Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 23 Transfer Window Thread

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If by better he means just as bad then I'd agree. Our squad management was bad as his man management - which is why this season is such a mess.
I mean, most managers would be in a bad place if they are basically just "fall guy" which it seems like Lage was. He was given what looked like support, but nothing that he wanted. Players he wanted to keep were ripped from his grasp.

I'm not taking blame away from him completely. I think he had a good enough roster here to be far more competitive than we were. But people forget quickly. Nuno had fallen into an awful spell of results and was replaced by Lage. Lage had us within a couple points of the Champion's League before it all fell apart for him too. He never figured out how to put the pieces back together.

The biggest problem we've had at Wolves during the resurgence is a lack of being able to adapt. Nuno couldn't adapt and found himself out of a job. Lage imploded far, far, far faster than Nuno (who also didn't get as much support as he'd like) and couldn't adapt either.

Let's hope when Lopetegui hits the inevitable poor spell of games that he is able to get the team to adapt and right the ship quickly.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just announced: Cody Gakpo to Liverpool for what will be a record sale for PSV.

Klopp not messing about and United fans are absolutely seething right now.

View attachment 32031
apparently united scouts not convinced he’s all that. think this is a really strange one myself.
they now have;
Gakpo
Jota
Diaz
Nunez
Salah
Firminio

that’s a lot of players in a position where they’re stacked with kids who can play up there too, and when they’re light of midfielders.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
apparently united scouts not convinced he’s all that. think this is a really strange one myself.
they now have;
Gakpo
Jota
Diaz
Nunez
Salah
Firminio

that’s a lot of players in a position where they’re stacked with kids who can play up there too, and when they’re light of midfielders.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Firmino moving on.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Heard a Everton fan on 5 Live an hour ago saying, they were laughing their heads off when they saw our team, called us Snow White and the dwarfs.
Even though he's now crying in his beer, he has a point, we need to bring some height into the team, that first goal was terrible to watch.
Tbf we have height in the team. But for some reason Bueno was left marking Mina when Kilman/Collins should have done it. Julen was going bonkers on the touchline.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll keep on repeating this until I’m blue in the face. Go get Thomas - Ashante from the ****. They are in dire financial mess and this lad is a gem they always seem to manage to unearth
Stop faffing about and get him in !!!
He would look good on the bench

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thomas-Asante could go on to be a very good player, but I'm not sure about this idea Albion are a conveyor belt of future talent. Izzy Brown, Jonathan Leko, George Thorne, Rekeem Harper and Kyle Edwards were all meant to be the next big thing and none of them have done anything. Their big successes are Tyler Roberts and Kemar Roofe - hardly world beaters.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf we have height in the team. But for some reason Bueno was left marking Mina when Kilman/Collins should have done it. Julen was going bonkers on the touchline.
When they were setting up for the corner, you could see Mina and Bueno 'bumping', it looked ridiculous, this is where a take charge organizer would have seen it. Conor would have done this previously, Kilman and Collins don't have the presence, and much as I love him, I don't see Neves as a top captain type.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think wem in for Isco .....doesn't tally with lopetugui saying he wants a physical midfielder.....don't see where he fits in with moutinho, Hodge , Nunes and then our forward options.......we probably need another bouba type ...
I reckon Garcia is done this is a personal hunch

Another player not sure probably midfielder not Kessie but his mould.. Jon Moncayola isn’t a bad name to look at again personal from watching him for Osasuna

The win yesterday would of helped too attract foreign names

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we're honest, I'm not sure how much Lage wanted to be here anymore. He's said in interviews since he left he was given no real input about incomings or outgoings. He stated that we spent too much money when he could have got better results with players he wanted for cheaper.

It seems like it was toxic from top to bottom.
Where has lage said this?

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When they were setting up for the corner, you could see Mina and Bueno 'bumping', it looked ridiculous, this is where a take charge organizer would have seen it. Conor would have done this previously, Kilman and Collins don't have the presence, and much as I love him, I don't see Neves as a top captain type.

