Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Strikers this summer

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, not Nurses, train drivers etc. I mean those that know where the goal is . I know this is mentioned in the transfer thread, and mods please merge if wanted. But who should we keep, who should we look to sell, who do we have coming through the system, do we need more? Should we be championing the cause of specific players out there?

I think sentiment aside we should not renew for Costa. We should move Raul on. Not strictly strikers, but would be happy to move on Hwang and Podence. I have concerns over whether Sasa will ever maintain fitness. I think Silva should be looked at pre season. That leaves us with the 2 options, both of which there are concerns over. I think we would be very foolish not to try and bring in one ready made striker. Bar Costa, I am not sure too many would disagree?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, not Nurses, train drivers etc. I mean those that know where the goal is . I know this is mentioned in the transfer thread, and mods please merge if wanted. But who should we keep, who should we look to sell, who do we have coming through the system, do we need more? Should we be championing the cause of specific players out there?

I think sentiment aside we should not renew for Costa. We should move Raul on. Not strictly strikers, but would be happy to move on Hwang and Podence. I have concerns over whether Sasa will ever maintain fitness. I think Silva should be looked at pre season. That leaves us with the 2 options, both of which there are concerns over. I think we would be very foolish not to try and bring in one ready made striker. Bar Costa, I am not sure too many would disagree?
You’ve pretty much summed it up there!

If we played a front 3 there probably is potential in Cunha as the central striker, that could be an option if money is short. But ideally we need a prime version of Jimenez or Costa for him to play behind.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

ah, that most mythical of beings, the oven-ready proven Premier League striker that's available for the kind of money and wages we can pay.

Of course no-one would disagree with your sentiment but there is no such player available. Everyone we could attract/afford will be a gamble.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ah, that most mythical of beings, the oven-ready proven Premier League striker that's available for the kind of money and wages we can pay.

Of course no-one would disagree with your sentiment but there is no such player available. Everyone we could attract/afford will be a gamble.
Yep, even signing Raúl for over £30m was a hit 'n hope. We're as well to spend around £15m on a striker and hope it works out, it's just as likely to.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously money pending I think we need 2 options.......a replacement for Raul and Costa ....a En Nesyri/Gyokeres..20/25m....

I also think we need to replace Traore with a similar type physical player who can probably operate a bit more centrally....Lois Openda type signing....25m ish..

Obviously this is in an ideal world but surely we can stretch to it , if it's means selling say Neto or podence/Sarabia to do it...or even dare I say it...Fabio.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
I would move Costa and jiminez on as I think most would.

I would sign gyokeres if Cov don't win promotion.We need to start dipping into the championship market. Ultimately there is no league in the world that prepares young players better for the Premier league.

You have then got him, Sasa and Silva all in competition. If all stay fit by January loan out either Sasa or Silva.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Gyokeres is a massive risk at £20-£25m
And me but Coventry won't get that....with a year left on his deal....be nearer 15/18m I reckon.

But it still a risk at this level.....had we got a prime Raul playing it would probably be a very good back up option....but not sure to be your first choice.....I think 25/30m you will definitely get En Nesyri...

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And me but Coventry won't get that....with a year left on his deal....be nearer 15/18m I reckon.

But it still a risk at this level.....had we got a prime Raul playing it would probably be a very good back up option....but not sure to be your first choice.....I think 25/30m you will definitely get En Nesyri...
I’d much rather go for En-Nesyri as he’s far more proven at a high level.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d much rather go for En-Nesyri as he’s far more proven at a high level.
It's a shame really cause in January you probably could have got him for 20m as he was a bit out of form...
But he has massively picked up again...so price has gone back up....but still think you get him for 25m up to 30 add ons....

Clipboard

Reaction score

Makes sense to me.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the guarantee with En Nesyri is that he works his socks off....he is that type of striker...a menace to defend against..

Obviously there is no guarantee that goals are transferable from la Liga to the premier league just like it isn't from the championship..

He will definitely give us the work rate that we need...I would say in terms of complete striker , in our price range he is probably the nearest thing to prime Raul as what we might get......a work horse who has a bit of everything, power , aerial ability and can score but has great work rate..

Probably a bit more of a poacher than Raul , but probably won't get the spectacular goals Raul did

Surely he is wanted by lopetugui.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Think Gyokeres is a massive risk at £20-£25m
Is it really a 'massive' risk?

I think a 20 million spend or so for a guy who has already proven he's a stellar striker in the championship is far from that.20 million doesn't get you much these days and is a drop in the ocean for most prem clubs.Luton will have to spend half that on their stadium if they get promoted!

Worst case if he struggles is that you're getting your money back 2 years down the line from a championship club looking for a proven striker at that level.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think a 20 million spend or so for a guy who has already proven he's a stellar striker in the championship is far from that.20 million doesn't get you much these days and is a drop in the ocean for most prem clubs.Luton will have to spend half that on their stadium if they get promoted!

His record is pretty similar to Ebanks-Blake's first couple of Championship years with us, so yes!
Not as good as Mitrovic's record, and he took 3(?) years in the PL before it clicked.
Similar to Bamford's, who's had 1 good PL campaign out of 7 attempts.

Obviously spending £20m on a player is only a £20m level of risk, but there's no guarantee he'll be any good at all in the PL.

I'd still want him though.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Worst case if he struggles is that you're getting your money back 2 years down the line from a championship club looking for a proven striker at that level.
Have you looked at Chump transfer spend lately? The days of Chump clubs spending £20M are long since gone.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

People are saying risk ....not money etc ..

