Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was hoping for a double signing but that opportunity was missed (even if we have a second signing in the wings).

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was our back 4 much better against Leeds?
Unfortunately not.
Considering there’s a CB less surely you shouldn’t expect it to be more secure than a back 3/5?

Surely the actual question is does having an additional CM/forward on the pitch benefit us more than removing the safety net or a 3rd CB is detrimental to us?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just doesn't look right him wearing that top, we're going to miss him around the club as we have no natural leaders that even come close.

Moutinho? Neves will also be a leader one day and maybe that day has come? Sometimes you need room to grow and there was only room for one Coady!

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Considering there’s a CB less surely you shouldn’t expect it to be more secure than a back 3/5?

Surely the actual question is does having an additional CM/forward on the pitch benefit us more than removing the safety net or a 3rd CB is detrimental to us?

Both questions are red herrings. It's the midfield as individuals that hold us back more than anything. Until a different type of player is bought in there it won't really matter much which formation we go with.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's because you went to an Italian where the chef was Indian and an Indian where the chef was Italian. :D
Haha. I meant US or British "Italian". My Italian origin ex was particularly impressed in one so-called Italian restaurant where the waiter (who didn't have a Scoobie when she spoke to him in Italian) tried telling her that the Italians made pasta sauce with Heinz tomato ketchup......

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haha. I meant US or British "Italian". My Italian origin ex was particularly impressed in one so-called Italian restaurant where the waiter (who didn't have a Scoobie when she spoke to him in Italian) tried telling her that the Italians made pasta sauce with Heinz tomato ketchup......
Everyone knows it OK.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both questions are red herrings. It's the midfield as individuals that hold us back more than anything. Until a different type of player is bought in there it won't really matter much which formation we go with.
That’s fair, my point was more so isn’t it unrealistic to expect a formation with less CB’s to be more solid defensively which is what was suggested in the post I replied to.

I know it’s a very basic view and there’s more to it than that but I’d expect 3 CB’s to be more solid than 2 it’s just to the detriment of another area of the pitch where a player is taken from to supplement the defence, so questioning whether the back 2 at the weekend were more solid than a back 3 would have been isn’t really a fair way to look at it.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anybody else feeling from Coady’s statement that he isn’t coming back and the option to buy is pretty much an obligation? Might be this way for FFP reasons.
Remember the same comments when traore went

All well and good until they sign a better cb in the summer instead or have been relegated

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

All well and good until they sign a better cb in the summer instead or have been relegated
Lampard gets the sack and the new manager plays with a back four. That could happen too, then we have a depreciated player who’s a year older.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As happy that I am that Guedes was announced, I do feel that the club messed up the timing since everyone is only talking about Coady leaving.

Also, is there a second signing or what?

Reactions: Ned

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As happy that I am that Guedes was announced, I do feel that the club messed up the timing since everyone is only talking about Coady leaving.

Also, is there a second signing or what?

Well I would consider this a marque signing so marketing would milk it

Plus another signing another day would be more social media clicks

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lampard gets the sack and the new manager plays with a back four. That could happen too, then we have a depreciated player who’s a year older.

Same as us letting players go and signing new ones when I genuinely don’t think Bruno will be our manager by next summer.

Football eh!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t think that’s true to be honest, Fosun have been ruthless.

Look at cav, Costa, Douglas, Bonatini etc and more recently look at Saiss and Ruddy who both wanted to stay and were bombed out (with ruddy agreeing a new deal and it being withdrawn).

There isn’t a family ethos from the top, anything like that is driven by the players who seem to genuinely get on, not Fosun.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I’ve my strong criticisms of the club in recent times, so hardly a cheerleader, and I don’t deny their financial and investment focus, but I do believe the family ethos starts at the top. It’s an integral part of the “one pack” brand which Fosun have developed at the club.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s fair, my point was more so isn’t it unrealistic to expect a formation with less CB’s to be more solid defensively which is what was suggested in the post I replied to.

I know it’s a very basic view and there’s more to it than that but I’d expect 3 CB’s to be more solid than 2 it’s just to the detriment of another area of the pitch where a player is taken from to supplement the defence, so questioning whether the back 2 at the weekend were more solid than a back 3 would have been isn’t really a fair way to look at it.

