Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Gary O’Neil humble pie safe space thread

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL had a managers air and persona but now I wonder how much was bluster. The football under him wasn't much better than under Lage.
I wouldn't read too much into it. GON has a clean slate with a long season ahead to implement his ideals; JL had no such luxury. It was a batten-down-the-hatches deconstruction job from the moment he came in, and it needed to be. Get the players reacquainted with the feeling of being competitive in matches first. Home games especially were targeted for winning from the odd goal in one.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said better than Lopetegui.

That still isn't good. It's doing better than literally the worst manager in Real Madrids history. He seems to have dined out on that honour somewhat.
You seem to thing Lopetegui is a top top manager. I don't. He's okay, but been fortunate to get the jobs he has had based on being "the next big thing" in management and never quite justified that tag.

It's not like Dick Emery over at Villa who has had to prove himself everywhere time and time again, improving teams, even his time at Arsenal can't be seen as a failure really when you take into account.
The jury is still massively out on Lopetegui's ability at the top level, and I don't think his spell at Wolves really showed anything either way. There is a lot riding on his next job, it could very well be his last.
Great post.
JL started about a month before the WCup and at season end, ( about 6 months), our playing style and scoring chances didn’t improve much more that under Lage.
I didn’t see any indictation of a great world class coach……none at all. Scoring chances?….hardly any.

I know we stayed up but a lot thanks for our survival must go to Dawson and Podence and not just JL

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great post.
JL started about a month before the WCup and at season end, ( about 6 months), our playing style and scoring chances didn’t improve much more that under Lage.
I didn’t see any indictation of a great world class coach……none at all. Scoring chances?….hardly any.

I know we stayed up but a lot thanks for our survival must go to Dawson and Podence and not just JL
There was a big January spend as well.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know why some people just refuse to accept that he was persuaded to come with lies and left because he found he'd been lied to, and then lied to again.

He didn't leave because the players were rubbish, he left because he thought they weren't good enough to challenge for top 6.

If he was only in it for the money he'd be managing in Saudi now.

I'm done though - team Gary for me now.
It’s business and things change, you adapt and rise to the challenge or you walk away.

I think a better manager does the former but respect JLs decision to do the latter.

I was a big JL fan.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree on the last paragraph. I know an ex wolves player well from the Hoddle era. Said he was buzzing to work with such an iconic player/manager and after about 2 weeks he couldn’t stand him.

Get the impression that GON due to his age is still a bit of “one of the lads” the way he actively gets involved in training etc and he comes over as a real humble guy and that goes a long way with lots of players.
If Hoddle were chocolate he’d eat himself, he used to like to show the players that he was better than them in training.

I’ve heard GON say several times he wasn’t as good a player as our lot, but means he places more emphasis on others aspects such as hard work, organisation, attitude etc.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Emery is certainly doing very well for them at the moment.

Where does Emery sit in relation to Nuno? Back to back 7th place finishes for Nuno. Can Emery match or beat that?

Villa are going through a purple patch at the moment. A Villa supporting friend of mine thinks they are destined to qualify for the Champions League this season. I can't see it.

We had a similar purple patch in the middle of the 19/20 season, Nuno's second 7th place finish season. Based on games 15 to 30, we were 4th in the table. We were 6th going into the final day.

It's very easy to get carried away when everything is going smoothly. Villa remind me a lot of Nuno's Wolves at the moment, where they are a better sum of their individual parts. We know from experience that one key injury can see the wheels come off pretty quickly.

I think it is possible for them to finish in the top 4 or 5, but it will mostly be dependent on others around them. They will be very lucky to go the whole season without a key injury.
They’ve had some big injuries Mings and someone else, but have a big squad.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
It’s business and things change, you adapt and rise to the challenge or you walk away.

I think a better manager does the former but respect JLs decision to do the latter.

I was a big JL fan.
This 100 percent

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So what if he gets it, since Ferguson they’ve had a lot of managers and some very average ones at that.
I don’t think they’ve had average managers (barring Moyes and OGS), more that the absolute mess they have been in since SAF retired has made some elite level managers look exceptionally ordinary. It’s strange how what looked like run a well run club on and off the field has fallen apart since their leader went. They’re a million miles off it now and it doesn’t look like altering anytime soon.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think they’ve had average managers (barring Moyes and OGS), more that the absolute mess they have been in since SAF retired has made some elite level managers look exceptionally ordinary. It’s strange how what looked like run a well run club on and off the field has fallen apart since their leader went. They’re a million miles off it now and it doesn’t look like altering anytime soon.
Those were the two that immediately sprung to mind.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

I was a big JL fan.
Well yes, but on that basis I can only think of two possible things that I think can have changed to be able to say that the goalposts moved, rather than he was actually lied to.

Either we intended to break FFP guidelines and take whatever punishment the PL might get round to in a few years, but realised they were actually taking it seriously and we'd better not do that. That looks like incompetence.

Or Fosun (or the CCP) decided that they had invested as much as they could in Wolves and we were going to have to start breaking even. Which is fair enough, but nobody ever admitted it to us, indeed we were very much given the impression we were spending as much as we were allowed.

So either way there is a lack of honesty about the situation.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those were the two that immediately sprung to mind.
I think Moyes is decent, done a good job over the years at the majority of clubs. United was a massive mistake (but he couldn’t turn it down). Replacing arguably the greatest club manager was a job too far especially as it was a squad that had had the last bits rung out of it and the noisy neighbours spending heavily. Fergie was brilliant at timing and he timed his exit perfectly as I’m sure he could see what the City future was.

As for OGS, just a ridiculous sentimental appointment. He couldn’t have been more out of his depth if he’d tried.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I was a big JL fan.
I don't knock Lop for walking away either, he was undoubtedly promised big backing from Shi in order to take the job with the position we were in. He was backed with a few key signings in January and did his job of (comfortably) keeping us up, but was then told he had to make an almost £100million profit on transfers in the Summer.

I don't blame him for the decision he made, the goalposts were clearly moved. Our ownership have proven to be rather amateurish and naive post-Nuno, let's be honest.

Saying all that, GON is doing a decent job considering the limited resources and constraints placed upon him.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't knock Lop for walking away either, he was undoubtedly promised big backing from Shi in order to take the job with the position we were in. He was backed with a few key signings in January and did his job of (comfortably) keeping us up, but was then told he had to make an almost £100million profit on transfers in the Summer.

I don't blame him for the decision he made, the goalposts were clearly moved. Our ownership have proven to be rather amateurish and naive post-Nuno, let's be honest.

Saying all that, GON is doing a decent job considering the limited resources and constraints placed upon him.
I don't blame the club though either, landscapes, priorities and challenges change, a really good manager stays and proves that he's good.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Personally think GON is doing much more than a decent job. Had it not been for the numerous VAR debacles we’d be round the Europa spots that JL quit for because he didn’t think we could get there.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't blame the club though either, landscapes, priorities and challenges change, a really good manager stays and proves that he's good.
Couldn’t agree more. I think he spat his dummy really rather than stay and fight to show how good he really is, if a “PE teacher” can get us in 12th (should be 7-8 without Var nonsense) then what could the “elite” coach have achieved.

I always wanted JL and I rate him but he gets no respect from me now. He showed his true feelings for the club, the fans and his players with his interview with his buddy sat there in a club tracksuit. Nuno wouldn’t have done that, GON wouldn’t do that as they have some class and humility.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really like Hwang I was one of the few who defended him on here when the resident experts were saying he wasn’t even championship level but he frustrates the hell out of me with his pathetic diving
I've also defended him on a regular basis, quoting his scoring stats which were always decent-ish, especially given he was sometimes picked in a position that didn't play to his strengths.