People saying Risk as Gyokeres being out only change to our forwards..... everybody would take him as part of say 2,3 changes in the forward areas..

But Gyokeres being our only signing cause money is tight is risky .

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty much any signing would be a risk though unless we're signing a proven PL goalscorer. In which case we'd be looking at £60m+

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think any striker will fix the goal scoring unless we create better chances for them, this means clearing out some of the wingers we do have and bringing in better attacking mids
This. We don't move the ball through the middle and attack exclusively down the wings. We're too easy to defend against and it starves out strikers.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If it's impossible, how come every other team in the league scores more than us? If it's impossible, then why is the leagues top scorers list got about 30 goal scorers who cost less than Cunha, Fabio etc yet have scored more goals?

Might as well give up then. Buy more centre-halves, play 5-4-1 and 0-0 draw our way to safety.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think any striker will fix the goal scoring unless we create better chances for them, this means clearing out some of the wingers we do have and bringing in better attacking mids

I think strikers have to work to create chances. Come on, we have Adama who whatever his flaws, has put over enough decent crosses that any real striker would have scored several goals from this season. And ours have scored nothing.

Am I imagining all the times we see Hwang/Podence/Cunha etc in great positions, yet mess it up completely all by themselves?

DJLWolf

Reaction score
His record is pretty similar to Ebanks-Blake's first couple of Championship years with us, so yes!
Not as good as Mitrovic's record, and he took 3(?) years in the PL before it clicked.
Similar to Bamford's, who's had 1 good PL campaign out of 7 attempts.

Obviously spending £20m on a player is only a £20m level of risk, but there's no guarantee he'll be any good at all in the PL.

I'd still want him though.
I understand all that, but financially speaking I can't accept its a risk because he is 24, has proven he's a top championship striker and will easily hold that value even if he isn't a success with us for numerous years.

Clearly I understand the assessment it's a risk he won't be good enough for the Premier league ..but that goes without saying for any striker we buy whatever the transfer value unless we spank 60-70 million on a Toney, Watkins or a Mitrovic who are proven at this level.We aren't going to are we.

So basically you could apply the 'it's a massive risk' to any player we are likely to get.It is a non point.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree but I don't think it's just the wingers . We are the deepest setup team in the Prem when we get possession I would bet . As never do I see 2 CMs of any other team in the Prem be behind the CDs . We do this most games . So anyone tell me how when we get the ball we are to move it forward when there is no CM to pass to . So it goes wide to fullback then to a winger then back to the already deep CM for us then to go sideways to pass to a winger who then loses the ball more often than not .

JL has done a great job to keep us up . But this approach needs to change fast or any signings we do make for up front will have no chance of scoring as will have no service .

We beat villa but look how many times buendia popped up just outside the box . Look at Ming's in our box driving forward . Brighton don't start but their players overlap and press forward when they haven't got the ball. Until that mindset changes along with investment in the spine of the team I see similar to last 2/3 seasons I am afraid.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it's impossible, how come every other team in the league scores more than us? If it's impossible, then why is the leagues top scorers list got about 30 goal scorers who cost less than Cunha, Fabio etc yet have scored more goals?

Might as well give up then. Buy more centre-halves, play 5-4-1 and 0-0 draw our way to safety.
Where did I say anything of the sort? I'm merely pointing out that there is no such thing as a ready made guaranteed goal scoring striker in our price range or ability to attract. Of course we need more goals, you would have to be a lunatic not to think that, but anyone we buy will be a gamble that might not come off. But judging by your last sentence you'd have a great future starring in the Wizard of Oz

1684320480550.jpeg

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang, Cunha, Sasa, Costa, Chem, Farmer, Fraser

Sell Silva we don’t have any cash to spare remember OH my word

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lets try Silva and Cunha up top in pre-season see how that goes.
I'd keep Neto, we'll probably keep Sarabia. Maybe keep Traore as an out and out winger who just puts crosses in all day or see how Chiquinio compares.
Podence, Hwang, Guedes can go.
Not sure on Costa though. His goal return like the others has been very poor, but you sense his presence has had a positive impact on the team and in the dressing room. But do we need to be ruthless?
Who knows on Sasa, can only really see what he's about when he's fit again.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'd be happy with an experienced backup (around the 30 year old mark) striker with proven goals. And obviously a new main striker, Openda looks rapid and good scoring record albeit in a poor league. En Nesyri isn't prolific is he? Bolugun will prob go for big money abroad but if he wants to stay in the league I'd go for him as well.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Either En-Nesyri or Gyokeres would be good as long as Fabio comes back too. Then Raul and Costa can be moved on

En-Nesyri/Gyokeres, Fabio, Cunha with Sasa as the wildcard is enough to go into next season with.

If we sell Fabio, Raul and release Costa, we would need at least two strikers, which, given Fabio's current level and potential would be unnecessary.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think strikers have to work to create chances. Come on, we have Adama who whatever his flaws, has put over enough decent crosses that any real striker would have scored several goals from this season. And ours have scored nothing.

Am I imagining all the times we see Hwang/Podence/Cunha etc in great positions, yet mess it up completely all by themselves?
To be fair even xA (which only counts when there's been an effort on goal) supports that re. Adama, he's expected to have 3.5 assists this season yet has 1 assist.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would you be against re-signing jota?

Back
Top Bottom