Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Neto

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True but we were all poor and he was being played on the right. Be interesting to see what Lop can do with him.
I think he can work wonders with him. My only worry is that he will be plagued by injuries so he may never realise his full potential. You get top players, like Calvert-Lewin, who just never seem to get a decent run of games without being injured. I just pray that Neto is not one of them as he could be a star as part of JL's rebuild.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With JL starting to build a decent squad, early indication is that we are going to have several options in each position. If that continues through the next few windows, then Neto won't necessarily need to be playing 90 minutes very often, so hopefully he will get plenty of matches, to ease in.
He could be a fantastic impact sub for the rest of the season and then maybe a starter next season.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me he has the potential to be as good as Jota at his best. We've seen glimpses of it and it is mouth watering. If he can get back with Cunha's movement our goal output will surely improve. They could be a very exciting front 2 or part of a 3 with Podence?
Mouthwatering potentially.. and imho.. he can be better than Jota, but he needs to recapture that early form as you say and ideally, have a manager who knows his best position.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bet your wife doesn't go back to those 3 places again, LOL. sorry could'nt resist that old classic, hope she gets./or got well soon mate,

Ah! Unfortunately the place where she did it was a favourite local spa, and as you can imagine, she has no wish to return!

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True but we were all poor and he was being played on the right. Be interesting to see what Lop can do with him.

It does make you wonder doesn’t it.

There were concerns on here (and I had them too) that when Neto came back he looked miles off where he was pre-injury and whether the knee injury had take its toll on him. I am more optimistic now of a Neto return simply because we can patently see how how unfit and underprepared all of the players were under Lage. I don’t think we will see Neto until he reaches a level of fitness that satisfies JL and he is at a level where he earns his place.

Wolvescol

Groupie
Reaction score
I broke my calcaneus ( heel) in 2013 , really awful injury that took almost 12 months to walk at even a slow pace , operation involved 12 pins from heel to ankle , almost 10 years now and I still suffer if I’ve done a 2.5 ,, 3 mile walk , I’m 57 but in decent shape and regularly train , but trying to run puts to much stress on the ankle , just hope Pedro comes back strong but once you damage ankle ligaments they become weak and it don’t take much to re occur

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I broke my calcaneus ( heel) in 2013 , really awful injury that took almost 12 months to walk at even a slow pace , operation involved 12 pins from heel to ankle , almost 10 years now and I still suffer if I’ve done a 2.5 ,, 3 mile walk , I’m 57 but in decent shape and regularly train , but trying to run puts to much stress on the ankle , just hope Pedro comes back strong but once you damage ankle ligaments they become weak and it don’t take much to re occur

Sorry to hear that, but Neto does have both age on his side and no doubt access to some of the best surgeons and experts in the world.

I think Dave Edwards made a comment several years ago that after an ankle (?) injury the next day he was having surgery, when the average person would be waiting weeks or months on the NHS, which no doubt contributes.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big half season for him, lets hope hes eager to be back on the pitch and prove hes to be a number 1 man ahead of hwang/traore/etc

Guedes held neto back earlier in the, year wont be a case moving forward

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big half season for him, lets hope hes eager to be back on the pitch and prove hes to be a number 1 man ahead of hwang/traore/etc

Guedes held neto back earlier in the, year wont be a case moving forward

Out of curiosity, how did Guedes hold Neto back?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how did Guedes hold Neto back?
By guedes playing on the left, to a player who is very one footed and being played on the right.

Neto should have been playing on the left - he is significantly better on the left than right.

One appearance on the LW in this run.

1673866681175.png

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By guedes playing on the left, to a player who is very one footed and being played on the right.

Neto should have been playing on the left - he is significantly better on the left than right.

View attachment 32517

Think that's more down to Bruno than Guedes to be fair. Neto has been pretty poor since his return from injury, Liverpool on the last day of the season aside.

Probably down to Bruno playing him on the right but either way, has to do better on this return. I think he will and it'll be interesting to see where JL plays him.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really hope not, but I fear that we have seen the best of Neto.

Me too, for a lot of the reasons below!

View attachment 32517

I think this might be an issue for Neto longer-term and why I'm not sure he will be a starter for Lopetegui.

A lot of people were previously saying that Neto hadn't got back to his best after his first kneecap injury, or that he was rubbish under Lage like most of our team.

I think there are reasons other than his injuries for that and there were actually signs of it as early as Nuno's last season here.

There's been some significant events in the last few seasons, but in a nutshell, our style of play has been generally along these lines.....

18/19 - Nuno's first PL season, counter-attacking (7th)
19/20 - Nuno's second PL season, counter-attacking (7th)
20/21 - Nuno's third PL season, trying to change to a possession based side, playing a back 4, Raul's injury didn't help (13th)
21/22 - "Brunoball!" Well for 3 games and 3 defeats, then a more pragmatic, possession-based style (10th)
22/23 - ??? Lage and Davis clown-show, followed by Lopetegui, possession-based

Neto joined in the 19/20 season, the season in which he had the most impact on games statistically, based on his 'with' and 'without' Points Per Game record in the Premier League.

19/20 - PPG With 1.68, PPG Without 1.11

He had more goals and assists the following season (20/21), in fewer games, but his overall impact was not as striking, again based on his 'with' and 'without' record in the Premier League. Although we were still better off for having him in the team.

20/21 - PPG With 1.22, PPG Without 1.00

Could this small drop off in his overall impact be due to changing how we played? He was clearly far more impactful in a counter-attacking team, with the team picking up 0.57 more points per game on average in 19/20, compared to just 0.22 more PPG in 20/21, when Nuno tried to change us to more of a possession based side.

He picked up his kneecap injury at the end of this season, ruling him out of the last 7 games of 20/21. He then didn't play again until February of the 21/22 season, playing in the last 13 league games, which coincided with a huge slump in results.

His PPG with and without for that season doesn't make good reading.

21/22 - PPG With 0.84, PPG Without 1.60

Lage liked to play with inverted wingers. Combining this with a possession-based, slower buildup, meant a lot of our success in the early part of the 21/22 season was using Trincao, Podence and Hwang, who are all probably comfortable coming narrower. Adama was even used in an inverted wide role quite a bit and came inside a lot more when playing in his more comfortable right wing position.

Even Trincao's record of 1.21 PPG that season was much better than Neto's.

This season, Neto played in all of the games under Lage. Again, we have picked up more points without him in the side.

22/23 - PPG With 0.75, PPG Without 0.92

The issues for Neto are similar to the ones Adama is facing under Lopetegui. All Neto's best work for us has come as part of a counter-attacking setup, where using his explosiveness has really been of benefit to him and us.

As soon as Nuno tried to change the way we played, his influence became less and less. Then under Lage, it dropped off a cliff.

Lopetegui's ideas aren't that dissimilar to Lage, he's just clearly a lot better at implementing those ideas. Sarabia is Lopetegui's Trincao. A slower, less explosive player than Neto, but one who can create more chances in a possession based side.

It's easy to forget that we have only really seen 2 full seasons of Neto, both under Nuno. He's done nothing of note and not really had a positive impact on results ever since.

The questions over Neto are two-fold.

1) Does he even possess the same explosiveness pre-injuries?
2) Does he have the ability to create and score chances in a purely possession-based side?

As it stands, he will probably be behind Sarabia, Podence and Cunha for the wide roles. He's then competing against Adama and Ait-Nouri for the explosive, impact-sub role.

I've always wondered if he might have a future centrally maybe?

Interesting to see how Lopetegui sees it and how he is used!!

Last edited:

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With JL starting to build a decent squad, early indication is that we are going to have several options in each position. If that continues through the next few windows, then Neto won't necessarily need to be playing 90 minutes very often, so hopefully he will get plenty of matches, to ease in.
He could be a fantastic impact sub for the rest of the season and then maybe a starter next season.
Beat me to it ease him in build him up ,protect him

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto was our best player in 20/21 was very highly rated after that season so I don't understand where that revision of history is coming from.

