Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Pedro Neto

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he goes in January then we had better have enough points on the board as without him we are well and truly buggered!

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The rumblings in Highbury are that they will be back in come January. As you say l hope not.
I guess living where you do WW, you pick up all the local football gossip.

Despite Saturday, I still expect us to be in a bit of a survival scrap come the new year.
Question is, if Arsenal were to dangle a fair size cheque in front of the club's owners, would they bank the money or put up a "not for sale" notice and send them packing?

WolvesAndCows

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess living where you do WW, you pick up all the local football gossip.

Despite Saturday, I still expect us to be in a bit of a survival scrap come the new year.
Question is, if Arsenal were to dangle a fair size cheque in front of the club's owners, would they bank the money or put up a "not for sale" notice and send them packing?
I suppose wolfslair answers your question on this thread.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think we tend to over value our players, all supporters do. If anyone offers 45-50m in January he will be sold unfortunately.

fleck1

Reaction score
I don't expect it to be January, but if he stays fit and continues with the form next summer everybody will want him. Of all the players under Fosun that have come in a fit and firing Pedro for me is the best of the lot and going to the very top. We are a stepping stone no matter what any of us think and the big boys are lightyears ahead, we missed that boat bobbing around in the championship when the money really took off and now its almost impossible to make up ground. Even with a rich Arab they put that many obstacles in the way to not upset the sky 6. We have to accept the likes of Jota, Neves and Neto are here to try and catch the eye and I don't think any of us begrudge them the big move, especially when they come in and embrace the club, the fans and the city. Its the ones like Nunes you want to see fall flat on their face.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't expect it to be January, but if he stays fit and continues with the form next summer everybody will want him. Of all the players under Fosun that have come in a fit and firing Pedro for me is the best of the lot and going to the very top. We are a stepping stone no matter what any of us think and the big boys are lightyears ahead, we missed that boat bobbing around in the championship when the money really took off and now its almost impossible to make up ground. Even with a rich Arab they put that many obstacles in the way to not upset the sky 6. We have to accept the likes of Jota, Neves and Neto are here to try and catch the eye and I don't think any of us begrudge them the big move, especially when they come in and embrace the club, the fans and the city. Its the ones like Nunes you want to see fall flat on their face.
Yep, would be great just to get at least a full season of peak Neto before the big boys come in. The crucial thing is we have the next raw Jota/Neto calibre player lined up for that eventuality.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto 2027

New deal with an £85m release clause for Champions League teams, active from next summer.

Then just refer them back to the release clause when they come calling.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we tend to over value our players, all supporters do. If anyone offers 45-50m in January he will be sold unfortunately.
It depends who comes in for him but I would think we get more than that for him.

I can't see Neto downing tools to force a move either.

fleck1

Reaction score
Yep, would be great just to get at least a full season of peak Neto before the big boys come in. The crucial thing is we have the next raw Jota/Neto calibre player lined up for that eventuality.
100% and giving them that pathway to showcase their skills, then understanding their need to make the next step encourages the next Neto or Jota to come. We are looking at a different ball park to any other player that has departed fee wise, a young, pacey attacker, who can beat a man, score and assist with a number of clubs lining up for his signature. Neves was strangely never really in demand and didn't seem to be as highly rated outside of Wolverhampton, but I can see a summer bidding war for Pedro if his fitness and form hold up.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It depends who comes in for him but I would think we get more than that for him.

I can't see Neto downing tools to force a move either.
Yeah maybe, the good thing from a value pov is his position, attacking players always cost more than any other position.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think that's why players like Gonzalez are being brought in. £5m, 18, very raw.

As a left footed, direct wide player, Gonzalez is probably Neto's long-term successor.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
he's got a very special set of skills
That's a very good point, would his pace and close control be useful to a team such as City who have loads of possession and are usually camped on the edge of opposition boxes with no space?

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he stays fit i think he'll finally get his Arsenal move after it breaking down twice previously - once due to us holding out for more money and once due to injury, if I remember correctly.

He'd fit in well there, definitely better than Trossard for me so would say he's up to competing in that squad.

He's having a great season so far, great to see. My main hope would be that we hold firm for serious money, and keep him until the summer rather than letting him go in January.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The rumblings in Highbury are that they will be back in come January. As you say l hope not.
Yup…… my mate there as I have talked about before and I have shared multiple times, Pedro is so high on arteta’s list of signing he wants himself, that it was a case of when/if he shows he can regain optimum form they will come in.

They had a deal agreed “in principle” for the summer he broke his knee cap against Fulham.

They wanted a double raid of neves and Pedro for a while but moving Xhaka was always the blocker to that transfer plan.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a very good point, would his pace and close control be useful to a team such as City who have loads of possession and are usually camped on the edge of opposition boxes with no space?

Swap Doku for Neto on Saturday and City probably win that game.

I think any team could find a use for him.

Arsenal are the only ones with a known long-standing interest. I'd be amazed if United weren't interested too, given how terrible their wide players are.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the basis we reluctantly know he's going to be sold, it's really beneficial IMO that he's playing so well against the big teams. It raises your profile so much.

To be honest, I actually wasn't that impressed with Neto in the first few weeks.

Nunes and Cunha were better against United, he was very poor against Brighton, and whilst he got two assists against Palace he wasn't great. Everton was the same, but he got another assist and his manic celebrations looked relief for him as much as anything because everything hadn't gone his way.

