Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Liverpool Verdict Thread

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A word about Hodge. Neat, tidy tenacious, kept possession well, and pressed and harried Liverpool as well as any Wolves player. Can see why Julen loves him (thanks to Sellars for that one ;))

One passage of play epitomises how good he was tonight, in the first half. He kept barging and harrying, and jostling with Thiago over and over again, until Thiago ran it into touch. Bullied him! That is what Klopp meant when he said Liverpool were outfought and lost the key duels for long periods of the game. What a player
I've not been convinced by him before tonight. He always seemed a bit lightweight without showing much range of passing. He certainly showed he can compete against a premier league midfield tonight!!!

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
Loved hearing the gasps from their fans when Ait Nouri and Nunes were gliding past their players!….we’ve got to keep both! Gonna be massive for us going forward! Superb all round tonight! Collins bar his error top class today! Only negative…Jimenez:-( Shadow of himself.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Results like this are the types that make me want to sock a presumptuous scouser fan in the lip. None to be found over here in Laos, though.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonderful

Result stolen but I think we have more than enough to stay up now. JL looks like the man

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They won't flag for sala until he's actively involved in play...and when he was involved, it was a wolves player who had passed it to him , so not offside.
A better question would be,,why did totti head it??
But Sala was directly involved. He was running in behind and the ball was played directly to him, and when the pass was made he was already in an offside position before it got anywhere near Tori’s head

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** VAR.

Our fitness levels seem much better.

Christ imagine where we'd be if Lopetegui was in charge from the start of season. Something special is on if we stay up.
You say our fitness levels are better, and I agree, but I still think we're way off what Julen expects. He wants them to be able to play this high intensity pressing football for 90 minutes, and I think that's why we keep shifting to a back five with a low block with 20-25 minutes left in the game, they're running out of steam and Julen is adapting as any great coach would do.

I have no idea what they were doing in training under Bruno, but I think Julen is slowly getting them out of first gear. We all knew this group was far too talented to be involved in a relegation fight, they were just dragged down by awful management. Thankfully, I feel confident that Julen can drag us out of this mess and keep us up, providing he's backed in this window.

If we do stop up, next season and onwards could be very exciting because we have a world class head coach in place now.

Howler

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Salah made a run toward the ball before toti touched it. Automatic offside.

I've watched it again, he's definitely active and moving toward the ball before Toti misjudges his header, not sure how he can be considered passive here, he's pressured Toti into the mistake whilst being offside - very, very dodgy.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My verdict is Wolves are playing better under Lopetegui but that the match was clearly rigged.
I don't know the rules of this sport any more.

We've just wasted 2 hours of our lives watching a scripted event.

Should have gone to the theatre instead.
Its almost like you need a law degree to interpret the decisions of the sport, it's bonkers. I don't know whats what anymore.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They won't flag for sala until he's actively involved in play...and when he was involved, it was a wolves player who had passed it to him , so not offside.

He became active the moment the ball was crossed towards him and Toti was forced to try and clear it, but was unable to deflect it from its path towards him. He was already in an offside position, so that’s why the goal shouldn’t have stood. It would be different had Toti kicked or headed the ball to him, but it was originally going somewhere. That’s why the pundits on MOTD agreed that it’s down to inconsistent interpretation and in this case, a wrong decision was made, rule or no rule.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why did Toti head it? Is that a serious question or are you under the influence of mind bending drugs? What is a defender meant to do in that situation? Just stand still? Pick his nose? Anybody who's played the game, knows you play to the whistle. It's the goddamn rule that is farcical but not as absurd as your post. **** me.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone was superb today tho a couple of things still show why we're in the mess we are. Both defenders played well but each made one awful error that cost a goal (ignoring that toti's should have been cancelled out). And Jimenez - I feel so bad for him but he's way, way off the pace.

Everything else though, night and day from lage's time. What in earth was that man doing to the team.

Special words for guedes - utterly different player tonight. Not only did he work hard but he was talking and organising constantly - especially with our younger lads. Something has switched in his head and I hope we see more of this guedes, not the sulky lightweight one we've bad most of the season.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just got back, ****ing fuming and all on the coach couldn't understand the Toti goal decision.

On the plus side every match we've had since JL took over has been an improvement on the last, maybe he knows what he's doing.

Ps. How the hell can they sell carlsberg inside the ground for 3.30 a bottle?
Take note Wolves!

Last edited:

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went to bed fuming, failing to see where Toti was offside. Only this morning do I read that Nunes might have been offside and that VAR didn't have the angle to see properly so went with the lino's decision. This at a Premier ground where VAR has been in use for years!!! This also follows the Sheff Wed Vs Newcastle ground where the incompetence of the linos and no VAR meant two 'clearly' offside goals were allowed to stand. The whole situation stinks!!!

That aside, Wolves reserves were great and two self-inflicted wounds aside were faultless. We were the better side for long periods and deserved to win. A replay is not what we wanted of course, but play as we did back at a rocking Molineux and we could get through. Last night proved that we have some strength in depth and with a few additions and the self-belief, fitness etc... that Loppy and his team seem to have installed in Wolves; we just might get out of this mess that we are in.