5 goals and 6 assists in a team for a 20 year old without Jimenez and a 18 year old Fabio Silva or William Jose leading the line ... hardly ineffective is it?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto was our best player in 20/21 was very highly rated after that season so I don't understand where that revision of history is coming from.

It's not a revision of history. Just that his impact on the overall points with and without him in the side was actually better the season before.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not a revision of history. Just that his impact on the overall points with and without him in the side was actually better the season before.

He was less needed the season before. We still had peak Raul, Jota and a Traore who was in form and overall were a more cohesive team. He was good his first season but 5 goals and 6 assists stopped us from really struggling that season when Raul was injured. So no I'm not having it that he wasn't very good that season.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was less needed the season before. We still had peak Raul, Jota and a Traore who was in form and overall were a more cohesive team. He was good his first season but 5 goals and 6 assists stopped us from really struggling that season when Raul was injured. So no I'm not having it that he wasn't very good that season.

No one has said that he wasn't very good that season! :tearsofjoy:

It was his best season for us in terms of output.

But his presence, compared to other players, had a bigger impact on results and points per game the season before.

He did start far more games in 20/21, and that season was odd for many reasons. Although Nuno started off playing a back 4 and trying to be more possession-based, we reverted to counter-attacking back 3/5 to survive.

Whether 19/20 or 20/21 was his best is somewhat irrelevant. It still stands that all his best work came in an explosive, counter-attacking side under Nuno and that his presence has actually seen a negative influence on PPG under Lage.

Lopetegui is closer to Lage than Nuno in how he sets up and his style, hence the worry that Neto might not fit in.

I sincerely hope he proves me and other doubters wrong!!

Last edited:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Neto coming back fit and firing would be wonderful for Wolves. He's the nearest to Jota we've had and boy have we missed him. My only concern is he seems injury-prone or perhaps just unlucky? Jimenez and Jonny have not got back to where they were following their long injury lay offs; I hope the same is not for Neto.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s true I’ve had some horrific ankle ligament issues from sport, to the point where I’d randomly just collapse on it walking down the street and hit the deck. My proprioception was completely effed to bits.
Lots of squats, lunges on a wobble board type exercises plus other physio have got me to a good place but it’s taken years.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Neto coming back fit and firing would be wonderful for Wolves. He's the nearest to Jota we've had and boy have we missed him. My only concern is he seems injury-prone or perhaps just unlucky? Jimenez and Jonny have not got back to where they were following their long injury lay offs; I hope the same is not for Neto.
Raul and Jonny are much older than Neto, so fingers crossed.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is, sadly, a realistic concern. He didn't look 100% sorted before the latest injury.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the club are keeping things under wraps with Neto. He was training on the grass last week apparently. I reckon he is closer to returning than we think.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Neto will fit in perfectly if I'm honest, assuming he comes back anywhere near the same player.

JL's plan of trying to draw the opponent onto you and then cutting through the lines with pace and movement is built for Neto, he's the most likely of our existing forwards to press effectively imv (Cunha & Sarabia show that's what JL wants) and he's got that x factor/moment of magic in him for when plan A isn't working.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s true I’ve had some horrific ankle ligament issues from sport, to the point where I’d randomly just collapse on it walking down the street and hit the deck. My proprioception was completely effed to bits.
Lots of squats, lunges on a wobble board type exercises plus other physio have got me to a good place but it’s taken years.
I had the same problem falling over when I was younger but that was because I was a drunk :tearsofjoy:

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I've had similar from doing my ankle ligaments a couple of times playing football. The advice I'd give me younger self is to let them heal properly before playing again!

Years of pain, swelling and discomfort could probably have been avoided by just a couple more weeks of rest.

And as for physios, I used one for the first time for a bad hamstring injury and now I can see why football clubs employ so many. Very useful!

Back
Top Bottom