However, I can live with (though still hate) the diving and rolling around simply because (a) all other clubs have their exponents of this 'art', and (b) if you don't do this, you lose out - the best recent example being Kilman and vicious Vinicius.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally think GON is doing much more than a decent job. Had it not been for the numerous VAR debacles we’d be round the Europa spots that JL quit for because he didn’t think we could get there.
Think you're always going to get the odd decision go against you.....so an extra 7pts in an ideal world, perhaps 4 to 5 if we're being more realistic. I say decent because our away form still hasn't been good, and we've only played 2 out of the top 10 away so there's much tougher games to come. Obviously we've done fairly well at home so far, as we did under Lop.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Moyes is decent, done a good job over the years at the majority of clubs. United was a massive mistake (but he couldn’t turn it down). Replacing arguably the greatest club manager was a job too far especially as it was a squad that had had the last bits rung out of it and the noisy neighbours spending heavily. Fergie was brilliant at timing and he timed his exit perfectly as I’m sure he could see what the City future was.

As for OGS, just a ridiculous sentimental appointment. He couldn’t have been more out of his depth if he’d tried.
The one appointment worse than OGS would have been Giggs.

lycophilos

Reaction score
Don't know why some people just refuse to accept that he was persuaded to come with lies and left because he found he'd been lied to, and then lied to again.

He didn't leave because the players were rubbish, he left because he thought they weren't good enough to challenge for top 6.

If he was only in it for the money he'd be managing in Saudi now.

I'm done though - team Gary for me now.
There are a number of different stories about what exactly happened around Lopetegui's coming, staying, and leaving the club. As I don't have inside knowledge about the club, Lopetegui's mind, FOSUN's intentions , Jeff's part in all this etc.etc., I can only go by what I read in the news. And that could mostly fit any of the different scenarios put forward, and more besides.

So yes, I refuse to accept any of the stories put forward by you or anyone else on this forum as gospel, as I don't know which of the various posters on this forum actually knows more than me. So whether Lopetegui is a villain or a hero in all this is something I suspect neither you or I or most on this forum really knows - I suspect that the true story is somewhere in the middle, but nearer one end.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think you're always going to get the odd decision go against you.....so an extra 7pts in an ideal world, perhaps 4 to 5 if we're being more realistic. I say decent because our away form still hasn't been good, and we've only played 2 out of the top 10 away so there's much tougher games to come. Obviously we've done fairly well at home so far, as we did under Lop.

That surely means we have 8 out of 10 at home, which is surprising and good news for picking up a solid points total.

Our season expectations were and should be survival after the last minute mess and change of heart Fosun left us in.

O'neil will comfortable achieve that.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well GoN said on Monday that his remit was to make a massive profit in the Summer (the club) and stay up. I cannot imagine Emery would stay at Villa if NSWE told him that was their ambition.
Indeed. GON is and was the perfect appointment for FOSUN's new era of austerity, evidenced by him saying in the week that he's always happy to work with whatever squad the club give him. He certainly won't be pushing for money to be spent, that's for sure.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had it not been for the numerous VAR debacles we’d be round the Europa spots that JL quit for because he didn’t think we could get there.
Ugh. Without counting every single poor refereeing call against every side that may have factored into their results, you cannot just blithely assert we'd be chasing Europe; the table would look totally different for all our rivals too. It's a one-dimensional idea with no critical thought behind it, that continues to be promulgated by the credulous.

You might as well shake a magic 8 ball and ask it where Wolves would be instead. The only inarguable thing you could say is we probably would have gained more ground on the sides above us, had the referees been better at their jobs. How much more? No one can know that.

lycophilos

Reaction score
Well GoN said on Monday that his remit was to make a massive profit in the Summer (the club) and stay up. I cannot imagine Emery would stay at Villa if NSWE told him that was their ambition.
The poster I was replying to clearly believed that Lopetegui's version of events was the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth - i.e. that he had been lied to several times, that it had all been the fault of the board, and that he was behaving entirely honourably.

I have yet to see proof that that was the case.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
There are a number of different stories about what exactly happened around Lopetegui's coming, staying, and leaving the club. As I don't have inside knowledge about the club, Lopetegui's mind, FOSUN's intentions , Jeff's part in all this etc.etc., I can only go by what I read in the news. And that could mostly fit any of the different scenarios put forward, and more besides.

