Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

top fox wolf

Reaction score
Silva speaking about the togetherness of the squad in the Wolves Express, while GON speaks about trying to Unite the squad.
The PR machine is trying so hard to handle this, they end up with mixed message..

And of course I do realise both things could be true. For instance the togetherness could be quite good, they just aren't in unity when it comes to the view of the manager and his ideas.
Never mind gobbling of in the paper score some ******** goals ........sorry you have to know where the goals are first ......its them things sticking out the ground at the end of the pitch .......8ft by 8ft ......

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
But not 1:11?
He stated that most goals tend to be scored in the second half - I posted the statistics back that up.

I didn't say that we've let more in the second half than any other team in the league up to this point, which is also true.

We've let in a spate of goals against the highest scoring teams in the league so far, with Man City and Newcastle soon to come.

Brighton - 18
ManCity - 16
Newcastle - 16
Liverpool - 15
Tottenham - 15

We've conceded 7 out of 12 goals to Brighton and Liverpool (most in the second half). And only 5 goals to ManU (1), Luton (1), Crystal Palace (3), and Everton (0). So, the outlier is Crystal Palace.

I think the biggest worry for me defensively is that we tend to drop our heads and let in a spate of goals in a short amount of time. It's a mentality/concentration thing that I see - just really bad individual brain farts (not tracking runners or poor positioning). We do need to tighten up the ship defensively or we're going to get stuck in the muck.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He stated that most goals tend to be scored in the second half - I posted the statistics back that up.

I didn't say that we've let more in the second half than any other team in the league up to this point, which is also true.

We've let in a spate of goals against the highest scoring teams in the league so far, with Man City and Newcastle soon to come.

Brighton - 18
ManCity - 16
Newcastle - 16
Liverpool - 15
Tottenham - 15

We've conceded 7 out of 12 goals to Brighton and Liverpool (most in the second half). And only 5 goals to ManU (1), Luton (1), Crystal Palace (3), and Everton (0). So, the outlier is Crystal Palace.

I think the biggest worry for me defensively is that we tend to drop our heads and let in a spate of goals in a short amount of time. It's a mentality/concentration thing that I see - just really bad individual brain farts (not tracking runners or poor positioning). We do need to tighten up the ship defensively or we're going to get stuck in the muck.
Palace isn’t the only outlier….. we shifted 3 in the second half to Brighton…….

What gives you the illusion GO has the ability to tighten up our defence as his Bournemouth team gave up the most amount of chances in the whole league post the World Cup? As we are giving away lots of goals and even 20 shots to an awful Luton team.

If i go back to your defence also about the number of goals in the second half for gary….. it is a **** poor one and actually he invited more criticism as wolves are directly contributing to 11.458% Of all second half goals with 11 from the 96…. That is ****ing apauling!!! And that % will only increase today unless city take their foot off the gas and bring on the changes to protect players for the champions league midweek…..

I am scared about the score line, but would have been more so if it wasn’t champions league week sandwiched between the league cup in midweek meaning they will take some extent look to preserve energy.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d say you’re far too emotionally “in the moment”. O’Neil is a poor appointment but Saunders makes him look like prime Alex Ferguson. O’Neil is struggling to get a tune out of average players in the hardest league in world football. Saunders cl got us relegated to the third tier with a premier league squad.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nelson Semedo … now there’s a natural born leader of men if ever there was one. I look forward to the movie in years to come.
He can’t keep an eye on the man he is meant to watching on the field…..

But at least we know why now….. he is the leader of men we never knew we had and he is to busy marshalling the defence to do his own job hahahaha

If a player with his awful ability to track his runner was having a pop about me about an error with how many goals and chances him losing his man creates I would have been telling him to look after his own game first…..

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never mind gobbling of in the paper score some ******** goals ........sorry you have to know where the goals are first ......its them things sticking out the ground at the end of the pitch .......8ft by 8ft ......
That’s why we’re struggling. Goals are too small.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Brighton - 18
ManCity - 16
Newcastle - 16
Liverpool - 15
Tottenham - 15

Interesting. Man Utd was arguably ‘Lopetegui’s team’ and was our best performance of the season overall.

