Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is it just me,

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It's an odd thing being a football fan.
When times are lean as (despite the actual success in a long time perspective) they are now, some people stick with it and some people drift away.
When the good times return (as they inevitably do in the cycle that is football) the ones who drift away return. The ones who don't deride them as glory hunters, even though they just stayed because they wanted to, nobody made them if they weren't enjoying it. (take the point about STs though these days).

bigwolf

Reaction score
What you are feeling is something I call premier league fatigue.

Plastic league where sporting meritocracy is a thing of the past. It's a bubble where fans are indoctrinated to believe it is the be all and end all.

But some (usually so called legacy fans) start to have a sense of apathy and boredom realizing it's actually a soulless entity that simply exists to create wealth for others.

Basically a bit like the matrix ha!

I recommend you all going and listen to Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's an odd thing being a football fan.
When times are lean as (despite the actual success in a long time perspective) they are now, some people stick with it and some people drift away.
When the good times return (as they inevitably do in the cycle that is football) the ones who drift away return. The ones who don't deride them as glory hunters, even though they just stayed because they wanted to, nobody made them if they weren't enjoying it. (take the point about STs though these days).
Disagree virtually no-one I know who's been a home/away fan and given up has "drifted" back, indeed turn down the opportunity of a free ticket.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I’ve followed Wolves home and away for as long as I can remember, I’m the same as us all Old Gold and Black through my veins ,for the last couple of years I’ve only gone really for the drink beforehand (not the football) I’ve lost all love for the game , I’ve bought both season tickets for the next season , just curious if any body else feels like this , and will my love come back , I’m normally a very positive person just feel lost ,, ps this is not attention seeking just never been like this about my club
Been having similar thoughts but I don't think mine are Wolves specific, more football in general. Normally during the summer I'm chomping at the bit for the football season to start again but I'm really enjoying a break from football this summer. I'm sure I'll be up for it when the season starts but weirdly I have no interest in football at the moment. Not interested in reading about it, watching it or listening to it. Have zero interest in our possible transfers or our pre-season plans. Been far more interested in The Ashes and have more excitement about the start of the NFL season. Like I said, I don't think it's Wolves specific, although the last few seasons haven't helped. I think the general state of football at the moment, the money, VAR, cost, being able to watch any and every game live, the overkill and nastiness on social media. I just feel like life has been a lot more enjoyable since the season has finished. Maybe it's a different phase in life but it's strange and new because I've been hooked on football since about 5 years old. I'm pretty sure I'll be back into it come August but just not interesting me at the moment.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been having similar thoughts but I don't think mine are Wolves specific, more football in general. Normally during the summer I'm chomping at the bit for the football season to start again but I'm really enjoying a break from football this summer. I'm sure I'll be up for it when the season starts but weirdly I have no interest in football at the moment. Not interested in reading about it, watching it or listening to it. Have zero interest in our possible transfers or our pre-season plans. Been far more interested in The Ashes and have more excitement about the start of the NFL season. Like I said, I don't think it's Wolves specific, although the last few seasons haven't helped. I think the general state of football at the moment, the money, VAR, cost, being able to watch any and every game live, the overkill and nastiness on social media. I just feel like life has been a lot more enjoyable since the season has finished. Maybe it's a different phase in life but it's strange and new because I've been hooked on football since about 5 years old. I'm pretty sure I'll be back into it come August but just not interesting me at the moment.
Great post

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, I've grown weary of the constant diving, cheating and arguing with referees. It seems we rarely get 'end to end' games anymore without some kind of effort to cheat the attacking team out of momentum.

I loathe the constant berating of officials whilst at the same time I cannot understand how a professional refereeing body cannot use technology in a quick and consistent manner to make their job easier and the game fairer.

I would love to see the few players who try to stay on their feet supported by referees despite being fouled. All too often it seems that the referees cave in when someone goes to ground but do nothing when a player tries to stay upright.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're not missing much :D

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to say fair play to those of you that donate 30 odd weekends a year to Wolves, I honestly don't know how you do it.

