Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Optimism

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Suspect I’m in a minority here, but I’m feeling fairly optimistic for the new season.

JL: Julen is firmly in place and on board. I reckon this bloke knows exactly what he’s doing and is a top notch manager.

Returning players: Hopefully, the likes of Neto, Traore, Sasa, Chiquinho and Fabio will get a chance to shine (half a team with zero expenditure).

Maturing players: We’ve got quite a few with that all important first season (or a good part of one) under their belts now. Really hoping the likes of Cunha, Gomes, Lemina, Sarabia and Toti can start to step up.

Money: Poor management means we haven’t got a pot to piddle in this summer. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Wolves fans more than most should know that money spent on players doesn’t necessarily equal success. Sometimes it focuses the mind.

The Doc: Think he’s gonna surprise a few next season. Interesting to hear that JL really wanted him. Be nice to see a full back that doesn’t have a nose bleed when he passes the half way line.

Here’s hoping...

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would consider myself more optimistic than most too, for most of the reasons you listed above. If we get Alex Scott and Nico Elvedi in as rumoured, I think we've had a really good start to the window, with FFP having been accounted for.

I still worry that we don't have a centre forward that can hold up the ball and bring others into play. Sasa could be that man but coming off two ACL's who knows how long he'll last. Silva may be the answer but I have my doubts, fingers firmly crossed he has a big preseason and proves me wrong, I'd be as delighted as anyone.

I really think we'll see big second years from the likes of Nunes, Cunha, Sarabia, and Gomes, now they've settled.

Loojay

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I would consider myself more optimistic than most too, for most of the reasons you listed above. If we get Alex Scott and Nico Elvedi in as rumoured, I think we've had a really good start to the window, with FFP having been accounted for.

I still worry that we don't have a centre forward that can hold up the ball and bring others into play. Sasa could be that man but coming off two ACL's who knows how long he'll last. Silva may be the answer but I have my doubts, fingers firmly crossed he has a big preseason and proves me wrong, I'd be as delighted as anyone.

I really think we'll see big second years from the likes of Nunes, Cunha, Sarabia, and Gomes, now they've settled.
Agreed on all points, up the happy clappers

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

Agreed

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree, I am also optimistic. Not of an exceptional season, but of an ok, middle of the table, finishing 10th/11th type season. I think Nunes, Sarabia, Cunha will have benefited from their baptism last season and I think the youngsters like Gomes, Toti and Bueno will also all be better.
I also think that, with better service from midfield and a more front foot approach, our forwards will score more.
Don’t get me wrong, there are concerns over our fwd line and the fitness of Sasa, Raul and Neto and the financial situation is a concern but I think that Hobbs has a handle on things, with people outlined to come in, whether that’s Scott or someone else for eg. And on the subject of incomings, I am also optimistic based on the posts of one or two posters on here who seem to have some knowledge (Disco, NW, Northampton, probably). Hope I have not jinxed them or things!

Last edited:

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have been really down about it for a long time, but I think that was more of a spill over from losing both my mom and dad in seven week period.

I am starting to think more positively now. I do worry about our goal scoring. I really want them to get Scott. I just think we need that drive from the centre.

As others have said I am hoping for a big season from Nunes in particular. I also think JLo will show his quality once he can get a full preseason with the squad. Neto, sasa, Chiquinho, and Boubs should all get more game time.

We don't need a lot of additions to have a good season. I am delighted with Doc, it should push that oxygen theif Semedo to up his game if nothing else.

I still think they are taking the **** a bit with all this FFP business. It is real, but move on Pedonce, Jonny, RAN, Silva, Jiminez and a few other fringe players you could see another £40m being added to the kitty.

£25m on Scott, £8m on Elvedi, and £15m on a Striker (I wouldn't be too upset with Che Adams) would be fine, we would still be well in the black.

I am expecting a mid table finish, but I think we have a very hard start.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not sure its so much optimism but more intrigue. I’m looking forward to see what will happen and what JLo has been working on.

I do think we will have a change in style and approach to games. After the last few seasons it’s been needed.

Actually can’t wait for the season to start.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to it, I like that we seem to be going after all types of players, youth that can develop (Scott), players who are just coming into their peak power (Elvedi) and experienced players to set the standard and tone within a dressing (Doherty & Cresswell). I would like to see improvement in the goalkeeping department but content if Sa stays and it is more than a gut feeling that the answer to our striking problems is a bit like Spurs with Harry Kane all them years ago, we already had the answer right under our nose.

I will say, it looks to be a very happy camp.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score

You nailed exactly how I'm feeling at the moment.

Alex Scott as an understudy for the advanced midfielder role and potential future stud - homegrown bonus.
Elvedi as the backup/competition for Dawson, can cover RB, and cheaper, yet more experienced than Collins and a better passer - nice pickup for under 10 million.
Doc as the backup/competition for Semedo, more offensive nous, and free - homegrown bonus.
Cresswell as the backup/competition for Bueno, cheap, experienced - homegrown bonus.

Now, we need a number 9 IF Raul cannot physically play to expectations - JL to make the call. No one else (Hwang, Cunha, Fabio, Sasa) can be relied upon to be physical enough to be a hold-up style striker (Out of the four, Sasa might be the best bet, but coming off of injury...). Worst case is that we keep Raul, but that means that JL believes that Raul has healed enough to be the guy up top - certainly, Raul looked pretty lively in pre-season last summer before injuring his groin and he never looked the same again, bar the Fulham game. On the other hand, if JL doesn't think he has what he needs, then I would expect the team to move Raul on and we pick up a striker, probably in the experienced mode. If JL assesses Fabio and doesn't want him AND we get a good enough offer, then he'll be moved on - I suspect that we might go for a developing striker to replace him.

I then think that if we move on other attackers (Podence, for example), we might consider acquiring in up-and-coming forward to develop.

GK will come in if/when we get a decent offer for Sa. Hopefully, someone who can play with his feet and be comfortable with a high line.

Definitely have a feeling that Cunha, Sarabia, Nunes, and Gomes will all be much better in the new season - all have something to prove and they are already having good preseasons.

By the way, the homegrown bonus of backup additions will allow us to find the best striker, regardless of HG status.

Loojay

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have been really down about it for a long time, but I think that was more of a spill over from losing both my mom and dad in seven week period.

I am starting to think more positively now. I do worry about our goal scoring. I really want them to get Scott. I just think we need that drive from the centre.

As others have said I am hoping for a big season from Nunes in particular. I also think JLo will show his quality once he can get a full preseason with the squad. Neto, sasa, Chiquinho, and Boubs should all get more game time.

We don't need a lot of additions to have a good season. I am delighted with Doc, it should push that oxygen theif Semedo to up his game if nothing else.

I still think they are taking the **** a bit with all this FFP business. It is real, but move on Pedonce, Jonny, RAN, Silva, Jiminez and a few other fringe players you could see another £40m being added to the kitty.

£25m on Scott, £8m on Elvedi, and £15m on a Striker (I wouldn't be too upset witChe Adams) would be fine, we would still be well in the black.

Horrible to hear buddy. Hope you are doing as well as you can do.

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

£25m on Scott, £8m on Elvedi, and £15m on a Striker (I wouldn't be too upset with Che Adams) would be fine, we would still be well in the black.

I missed your sad news, condolences.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Suspect I’m in a minority here, but I’m feeling fairly optimistic for the new season.

JL: Julen is firmly in place and on board. I reckon this bloke knows exactly what he’s doing and is a top notch manager.

Returning players: Hopefully, the likes of Neto, Traore, Sasa, Chiquinho and Fabio will get a chance to shine (half a team with zero expenditure).

Maturing players: We’ve got quite a few with that all important first season (or a good part of one) under their belts now. Really hoping the likes of Cunha, Gomes, Lemina, Sarabia and Toti can start to step up.

Money: Poor management means we haven’t got a pot to piddle in this summer. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Wolves fans more than most should know that money spent on players doesn’t necessarily equal success. Sometimes it focuses the mind.

The Doc: Think he’s gonna surprise a few next season. Interesting to hear that JL really wanted him. Be nice to see a full back that doesn’t have a nose bleed when he passes the half way line.

Here’s hoping...
Optimism is banned on the mix. Mods, delete thread.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first 10 matches are very important. Its a confidence thing.
I dont know what to expect. But we need to score .

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve been a long tone happy clapper (as positive people are known) on here, I’m really pessimistic this time, sorry we’ve no goals in us whatsoever, I see us going down and this is massively not like me

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui is a top coach but our squad currently has a lot of holes in and will likely end the window still lacking in quality in forward areas. Going to be a case of grinding out some 1-0's at home again if we want to finish midtable and not be in and around the relegation zone again, won't make for pretty viewing.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can help but feel that the expectations are to do enough to keep us in the PL until they can find a new owner. The lofty ambitions of fosun turning us into the new Man City are well and truly in the past.
Agreed, I'm just surprised that FOSUN aren't looking to sell a majority stake as things stand but rather a minority one. Can see why there's been no takers so far, can't see anyone wanting to buy some of and then pump money into the club without having effective control.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui is a top coach but our squad currently has a lot of holes in and will likely end the window still lacking in quality in forward areas. Going to be a case of grinding out some 1-0's at home again if we want to finish midtable and not be in and around the relegation zone again, won't make for pretty viewing.
Exactly this and then it's just a question how long JL lasts.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed, I'm just surprised that FOSUN aren't looking to sell a majority stake as things stand but rather a minority one. Can see why there's been no takers so far, can't see anyone wanting to buy some of and then pump money into the club without having effective control.
It'll be because they will want the lion share of the takings when it sells proper.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve been a long tone happy clapper (as positive people are known) on here, I’m really pessimistic this time, sorry we’ve no goals in us whatsoever, I see us going down and this is massively not like me
Yep, absolutely stink of relegation. All the signs are there.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's either a car crash or a "Where did that come from?" season coming up, I think. Down by springtime and losing only 6-0 to Brighton this time seeming a fond memory; or in with a chance of Europe. You can certainly imagine the former happening - Shawcross as our new Luzhny moment, no goals, and Lopetegui in Saudi by Xmas. But I'm actually more towards the latter - we've got a top manager, some very good players, some hopefully-will-and-really-now-should-come-very-good players, a good mix now of youthful vigour and older heads, and there's a sense we're tightening up & sharpening up & gearing up & wising up right through the club.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve sold a few players for decent cash without impacting much on the first team. We’ve got a good coach and some decent players returning from injury/loan (sasa, chiquinho, silva, giles, cundle). We also have a cohort of players who could well perform better for us after settling a bit and having a decent pre season or (nunes, sarabia, cunha). The likes of raul and neto could also add something more if they can put the injuries behind them?

We’re trying to bring in new players to add some additional quality and experience, and if we were to add Doc, Elvidi, Scott, Cresswell and perhaps a forward to the mix, our squad I think would look quite decent?

I’d say cautious optimism, but no need for total doom and gloom at this point?

Last edited:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm in the middle. I don't see us going down but I don't see us getting near Europe. JL is too good a coach to allow the former, and the players aren't good enough to get the latter. We'll finish about 13th again.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A few are underestimating us and overestimating them, I think even with what we have got we will be okay, but to push on we need a couple of fresh players.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am normally a pessimist but for some reason I also feel strangely optimistic about this season. But then I also believe I am God's gift to women even though I'm a 40 year old virgin.
I could never be sufficiently sadistic to deprive the fair sex of my gifts .... ;)
However, having read this thread so far it has lifted my spirits, and I can put away my rag doll with its FFP and countless pins decorating it.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will be alright, we are a mid table side and could just squeeze top half if we have some luck but overall i suspect it will be pretty dull again, we are not going to suddenly start scoring a lot more goals I don't think.

Back
Top Bottom