But it’s not just our defending. We can’t score enough goals and haven’t been able to for more than three season now.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For the last few years coaches have pushed the idea of having plan A, and if plan A doesn't work just do plan A better, then talk about philosophy and their idea. O'Neil seems to going against the grain. I don't know if he's 10 years behind the curve, or he's ahead of the curve and coaches will change their approach. I suspect the former. If he doesn't get results he'll be going over the edge. Liam Keen on the E&S podcast suggested there's a chance O'Neil could be still be here if we get relegated because some Championship clubs were interested in him. That says it all really.
I don't think having an 'everything' plan has ever been a successful approach. Cullis had a clear identity, Clough had a clear identity and focused on giving players straightforward roles to play. Lack of a clear identity is going to confuse even intelligent players and I think we're seeing that in most matches this season.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I absolutely loved Bully as a player, but its beyond my comprehension how he can paid to write stuff like this.
Its not that I particular disagree with the cliches he spouts about sticking together, etc.
Its the fact that you can always be sure that his opinion is always firmly in line with the narrative the club wants to tell. In this case absolving GON from any blame, saying a point at Luton was good, putting the disaster at Ipswich down to inexperience(when all could see it was a tactical mess) and talking about unity as opposed to critic of GON which it really isn't. In fact being critical of the manager is a sign of concern and love for the club.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I absolutely loved Bully as a player, but its beyond my comprehension how he can paid to write stuff like this.
Its not that I particular disagree with the cliches he spouts about sticking together, etc.
Its the fact that you can always be sure that his opinion is always firmly in line with the narrative the club wants to tell. In this case absolving GON from any blame, saying a point at Luton was good, putting the disaster at Ipswich down to inexperience(when all could see it was a tactical mess) and talking about unity as opposed to critic of GON which it really isn't. In fact being critical of the manager is a sign of concern and love for the club.

Wonder who wrote that for him?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I love Bully but the game passed him by about 15 years ago.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steve Bull loves Wolves and always will. He is a Wolves legend and one of us.
Not disputing that at all. In fact I can't think of many ex players with the same love for and connection with a club and fans. On a personal level I've no issues with hin either. I remember meeting him on my first trip to Wolverhampton back in the early 90's and he was absolutely generous and kind towards me and my mates. Probably the most down to earth footballer I've ever met.
It's purely his contribution as a column writer I don't rate very highly.

MIKE SLATER

Groupie
Reaction score
The last 5 you mention make no discernible difference based on last year’s XI for me.

We have a better squad than Sheff U, Palace, Luton, Forest, Burnley, Fulham, Bournemouth and Everton for me. So 12th should be achievable.
Fair enough, but my concern is that some of those players WOULD get in the first team now

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not disputing that at all. In fact I can't think of many ex players with the same love for and connection with a club and fans. On a personal level I've no issues with hin either. I remember meeting him on my first trip to Wolverhampton back in the early 90's and he was absolutely generous and kind towards me and my mates. Probably the most down to earth footballer I've ever met.
It's purely his contribution as a column writer I don't rate very highly.

He knows more about what is happening
at Wolves than any of us. I would trust what he says about Wolves more than anyone else. Steve Bull is not going to **** Wolves fans over and is one of us.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He knows more about what is happening
at Wolves than any of us. I would trust what he says about Wolves more than anyone else. Steve Bull is not going to **** Wolves fans over and is one of us.

Yes and your point being?
There's nothing in his opinion piece that seems to rely on any special insight knowledge.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never thought I would see this day. Lopetegui before Wolves and now rubbishing Bully.
Don’t talk ****ing *******s! Do you really think Bully is going to put out a negative article against the club?

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Bully's right, we all need to get behind GON, and give him a big shove out of the door.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My point is he will not Bul**** to Wolves fans and he knows more than anyone on here about Wolves.

I completely agree with you.
Having an opinion that fits perfectly into the overall PR narrative the club wants the fans to believe isn't bull****ting the fans either. It might well be his opinion because frankly it's very consistent with everything else he's written through the years, which is mostly about sticking together and support the club whatever decisions are made.
To a large degree he's right about that of course. I personally just think he could and should use his influence and platform of communication for some constructive criticism when appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom