Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Palace verdict

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s easier for me to list the positives:
  • Neto miles better on the left, two assists, great. I can see him and Sasa being our Raul and Traore of old.
  • Sasa will score goals with service, defenders can’t get near him in the air. Hopefully he’s closer to being match fit in another couple of weeks.
  • Gomes and Lemina showed some fight against a very physical Palace midfield. Both grew tired late on, I didn’t mind the Boubacar sub to try and help, but damage was done by that point.
  • Sa made some fine saves in the second half to prevent it being far worse than 3-2, which doesn’t paint a fair picture of it, in spite of his stupidity in the first half.
That’s about it really. I’d start Neto on the left and Sasa up top against Liverpool. If Sasa can’t play 90, then start Fraser up top. Every other position could change for all I care.

Gary if you’re reading this, please don’t start Cunha or Silva as a centre forward again, it’s so difficult to watch them try to hold the ball up against Premier League centre halves. It’s not playing to their strengths at all.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s easier for me to list the positives:
  • Neto miles better on the left, two assists, great. I can see him and Sasa being our Raul and Traore of old.
  • Sasa will score goals with service, defenders can’t get near him in the air. Hopefully he’s closer to being match fit in another couple of weeks.
  • Gomes and Lemina showed some fight against a very physical Palace midfield. Both grew tired late on, I didn’t mind the Boubacar sub to try and help, but damage was done by that point.
  • Sa made some fine saves in the second half to prevent it being far worse than 3-2, which doesn’t paint a fair picture of it, in spite of his stupidity in the first half.
That’s about it really. I’d start Neto on the left and Sasa up top against Liverpool. If Sasa can’t play 90, then start Fraser up top. Every other position could change for all I care.

Gary if you’re reading this, please don’t start Cunha or Silva as a centre forward again, it’s so difficult to watch them try to hold the ball up against Premier League centre halves. It’s not playing to their strengths at all.
In fairness.. it was 1-1 when Boubacar came on.. the damage wasn’t yet done. It soon was though.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, that was at Molineux.. we lost at Palace, they scored a quick two goals in second half

Similarly waltzing through our defence again.

Ah, my bad. Yes you’re right we lost there with an even more inexperienced coach in charge. Funny that.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if we learned anything new today, but...

We collapse under pressure and always look like giving a goal away;

We look comfortable with the ball but have absolutely no idea what to do in final third;

Our fans can be a tad negative from time to time.
Tad is an understatement.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're always poor against Palace. They're probably the closest side to us: workmanlike across the pitch with lively wide players/playmakers and strikers who struggle to score. But their creative players are so much sharper than ours, and their defence is less prone to howlers.

That said, I thought we were the better side til we equalised, then it went to pot. Have to question our fitness (and that's on Lop, not O'Neill).

Really think we need to go with a back three. Kilman can then defend on the front foot with cover behind him if he's turned. It would blunt Neto, mind, and I don't see how we'd get him and Bellegarde into the team with a back three.

Sarabia would probably look a million dollars playing for a team with sharp pass and move football, or against Blackpool, but he is so ill-suited to our style (as MGW was). We urgently need one of Bellegarde or Gonzales to get up to speed quickly.

I guess the positives are that we took our chances for once.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then what?
It can’t be all on Gary…….we haven’t been able to score last 3 seasons.
Even, Lopetegui , who took over before the WC couldn’t get us scoring and our defending wasn’t great either.
We won home games under lop, I’ve called this, we will have 0 points from our first 5 home games! We needed the points from the easier away games! At least under lop we beat Liverpool spurs villa Chelsea’s at home, with gormless gary we won’t get a point!!

Bury your head as much as you want, if I saw fight I’d have encouragements but there’s not even that, we are doomed

Last edited:

Madmalc

Reaction score
We don't usually win away at Palace.
We lost 3-2.
It's arguably our most hard fought for loss at Palace.
Not a good second half, but how many times has Roy Hodgson beaten our other managers.
We went down fighting.
A round of applause for Gary and the team from me.
We need to become more clinical in front of goal.
Hopefully GON will get some time to coach most of the team during the international break, something he wasn't here to do much before these 3 games and I expect us to come back stronger.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he didn’t play after 4 assists during the week many would’ve kicked off
No assists today.
Only desists from the first whistle.
Trots around doing nothing.

On the brighter side we are still a point better than this time last season

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're always poor against Palace. They're probably the closest side to us: workmanlike across the pitch with lively wide players/playmakers and strikers who struggle to score. But their creative players are so much sharper than ours, and their defence is less prone to howlers.

That said, I thought we were the better side til we equalised, then it went to pot. Have to question our fitness (and that's on Lop, not O'Neill).

Really think we need to go with a back three. Kilman can then defend on the front foot with cover behind him if he's turned. It would blunt Neto, mind, and I don't see how we'd get him and Bellegarde into the team with a back three.

