Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Poll: GON by October? A temperature test. In, out, or on the fence?

In, out, or on the fence?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reminder…. We ended last season with Julen Lopetegui as our manager and a big team of support staff backing him up.

You may not like the bloke, I struggled to, but to even compare what we had then to where we are now, it just blows my brain.

Last edited:

GV Wolf

Reaction score
If he goes it will make Hobbs look bad, therefore he won’t go and we are stuck with him - all the way to relegation.

Swinford Wolf

Reaction score
I’ll always LOVE Wolves but I hate modern football
GON is no better or worse than anyone who could replace him.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he goes it will make Hobbs look bad, therefore he won’t go and we are stuck with him - all the way to relegation.

You don’t build a company like Fosun by making stupid decisions.
If firing Gary will save Wolves from the drop, then you can be reasonably sure that’s what will happen.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Read your last few posts on this thread. It’s clear.
That’s a cop out. I think you have typed any old rubbish and can’t explain what your talking about because to me there is no connection whatsoever so please explain.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we sack him it has to be someone experienced not Scott Parker. Proper back room team not made up of wherever is out of work. Until we do that 4th bottom is all we can hope for

Madmalc

Reaction score
I'm on the fence with this poll as the wording is too ambiguous.
GON by October?
Am I IN with this, meaning do I support this statement and want him gone, or IN meaning I believe GON will still be in the managers job?
Am I OUT with this, meaning I do not support this statement and want him still here, or OUT meaning I want him out of the managers job?

So being totally unclear what an IN or OUT response signifies, on the fence is the only response from me.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Man U game was Julen team and setup. The more O Neil has worked with then the worse they have got.
It was nothing to do with lopetegui, we never played like that away from home under lopetegui..In case you forgotten we got stuffed 6 0 and 5 0 under lopetegui

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even with 10 men GO was steps behind, taking off Cunha for B.Traore was pathetic.

Even after he made the tweaks, ask yourself honestly, how long did we hold parity/gain ascendancy for before they took it back.

It wasn’t long at all.
The tweaks at 11 vs 11 made a big difference and helped us weather the storm. He deserves credit for that but he is pretty simple in this thinking when making subs; I’d have got us higher up the pitch by bringing on Sasa or Fabio and getting Neto up to support as he’s got the work rate to get back as well. We could have attacked more to ease the pressure and help the defence out but we tried to pack the midfield and hope for Neto miracle mk2.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even with 10 men GO was steps behind, taking off Cunha for B.Traore was pathetic.

Even after he made the tweaks, ask yourself honestly, how long did we hold parity/gain ascendancy for before they took it back.

It wasn’t long at all.

He took him off because he was rubbish and not helping. Honestly did people forget we had a player less? We needed people who could get about and challenge, Traore makes a match saving block at the end. The idea that the football geniuses on here think we could have put on Sasa is laughable.

They were controlling the midfield with the extra player, Cunha wasn’t doing his job in stopping their defenders carrying the ball into midfield. thus we needed another midfielder. Some people have been blinded by the idea it’s Luton and they supposedly despite being one of the best teams in the champ for the last 2 years couldn’t possibly be well organised and capable of beating people on their day.

We had a bad day, awful at the start, he changed things we were getting better. Stupid sending off makes it difficult, but having got in front barring one of the worst decisions of the season according to Danny Murphy who hates us Sa doesn’t have a save to make we switched formation and were going to win the game.

Bulls the man

Reaction score
I personally feel for Garry,he’s only been here a short while.
The overall football is poor I agree,also frustrating.
It’s powers above Gary that are the problem,don’t forget JL walked away and left us in the ****
However he is making terrible decisions,not bringing Sasa on yesterday was ludicrous.
I’m undecided on him as yet,he’s inherited a poison chalice as far as I can see.
I know it’s been said but where we are now as a club is unreal as to three years ago.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they tried their best to keep him, but at the end of the day, he didn’t want to stay here and they had no option to pay him off.
Another BIG pay off was the only ready lopetegui came ...he didn't give a **** about wolves

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don’t build a company like Fosun by making stupid decisions.
If firing Gary will save Wolves from the drop, then you can be reasonably sure that’s what will happen.
In our state, what calibre of coach are we going to attract if O'Neil goes. I can't see him being sacked until January anyway until we sell more players to raise the funds to pay him off and by then it will be too late. What a shambles.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In our state, what calibre of coach are we going to attract if O'Neil goes. I can't see him being sacked until January anyway until we sell more players to raise the funds to pay him off and by then it will be too late. What a shambles.
Warnock would be better. Cheap too a real fighter

T

TheConcourse

The job is too big for him but he needs to be given more time.
Why would you give him more time when you’ve just admitted he’s out of his depth?

Ironic that he’s got LeoVegas plastered across his chest, because this non-entity has won the jackpot.

We’ve basically mirrored what Southampton did with Nathan Jones, and it’s going to end the same way.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves have only themselves to blame for this situation. They managed to lure JL in with what seems to be a load of unfulfilled promises and I still think if they knew he was going weeks before the season started they could have done better than GON. A short-term appt or a temporary appt would have been a way to go to give them some breathing space imo. The start of this season is going to mirror last and when you look at Octobers fixtures - City, Villa and Toon at home and ironically B'mouth away you do think it's possible we could still be on 4 points in 5 weeks time. And, of course, we know we'll lose at Ipswich on Tuesday putting more pressure on GON.
I urge posters to watch the B'mouth fan's video on the GON tactics thread. Everything he says about GON's 37 games at B'mouth are repeating themselves here, except of course he did manage some wins down there!
I usually disagree with a lot of what you say but that is 100% spot on.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t know about this so voted on the fence. There are decent moments, but GON decision making (starting line ups and subs) are questionable. We have picked up some points, but most would say we were lucky to, whereas others would argue we were unlucky in other games so it’s balanced.

Let’s face it, we struggled against bottom of the league teams last season (bar saints). Luton is a tiny atmospheric ground and they were never going to just lie down and let us take three points without giving their all in a game they probably felt the could/must win. The fact we managed a point with 10 men (arguably v 12) suggests a) Luton are really not very good, and b) that we do have some kind of resilience and steel, if not a great deal of quality in areas.

For those reasons, I’m on the fence. I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if GON was gone this morning. I would just feel even more bemused and saddened by what is happening at wolves right now. I just still can’t believe that JL was allowed to leave, then we spent money. Having said that, Lopetegui oversaw some **** performances against struggling teams…

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the issue he’s currently having is that he isn’t working with what he’s got and adapting a style based on that. He’s ripped everything up to an extent to carry on with his pre conceived idea of how he wants his teams to play. Worryingly it doesn’t look too dissimilar to how Lage wanted us to play.

T

TheConcourse

The tweaks at 11 vs 11 made a big difference and helped us weather the storm. He deserves credit for that but he is pretty simple in this thinking when making subs; I’d have got us higher up the pitch by bringing on Sasa or Fabio and getting Neto up to support as he’s got the work rate to get back as well. We could have attacked more to ease the pressure and help the defence out but we tried to pack the midfield and hope for Neto miracle mk2.
I disagree on this one, @Ned.

The changes he made definitely helped, but they were created to nullify Luton, and meant we couldn’t get high up the pitch. He basically dropped Hwang 10 yards deeper and put Semedo in as a third CB; Neto switched to the left.

We lost an attacking player immediately, and Cunha dropped deeper into midfield to progress us up the pitch.

Same old problems for me. We don’t have the legs to play higher up the pitch. Dawson shouldn’t be starting in a team that wants to dominate possession and press.

Another sad indication that our scatty transfer strategy shows no signs of letting up, even with Hobbs at the helm.

Sorry, gone off on a tangent, but the whole strategy/model/people are still v1.

Reactions: Ned

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The changes he made definitely helped, but they were created to nullify Luton, and meant we couldn’t get high up the pitch. He basically dropped Hwang 10 yards deeper and put Semedo in as a third CB; Neto switched to the left.

We lost an attacking player immediately, and Cunha dropped deeper into midfield to progress us up the pitch.

Same old problems for me. We don’t have the legs to play higher up the pitch. Dawson shouldn’t be starting in a team that wants to dominate possession and press.

Another sad indication that our scatty transfer strategy shows no signs of letting up, even with Hobbs at the helm.

Fair enough, can’t argue with any of that. The first half was a muddle and players really didn’t know what they were supposed to be doing, the change nullified them luckily but it seems like he overthought the actual starting lineup with a strange system to start with.

Regarding Dawson; I wonder whether he hasn’t been made captain because he was always going to be replaced at some stage. Otherwise I can’t work out any logic behind Kilman getting the gig - although he was alright yesterday.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The comparison with Nathan Jones is depressingly close to the mark.

His media comments are going the same way and he is as bad a coach.
I try not to read too much in to them and take them as an awkward bloke in front of a camera not knowing what to and what not to say.

But they aren’t going to be doing him any favours with fans and possibly the club.

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’m not watching another game till he’s gone. That’s what I think of him. Truely awful! Thankfully I get enjoyment from watching my son play.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If he didn’t do those changes first half we lose the game. Our full backs are not good enough defensively and Dawson not mobile enough to cover. Luton overloaded us just as Liverpool did second half. He had no choice but to go to a back 5. When we went down to 10 we needed our forwards to work to stop their defenders carrying the ball into midfield, Cunha wasn’t doing it, he had a shocking game. People here wanted another forward but that is suicide, sasa isn’t tracking runners and Fabio showed last week he can’t hold the ball up, so they made the smarter choice in Traore into midfield. They shut down the route that had seen us concede at Palace and against Liverpool and forced Luton out wide to hang crosses in that Dawson and Kilman dealt with superbly.

O’Neil’s made plenty of mistakes, but for a terrible pen decision he wins the game with 10 men yesterday

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s easily solved by Fosun actually realising they are making the same mistakes as last year. Sack him now go all out to get Marcello Gallardo in and back him in January. The money this will cost will be a fraction of what relegation will cost them and they really need to wake up and see this.

T

TheConcourse

If he didn’t do those changes first half we lose the game. Our full backs are not good enough defensively and Dawson not mobile enough to cover. Luton overloaded us just as Liverpool did second half. He had no choice but to go to a back 5. When we went down to 10 we needed our forwards to work to stop their defenders carrying the ball into midfield, Cunha wasn’t doing it, he had a shocking game. People here wanted another forward but that is suicide, sasa isn’t tracking runners and Fabio showed last week he can’t hold the ball up, so they made the smarter choice in Traore into midfield. They shut down the route that had seen us concede at Palace and against Liverpool and forced Luton out wide to hang crosses in that Dawson and Kilman dealt with superbly.

O’Neil’s made plenty of mistakes, but for a terrible pen decision he wins the game with 10 men yesterday
So why isn’t he starting with a back three and pushing our WB’s higher? You can’t exist in a game to nullify Luton.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He took him off because he was rubbish and not helping. Honestly did people forget we had a player less? We needed people who could get about and challenge, Traore makes a match saving block at the end. The idea that the football geniuses on here think we could have put on Sasa is laughable.

They were controlling the midfield with the extra player, Cunha wasn’t doing his job in stopping their defenders carrying the ball into midfield. thus we needed another midfielder. Some people have been blinded by the idea it’s Luton and they supposedly despite being one of the best teams in the champ for the last 2 years couldn’t possibly be well organised and capable of beating people on their day.

We had a bad day, awful at the start, he changed things we were getting better. Stupid sending off makes it difficult, but having got in front barring one of the worst decisions of the season according to Danny Murphy who hates us Sa doesn’t have a save to make we switched formation and were going to win the game.
Ahh yes, footballing genius Danny Murphy said something so it must be true hahaha the bloke is thick as muck! They smashed the post and had two chances inside the first three mins of the half, Infact our goal came off the third sight of goal they had I believe….. you do know they watch every game at the same time on many screens so aren’t exactly focused on ours right?

He took off a striker, so should have replaced with a striker!! You always leave a striker on! Sasa would have been perfect. We tok away our only real chance to snatch a goal of the chance presented itself.

Same happened to JL last season against Southampton, a far better team than Luton. We got better and controlled the game because an experienced manager made the right subs and the right tweaks GO did none of these things.

He made the same “surrender” sub against palace and he did the same many times for Bournemouth. He makes the coward sub to ensure a point. B.traore should have come in for j.Gomes who was blowing out of his ass and chasing shadows at that point! Then brigs on Doyle at the death. GO makes Bruno lage and his subs look like prime fergie!!!!

The red card gives people the convenient excuse that papers over the cracks of an inept performance before the red card. GO was behind edwards every step in that game!

You make so many excuses!! But are simply blind to the fact he has turned our far better squad than he had at Bournemouth into a clone of them and is driving us down at a fantastic speed!!!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So basically his Bournemouth tactics in a post there mate…… how sobering is that!!!!

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So why isn’t he starting with a back three and pushing our WB’s higher? You can’t exist in a game to nullify Luton.

I agree he should start with a back 3, but for some reason he’s following Lopetegui and Lage in persisting with something that doesn’t work

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blokes got a massive inferiority complex that he is slowly passing on to the players.
I find it funny that he is talking about Neto “getting better each week in training” like he and his bunch of inexperienced senior coaches are responsible for Neto getting back to pre-injury Neto.

You couldn’t make it up! He is trying to claim Pedro Neto doing what he did before two horror injuries as something he is doing that no one else has before.

Hahaha bloke is a delusional Nathan Jones clone!

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ahh yes, footballing genius Danny Murphy said something so it must be true hahaha the bloke is thick as muck! They smashed the post and had two chances inside the first three mins of the half, Infact our goal came off the third sight of goal they had I believe….. you do know they watch every game at the same time on many screens so aren’t exactly focused on ours right?

He took off a striker, so should have replaced with a striker!! You always leave a striker on! Sasa would have been perfect. We tok away our only real chance to snatch a goal of the chance presented itself.

Same happened to JL last season against Southampton, a far better team than Luton. We got better and controlled the game because an experienced manager made the right subs and the right tweaks GO did none of these things.

He made the same “surrender” sub against palace and he did the same many times for Bournemouth. He makes the coward sub to ensure a point. B.traore should have come in for j.Gomes who was blowing out of his ass and chasing shadows at that point! Then brigs on Doyle at the death. GO makes Bruno lage and his subs look like prime fergie!!!!

The red card gives people the convenient excuse that papers over the cracks of an inept performance before the red card. GO was behind edwards every step in that game!

You make so many excuses!! But are simply blind to the fact he has turned our far better squad than he had at Bournemouth into a clone of them and is driving us down at a fantastic speed!!!

He took off a striker so should replace with a striker? What absolute nonsense. In your world you only ever replace like for like?

I’ll say again, Luton had their defenders carrying the ball into midfield to overload us, Cunha wasn’t tracking and sasa and Fabio can’t do that job. So he needed the extra midfielder. We had a man less remember. It is completely naive to think you throw on Sasa and lump it up to him and hope it sticks.

Back
Top Bottom