Ratings;

Sarkic - 6 - looked nervous and might have done better for the first goal, but was not really tested by Liverpool.
Lembikisa - 7- Grew into the match on his full debut and for the most part kept Gakpo quiet. Assured!
Collins - 8 - One 'customary' mistake apart, he was imperious. Got his head to everything.
Toti - 8 - See Collins. Should have had a glorious winner that would write his name into Wolves' folk law, but for absolute farce!
Jonny - 7 - Best game for a while and he even changed sides and didn't look phased.
Neves - 8 - Ran the game and covered every blade of grass. Hopefully came off as a precaution.
Hodge - 8 - Worked his socks-off and looked as though he belonged on the same stage as the past European Champions.
RAN - 8 - Did as his name suggested and ran and ran. Looks better in this advanced role and might (should?) have scored.
Traore - 8 - Was a constant threat and one poor cross aside scared Liverpool witless.
Guedes - 7 - Gifted a goal, but otherwise also had his best game for Wolves. Had another shot that stung Allison's fingers.
Jimenez - 6- Best game for a while, but decision-making lacking when he chose to selfishly shoot instead of passing.

Subs;

Nunes - 7- One imperious run from his own half. 'Offside' for what would have been Toti's winner.
Hwang - 7- Did fine when he came on. Slightly lucky for his goal, but he was there and delighted for him.
Cunha - 7- Made the second goal. Stopped and gave the ball away on another break. Looking decent, though.
Semedo - N/A - Solid when called upon.
Bueno - N/A - Solid, late on.

Now it's a game of 16 on the pitch, Loppy is showing he knows how to use the subs and Villa aside, is imaginative and making them at the right times. Wolves 'reserves' showed great resolve and the fitness is improving. Just hope RAN is ok as well as Podence and Mouts who didn't make the squad.
We go into important matches against Forest and Wet Sham with belief and hope!!!

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t see Klopp playing a strong side for the replay seems at it has to be played on the Wednesday and they have Chelsea at 12.30 Saturday

Oh ****ing hell we won't hear the end of him moaning about that will we

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A few thoughts in the cold light of Sunday morning...

Not convinced by Sarkic - need a better deputy
Lembikisa - A* young man. First team debut vs Cody Gakpo. You should be proud
Collins - take the mistake out and that is a 10/10 performance. He's 21: at the same age VVD was playing for Groningen
Hodge - best game for the first team
Adama - please show me a GIF of that challenge on Henderson...
Cunha & Nunes - will be brilliant to watch in the 2nd half of the season

Julen - a proper bloody manager. A manager who could go to any of the top clubs in the league. Love him - and he'll use the sense of grievance to motivate the team and bring them even closer together. In the long term, Toti's goal may be no bad thing...

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One word to describe that, proud.

On coach, stuck in traffic on M6, no idea what time we'll get home, but it was worth it.
Yes, but you are meant to be devastated that JL selected a weakened team!!!

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But Sala was directly involved. He was running in behind and the ball was played directly to him, and when the pass was made he was already in an offside position before it got anywhere near Tori’s head
You can run in behind as much as you like . .as long as you arnt active on the ball.
It was toti who passed it to him

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Even if they are saying Nunes surely he has to come from an offside position because he’s took the corner??
A player who takes a corner and is outside the penalty area when a goal goes in should never be judged offside. Rule change.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After struggling to get some sleep last night thinking about that goal decision some other thoughts about the match came to me.

Otto looked like a footballer again. Not spectacular, but looked like the same old steady Eddie we've come to expect. I hope he can build on that.

Sarkic was dodgy with his kicking. He reminded me of Matt Murray. He got more comfortable in the second half though. I can see why Lopetegui might be looking to bring in another goalkeeper.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why did Toti head it? Is that a serious question or are you under the influence of mind bending drugs? What is a defender meant to do in that situation? Just stand still? Pick his nose? Anybody who's played the game, knows you play to the whistle. It's the goddamn rule that is farcical but not as absurd as your post. **** me.
Errrr absurd?? Hardly ... I've played the game , and as a central defender.
It's called vision and awareness , as the last defender he obviously knew that sala was behind him and we'll offside , and he obviously has the awareness of the rules of the game that if he heads it to sala , then he plays sala onside ...so therefore , with the backup of the linesman standing a few feet away, AND var ,,he ducks under it, then sala is offside and can't play the ball .

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought every single player had a great game - Jonny at left back one of the main suprises after his recent outings .

For me raul has to be ahead of costa. His movement offers so much more.

4-4-2 and we play like that. We are finally seeing some pass and movement. Unbelievable

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seeing the 5 mins highlights once I got back in at 2am, that high Press JLO wanted is really beginning to show.

If that were a Bruno side, Guedes probably would have been many yards away from Allison and not have capitalised on the keeper’s mistake.

That is what progress he is installing in the players and I for it after approx 4 1/2 sleep feel chuffed!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Thought every single player had a great game - Jonny at left back one of the main suprises after his recent outings .

For me raul has to be ahead of costa. His movement offers so much more.

4-4-2 and we play like that. We are finally seeing some pass and movement. Unbelievable
Agree it was a proper team performance. Everyone with a Wolves badge on yesterday- players, staff, fans- stepped up.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
It’s a real real shame that most of what we’re discussing after the game is the officials again. They love being the centre of attention, and they’re taking away from a brilliant performance.

Can’t think of anyone in our team who had a bad game, and even the players who maybe weren’t quite at it, their effort and commitment was unbelievable. I think Liverpool expected a nice comfortable evening, we gave them a proper game.

So pleased for Dexter, I’ve been banging his drum for a while and when I saw him starting, I just thought “please have a good game”. He had a stormer.

Great to see Traore, Guedes and Raul putting in a proper shift, all 3 have had their commitments to the club questioned this season, last night they played for the badge.

As much as we’re all gutted to have what would have been a great win taken away, we’re in the fishbowl for the next round, let’s do them in the replay. In Julen we trust.

Back
Top Bottom