Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not exactly trying to downplay his own part in this victory.

However I can understand his need to do this after all the recent criticism and question marks about his ability.

He was also very quick to milk the applauds from the fans, on his own, at the end of the game as well. A stark contrast to not wanting to face the fans on Tuesday.

I don't like him or rate him, and today changed very little, but I don't blame him for lapping up the result and contrary to the views of some on here, O'Neil winning means we win, so I'm happy (even if it does delay his inevitable sacking)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did the right thing today, but Man City despite their brilliance are arguably one of the easiest sides to decide what tactics to use against and has to be said we didn't have a huge threat on the break (though we did spend most of the game ahead so can be argued we didn't need to)

Great result and fair play to him, but we've seen enough crap not to get too excited just yet. Continue it against Villa next week

Now the nerves are calming, I agree! Just as a defeat wouldn't have relegated us, a win doesn't make us safe. Still a long way to go. Over the decades, have seen so many times, a team pull out an amazing performance like today. And then fall far short in the next match.

City have a habit of a couple of surprise defeats every season, where they misfire and lose to the only shot they concede. We score 2 from our 1 shot!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of humble pie being ate tonight.
Why?

He deserves credit for today, but mate, come on now…….. but it wasn’t a tactical destruction of city we parked every bus in the city and both goals are significantly down to neto doing things only Neto can do and major major credit goes to Dawson for his equally and debatabley motm performance for clearing one off the line just before we scored (second ball into space for Neto to get in behind of the game that got a goal) and him knocking it off the toe of Haaland.

They played really well, but no humble pie till he delivers a result and full 90 performance in a game against a team of our level as he lost to a championship team reserves mid-week after being 2 up.

But tonight is a night for enjoying the moment and positivity.

So Well done for today gary!!! Well done lads

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why?

He deserves credit for today, but mate, come on now…….. but it wasn’t a tactical destruction of city we parked every bus in the city and both goals are significantly down to neto doing things only Neto can do and major major credit goes to Dawson for his equally and debatabley motm performance for clearing one off the line just before we scored (second ball into space for Neto to get in behind of the game that got a goal) and him knocking it off the toe of Haaland.

They played really well, but no humble pie till he delivers a result and full 90 performance in a game against a team of our level as he lost to a championship team reserves mid-week after being 2 up.

So Well done for today gary!!! Well done lads

Neto had no involvement in the second goal. Kilman played the ball into Semedo who put the cross in. Then it was good play from Cunha to lay the deflected ball into Hwang, after Hwang's inital blocked shot.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was also very quick to milk the applauds from the fans, on his own, at the end of the game as well. A stark contrast to not wanting to face the fans on Tuesday.

I don't like him or rate him, and today changed very little, but I don't blame him for lapping up the result and contrary to the views of some on here, O'Neil winning means we win, so I'm happy (even if it does delay his inevitable sacking)
Beating the best team in world football has no affect on your opinion? Jesus, what do you want him to do. Just have a slice of humble pie and sit up the corner

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be a perfect time to play Villa next week, they are a very good team but they are in the **** end of nowhere Thursday night, they are likely going to go very strong having lost the opening Europa match.
Aston is bad , but it's only down the road ,... Hardly the **** end of nowhere.....

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He set us up spot on, as expected. Thankfully the game was quite consistent and he didn’t bugger us with his subs.

Well done Gary, more of this from now on!!!
I think this is it really. Most of us thought a back 5 suited this game and we looked defensively stronger for it .
We eork d really hard and broke well against the best team in the world who were at near full strength minus Rodri
Is it coincidence that we have played so well in different ways against the three big six teams we have faced?
If GON plays to our strengths then let’s see what he does . Keep it simple

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or give some credit where it’s due. Nuno has zero input into a team that contained 2 of his players
I did give credit in other posts.

I took that persons post as it was a nuno’esque performance and that is a positive to me as Nuno gave us great results and performances against the big teams.

No disrespect meant

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You realise you're going to have to praise Semedo here... ;)
He got much much better as the game went on and played well after a shaky first 30 mins defensively with the ball being played down his wing a lot. He benefited from a 5 at the back.

But I will always praise a good performance even if most weeks I don’t rate them.

Today he was very good when he settled into the game and he put a good initial ball into the box after running into the space behind their full back which Neto had done so well.

I wish he was more adventurous like that more often……

I know it was semedo but stupidly but Neto hahaha dilerious with joy lol

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now the nerves are calming, I agree! Just as a defeat wouldn't have relegated us, a win doesn't make us safe. Still a long way to go. Over the decades, have seen so many times, a team pull out an amazing performance like today. And then fall far short in the next match.

City have a habit of a couple of surprise defeats every season, where they misfire and lose to the only shot they concede. We score 2 from our 1 shot!
Mate we aren't going to be anywhere near relegation. It's the stuff of fantasy it really is. This was the toughest part of the season, I'm not expecting us to win every week now but there aren't just 3 teams worse than us there are about 8 if not more.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beating the best team in world football has no affect on your opinion? Jesus, what do you want him to do. Just have a slice of humble pie and sit up the corner
It's one result - a very good result mind, but no, it isn't going to change my opinion, it's going to take a little more than that. Dave Jones' side also beat Fergie's United - let's see what he does over the next few games and if I start to see a coherent pattern to our play I'm sure he will win the 95% that didn't want him and I around.

Reaction score
It's one result - a very good result mind, but no, it isn't going to change my opinion, it's going to take a little more than that. Dave Jones' side also beat Fergie's United - let's see what he does over the next few games and if I start to see a coherent pattern to our play I'm sure he will win the 95% that didn't want him and I around.
It hasn’t changed my opinion either, one swallow doesn’t make a summer.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Summed up nicely

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No why should it, it’s just one match if he continues to do it then that’s different but for now it could just be an extremely lucky one off.
Well it wasnt extremely lucky for a start
They hardly threatened our goal despite what the stats say
We played well against a very good side that had a slightly off day thats all
I agree its just one game and we have to do it consistently but dont knock the lads for a good win that virtually no one expected

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No why should it, it’s just one match if he continues to do it then that’s different but for now it could just be an extremely lucky one off.
A lucky one off??
First team this season to beat the current premier league and European champions ...that's not a bad one off to have!!
I guess you ll be doing cartwheels if we get 0 0 against Bournemouth instead

Reaction score
Well it wasnt extremely lucky for a start
They hardly threatened our goal despite what the stats say
We played well against a very good side that had a slightly off day thats all
I agree its just one game and we have to do it consistently but dont knock the lads for a good win that virtually no one expected
I’m not knocking the team at all I just said GON got lucky with his tactics today so it’s not changed my opinion of him one iota.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Why?

So Well done for today gary!!! Well done lado
Summed up nicely
i tend to take the temperature gauge at home (all) and away games (most) by asking fans their opinions on various topical issues. No way does the negativity of those whom are regulars reflect twitter or the mix. The end!

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad thing is, if we absolutley batter Villa and lose 4-3 with VAR gifting them 2 goals and a **** ref sending one of our players off unfairly then the "GON is clueless" brigade will be out in full force.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Got to admit, I don't really know what to think now. Should my view of GON be swayed by one result? Probably not. Was I too quick to write the guy off. Perhaps. It was a decent 90min performance against the best team in the league, if not one of the best in club football. Were we brilliant, or were they below par, or more likely a bit of both? Man, if we beat Villa I'm going to be in a right muddle. Time will tell I guess, probably best to enjoy the moment and not worry about what or who is best for the longer term future of our club.

Cmon Wolves - more of the same please - I'd be very happy to be proven wrong...

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad thing is, if we absolutley batter Villa and lose 4-3 with VAR gifting them 2 goals and a **** ref sending one of our players off unfairly then the "GON is clueless" brigade will be out in full force.
That wouldn’t happen…..

if the team played well and lost we would back him and the team and feel aggrieved if your scenario happened…..

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got to admit, I don't really know what to think now. Should my view of GON be swayed by one result? Probably not. Was I too quick to write the guy off. Perhaps. It was a decent 90min performance against the best team in the league, if not one of the best in club football. Were we brilliant, or were they below par, or more likely a bit of both? Man, if we beat Villa I'm going to be in a right muddle. Time will tell I guess, probably best to enjoy the moment and not worry about what or who is best for the longer term future of our club.

Cmon Wolves - more of the same please - I'd be very happy to be proven wrong...

We suffocated them. They created very little of worth. It wasn't just park the bus.

We will still keep having the same problems going on from here.. and not sure what the solution is.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure there's 95% that don't want you around...

90% maybe ;)

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score
I’m not knocking the team at all I just said GON got lucky with his tactics today so it’s not changed my opinion of him one iota.
The only manager to take points of the European Champions this season in the Premier League. It was a well executed game plan & GON deserves credit for that & yes we all need a little bit of luck along the way.

Back
Top Bottom