I suppose it depends how you look at it. Generally Collins is considered to be a better CB than anyone we had, so that becomes one factor. Another is that having an extra midfielder capable of progressing with the ball will help us dominate the midfield, something we rarely do ever. Meaning the ball will naturally be in the opposition half more and not ours. Taking the pressure off the back 4.

I do think that period we had between November-February last campaign massively glossed over the reality of things. Our points to goal ratio was almost unprecedented at the end of January, and it was only ever going to be a matter of time before it leveled out or fell off a cliff as it ultimately did.

We need a change of formation, or at the very least a different way of playing against certain opposition. It's no coincidence the teams we struggle against that very few other sides do. The Burnley/Norwich's of this world etc. We barely create chances against them let alone beat them.

It may take a little time to get it right from a defensive perspective, but bringing in that variation of midfielder will be imperative to anything we aim to achieve this season. If we fail in doing that it all becomes pretty irrelevant, irregardless of who we bring in elsewhere in my opinion. In fact, if we don't, I can see the back 5 rearing its head far sooner rather than later. And even then some will sturggle to realise the problem lies and stems from within the middle of the park.

Last edited:

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 29369

Jeff: we have a great idea for your announcement. What number do you want?
Guedes: 99 please
Jeff: erm….
Jeff: I can go as high as 17
Guedes: ok, 17 it is
Maybe they'll do another promotion where they celebrate Coady's move to Everton....by giving the punters as much of a discount as they gave Everton!!!

TWOLF

Reaction score

true, personally I always questioned Traore. £30m made no sense.

I was thinking there was a clause in the contract that turns the option into an obligation. E.g. a number of appearances. I know it’s been murmured a clause may be premier league survival but if we’re talking £12m-£20m (which it seems as though we are) they would be able to afford it if they got relegated.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
CM next, and a bloody good one please. If we get that then we're good. If mgw goes then cm and forward needed.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends where you eat, i prefer Desi Indian to takeaway Indian and both are nothing like you would have at a traditional Indian wedding. But theyre all great.

Chinese food yeah maybe you’re right
There needs to be more desi pubs down south, it's a ****ing travesty that it hasn't travelled down from the West Midlands.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose it depends how you look at it. Generally Collins is considered to be a better CB than anyone we had, so that becomes one factor. Another is that having an extra midfielder capable of progressing with the ball will help us dominate the midfield, something we rarely do ever. Meaning the ball will naturally be in the opposition half more and not ours. Taking the pressure off the back 4.

I do think that period we had between November-February last campaign massively glossed over the reality of things. Our points to goal ratio was almost unprecedented at the end of January, and it was only ever going to be a matter of time before it leveled out or fell off a cliff as it ultimately did.

We need a change of formation, or at the very least a different way of playing against certain opposition. It's no coincidence the teams we struggle against that very few other sides do. The Burnley/Norwich's of this world etc. We barely create chances against them let alone beat them.

It may take a little time to get it right from a defensive perspective, but bringing in that variation of midfielder will be imperative to anything we aim to achieve this season. If we fail in doing that it all becomes pretty irrelevant, irregardless of who we bring in elsewhere in my opinion. In fact, if we don't, I can see the back 5 rearing its head far sooner rather than later. And eve then some will fail to realise the problem lies with the middle of the park.
Yeah Collins improves things, although he’d do the same in a back 3 if we’d stuck with that to be fair.

CM is crucial still, aside from depth were desperate for something different in there. I know people want a striker in and ideally we get both still but CM needs to be the priority still.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just wait til we have no choice but to revert to a 5 against the top 6.
Anyone would think we don’t have any actual defenders as opposed to a converted midfielder who was put there by nuno because it suited our style because he was able to play long diagonal balls to our wide players and balls over the top for jota and afobe…

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So many are completely missing the point with the ‘what if we need to play 5 at the back’ comments.

We still can, and likely still will at some stage. We just will have an arguably better defender in there than Coady is.

Coady’s role is pretty much unique in the premier league. He’s basically a quarter back. The day we sold Doc his role changed and his value to the team diminished massively.

I wish him nothing but the very best, and don’t get this loan deal at all from our end, but playing wise he isn’t really needed.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom