much possession. Got back just in time to see Chelsea joke defending when Channy was completely on his own on the halfway line from a Chelsea corner, whilst all their outfield players were in our penalty area. Never, ever seen anything like that and Sa should have thrown the ball to him instead of kicking it. Nerves settled when Doc scored and thought that was it, but their goal brought the nerves back.

Considering our injuries, illnesses and our subs bench, I take my hat off to GO, who deserves loads of credit. So does Lemina, who looked immense and mentioned how ill his father has been in his post match interview. He played his ******** off today and obviously loves playing for our great club.

Merry Christmas Mixers.
Hope you recover well, Sir. Completely agree.
Nah mate, that's balls. There's far more talent in this squad than in Mick's. We were missing several key players.
Absolutely. We were functional under Mick through necessity these are different beasts.
mario was immense to day . get well soon to dad
View attachment 39248
what a a player indeed, and what a ****ing beast
Sterling was going to ground on every contact, but the 4 time roll over was up there with the funniest things ever!

We know what you are, we can’t say it will also live long in the memory
When I heard that chant, I smiled. The SB has taken abuse galore from me, but when it is being witty like that, it's at it's best.

On a related note, Sterling and Rashford, two gems fallen off a cliff

Lawndog

Reaction score
Sarabia is one of those players that’s never going to dominate a game or be at the heart of everything like a Lemina, but when he does get the ball in a good area he’s going to produce quality more often than not. As long as you accept that you will start to see that he’s a very good footballer indeed.
A modern-day Paul Cook......??

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was a reference to putting in a shift - which imv is what we did today. Exactly that. Not a great deal of talent on display from either side, Lemina the pick of the bunch. Only missing Neto! If we can build for next season I think only perhaps Dawson, RAN, Gomes, Lemina, Cunha and Neto should make next season's side. Move on Sa, Siva, Sasa and Kilman and get a striker as no 1 priority. Have a great Xmas.

IOMWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
That was a reference to putting in a shift - which imv is what we did today. Exactly that. Not a great deal of talent on display from either side, Lemina the pick of the bunch. Only missing Neto! If we can build for next season I think only perhaps Dawson, RAN, Gomes, Lemina, Cunha and Neto should make next season's side. Move on Sa, Siva, Sasa and Kilman and get a striker as no 1 priority. Have a great Xmas.
Who's Siva?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seeing a lot of hard work, putting a shift in,battling etc posts, but we are much better than that
Yes its part of how we have to play ,and why certain players were bought, but we play some very decent football too
As people say we need a striker and a couple more quality players as we are very light in certain places, but realistically we are probably 5 wins from safety at the half way point in the season and not many would have said that at the start of the season would they?

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sarabia is one of those players that’s never going to dominate a game or be at the heart of everything like a Lemina, but when he does get the ball in a good area he’s going to produce quality more often than not. As long as you accept that you will start to see that he’s a very good footballer indeed.
Exactly. And on top of that, we're a mid table team. He's quite honestly used to better quality where he would have possession more often.

He's not without faults, but most players so come to Wolves will have faults.

He's not fast and he's not strong. So that hurts him straight away. He's obviously better with possession and with players moving. If our players stand still and don't move, he's going to have a hard time producing.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Well I don't really know what to make of it all. I mean have no doubts, it was bloody brilliant, so good to get 3 points on the the board after a weekend when there was just the slightest return to looking nervously downwards. We really should have been buried by half time by our repeated attempts to commit suicide. Somehow we survived though and second half we were far better. Showed them less respect, actually commited to a press and always looked dangerous off corners. So pleased for Lemina, who reads it all so well and João Gomes, who was everywhere, even if he was chasing shadows in the first half. Also for Semedo, who put in a great shift again and was nearly always positive when getting forward for once. So quality a bit variable, but effort and commitment top notch.