For me personally, I look forward to game day to a point, which generally is an early am kick off for me out here. That said, it doesn't dictate my weekend, if I have other plans or just want to get out to the wilderness then the game won't stop those plans anymore.

Thankfully for me as well is the fact that I don't have to part with any cash outside of a Peacock subscription.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is no point trying to be positive about it.
We were on the cusp of being genuinely quite good. But since our European adventure we have scored just 105 goals in the last 112 games.
There is no excitement if you know no matter what you do with the ball you aren't likely to score more than one. Hope that changes a bit under Julen this season.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
I’ve followed Wolves home and away for as long as I can remember, I’m the same as us all Old Gold and Black through my veins ,for the last couple of years I’ve only gone really for the drink beforehand (not the football) I’ve lost all love for the game , I’ve bought both season tickets for the next season , just curious if any body else feels like this , and will my love come back , I’m normally a very positive person just feel lost ,, ps this is not attention seeking just never been like this about my club
Bully9 I’m not quite there yet. BUT…I do get it and to be fair last season at times, yes it was more about meeting for a pint and a laugh rather than the game itself.
Match day is I meet up with my son, his mates and my long standing pal and it’s great. Oldies and young guns just talking football, having ya few too many beers and just having a laugh.
It’s the day, the few hours when life is just simple, family time and time with friends.
I’ll follow Wolves to the end. My team in whatever league we’re in…BUT… I get it, we need entertainment and we need to turn up expecting we’ve at least half a chance.
At times last season it felt too often like we’d either Bob Hope or no hope.
I’m hoping that all the outgoings are leading to some incomings that can deliver some hope and recreate something resembling that connection we had under Nuno.
Because I think we need it.
JL may yet return just that. But not without incomings and in those players some hunger, quality and fight…
Match day beers with family and friends, definitely. Some fight, quality and passion on the pitch, we can but hope…
Stay well, stay positive and there’s a beer waiting in The Western if you’re in town come Brighton on 19/8.
COYW!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Going back after Covid felt totally different, and it's still not the same as it was to be honest. The lack of general excitement around the place is still missing for me, though that can be brought back if we try to stop just making up the numbers and stopping up

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
VAR. I swore I wouldn't go and watch another game, even for free, with VAR involved.

And I haven't.

They fundamentally removed the entire point of what makes football football. Liverpool away in the cup, Toti etc. Paying good money to observe a farce taking place miles away from the action? Nah.

Last Wolves game I went to was Gillingham at home in the league cup. It didn't really inspire me to want to go back.

People seem to celebrate signings more than actual football now, maybe because a "here we go" from Big Fab is less likely to get overruled by some officious balloon sat in a porta-cabin measuring toenails against a digital line.

Finch3d

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I feel the same.... its a thought that each season gets slightly stronger. Lots of reasons are fueling it for me, costs increasing, value for money as of late, fosuns now more apparent business strategy of player trading rather than what we craved as a building of something great, the promises of greatness from the early days not coming to fruition as the years tick by. The seamingly rinsing of the fans or should I say customers. Personal things affect it to, like now I have a young family and finding the time sink into game weekends a chore... especially when it's a rubbish display on show makes it harder to justify. I find it harder each season to renew my season ticket... one year I can see me not doing it. I haven't even kept up to date on the rumours for signings, shirt not released yet... ain't bothered. Feels sad being like this, hopefully the season ahead can bring some life back into it for me, we'll see...

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% feel the same , my two lads 15 and 11 both in that early early supporter bubble where they live and breath wolves , i should love it more than ever but i don’t !! I think the 3 years of highs is a big part of it followed by 3 very boring low years where we feel very distanced from the club , those 3 years were awesome and I’ve said more than once it’s the most as one I’ve known the club in my 33 years of going …
The realisation the game isn’t what it once was (as in var etc ) and the fact year on year you can see the atmosphere at games is becoming more and more sanitised are also contributing factors for me …

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said this a few times before but I remember when we went up and signed Mouts (talkSPORT - Adrian Durham - was salivating over the deal and us). A Southampton fan called in and said for us to wait a few years and see whether we are still optimistic when it’s clear how much money needs to be spent to maintain any challenge to European spots like they had for 1 season. He said we would end up a mid table side hoping to get to 40 points and have a cup run every season.