Sarabia would probably look a million dollars playing for a team with sharp pass and move football, or against Blackpool, but he is so ill-suited to our style (as MGW was). We urgently need one of Bellegarde or Gonzales to get up to speed quickly.

I guess the positives are that we took our chances for once.

Our fitness looked fine against United?

bigwolf

Reaction score
GON = Lage MK2.

He will be gone by end of October and more than a chance by end of Sept with our run if games.

We need to revert to a hack three. As much as it pains me to say we are not effective with four at the back under GON stewardship.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if we learned anything new today, but...

We collapse under pressure and always look like giving a goal away;

We look comfortable with the ball but have absolutely no idea what to do in final third;

Our fans can be a tad negative from time to time.
The fans at the ground were behind the team.... After the game though the mutterings were pretty grim....

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm hoping that our new signings mean Kilman and Sarabia are history. Weak links today. Weak links most days. Powder puff today. Surely, after 5 seasons in the PL we should have a better manager than GON. How on earth are we here?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We lost 3-2.
Not a good second half, but how many times has Roy Hodgson beaten our other managers.
We went down fighting.
Hopefully GON will get some time to coach most of the team during the international break, something he wasn't here to do much before these 3 games and I expect us to come back stronger.
Ok Gary.... or is it Shaun?

T

TheConcourse

Very tedious reading the GON out comments. He picked a decent team and for an hour we were the better team.

As always we couldn't find a clinical pass. In the end 3-2 flattered us.

Also Sarabia is a waste of space, Traore is hopeless and Kilman is no captain.
You say tedious, but he picked Sarabia and brought Traore on. Maybe not that tedious.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We lost 3-2.
We went down fighting.
The last thing the team needs is O Neil coaching them

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON = Lage MK2.

He will be gone by end of October and more than a chance by end of Sept with our run if games.

We need to revert to a hack three. As much as it pains me to say we are not effective with four at the back under GON stewardship.
They wont (cant) sack him. Who on earth would want to work for jeff shi after seeing JL walk? Only idiots like GON

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, that was at Molineux.. we lost at Palace, they scored a quick two goals in second half

Similarly waltzing through our defence again.
In fairness they're very good at "waltzing", it's almost their trademark.
Run at defences, have a referee who favours the home side and you're quids in.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he didn’t play after 4 assists during the week many would’ve kicked off
Not really, he got 4 assists against the second string of a league one team……

Massive difference in level of competition between midweek and today.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know Podence has burnt his bridges, but I'd much rather him in the team than Sarabia. I'd even give young Enso a go before him, if he plays on the same side.

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We just look so half ***** in possession, no energy and no idea what to do with the ball. Final ball is generally awful in the final third.

Wigan Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If GON had picked Podence and he’d sat in a chair reading a book in the centre circle for 90 minutes he would have had more impact than Sarabia.
Why he selected him, thus effectively reducing us to 10 men from the kick off is a mystery.
Sarabia offers literally nothing, and deprives someone else of doing better.
Absolutely spot on.
It’s liking playing with ten players. Unfortunately for Sarabia we don’t play Blackpool every week

Stourwolf

Reaction score
We are not great in any part of the pitch. In defence always look like giving a goal away, not much creativity in midfield and powder puff up front.
the squad just lacks real quality.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Positives we scored 2 goals against a very poor crystal Palace team

Yet most neutrals would rate Eze, Edouard (and Olise, of course, when fit) as way better than our equivalents in attack. For me, that's the difference between the 2 sides. They may have had only 1 attack for every 10 of ours, but they did so much more with it. Had our defenders back pedalling, risking fouls etc. Where most of ours ended with us slowing down and passing the ball sideways about 25 yards out. Or misplacing a pass.

For all the criticism of our defence, Palace *caused* us problems. At the other end, all their defenders had to do was mostly stay organised and wait for us to mess it up ourselves. Fairly sure even our defence looks good when opponents slow down and pass backwards. Or put the ball way out wide and stop for a while allowing 10 defenders to get back, sit down around a blackboard and work out where each needs to stand!

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know Podence has burnt his bridges, but I'd much rather him in the team than Sarabia. I'd even give young Enso a go before him, if he plays on the same side.
Don't know whether there is any way back for Podence, but I think he could be very useful to us at the moment.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We lost 3-2.
We went down fighting.

Once again living up to your name.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because we lost and the amount of body language experts on here is rising by the hour
So the body language experts have **** all experience then.
I didn't want GON but we've got him
Are you saying that the players aren't trying for him. If that's the case, in my experience, that's when injuries are suffered.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness.. it was 1-1 when Boubacar came on.. the damage wasn’t yet done. It soon was though.
I meant that they were already out on their feet (Lemina/Gomes), and a Palace goal felt inevitable with us having no ball over the top to release some of the pressure.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I meant that they were already out on their feet (Lemina/Gomes), and a Palace goal felt inevitable with us having no ball over the top to release some of the pressure.
Ah right.. yeah, you are totally right about that. They looked a yard off pace at the end

Back
Top Bottom