Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

EFL Cup Ipswich V Wolves VERDICT

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every goal was Bentley's fault, two at his near post and a long shot down his throat. Absolutely awful and it's worrying that we're one injury to Sa away from him starting Premier League games. Not as bad a performance as many want to paint it as. Yes it was their second string, it was also our's. Hardly worth of the Armageddon response on here.

If we sack GON, who are you all expecting? It'll be Steve Davis for the rest of the season.
I'd take Steve Davis the former snookerist over this clown.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's because they were a team, currently we have a bunch of talented individuals.
Will they ever become a Team.

I don't expect our forwards to score, not when Cunha is placed to defend the near post everytime the opposition get a corner kick.
I also no longer appreciate the 11 men in our own 6 yard box defending.
How can you expect our forwards to run the length of the pitch and to arrive with enough calmness/ energy to score.
Our defence has no one to clear the ball to, so the opposition stay in our final third and score.

That's the pattern I'm seeing, week in week out.
Yes, all 11 in our own box for their corners was noticeable yesterday evening.
I did shake my head in disbelief on numerous occasions.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah we threw it away tonight, but we started with Bentley , Jonny, s . Bueno , toti , h .bueno , Doherty , Doyle , Sarabia , traore, Sasa ...that's 10 players who wouldn't normally start ...and probably won't again
If you reckon that those players have all been brought because they are not thought to be able to play for the first team then what was the point of keeping or bringing them in. At least half of them are good players not playing well in a poorly managed team.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Yes, all 11 in our own box for their corners was noticeable yesterday evening.
I did shake my head in disbelief on numerous occasions.
I'm reminded of one of my first lessons from a football coach which was 'DO NOT ALL FOLLOW THE BALL!' I was six years old.

When it comes to opposition corners and set pieces we appear to have 10 (would be) central defenders and a goalkeeper.

It's chaos.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah we threw it away tonight, but we started with Bentley , Jonny, s . Bueno , toti , h .bueno , Doherty , Doyle , Sarabia , traore, Sasa ...that's 10 players who wouldn't normally start ...and probably won't again
S.Bueno has presumably been scouted and thought to have potential as a first teamer.
Toti, H Bueno, Doc, Doyle, Sarabia, Traore and Sasa are all first teamers and have played for the first team, indeed many of us (me included) would like to see Toti and Doc start whilst its more than conceivable that Traore plays instead of Bellgarde for next 2 games

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
S.Bueno was always going to struggle at the start of his career here. A rough, South American centre back who’s used to slower and less physical games. It will take him time to adapt. By all accounts he was awful last night but he needs time - the issue is that we can’t afford to give it to him right now.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes it was their second string, it was also our's.
We were facing the second string of a club that was a L1 outfit only a few weeks ago. It's basically a bunch of 'journeymen' footballers. And our 2nd string cost how much ?

Last edited:

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were facing the second string of a club that was a L1 outfit only a few weeks ago. It's basically a bunch of 'jourrneymen' footballers. And our 2nd string cost how much ?
Just making the point that it's still our second string. They are second in the Championship for a reason so the 'L1 outfit a few weeks ago' is a bit redundant to me. A lot of that is down to their head coach having a squad that is all well drilled into how they want to play after a full preseason.

I'm not a GON apologist by any means, I certainly have my doubts about his ability to manage this group (and watching him on the side he looks like a deer in headlights), but it's hardly his fault he was thrown into the cauldron a week before the season started.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seriously? Even Keen in his post match video said the 70 mins which came after the first 20 was atrocious, worrying and unacceptable. We were god awful once they scored their first goal. Couldn’t control the game, hold onto possession, defend with confidence or make decent chances. Jeez, even GON said we didn’t play like a team, but more like a collection of players. No leadership, no direction, no strategy or tactics.
Yet, every goal was still Bentley's fault. Not saying we played well, Ipswich made us look amateur at times with their pressing and general intensity of play, but that's with a head coach that's been working with that group for a couple of years now.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet, every goal was still Bentley's fault. Not saying we played well, Ipswich made us look amateur at times with their pressing and general intensity of play, but that's with a head coach that's been working with that group for a couple of years now.
If GON lasts a couple of years we'll likely be in League 1.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not a GON apologist by any means, I certainly have my doubts about his ability to manage this group (and watching him on the side he looks like a deer in headlights), but it's hardly his fault he was thrown into the cauldron a week before the season started.
Unlike many managers who are thrown in when a team is in real trouble you mean?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Assuming defeats vs Man City and Villa (possibly highly embarassing ones) GON's position will become very weak indeed. Have Hobbs and co got a plan B manager they should be approaching within three weeks? I still cannot believe GON was given a three year contract. Extraordinary. Whatever his inadequacies it is Hobbs where the buck stops-assuming Shi relied heavily on his advice. Even Doris could see this was a foolish knee-jerk appointment. GON is a Div 1 or at best Championship manager in waiting who needs to go through the hard yards of the lower divisions before even considering the steep challenges of Premier League management. But he will walk away with a tidy sum.....

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unlike many managers who are thrown in when a team is in real trouble you mean?
I just think that, factoring in a few very good first half performances, he deserves a bit of time. It's not been ALL terrible. His ability to adapt in games is quite worrying, but he's also a young and inexperienced manager.

If he can find a better balance between going gung-ho in the first half of games and being ****ed in the second half of games, we'll be alright. Pressing with the intensity we have in the first half of games has caught up to us massively, especially for Joao and Mario in midfield. The Luton first half performance was the result of trying to find that balance but getting it terribly wrong.

He deserves more time to figure things out. Just my opinion. Would that be a mistake to waste another couple of months if he doesn't? Maybe.

Getting a firefighter in now isn't going to be any different to getting one in a couple of months, realistically the calibre of manager we'd be looking at now will be the same ones available in November/December with not a pot to **** in and a pocket change salary.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did a bit of research on 2 of the Ipswich players who impressed me last night ...the number 9 ( delapo) , ( a proper number 9 ) , was a free transfer from Rotherham!!
The number 20 ( Hutchinson ) who ran rings around us at times , is 19 , on loan from Chelsea , but has only ever played 8 professional games.....what the hell are our scouts doing?? Apart from sunbathing in Portugal!!!

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every goal was Bentley's fault, two at his near post and a long shot down his throat. Absolutely awful and it's worrying that we're one injury to Sa away from him starting Premier League games. Not as bad a performance as many want to paint it as. Yes it was their second string, it was also our's. Hardly worth of the Armageddon response on here.

If we sack GON, who are you all expecting? It'll be Steve Davis for the rest of the season.
Agreed Bentley had very little to do, but managed to make a complete mess of every shot they had.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think that, factoring in a few very good first half performances, he deserves a bit of time. It's not been ALL terrible. His ability to adapt in games is quite worrying, but he's also a young and inexperienced manager.

If he can find a better balance between going gung-ho in the first half of games and being ****ed in the second half of games, we'll be alright. Pressing with the intensity we have in the first half of games has caught up to us massively, especially for Joao and Mario in midfield. The Luton first half performance was the result of trying to find that balance but getting it terribly wrong.

He deserves more time to figure things out. Just my opinion. Would that be a mistake to waste another couple of months if he doesn't? Maybe.

Getting a firefighter in now isn't going to be any different to getting one in a couple of months, realistically the calibre of manager we'd be looking at now will be the same ones available in November/December with not a pot to **** in and a pocket change salary.
Unfortunately having watched him sitting there cluelessly last night, almost like he recognises that the players are not engaged with his ideas, for me and it’s a ridiculous point but training international players and needing a whistle, something they probably haven’t experienced since they left school. Unlike the established managers he has no presence. His own lack of confidence and stature will hold him back. Needs to start at a much lower level and build himself before any chance of him building established international players.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet he gets more excuses and room to prove himself than bruno ever did from so many on here…….

Some even have tried saying he did better than JL…….

Lage was crap, but he at least got us 13th…..

There has been some right *******s spouted to defend him when he is our worst manager in a very very long time!!!

People must be giving him extra credit because he's English/British...?

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You make some valid points, but I would suggest that the Premier League is no proving ground for as you say "an inexperienced manager" whose learning the ropes.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
S.Bueno was always going to struggle at the start of his career here. A rough, South American centre back who’s used to slower and less physical games. It will take him time to adapt. By all accounts he was awful last night but he needs time - the issue is that we can’t afford to give it to him right now.
He was coming back from an injury which has plagued him for some months. He clearly isn't match fit.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have we ever lost a game against a side from a lower division after being two goals up? That's the level of bad last night was

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was coming back from an injury which has plagued him for some months. He clearly isn't match fit.
Jesus (not Vallejo), the worst position to have somebody needing match fitness in is centre back. There is literally no good time to give him matches, especially for us right now.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just watched the highlights from last night. What struck me was Ipswich’s third goal was created by a series of forward short passes to feet, with players moving in to space to receive the ball. We really should be able to play “ give and go” football a lot more than we do.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I respect your view but I've honestly seen nothing to believe he is ready for management at this level. I understand the issue of who comes in but they can't be worse.

I'd also say that two months is a very long time. Right now we're ok position wise in the league because it's so early. Wait two months and it gets much harder to deal with training, fitness, morale, and points of course.

I'm not with those who thinks the squad is poor so he may be able to bumble along. Fan support is a factor though and to have so little is unheard of.

His post match interviews where he plays the blame game are also completely unacceptable. The players will know that too.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Something one of Sam Allardyce’ ex players said was that he had the ability to make players feel special and confident in their abilities. Moaning about loads of things to fix doesn’t exactly inspire belief.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched the highlights from last night. What struck me was Ipswich’s third goal was created by a series of forward short passes to feet, with players moving in to space to receive the ball. We really should be able to play “ give and go” football a lot more than we do.
I don't know if you saw the game last night but if you didn't their movement was better than ours throughout, they seemed fitter and they were noticeably better organised. After a decent first 20 minutes we couldn't string 2 passes together, players looked all at sea and there seemed to be no structure or plan to our game. Tbh it was a shambles.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I respect your view but I've honestly seen nothing to believe he is ready for management at this level. I understand the issue of who comes in but they can't be worse.

I'd also say that two months is a very long time. Right now we're ok position wise in the league because it's so early. Wait two months and it gets much harder to deal with training, fitness, morale, and points of course.

I'm not with those who thinks the squad is poor so he may be able to bumble along. Fan support is a factor though and to have so little is unheard of.

His post match interviews where he plays the blame game are also completely unacceptable. The players will know that too.
This is the big issue for me - if we give him time and it still is not working we are that much further into the season and a new man has less games and less time to work with the players to get them playing. I think there will be a tipping point and if things don't improve I'd say the next 4 games will decide his fate. I'm not confident for any of the matches tbh, even B'mouth away, so sticking my neck out I think if we don't get a result v Toon he'll be dismissed the w/e of 28 October.

Back
Top Bottom