Last edited:

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think Dawson needs a rest, he’s been dodgy last 2 games, probably carrying an injury but why not just play Bueno?
Sarabia creates chances but taking him off was the right decision because he loses possession as he isn’t the strongest.
Semedo still terrible at crossing.

optimuswolf

Reaction score
Delighted Lemina superb Gomes superb and Semedo I do criticise him but I’ll always acknowledge his good games too was fantastic today. Great Xmas present it sure beats pants & socks tomorrow.
I've been doubtful of gomes' ability to be a good Premier league player. But that performance has me on notice. Lemina was excellent but i thought gomes was the best midfielder on the park today.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seeing a lot of hard work, putting a shift in,battling etc posts, but we are much better than that
Yes its part of how we have to play ,and why certain players were bought, but we play some very decent football too
As people say we need a striker and a couple more quality players as we are very light in certain places, but realistically we are probably 5 wins from safety at the half way point in the season and not many would have said that at the start of the season would they?
Both your main points are valid - we need to put in a shift (imv we don't have the quality to do otherwise) AND we are in a far better position at the end of 2023 than we all thought we'd be in. For me getting Neto back in will possibly lift us to another level esp if we can get that elusive striker in in Jan. I think Guo being there today may help things, though not too sure how much he understands about the finer points of football? He may think we won so what's all the fuss about?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Dawson needs a rest, he’s been dodgy last 2 games, probably carrying an injury but why not just play Bueno?
Sarabia creates chances but taking him off was the right decision because he loses possession as he isn’t the strongest.
Semedo still terrible at crossing.
Sarabia for me is a bit like Dendonker - not too sure what he does or his value to the side. Lightweight and goes missing. Don't see him being a part of next season tbh.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please no! If you took the 4 stands away you could have been watching a game in West Park! Little skill from either side, basic mistakes all over the park, kick and run. We were poor I thought, Chelsea were worse, after they decided early on not to score against us till the end!
And a very Merry Christmas to you :rolleyes:

Aylesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please no! If you took the 4 stands away you could have been watching a game in West Park! Little skill from either side, basic mistakes all over the park, kick and run. We were poor I thought, Chelsea were worse, after they decided early on not to score against us till the end!
Do you EVER have anything positive to say?

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I shouted across the bar after the final whistle..."After a result like that, who needs a Christmas ****...""I do""..I heard... ..HoHo you don't" ....I escaped thankfully.....

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Don't understand the "lucky" comments we deserved to win. The lads gave everything today you can't ask for more than that.

Merry Xmas everyone.
Chelsea weren't great and elwe were better.

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Merry Christmas Mixers.
Big screens in Sidmouth Scally?? Good to hear, great result.

Howler

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Chelsea, the definition of a team of mercenaries.

Chelsea are one of the meekest teams to ever play at this level, it was disappointing we allowed them so much possession in that opening 25 mins - the only way we were going to lose this game is if we failed to impose ourselves on them. The constant mistakes both teams made at the back was calamitous, both would have been punished by quality or in form opposition.

The 3 points get us closer to the only goal this season - survival, Hobbs and GON are doing an above average job with the (lack of) resources at hand.

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great result, happy Christmas all you lovely people. I am quietly pleased our English manager is doing OK.

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great result. Made my Christmas!
Dodgy first 15 minutes but once GON did a bit of a shuffle I thought we were better for the rest of the first half and started the second half well, deservedly going ahead.
Bit more composure when we got around their goal and it would have been a more comfortable win. Hwang ran his socks off but made some bad decisions and goes to ground to easy for me. Funniest moment was watching the amount of rolls Sterling put in following the knock on his shin from Nelson.
Lemina and Gomes were outstanding, particularly the latter in the second half. COYW!!!!
Nicely summarised Salty....No negativity and we will push on I'm sure.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're right, we're back to Mick's days. People on here are forgetting how average the display was because we somehow got the result. We need Neto back urgently to get some sparkle in our play. Still a wins a win!
We rode our luck early on, no doubt but we were the better team second half.

This current squad is certainly a bit short on quality compared to recent years but is still a level above all of the squads we had under Mick.

Back
Top Bottom