Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Neves

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why's it detrimental? They'll be in a private international school (same as UK) and living in a luxury compound amongst friends and colleagues. Private jet back home to Portugal or UK at will and it never rains.

Bulls the man

Reaction score
Just watched the video with the wife,she was blubbering and I must admit i had a big lump in the throat.
The sad part for me about Ruben leaving is not just the footballing talent we are loosing,but the character and principles he uphoalds.
The way he has endlessly given 100% on and off the pitch will never be forgotten.
It’s a sad day for us fans but these things happen in football and nobody is bigger than the club.
Time to move on now,not to forget but build the next chapter in our great history.
Thank you Ruben and good luck.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree with Discowolf but someone should start a thread in the political section to discuss those awful Saudi things and not spoil this thread.
It would be lovely if Ruben could leave his family in Wolverhampton and visit frequently. Why not? Clearly they have settled nicely and there's a bond with the community. Kinda like people working overseas, or on oil-rigs for months at a time.
Surely if he's leaving them anywhere it's in Portugal amongst family

People have a very odd perception about what it would be like to live in Saudi based on media coverage of human rights issues

In reality, it's a very opulent places for most natives and western expats.

Sami Al Jabers mates were probably saying the same thing about his family moving to wolvo all those years ago!

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched the video with the wife,she was blubbering and I must admit i had a big lump in the throat.
The sad part for me about Ruben leaving is not just the footballing talent we are loosing,but the character and principles he uphoalds.
The way he has endlessly given 100% on and off the pitch will never be forgotten.
It’s a sad day for us fans but these things happen in football and nobody is bigger than the club.
Time to move on now,not to forget but build the next chapter in our great history.
Thank you Ruben and good luck.
Wonderful post

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Living 200 miles from Mol I see very few Wolves games live.
But I was at Hull City, keeping quiet among the Hull fans.
Barry Douglas passed it about three yards to this lad everyone was excited about...

It'll take a very, very special player to inherit the no. 8 shirt
i wouldn’t go as far to retiring the shirt however i would be very very careful who i give it to going forward, the same way United are with 7.

you have to earn that number more than ever from now on

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say taking your kids to live in Saudi Arabia - I assume they’re going with him - was putting their future, or perhaps more accurately their present, first, but he may have calculated they’ll be leaving SA (after a couple of years?) before they’re of an age for it to be detrimental.
Assuming that his wife and kids live with him in Saudi and not Portugal - he could easily fly there every weekend - there will be high quality international schools and ex-pat kids for company. Most ex-pats live in pretty much closed communities. They will hardly suffer....

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
i wouldn’t go as far to retiring the shirt however i would be very very careful who i give it to going forward, the same way United are with 7.

you have to earn that number more than ever from now on
You beat me to it. My thoughts exactly.

Neves has given the no8 prestige, just as Bully has with no9.

It should not be worn next season.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched it again this morning to the same affect. I was gutted when Jota left but this hits different. Seeing him cry like that tells you all you need to know about him. What a player, what great man, we have been blessed!

Thank you Ruben you legend.
Your goals, your passion will be remembered.
Three years for optimism and dreams to die.....

Looking back, the rot started with Diogo going.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To do this interview and the one on the last day of the season,shows you how much of a connection he had with the club and fans.Jota although a great player for us didn’t quite have the same feeling for us.He was always only here as a stepping stone for the big clubs.And don’t tell me about the players leaving who never turned up for the last game.Ruben you are a true legend.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
thank you for your service to our great club Ruben and some fabulous memories,those goals and raking passes and endless running.even when Ruben had a bit of an off day which was rare he was still one of our better performers.the tribute you paid to everyone from the city,the club,colleagues and importantly the fans seemed heartfelt and honest and not contrived.i would like to wish him and his lovely family every bit of success they deserve, and for anyone to question the move on the basis of just money ask yourself this if you could secure not only your future but your children and very probably their childrens financial security would you take it?the pleasure has been all ours Ruben and if i live long enough i will take you up on the visit to the south bank,all the very best sir,we salute you

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I count myself lucky that I enjoyed every minute (well almost!) of my working life, because I loved my work. In the great scheme of things it was decently paid but nothing special. I could have earned a lot more in a related but different field, but I'm glad I didn't switch. Money isn't everything -- you need enough but you don't need masses, otherwise you spend your life worrying about losing it/ how to invest it. I've met quite a few miserable rich people in my time.

Exactly, everybody is on a different path where they get to choose what they want to do and that is up to them.
Neves obviously loves his work too because he's only changing employer, not vocation.....but his potential is far greater than most of us.
Money is just opportunity once you get above the breadline. Neves is a rich man anyway and seems incredibly level-headed, but by the time he's 30 he will have maximised his opportunity to do more with the last 60 years of his life.

Neves can end up like a David Beckham, brokering a $1.5 billion deal to bring Messi to his football club in Miami....or he could end up like Beckham's predecessor Lee Sharpe running a bar in Spain. Both are probably happy, but one is probably happier.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
They should show that video to every new signing to show them that’s the standard to aspire to if you want to become a hero at Wolves.

