Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is just me who actually thinks we played ok?? Really enjoyed the first half, let them in at the start of the second and was 5 mins from a decent point until Sa ****ed up.

I honestly don’t see how the manager can be blamed for Cunha trying to score with his testicles and Sa kicking the ball straight back to them.

Been a tough set of fixtures so far, hopefully 3 points next week.

I think we were great first half then did our usual not really turn up for the second half.

Said it before, but i feel bad for him. He's not going to succeed here. He isnt a good manager, and he has also been dealt a ****ty hand with whats gone on. Its a recipe for disaster and as it stands now i see nothing but a bottom 3 finish this season.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
14th instead of 15th for example. Not worth getting too worried about, really.

Genuine question for those touting, Edwards or Potter. Can you just remind me what they have won as a manager and what particularly stands out on their CV?

That’s right, the Potter who looked way out of his depth, at Chelsea and Edwards, who’s team is currently sitting rock bottom of the PL.

Be careful what you wish for.

They dont have to have won anything. You can achieve good things in football without actually winning trophies if you exceed your expectations.

When there is actually a genuine debate to be had if big Sam would be an upgrade you know things arent looking good.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They dont have to have won anything. You can achieve good things in football without actually winning trophies if you exceed your expectations.

When there is actually a genuine debate to be had if big Sam would be an upgrade you know things arent looking good.
Remember, lage won the Portuguese league setting goal scoring records…… and that wasn’t good enough for many people on here.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we were great first half then did our usual not really turn up for the second half.

Said it before, but i feel bad for him. He's not going to succeed here. He isnt a good manager, and he has also been dealt a ****ty hand with whats gone on. Its a recipe for disaster and as it stands now i see nothing but a bottom 3 finish this season.
Sorry but he applied for the role and told them he was ok with the framework the role and it isn’t like there’s not a mountain of stories, articles and two JL interviews to watch……

He was well informed when he took the job, I don’t feel sorry for anyone who takes a job when the issues facing the new hire are so publicly available.

King Henry VIII

Groupie
Reaction score
You could also say that it was fairly obvious the way we would setup so why was Klopp so unprepared for it first half and why couldn't he change things during that first half, he had to wait until half time. He was lucky it was only 1-0. Klopp is heralded as one of the best managers in the world whereas O'Neil gets labelled a PE teacher is my point

Klopp didn't change anything until halftime because he had the luxury of not doing so. Lucky it but, the fact is it was only 1-0.

For all our great play in the first half we again created very little in the way of quality chances. Obviously Cunha's fluff had a big impact on our position but the fact is he did **** it up and so Liverpool weren't in that desperate a position.

So they go in at halftime only a goal down, Klopp makes changes in personnel and tactics (which have been very well explained by @KBWWFC , @Slothmonkey , et al) and gives his players some clear instruction for the second half. Klopp is probably fairly confident at that point that they can get at least one goal. It was almost immediately apparent that these changes were effective and the balance of play has shifted massively in Liverpool's favour.

O'Neil seemed to identify that there was a problem (it would've been pretty difficult not to, we were getting pumped) but his answer was wholly inadequate. It isn't GON's fault that Cunha didn't take his chance, and I have a fair bit of sympathy for him having joined a club in seeking chaos. However, he is the manager and you can't manage based on what ifs, you have to deal with the reality at hand. The reality was that we weren't 2 or 3 up, and we were struggling to get any foothold in the game in the second half.

We are not a team that can afford to throw away points from a winning position in any game. We may not always be able to stop it, that's the beauty of football, but it would help if we didn't make it harder for ourselves. We are starting to see a trend of poor organisation and poor subs that are consistently costing us points.

You may say that we didn't expect much from this run if games ahead of time, and that is correct, but the reality is we have been in positions in almost every match where we could have taken something if we had just managed the situation properly. Every Time we **** that up it makes the "easier" matches even more important and more pressurised. And if we then don't get the result we want in those matches (and again, the beauty of football is that results don't always go as you'd expect) we are in a truly difficult position.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are accepting relegation…. So you are ok with that? I am not…..