I scoffed at his comments but he was 100% correct.

T

TheConcourse

Yep. Never been as disinterested in the actual football in my life.

Probably the reality of the ultimate high under Nuno, and knowing it’s pretty unlikely to get there again.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's the lack of ambition from the owners settled into that just don't go down mentality . Got a whiff of Saints about the club at the moment treading water waiting for the inevitable. Another big one is the lack of interest in the stadium after all the big promises
The stadium is a strange one, if they want to bring more money into the club, a bigger stadium would help, we would definitely fill it

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's normal. It will ebb and flow. That's why you are a Wolves supporter and not a glory hunter. Chill. Enjoy it for what it is.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said this a few times before but I remember when we went up and signed Mouts (talkSPORT - Adrian Durham - was salivating over the deal and us). A Southampton fan called in and said for us to wait a few years and see whether we are still optimistic when it’s clear how much money needs to be spent to maintain any challenge to European spots like they had for 1 season. He said we would end up a mid table side hoping to get to 40 points and have a cup run every season.

I scoffed at his comments but he was 100% correct.
Yep and then relegation happens.
Just imagine the team Saints would have had had they been able to keep those players. Money talks.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The stadium is a strange one, if they want to bring more money into the club, a bigger stadium would help, we would definitely fill it
Yep brought the club in 2016 and just stuck up the Connor Coady stand with no cover on it .

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the lack of ambition from the owners settled into that just don't go down mentality . Got a whiff of Saints about the club at the moment treading water waiting for the inevitable. Another big one is the lack of interest in the stadium after all the big promises

Spent £200m last season the ambition is there but the brains on how to be successful in the PL isn’t.

It’s the lack of forward thinking and buying the wrong players that’s caused me to lose interest. We are screaming out for a decent DOF and a chairman that knows what he’s doing.
I actually enjoy this time of the year when nearly every weekend doesn't have to be a miserable occasion when the inevitable happens.
this is why I hate it when we play Friday night or Saturday lunch time and 3pm for that matter.

The later we play the better the weekend is lol

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spent £200m last season the ambition is there but the brains on how to be successful in the PL isn’t.

It’s the lack of forward thinking and buying the wrong players that’s caused me to lose interest. We are screaming out for a decent DOF and a chairman that knows what he’s doing.

this is why I hate it when we play Friday night or Saturday lunch time and 3pm for that matter.

The later we play the better the weekend is lol
Fair point I suppose just wasted a ton of it . I'm confident that Hobbs can turn it around in that department .

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair point I suppose just wasted a ton of it . I'm confident that Hobbs can turn it around in that department .

Me to but I don’t think we should underestimate the pull Lopetegui has as well. You can see why they have a good working relationship.

Lose Lopetegui and we could be ****ed as that will send the sounders out to every decent available manager that we can’t give a decent manager the backing he needs to be successful..

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I actually enjoy this time of the year when nearly every weekend doesn't have to be a miserable occasion when the inevitable happens.
Similar for me this off-season. Last season was such a slog, and every point we got was so hard fought and difficult. Felt very drained by the end. Usually I'm counting the days down until the new season starts, but not this time. Enjoying the non-football time for a change.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel similarly. I've renewed but without much enthusiasm. Basically, it's become so boring, like a game of chess. What we could do with is a few games that end 4-3 or 5-1, preferably to us. What we get is an endless succession of 1-0, 1-1s, eking out the odd win till we hit the magic 40 points. Bu-bum. And the cost is starting to be prohibitive for many fans. Grin and bear it....

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR and FFP are totally ruining the game for me. Any pretence of fairness has gone out the window.