The last three games he has been electric though. Looks faster than before. Looks so confident, and he's destroyed Man City and Liverpool.

It was crazy what he was doing to Ake really. I've not seen him given such a torrid time as that.

Probably needs to show it over a longer period before the offers arrive, but it looks as though he's back. If he can get the big boys interested, then you should be looking at £60-70m. We'd need him to get 7/8 goals and double figures for assists. Could be possible if he stays fit.

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hav`nt read through this thread, but we need to extend his contract.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably needs to show it over a longer period before the offers arrive, but it looks as though he's back. If he can get the big boys interested, then you should be looking at £60-70m. We'd need him to get 7/8 goals and double figures for assists. Could be possible if he stays fit.

You only need 2 of them to be really interested and the price could be very inflated. Caicedo proves that!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% and giving them that pathway to showcase their skills, then understanding their need to make the next step encourages the next Neto or Jota to come. We are looking at a different ball park to any other player that has departed fee wise, a young, pacey attacker, who can beat a man, score and assist with a number of clubs lining up for his signature. Neves was strangely never really in demand and didn't seem to be as highly rated outside of Wolverhampton, but I can see a summer bidding war for Pedro if his fitness and form hold up.
While in general terms l agree the main thrust of this we need to be looking to move ourselves up the food chain in parallel. Permanent acceptance of stepping stone status would ultimately be self-defeating.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While in general terms l agree the main thrust of this we need to be looking to move ourselves up the food chain in parallel. Permanent acceptance of stepping stone status would ultimately be self-defeating.

Yeah, you need to be careful with the stepping stone bit.

You almost have to catch players on the way up, so they can build their profiles here. Then we might become their platform to a bigger side, but if they don't perform and there's no interest, they will still be happy to stay. I think Jota, Neto, Neves and Kilman are all good examples of getting it right. Nunes an example of not getting it right.

Nunes was too high profile for us in a way. He never wanted to play for us and treated us as no more than a stepping stone. Even though he was **** for us, he still got a move to the treble winners.

I think Brighton have been fantastic in the last few seasons, but Southampton were held up in the same light a few years ago. Selling and replacing will always catch up with you in the end, when replacements don't perform. As it has done with us.

Swapping Cucarella for Estupian + £50m is great business. Trossard for Mitona + £20m is great business. But they haven't maintained their central midfield or goalkeeper as well, and their defensive and forward spine has been the same for a long time. They've also stepped into new territory with high profile signings like Ansu Fati. He will only want to be there for a short time, so could end up like a Nunes situation for them. They have a big replacement/succession job to do in the next few seasons.

Last edited:

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do you prevent them from wanting to play at the top clubs? Realistically players like Neto will be desperate to join Arsenal given the chance. Just like the Salternita guy wants to join us.
That's just it, we can't. It's always happened and always will, although the money on offer now makes it twice as difficult to keep anyone we see as a top player.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, you need to be careful with the stepping stone bit.

You almost have to catch players on the way up, so they can build their profiles here. Then we might become their platform to a bigger side, but if they don't perform and there's no interest, they will still be happy to stay. I think Jota, Neto, Neves and Kilman are all good examples of getting it right. Nunes an example of not getting it right.

Nunes was too high profile for us in a way. He never wanted to play for us and treated us as no more than a stepping stone. Even though he was **** for us, he still got a move to the treble winners.

I think Brighton have been fantastic in the last few seasons, but Southampton were held up in the same light a few years ago. Selling and replacing will always catch up with you in the end, when replacements don't perform. As it has done with us.

Swapping Cucarella for Estupian + £50m is great business. Trossard for Mitona + £20m is great business. But they haven't maintained their central midfield or goalkeeper as well, and their defensive and forward spine has been the same for a long time. They've also stepped into new territory with high profile signings like Ansu Fati. He will only want to be there for a short time, so could end up like a Nunes situation for them. They have a big replacement/succession job to do in the next few seasons.
It's tricky though ay it.

I'd rather be a stepping stone than not be a stepping stone.

We can't ever compete with the big boys in terms of spending so have to shop smarter, more efficiently. Say if Neto was playing for Palace there is no way we could realistically sign him so i'd much rather get him earlier in his career so we do get to see Neto (or players like him)

Part of the appeal for talented youngsters to sign for us is that they can go on to bigger and better things, if you stop them it then because much harder to "sell" Wolves to them.

It's always a risk trying to replace our best players, but surely it's better to have that headache as it means we've been recruiting good players. If we didn't sign players to be a "stepping stone for them" we still need players to come and play for us, so i'd rather we're recruiting quality players who make a few quid for us than players who aren't as good and don't make us any money.

Fosun aren't bank rolling us into the top six, so this is the only viable strategy we have.

Hedge End Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Think he deserves a better song.
We should recycle the old Jota song:
"It's Pedro not Diogo....", especially as he was always the justification for selling Jota.

Bradstonian

Reaction score
I think that's why players like Gonzalez are being brought in. £5m, 18, very raw.

As a left footed, direct wide player, Gonzalez is probably Neto's long-term successor.
Exactly this. Wolves will already be identifying replacements, not just for Neto, but for everyone on the pitch. Long term succession planning, bringing big sums into the coffers.

Back
Top Bottom