Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Comedy half time team talk

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought his comments about having a plan to protect Semedo against Mitoma probably related to what happened if he went inside and maybe Gomes was supposed to help more. Maybe that was directed at Neto, who was jogging back from halfway. If that was his plan then I'm even more worried!

The deeper thing is that it maybe relates to the Derry/Viera situation. Like it or not modern professional players expect to be treated with respect as if they are actually trying to achieve the same thing as the manager! 'Piling into them' at half time is never going to work when you've got average coaches who were average players talking to internationals.
That’s another reason it made no sense for Neto to be on the right

Nunes should have been used there to double up on Mitoma and get forward from deep when he could

And Neto on the left with ability to stay forward knowing Milner isn’t going to bombing up and down

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Very simple explanation. It's the first time, since Nuno first started, that wolves first team haven't had a half-time warm-up session, when they've come out for the second half.
Nuno did it, Bruno did it, JLo did it, GaryO didn't do it and they were flat footed.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Comments on "body language" will often get derided, and sometimes rightly so, but it very much looks like there was stuff said behind closed doors that did NOT go down well. Neto's a moody beggar at the best of times, but he looks thoroughly deflated there. Went in heads up, came out heads down.
Neto deflated, I was deflated with his lack of defensive work when they had the ball, if he wants to watch, buy a ticket like the rest of us.

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
No one on here knows what was said at HT. So how come GON and Derry are being blamed for the lacklustre walk back on to the pitch ?
If professional footballer are going to sulk or cry after a telling off, then I suggest they need to toughen up, top level sport is brutal.
If an old style *******ing has happened, so what, take it, argue your case back and get on with it, don’t sulk, prove them wrong.
It looks like we need a bit of backbone in the team.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No one on here knows what was said at HT. So how come GON and Derry are being blamed for the lacklustre walk back on to the pitch ?
If professional footballer are going to sulk or cry after a telling off, then I suggest they need to toughen up, top level sport is brutal.
If an old style *******ing has happened, so what, take it, argue your case back and get on with it, don’t sulk, prove them wrong.
Not sure motivational speaking is your thing.

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
Not sure motivational speaking is your thing.
No mate it’s not. But sometimes an arm around the shoulder isn’t the answer.
I would have thought the motivational speech was before the game, along with instructions of what your job is. If that player does not then do what was asked of him then *******ing is not out of order. Bless the little cherubs.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As I just said elsewhere. If it’s true that the players got a *******ing at HT and that’s resulted in their heads going down and us losing the game, then yes it’s on the coaches, not the players. There is a time and a place for tough love, and while it obviously happens in dressing rooms at HT, it can’t be delivered at HT by coaches who the players have barely had time to get to know, and who don’t have a long career of success. That opportunity comes later, when players have developed trust in the coaches and what they’re trying to do. Players won’t feel able to speak up for themselves or defend their teammates to the coaches when they’ve only met just over a week ago. In the short term, coaches need to be supportive before and during the games, and work on performance or tactical issues on the training pitch.

When it’s early days, trying tough love during games will, more often than not, just alienate the players and lead to poor performances on the pitch, like the one we saw second half. That in turn leads to a loss of confidence in the players, and a lack of trust in the coaching staff. GON should know that from his coaching training, but perhaps was fooled by the situation at Bournemouth last season, when his prior role as assistant gave him the foundation on which to be firm when he first took over as first team coach.

I’m genuinely hoping what we saw on Saturday wasn’t the result of a HT hairblower, because it could result in things quIckly returning to Lage levels of player demotivation and disinterest.

loppers86

Reaction score
because they are the coaching team.

It doesn’t matter what was or wasn’t said, it’s one of the most important aspects of their job that the the team are united, motivated and up for the fight?

To a man we walked out looking like we were thinking “right that’s it! i can’t be ***** with this rubbish any more”.

And then we played like we couldn’t be ***** either.

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
Sussex Wolf, you mention the players turning against Lage, they’ve allegedly sulked already under GON, we got battered 5-0 and 6-0 under JLO, it seems to me we’ve got a spineless bunch of softies playing for us. These players can’t keep putting in poor performances and not accept any comeback, yet seek all the glory after a win.

Longford Wolf

Reaction score

It doesn’t matter what was or wasn’t said, it’s one of the most important aspects of their job that the the team are united, motivated and up for the fight?

To a man we walked out looking like we were thinking “right that’s it! i can’t be ***** with this rubbish any more”.

If they walked on the pitch thinking that, then they all need sacking. They should give everything for the badge and the fans, it’s what they get paid a fortune for.