Feel truly blessed to have seen the great man’s time at our beloved club.

What an impact Neves has made and surely will never be forgotten.

Maybe the club could arrange a pre-season friendly next year with Al-Hilal just so we can remind Rúben how much he’s loved.

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The beating heart and soul of the team for the past 6 years. Very moving to see how much Wolves meant to him

Absolutely love Ruben, and shed a few tears watching that. Best player I've ever seen in a wolves shirt

I do love the idea of him randomly standing on the south bank in a few years time tho...

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Something that has to be taken into account, with regard to the money.

In the past couple of years, Ruben has seen close-up just how precarious it all is: Raul's career was pretty much ended by a freak collision with a freak defender, Neto was flying high until doing his kneecap and might never be the same again, Jonny had two ACLs, Sasa broke after half an hour, Chiquinho ACL... and that's just in a small amount of time at one club. Players aren't bionic, and luck doesn't favour the brave.

It's all very well people outside the game postulating about "in his prime" and missed opportunities and lack of ambition and following the cash... well, too bloody right, it's his body and his family's future, and if he wants to secure it whilst he can, all power to him. Everything can change in a split second. Even then, I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision, and if Barca had been in any way professional instead of the footballing equivalent of back alley meth addicts then he probably would have gone there, but I'm actually glad he's chosen this route.

Leaves as a legend, and with nothing but love and gratitude from us. I hope he and his Neveses have a wonderful life.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Something that has to be taken into account, with regard to the money.

In the past couple of years, Ruben has seen close-up just how precarious it all is: Raul's career was pretty much ended by a freak collision with a freak defender, Neto was flying high until doing his kneecap and might never be the same again, Jonny had two ACLs, Sasa broke after half an hour, Chiquinho ACL... and that's just in a small amount of time at one club. Players aren't bionic, and luck doesn't favour the brave.

It's all very well people outside the game postulating about "in his prime" and missed opportunities and lack of ambition and following the cash... well, too bloody right, it's his body and his family's future, and if he wants to secure it whilst he can, all power to him. Everything can change in a split second. Even then, I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision, and if Barca had been in any way professional instead of the footballing equivalent of back alley meth addicts then he probably would have gone there, but I'm actually glad he's chosen this route.

Leaves as a legend, and with nothing but love and gratitude from us. I hope he and his Neveses have a wonderful life.
What a wonderfully considered post. TY.

SevernWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
JL might be able to get the midfield working without Neves, as we saw when he was suspended, but the team has lost much more than just a player.

JL has a hell of a job on his hands rebuilding not just the team, but the team's spirit, soul and connection with the fans.

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve watched it this morning and a tear rolled down my cheek, I’m now reading this explaining it to the wife and getting a lump in my throat. She hates football but said, she has never seen anything like that before, the emotion and a bond to the club come spilling out of a player.

He is up there with the greats a true legend and I don’t begrudge him a move the Saudi Arabia, he’s still got time in his late twenties/early thirties to go back to Porto for a champions league, Swan song.

Thanks for the memories Ruben

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching the video again this morning and makes it all the more strange we haven’t heard one thing from moutinho since he left. Find it odd.
It’s a shame that whatever has gone on would make him feel like he shouldn’t/can’t make a statement.. but now it wouldn’t feel right, Ruben was King after all.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL might be able to get the midfield working without Neves, as we saw when he was suspended, but the team has lost much more than just a player.

JL has a hell of a job on his hands rebuilding not just the team, but the team's spirit, soul and connection with the fans.
He appears to have a blank sheet and reasonable funds if all the players touted to leave do go.
An enviable position for a manager that wants a real challenge at the top flight.

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just cannot understand all these pundits having a go at him and saying all Saudi transfers should be banned ?? they are only trying to do what the Premier league did 20+ years ago.. So why so many dummies being spit out of Prams.. A threat to PL dominance maybe.. The PL destroyed the English game and the pyramid System with fake money from unethical broadcasters and Foreign owners. The Saudis already have the money
Because it's dirty sportswashing from a murderous and terrible state? I thought this was well known now.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’m a pretty cynical person and don’t believe many of the footballers when they declare their love for the club but in Rubén’s case I think it was genuine. He was our crown jewel the one who epitomised our rise from dire Championship seasons into golden Premier & Euro dreams. I’m very sad to see him go but I knew he wasn’t going to see his career out here. I’m thankful we had him for as long as we did and wish him and his family all the very best. What a fantastic ambassador for our club he has been.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Because it's dirty sportswashing from a murderous and terrible state? I thought this was well known now.
Mate I’ve liked your comment because I do believe it’s true. I’m at the stage in life now where nothing shocks me anymore but feel powerless to make changes to things. Our Govt collude with murderous states for oil, arms deals etc and we as citizens benefit (admittedly not as much as rich folk) so we’re all complicit in a way. Basically saying I’ve given up trusting Govts and will make little gestures here and there to show my disapproval of things but even I’m a hypocrite cos I want cheaper petrol, clothes et which generally comes from sweat shops and bloody awful regimes.

Back
Top Bottom