So yes, I refuse to accept any of the stories put forward by you or anyone else on this forum as gospel, as I don't know which of the various posters on this forum actually knows more than me. So whether Lopetegui is a villain or a hero in all this is something I suspect neither you or I or most on this forum really knows - I suspect that the true story is somewhere in the middle, but nearer one end.
I applaud your refusal to accept what anyone says as gospel, but I wasn't claiming to know anything beyond what has been put in the public domain, mostly by Hobbs. If there are other possible scenarios to the two I suggested, please feel free to put them forward. The thing is (as with the debate I was having the other day over Nunes), unsurprisingly most people judge these things from the perspective of a Wolves fan. None of us would have behaved like Lopetegui, we'd have said fair enough, the goalposts keep moving but I'll do my best. It's not reasonable to expect someone else to do that. There is also a lot of gilted boyfriend 'never fancied her anyway' rewriting of history, how many people were calling for him to be sacked in May?

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ugh. Without counting every single poor refereeing call against every side that may have factored into their results, you cannot just blithely assert we'd be chasing Europe; the table would look totally different for all our rivals too. It's a one-dimensional idea with no critical thought behind it, that continues to be promulgated by the credulous.

You might as well shake a magic 8 ball and ask it where Wolves would be instead. The only inarguable thing you could say is we probably would have gained more ground on the sides above us, had the referees been better at their jobs. How much more? No one can know that.
Even neutrals agree that we have had a stupidly disproportionate number of bad calls against us. I agree, we can't know for certain where we would be in the table without that. But looking at the table as it is, the likelihood is that we'd be at least closer towards the European places. This from an inexperienced manager who came in with no pre season preparation. Yet Lopetegui, an alleged elite manager, didn't fancy trying.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've a Masters Degree in General Education and continue to do research on teaching and education and its striking how well GON seems to master 3 essential skills most succesful teachers of adults and young adults master well. And while being a coach or a manager is obviously different, there's certainly overlaps.

The 3 areas are:
- Well prepared and knowledgeable (You'll soon stop listen if not)
- Likeabilily (Believe it or not but *Would I've a pint with this person" actually has an impact on how willing we are to listen and learn from someone)
- Care for his audience (Meaning the ability to make them feel liked, or at appreciated Also means the ability to fit the message to the particular audience )

He also seems to be very good on relational leadership, and that's something I think is extremely important in this time and age. Funnily enough Ten Haag seems to get that all wrong.

Doesn't mean you've to be soft and allow lack of discipline. But it's about leading much more through trust and mutual respect, not fear.

But having said all that, while his relationship skills are good, it seems to me that his preparation and knowledge has really impressed the players

Great post.

These things can sometimes get lost in translation a little too. I think it's also much easier to establish these opinions with English managers, as every interview they give is in their first language, with clear vocabulary etc, and we learn from an early age how to measure someone not only by how they look, but from how they sound.

For example, from hearing Gary O'Neil speak, he sounds intelligent, thoughtful and measured. He has a London accent, not particularly strong or regional. From how he sounds and speaks, it's very easy to make the jump to him being knowledgeable and likeable.

If we hear Chris Wilder speak, you can tell he's a no-nonsense Yorkshire man, who wouldn't take fools likely. A working-man's hero, again likeable.

Eddie Howe comes across as calm, measured and thorough. Nothing offensive at all.

Sean Dyche's gravelly tones suggest he's another no nonsense character, who you wouldn't want to cross. You'd better like him, or he'll hurt you.

Roy Hodgson sounds like a wise, old, wizard of a man, who would impart a lot of knowledge. Like a very good grandad, very likeable.

On the flipside of that, you have other English managers who you can draw negatives from how they speak.

Hoddle sounded as though he would be the most uninspiring manager ever.

Lampard sounds like he'd struggle to maybe express his ideas coherently. He doesn't have a magic wand after all.

Then the likes of Harry Redknapp or Sam Allardyce sound more like they should be selling you a second hand car or van.

It's very difficult with some foreign managers to establish the same level of characteristics.

Nuno and Lopetegui both had a certain gravitas about them. But I have no idea from how they spoke how that would translate into the English stereotypes we have based on the style of language used?