Wolves use zonal marking so you'd think it was pre-arrangèd before the match who would be positioned where when defending set pieces.... so its more a tactical mistake than blaming our tallest defenders ( who were both pretty poor to be honest) for not picking Mina up.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll keep on repeating this until I’m blue in the face. Go get Thomas - Ashante from the ****. They are in dire financial mess and this lad is a gem they always seem to manage to unearth

Can't say I've seen him much for WBA. But he was shocking for MKDons when he was younger. All power and pace but couldn't do much else. Seen him score a lovely goal on Twitter earlier.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thomas-Asante could go on to be a very good player, but I'm not sure about this idea Albion are a conveyor belt of future talent. Izzy Brown, Jonathan Leko, George Thorne, Rekeem Harper and Kyle Edwards were all meant to be the next big thing and none of them have done anything. Their big successes are Tyler Roberts and Kemar Roofe - hardly world beaters.

He's not actually that young or from the academy. He's about to be 24 soon, came from MKDons, got released ended up in non-league. Had a trial at Walsall at one point. Not sure if he didn't get offered a contract or he got a bigger offer

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean, most managers would be in a bad place if they are basically just "fall guy" which it seems like Lage was. He was given what looked like support, but nothing that he wanted. Players he wanted to keep were ripped from his grasp.

I'm not taking blame away from him completely. I think he had a good enough roster here to be far more competitive than we were. But people forget quickly. Nuno had fallen into an awful spell of results and was replaced by Lage. Lage had us within a couple points of the Champion's League before it all fell apart for him too. He never figured out how to put the pieces back together.

The biggest problem we've had at Wolves during the resurgence is a lack of being able to adapt. Nuno couldn't adapt and found himself out of a job. Lage imploded far, far, far faster than Nuno (who also didn't get as much support as he'd like) and couldn't adapt either.

Let's hope when Lopetegui hits the inevitable poor spell of games that he is able to get the team to adapt and right the ship quickly.
I can’t agree. Lage had us close to CL places playing the Nuno way with Nuno’s players. He got lucky then got found out. Way out of his depth. He won’t come close to such a high profile appointment again.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me the next couple of signings need to be a centre back and either right back or attack minded central midfield player.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ideal window for me.......

Replace.. .Sarkic, Jonny , Yerson, Ronan and Hwang .....

Would replace hwang with a central striker Vedat Muriqi or Paul Onuachu....granted hwang had a decent world cup but offered nothing again yesterday....might be our best last chance to off load him.....he is not what we need ....

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves use zonal marking so you'd think it was pre-arrangèd before the match who would be positioned where when defending set pieces.... so its more a tactical mistake than blaming our tallest defenders ( who were both pretty poor to be honest) for not picking Mina up.
Everton did the same for our goal, the 2 players 'marking' Kilman and Collins were much smaller. Those players and Bueno were actually tasked with blocking rather than marking

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me the next couple of signings need to be a centre back and either right back or attack minded central midfield player.
I think those 3 signings will probably be the lot, it’s definitely the three I want even though Semedo had a good game yesterday.

Timberrrr

Reaction score
Kessie isn't a rumour. Timber mentions kessie's name every transfer window.
Wouldn't it be funny if we did sign him lol.
BTW it's a long story that goes back years now and involving a relative of Kessingland while abroad on holiday but I've had some fun with it

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m never sure if you’re a massive WUM or just a bit daft so I’m at a loss for this Thomas-Ashante love in. He’s not even in the top 6 forwards in that division.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ideal window for me.......

Replace.. .Sarkic, Jonny , Yerson, Ronan and Hwang .....

Would replace hwang with a central striker Vedat Muriqi or Paul Onuachu....granted hwang had a decent world cup but offered nothing again yesterday....might be our best last chance to off load him.....he is not what we need ....

After already spending money on Cunha this window and Sasa in the summer I doubt we spend money again on another striker. Especially with Fabio Silva still to come back. Not saying we won't bring sombody in. That lad from Real Madrid for example on loan could do the trick.

Agree with shopping Hwang. Just doesn't look good enough for this level at all. Not against shopping Guedes to Sevilla or A.Madrid, doesn't look comfortable at this level.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Mckennie would be swell.
Can't say he stood out at the World Cup, but not seen him in action for Juve. Be a shame if RAN went but if he wants to leave then best he's off.

Back
Top Bottom