Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Old Molineux Photos

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What amazes me is that a stand holding 30000 spectators can have such a small/narrow main entry, in a time when there was pay on the gate? ...Although I do know there were other entries to the stand aswell, but that must have created quite a scrum 30 minutes before kickoff for bigger games?
There were also entrances to the right of that photo, obscured by the wall, as well a side entrance or two in Molineux Alley and the same on other side of the S Bank. I never remember it being a problem getting in.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There were also entrances to the right of that photo, obscured by the wall, as well a side entrance or two in Molineux Alley and the same on other side of the S Bank. I never remember it being a problem getting in.
Only problem I recall was the League cup replay against Grimsby when there didn’t seem many turnstiles open so causing a crush. We went round to the new stand and got in just before kick off. I never believe the official attendance given that night as 28,O00, seemed packed to me.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's against Chelsea. Alan Hudson is the No 8. Ron 'Chopper' Harris standing watching and I think their No 6 is John Hollins. The Wolves No 9 is John Richards and the player facing the camera looks like Derek Jefferson, Derek Parkin is further away. Early 70s?
I thought it was Bobby Gould rather than John Richards (!?). Facing the camera could be Hugh Curran ( but not sure if they were at Wolves at the same time). The Chelsea player facing the camera might be Houseman - maybe. Chopper might be the no 6. But after 2 cataract operations I could be totally wrong...

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it was Bobby Gould rather than John Richards (!?). Facing the camera could be Hugh Curran ( but not sure if they were at Wolves at the same time). The Chelsea player facing the camera might be Houseman - maybe. Chopper might be the no 6. But after 2 cataract operations I could be totally wrong...
Yes, could well be Gould, -- the hair! I too thought first of all it was Curran and then changed it to Jefferson because I can't find a home game where Curran played against Chelsea.

Snarlingwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
The players in this photo (in the foreground) are, from left to right:- Dempsey, Chelsea CH; Chopper Harris clearing the ball; Hugh Curran facing us above Harris, Bobby Gould No.9, and Alan Hudson Chelsea’s No.8.

I should know cos I wuz there!:) :cool:

On second thoughts, it could well be John Hollins clearing the ball. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The players in this photo (in the foreground) are, from left to right:- Dempsey, Chelsea CH; Chopper Harris clearing the ball; Hugh Curran facing us above Harris, Bobby Gould No.9, and Alan Hudson Chelsea’s No.8.

I should know cos I wuz there!:) :cool:

On second thoughts, it could well be John Hollins clearing the ball. :rolleyes:
I have checked the records and if this was the game in which Wolves beat Chelsea 3-0 (December 13, 1969), Wolves No 9 was Frank Munro! Curran was No 10. Gould wasn't playing.

Snarlingwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I have checked the records and if this was the game in which Wolves beat Chelsea 3-0 (December 13, 1969), Wolves No 9 was Frank Munro! Curran was No 10. Gould wasn't playing.
I stand to be corrected - thanks for that, BSK. It indeed now looks like Frank Munro!!:)

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
No it must have been in the 1980s. The yellow seats in the directors box were fitted in 1976, after Liverpool fans vandalised the originals the night they won the league and sent us down. There were home and away dugouts in the middle of the enclosure which were removed in 1979 when the dugouts moved to the pitch on the same side as the new stand.

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
That's against Chelsea. Alan Hudson is the No 8. Ron 'Chopper' Harris standing watching and I think their No 6 is John Hollins. The Wolves No 9 is John Richards and the player facing the camera looks like Derek Jefferson, Derek Parkin is further away. Early 70s?
The shirts have no badge on so the match must have been prior to 1971. Parkin is in the picture but it can’t have been Jefferson.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The shirts have no badge on so the match must have been prior to 1971. Parkin is in the picture but it can’t have been Jefferson.
See above, I think we have got the answer, it's December 13 1969, Wolves 3 Chelsea 0. I remember this game for a special reason-- I wasn't there, but away in the Middle East! A mate of mine who was a Fulham fan was working at British Leyland, Longbridge at that time and saw the game and wrote to me to say how brilliant Wolves were that day! I can remember what he wrote--"Waggy scored a blinder!". Happy days! Let's hope we get the same result today!

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
See above, I think we have got the answer, it's December 13 1969, Wolves 3 Chelsea 0. I remember this game for a special reason-- I wasn't there, but away in the Middle East! A mate of mine who was a Fulham fan was working at British Leyland, Longbridge at that time and saw the game and wrote to me to say how brilliant Wolves were that day! I can remember what he wrote--"Waggy scored a blinder!". Happy days! Let's hope we get the same result today!
I remember that game too and I wasn’t there either.

We had injuries and were under strength, but Waggy stepped forward and had one of those games where he played them on his own ….. and scored a beauty

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember that game too and I wasn’t there either.

We had injuries and were under strength, but Waggy stepped forward and had one of those games where he played them on his own ….. and scored a beauty
Yes, I too was at that game and still have the programme and newspaper cuttings somwhere.

Waggy was on fire that day.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Taken from "The Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Book"
That's a lot of folk on the Southbank. Where are they now I wonder.
To quote my late Salopian old man (who was almost certainly at that game but likely in the North Bank): "Most of them are probably djeded" (sure phonetic spelling is wrong, lol) ...

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of those guys are still going (and still active in London Wolves!)....
That's good to know WW.
The bloke at the front is/was the head honcho apparently. His name is given in the book but thought better not to make mention as I don't know where we stand these days with GDPR and all that.

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
The Waterloo Rd stand in the 1920s. Later on, an office extension was added to the left hand tower. It was designed by architect Archibald Leach, famous for many grounds such as Everton, Glasgow Rangers, Spurs and many more.2419DF36-4D67-47E1-A6C6-D5D2D004698B.jpeg

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always find it interesting how black and white photos make the old stands look impressive, yet the same stands in colour, with advertising, and aged a bit suddenly make them look awful and decrepit. It was Archibald Leitch, not Leach.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Some of those guys are still going (and still active in London Wolves!)....
I caught up with some of the originals from 1966 in the Lych Gate after the Chelsea match, as I always do after a game.
Club and Travel Secretaries Dave Slape and Pete Woodifield still as active as ever, always a good turn-out and fun in there.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I caught up with some of the originals from 1966 in the Lych Gate after the Chelsea match, as I always do after a game.
Club and Travel Secretaries Dave Slape and Pete Woodifield still as active as ever, always a good turn-out and fun in there.

joining them you could get from Euston to the Low Level back then for £1.10. instead of £4.00. think it was a " behave and it stayed that price, trouble and it went back to the £4.00."
happy days

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dave and Pete both top top guys

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if its been mentioned but there is a great article and pics 'The South Bank's last stand' on the E& S website. Sorry don't know how to highlight it on here but if someone could that would be appreciated. Lots of fond memories.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Not sure if its been mentioned but there is a great article and pics 'The South Bank's last stand' on the E& S website. Sorry don't know how to highlight it on here but if someone could that would be appreciated. Lots of fond memories.
Quality stuff.

Reactions: Ian
Back
Top Bottom