For example, Lopetegui might have the Spanish equivalent of a really strong Scouse accent. Which might change the way he would come across.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even neutrals agree that we have had a stupidly disproportionate number of bad calls against us. I agree, we can't know for certain where we would be in the table without that. But looking at the table as it is, the likelihood is that we'd be at least closer towards the European places. This from an inexperienced manager who came in with no pre season preparation. Yet Lopetegui, an alleged elite manager, didn't fancy trying.
I agree we've been disproportionately affected to the point I believe the agents of PIGMOL have it in for us, hence I agree we'd likely have more points and the gap to 7th would be fewer than 8. But unless we can confidently say that Fulham, Brentford, Chelsea, West Ham, Brighton and Newcastle have not suffered dodgy decisions that perhaps cost them points, or indeed the sides near-below us like Palace and Bournemouth, then it as useful as a thought experiment as debating the existence of unicorns.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
Arsenal after Arsene Wengers exit were pretty much in the same situation, a expensive but rudderless ship.
Probably because both Wenger and Ferguson were practically running the show for an awful lot of years, and when they left no-one could pick the reigns, and things went pearshaped.
How many years has it taken Arteta to get his house in order, taking into account their previous managers failures?

ManU needs to find the correct manager, (whoever that is...), who can ship out the expensive deadwood and rebuild the squad like Arteta has done.
It will take years, and if their current owners continue in the same vein, it will hopefully continue to be a joyous period for the onlookers....

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Arsenal after Arsene Wengers exit were pretty much in the same situation, a expensive but rudderless ship.
Probably because both Wenger and Ferguson were practically running the show for an awful lot of years, and when they left no-one could pick the reigns, and things went pearshaped.
How many years has it taken Arteta to get his house in order, taking into account their previous managers failures?

ManU needs to find the correct manager, (whoever that is...), who can ship out the expensive deadwood and rebuild the squad like Arteta has done.
It will take years, and if their current owners continue in the same vein, it will hopefully continue to be a joyous period for the onlookers....
United were decent but not great before Ferguson, that's what their fans always forget. With a fan base feeling entitled to constant success, and Ferguson hanging around in the background casting a shadow over any successor, it's all a recipe for exactly what we've seen since. Shame.

lycophilos

Reaction score
I applaud your refusal to accept what anyone says as gospel, but I wasn't claiming to know anything beyond what has been put in the public domain, mostly by Hobbs. If there are other possible scenarios to the two I suggested, please feel free to put them forward. The thing is (as with the debate I was having the other day over Nunes), unsurprisingly most people judge these things from the perspective of a Wolves fan. None of us would have behaved like Lopetegui, we'd have said fair enough, the goalposts keep moving but I'll do my best. It's not reasonable to expect someone else to do that. There is also a lot of gilted boyfriend 'never fancied her anyway' rewriting of history, how many people were calling for him to be sacked in May?
I don't really want to add to the largely unfounded speculation, masquerading as "fact", posted in these forum threads concerning Lopetegui and his relationship with Wolves, and I haven't had time to look back on your two possible scenarios, although I assume that one must have accepted Lopetegui's version of events as entirely accurate. However as you have invited me to put forward my own speculation, here goes. FOSUN had been rather dodgy in their relationship to FFP. This also was the case with a great many other clubs in the EPL, and indeed further down the "pyramid". Some time last year however, it became apparent to Wolves that flouting FFP could have serious consequences - perhaps the FA or some other body had sent the relevant clubs a warning on this, a warning which had teeth - see Everton. Hence the "fire sale" in the summer. The situation was so different, that Lopetegui decided to leave. As you say, this was quite understandable, and no one should blame him for doing so. However to do so at such short notice, just before the start of a new season - that's a different matter. As is circulating widely a version of events which has himself as a blameless shining hero.
As I said, the above is speculation, although I believe not entirely unfounded speculation, given the context of what has happened at Wolves over the last few seasons, and, as some posters have pointed out, some features of Lopetegui's behaviour during his career as manager/head coach.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good points. But I think Arsenal owners and fans accepted the years in the doldrums, although of course they didn't like them, in the knowledge that better times lay ahead. I'm not sure Man U fans and especially their owners (whoever they may be), expect to have more years failing to qualify for Europe and finishing mid-table until the new Messiah arrives and jettisons the 'dead wood'.

Back
Top Bottom