Wolves are deadly boring to watch now so I do hope we see a new way of doing things.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me its lost some shine. Still renewed but the STs are a fraction of the cost. Its a 360 mile round trip and a very long day. To watch us play drab football. Tbh i will give my ticket to local mates at least 50% of the time this season. I think where we are is as good as its going to get. That also takes some gloss away. But i still love going away and dont care which division we are in

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think there have been so many 'False Dawns' over the years when we thought 'Yes, we are back' only for it all to fizzle out as we slide back into mediocrity again, that fans have become cynical and stopped believing.
I still think about Wolves a lot and follow the transfer speculation and look forward to matches, but I feel it's almost a kind of inbred habit as much as anything else. Most of the actual games are excruciating to watch, and all I am concerned with is accumulating enough points to avoid relegation.

R

reanswolf

I guess we’ve just reached our perceived ceiling and there is nowhere else to go. Plus the cost is extortionate, which always leaves a sour taste.

Wolves days are still top notch tho and I remind myself of where Blues and Albion and Stoke are. Sometimes a reality check helps.

Woody

Groupie
Reaction score
As season ticket holders for many, many years Wolves have long been something of an obsession for my other half and I.
Sadly, the cost of tickets, the implementation of VAR, and travelling having relocated in Wales for the past few years, has taken its toll.
Despite all of this we were still on the verge of renewing for one more season but seeing Lopetegui repeatedly going public over his issues with the club left a sour taste for us, and our growing detachment from the football of today took a large stride forward as we made the enormous decision to decline our opportunity to renew.
At first we both felt really sad about it and questioned whether we'd done the right thing giving up our precious seats in the North bank but I'm hoping time is a great healer.
I'm sure as we watch on TV this season we'll miss being there for all of the home games but as time passes I'm optimistic that I'll feel more comfortable with the decision that we made.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of it for me comes down to our style of football which by and large has been pretty awful the past 2 to 3 seasons. It has become a chore watching us on numerous occasions. The lack of goals and proper attacking play has played a large part in my opinion. This simply has to change this coming season.

citrus_wolf

Reaction score
I watch every Wolves game from afar and Saturday kick-offs are 6pm/7pm here. Under Bruno I nearly gave up making sure I was home to watch; it was so abject, and we never even looked like coming back when we went behind.

Julen did bring back some of that fizz (the Liverpool league and cup games were the first time I felt excited about Wolves games in ages). I think under Nuno for a time we all got used to that 'anything is possible' feeling, that we could get a result anywhere, against any team. It went from that, to looking at the fixture list and the squad wondering where the points and goals are going to come from.

But as a few have said here, VAR is killing the game for me - and the decisions are not even always accurate. Taking away that spontaneous split second thrill of a goal being scored is a disgrace, it's the very essence of the sport.

boyceywolf

Groupie
Reaction score
VAR,
Offside rules
Handball - nobody knows what a penalty is any more
Poor facilities - Steve Bull stand
Not free to go away matches when I want to but other people selling tickets with their memberships
Knowing we'll finish 10 - 15th (if we are sensible)
Boring football
Expensive
Sorry I had to give it up after watching for 52 years unbroken

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll be honest I’m absolutely buzzing for the new season already, there’s an unpredictable element that you either embrace or it drives you crazy. I’m in the first camp, I’m intrigued as to how we line up, how we’ll play, see how players have progressed, look at returning players, looking at new players WHEN they come. Nothings ever easy with wolves it hasn’t been in my lifetime and that knife edge is exciting. I go against others, the last 6 games under Nuno in the championship were almost boring because even in second gear we brushed teams away. The football has been attritional the last few seasons but that adrenaline rush of hanging in 1-0 in tight games I prefer over just battering teams 4-0.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest though, I just watched that extended training video and it got me a bit excited for the new season. I tend to start the season optimistically. The problem is it is still a bit difficult to know how we are likely to be lining up in the new season because there are so many things to be resolved.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How many is on the waiting list to get a season ticket, I could imagine there's quite a few. They want to be careful, if they keep putting off doing the stadium, they could end up losing a lot of them especially if we continue to struggle

Back
Top Bottom