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
Or maybe they just think his tactics are **** and he doesn’t know with he’s talking about.
Or maybe they aren’t good enough to carry out his tactics. I’m not saying GON is our saviour, I’m just sick to death of watching these players put in **** display after **** display and taking no accountability.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It could well be partly on the new coaching team and partly on the players.

Whatever and whoever, they've got to come together for the good of the team and - not least - you and me, the fans.

The senior coaches and senior players need to sit down and sort it out given that all of them - ALL of them - are taking home money that, quite probably, everyone on here can only dream of.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sussex Wolf, you mention the players turning against Lage, they’ve allegedly sulked already under GON, we got battered 5-0 and 6-0 under JLO, it seems to me we’ve got a spineless bunch of softies playing for us. These players can’t keep putting in poor performances and not accept any comeback, yet seek all the glory after a win.

The trouble is we don’t have the luxury of a whole set of players we can bin and start again, so that’s not an option, even if it actually worked.

I’m not saying they don’t necessarily need to develop some backbone, but there is a time and a place, and more effective ways of doing it than ripping them one in a HT team talk. Coaches who can do it have earned the respect and trust of the players, either through their work there or through their careers. GON has done neither yet. That’s not a criticism, just a statement of where he is in his career and time at Wolves.

There are teams bigger and smaller than us where coaches lose the dressing room through ill-considered handling of players, and it never ends well for the coach or the club. Heck we’ve seen enough of it at Wolves in the past, and it didn’t end well before. Leicester are themselves the most recent example at this level. FA Cup winners to relegation in two seasons because the coach lost the trust and respect of his players, and the club couldn’t afford to replace the squad.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I just said elsewhere. If it’s true that the players got a *******ing at HT and that’s resulted in their heads going down and us losing the game, then yes it’s on the coaches, not the players. There is a time and a place for tough love, and while it obviously happens in dressing rooms at HT, it can’t be delivered at HT by coaches who the players have barely had time to get to know, and who don’t have a long career of success. That opportunity comes later, when players have developed trust in the coaches and what they’re trying to do. Players won’t feel able to speak up for themselves or defend their teammates to the coaches when they’ve only met just over a week ago. In the short term, coaches need to be supportive before and during the games, and work on performance or tactical issues on the training pitch.

When it’s early days, trying tough love during games will, more often than not, just alienate the players and lead to poor performances on the pitch, like the one we saw second half. That in turn leads to a loss of confidence in the players, and a lack of trust in the coaching staff. GON should know that from his coaching training, but perhaps was fooled by the situation at Bournemouth last season, when his prior role as assistant gave him the foundation on which to be firm when he first took over as first team coach.

I’m genuinely hoping what we saw on Saturday wasn’t the result of a HT hairblower, because it could result in things quIckly returning to Lage levels of player demotivation and disinterest.
Re your last para Shi and Hobbs could very rapidly find that their choice is GON and Derry or the players if things go bad.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well like it or not they are their bosses so get on with it or **** off

You earn respect you don't just get it because of a job title. I'm sure that our international players are well impressed with GON and Derry's journeymen careers.

I'm sure that lots of the players will do exactly that. Watch us sink without a ****ing trace then. Shi lost us a manager to save his face, now you want us to potentially lose a team to save their faces....

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If any of them thought “right that’s it! i can’t be ***** with this rubbish any more” then they can **** off.

If a half time talk is uninspiring and the team come out uninspired, then that's on the coaches. However, if they feel somehow aggrieved at what's been said in the dressing room and that grievance plays out as mardy behaviour then that's completely unprofessional. Cunha continued to play his socks off but I do wonder about some of the others...

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol amazing what gets micro analysed when losing a game. I’m sure if we’d gently jogged out the tunnel like Brighton then we’d have won 4-1 instead
I take your point, but they did look a tad deflated, or at least that's it came over to me.
I've always liked the approach where we're out first and anxious to get on with things.
I know, I'm living in the past.......

EastDorsetWolf

Reaction score
Very depressing if please players were 'bawled out' at h/t in our 1st home game of the season. I thought those days were gone. Veira dismissed Derry for this at Palace. Although none of us know exactly what happened, the way they ambled out for the 2nd half tells you something went on. If this continues GON will lose the dressing very quickly indeed.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto looks like he’s had a *******ing and has come out sulking, Sa tapping him on the shoulder almost confirms that.

Regardless of what the manager has said at half time they look like a sulky bunch who clearly don’t react well to adversity.

Can you imagine them walking out like that if Coady was around the place?

Back
Top Bottom