Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva speaking about the togetherness of the squad in the Wolves Express, while GON speaks about trying to Unite the squad.
The PR machine is trying so hard to handle this, they end up with mixed message..

And of course I do realise both things could be true. For instance the togetherness could be quite good, they just aren't in unity when it comes to the view of the manager and his ideas.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva speaking about the togetherness of the squad in the Wolves Express, while GON speaks about trying to Unite the squad.
The PR machine is trying so hard to handle this, they end up with mixed message..

And of course I do realise both things could be true. For instance the togetherness could be quite good, they just aren't in unity when it comes to the view of the manager and his ideas.
GON’s narrative is the club brought him in to fix all that was wrong. This includes a team of individuals and a un-united group of players.

Last edited:

Wolvessince63

Reaction score
“There are leaders within the group, definitely, some who are vocal and some who lead by example. It’s similar everywhere now, the shouting and screaming has died down a lot from when I played and there’s a slightly different feel in society in general now, not only football.

“There’s leadership in there. You saw in training, there’s a real focus on the leaders in the group making sure the rest are ready for what’s coming tomorrow. Sometimes when you don’t have enough on there things can start to get away from you and you feel you need to get them in the dressing room to help them, but when we’ve got our key leaders on there, I’m really confident we
can get the boys to a good understanding of situations where they can manage things themselves.”

That’s ok then Gary ffs

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“There are leaders within the group, definitely, some who are vocal and some who lead by example. It’s similar everywhere now, the shouting and screaming has died down a lot from when I played and there’s a slightly different feel in society in general now, not only football.

“There’s leadership in there. You saw in training, there’s a real focus on the leaders in the group making sure the rest are ready for what’s coming tomorrow. Sometimes when you don’t have enough on there things can start to get away from you and you feel you need to get them in the dressing room to help them, but when we’ve got our key leaders on there, I’m really confident we
can get the boys to a good understanding of situations where they can manage things themselves.”

That’s ok then Gary ffs
Would be truly hilarious if the **** wasn't manager of my football team, makes Saunders sound like Pep.

Wolvessince63

Reaction score
“It’s a fantastic job, I love what I do, I love working for such a fantastic club. The six games we’ve had have been tough, tough starting fixtures, and we’ve shown some good spells in most of them. Luton was disappointing with the way the game started, we weathered a bit of a storm and then lost a man to the sending off, so didn’t really get to show that we were going to stamp any authority from that moment, which I feel we would have, but we showed good resilience to get out of there with something.

“From my point of view, loads of work to do, and I understand my responsibility to get the best out of the group. Some things have gone against us, and we’ve had some good spells, so we’re trying to progress if from there.”

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“It’s a fantastic job, I love what I do, I love working for such a fantastic club. The six games we’ve had have been tough, tough starting fixtures, and we’ve shown some good spells in most of them. Luton was disappointing with the way the game started, we weathered a bit of a storm and then lost a man to the sending off, so didn’t really get to show that we were going to stamp any authority from that moment, which I feel we would have, but we showed good resilience to get out of there with something.

“From my point of view, loads of work to do, and I understand my responsibility to get the best out of the group. Some things have gone against us, and we’ve had some good spells, so we’re trying to progress if from there.”

"Good spells in most of them"

The level of ambition is sky high..

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

They’re together that all think Gary is a ****er!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But were they specifically called leadership groups? And those names mentioned were all senior first team pros.
Does it matter what they’re called? At any level of football the senior players will all be defacto leaders. Was john ruddy playing for us when he was such an important part of Nuno’s dressing room?

McLair and Bruce were hardly playing but fergie realised the importance of older experienced heads. It’s happened in football since the dawn of time.

O’Neil might be useless but Jesus does every little thing have to be held against him

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the E&S article GON talks a lot about ‘the group’, particularly the leadership ‘group’. Is this the new buzz word? Bentley is in the leadership group.

I don’t know how leadership groups work but I wonder how the players react to ‘leaders’ who have never played in a PL or other top tear league. Unless he’s there to represent the ‘second XI’ and other players.
“Leadership group” has been a buzz word for a couple of years.

But in fairness, it is just a snazzy way of describing the “dressing room leaders” so It is a word salad way of describing the influential players.

Like when in the rugby Eddie Jones called subs “finishers” and then every coach and their dog did the same haha

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe he’ll mature as he grows into the managerial role. At the moment he seems to be wanting to justify himself, his authority and knowledge.

Thought it interesting he referred to the Leeds game when his players made some crazy decisions and they felt the full force of his emotions after the game. Bournemouth fans seemed to think his subs didn’t help, if I remember right.

To me it looked like he still can’t quite believe he is where he is and is trying to be the gaffer but the coat doesn’t yet fit.
He will gave to mature somewhere else. Out by Christmas.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

That’s ok then Gary ffs
Yet, in the majority of games, they crumble when they concede a goal

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

“There’s leadership in there. You saw in training, there’s a real focus on the leaders in the group making sure the rest are ready for what’s coming tomorrow. Sometimes when you don’t have enough on there things can start to get away from you and you feel you need to get them in the dressing room to help them, but when we’ve got our key leaders on there, I’m really confident we can get the boys to a good understanding of situations where they can manage things themselves.”

That’s ok then Gary ffs
Again with many of O'Neill's claims, the evidence of our eyes says different. I didn't see much leadership on the pitch when we disintegrated against Brighton, Palace, Liverpool and Ipswich. We've been at sixes and sevens at times in games.

He's describing the bare minimum I would expect from elite level footballers, communicating with each other, trying to prepare for matches and ensuring the youngsters know they're doing. I maintain you need a figurehead who goes beyond that, who you look up to as the leader of the pack. Coady had flaws, but his leadership qualities were outstanding. Lopetegui served that role too last season, but now we don't have that. That Kilman is captain sums it up.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Luton then Man City. Bottom and top.
A great way to judge GON’s management ability.
I expected us to attack Luton . We didn’t. So I was not happy.
Now I expect us to contract and defend against City. Limiting damage.
IMO our play against Liverpool should have been used against Luton not vice versa.

Last edited:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t Gary basically imply after the liverpool capitulation that the lads were basically lucky to share a pitch with Liverpool as they had so many quality players?

Then in his new on he doesn’t see it as a free hit…..

Make your mind up Gary….. as one week in his words was basically a free hit to deflect pressure from himself after the capitulation and this week he says there is no such thing…… I look forward to him flip flopping again to protect his ego

John Wolves Fan

Groupie
Reaction score
And 2 scandalous VAR decisions prevent us from being 12th with 7 points which i think everyone would have been happy with.

For all the faults seen so far (which there have undoubtedly been and no i dont think he's the right man for the job) he has been a little unlucky as well.
Exactly - there have been moments in games where VAR has really robbed us.

It's not just the lost points it is also the momentum that it has.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oneil is acting like a fool and he must think we are all stupid. Bournemouth fans said his tactics were all over the place and his substitutions awful. At luton the amount of odd tactical shifts he did was bizarre. During the first half we had a coach on the other side of the pitch passing notes to players. There is no system, no plan, no plan B, no cohesion and just confusion. The players must hate this archaic crap. After playing for your country to then end up playing non league football in training must be soul destroying

Back
Top Bottom