He isn’t good enough, so why stick with him and make relegation even more likely?

Playing so well for him we have played like drains and conceded 11 in his short tenure and only one good half outside of the United game that he couldn’t have influenced due to being in post 24 hours.
My question still stands, so we boot O Neil, Shi and Fosun are shopping for managers at Aldi, which bargain basement appointment do you want next, and remember they have to be cheap and compliant.

bigwolf

Reaction score

Genuine question for those touting, Edwards or Potter. Can you just remind me what they have won as a manager and what particularly stands out on their CV?

That’s right, the Potter who looked way out of his depth, at Chelsea and Edwards, who’s team is currently sitting rock bottom of the PL.

Has anyone seriously suggested rob Edwards?

If so it should be an immediate ban.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My question still stands, so we boot O Neil, Shi and Fosun are shopping for managers at Aldi, which bargain basement appointment do you want next, and remember they have to be cheap and complian.
Dean smith applied and he is a better manager than GO.

Will be a challenge to get the fans to accept him, but to think GO is a better manager than him is mind bending.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Get rid,shouldn't have been appointed in the first place notgoodenough.There's someone out there who would be ideal for us, he's a top manager and out of work, LOPETEGUI

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dean smith applied and he is a better manager than GO.

Will be a challenge to get the fans to accept him, but to think GO is a better manager than him is mind bending.
I didn’t say O Neil was a good manager, however at this moment in time, the issues above O Neil are greater. Fosun and Shi have a completely unpredictable mentality, what were they thinking first appointing Lopetegui and then falling out with him and eventually appointing O Neil.
We needed to be a conservative club spending what we can afford at the time we arrived in the Premier league, their ineptitude with all football matters us off the scale.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anyone seriously suggested rob Edwards?

If so it should be an immediate ban.
If Luton hadn’t have gone up he’d be our manager now as Hobbs is in love with him.

Reactions: Ian

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember, lage won the Portuguese league setting goal scoring records…… and that wasn’t good enough for many people on here.
Didn’t he take over a good Benfica team half way through that season but was sacked half way through the following season?

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one thing I will say in GON’s defence is that for 45 minutes yesterday, I was more entertained than I have been watching Wolves at any time in the last 72 month.
I believe that on that evidence alone that there is hope.
Agree with above, just don’t understand why we sat 2nd half yesterday, Liverpool yesterday were poor defensively with an exceptional forward line, the best form of defence would have been to attack, almost like either O Neil, the players or both lost confidence.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score

Potter got screwed by Tod beoly, a nuisance of a owner who thought he could buy a team to challenge for the title. Potter was on a hiding to nothing trying to integrate 600 million pounds of new signings. How many managers since potter. I rest my case

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs was the one back then who suggested beale i am scared he is gonna appoint another **** english manager
Fat Frank any worse? Not sure he is
Big Sam any worse? No way he’s a tactician
Dean smith any worse? Not sure he is
Potter - not ready to return to football
Scott Parker - same level as GON
Chris Wilder - any worse? Not sure
Paul Ince - any worse? Not sure
Ian Holloway - any worse? Not sure
Mick McCarthy any worse? No way, he’s a fighter
Alex McLeish - any worse? He knows how to win a cup!
Roy Keane - any worse? I think he would get a reaction from players
Hassenhuttl - any worse? No he’s tactically smart

Final shortlist

1 big sam - fighter experienced
2 big mick - fighter experienced
3 Hassenhuttl- experienced & tactical
4 mcleish - fighter experienced

ALL 4 better than what we currently have. My word how the mighty have fallen…..

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And in the end they were right, he was **** here, and that is probably all that matters to a Wolves fan

Yorkshire Wolf

Reaction score
Gary O'Neil's last nine games as prem manager across last season and this season.

Played nine.

Won one.

Lost eight.

Scored 6

Conceded 19

Hello championship. :)
Oh dear wonder if he acknowledges his poor record or just stays deluded in ignorance

Back
Top Bottom