Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So how do we fare with ffp. Anyone know the figures? Based on the fact that our transfer strategy was based on selling Neves for big money, which hasn’t happened, surely we need to sell some more before we can bring in anymore?
Great thread by Swiss Ramble about Newcastle and how they can’t spend big compared to what fans were expecting. Now based on the fact we we working right on the edge of being within ffp limits a few years ago, surely we will struggle?

Basically, ignoring amortization and accounting tricks, I believe Wolves had the leeway to spend around 70-80 million (if they chose to) before needing to sell this window. Guedes will bring that spending close to 50 (depending on the final figure.) Still room to get another 20-30 million player in and push ffp to the limit. But I suspect they’ll want to be prudent and move some players out first. It’ll be interesting to see the final terms of the Coady deal and what happens with MGW. Even just selling Coady and getting 7-10 million for Traore could make a huge difference.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I would take 40 mill for Morgan, we'd be crazy not to.

Think if they say 30-35 cash and then achievable add ons like them staying up or him making X amount of appearances it's fine

But I bet they were like qualify for champions league, Win the premier league

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can spend plenty under UEFA FFP, the £50M loss from Championship (which incidentally people don't seem to mention when maligning the big clubs outspending everyone as we did in the Champ) was the root cause and that is no issue whatsoever. UEFA gave big grace period for covid of 2 seasons, and we are profitable in every one.

FFP does not limit our spending
It doesn’t no, I agree. I was saying why we can’t run at losses or £35m per year in order to spend and push for Europe even if Fosun wanted to bankroll it, which they don’t.

FFP isn’t a limiting factor, cashflow likely is.

Saying that though FFP may well become a factor again with UEFA’s new version should we ever qualify for Europe for it to be a concern of ours.

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw the wedding present in the 80s .
Seen them loads of times and they’re still going - they did a 30 year anniversary tour of the George Best album a couple of years ago - magnificent stuff. I think I’ve still got bruises from the mosh pit at their Subterania gig in 1989 or 1990.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get the feeling there’s a few aces in the hole we aren’t aware of yet. Would be great to get 3 in before the weekend

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All of our big losses have now dropped off the accounting period.

If we qualified for the 2023/2024 UEFA Competitions the 3 year period would cover 2022/2023, 2021/2022, 2020/2021 - The latter of which was hampered by a Pandemic.

There's nothing to worry about from an FFP standpoint.
Not currently, but once the new version of UEFA’s FFP comes in it could limit us should we qualify.

Obviously if we don’t qualify it isn’t an issue so you could break it, but if you did in order to qualify you’d then be slapped back down by it.

Talking more generally rather than specifically about Wolves I reckon most clubs outside of the big 6 (and some within it) will really struggle to limbo under the 70% wages/transfer/agent fees to income ratio once it’s in place especially clubs who have less income in the first place so are more severely impacted by that ratio.

PL rules won’t be an issue for anyone but they may well come unstuck as soon as they qualify for Europe which may hamstring them and stop them getting there again.

Basically you may end up with a situation where you can spend for a push fee Europe but then be penalised if you qualify, or stick within their parameters which reduces your chances of qualifying anyway.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Real Madrid have been in the same place previously. The deal involving the City of Madrid buying their training ground for a massively inflated fee sticks in my mind... Dodgy as ****.....

It actually got even worse - apologies for the source but others were behind pay firewalls...

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have concerns about Gonzalez, not necessarily as a player, but the fact he's coming from Barcelona. Rarely do they ever sell young players without a buyback clause, so *if* he does well here, it's very likely they'd buy him back in a couple of years for a fee that's usually very generous for them. Secondly, is a player who's been heralded coming out of La Masia going to have an unhealthy ego? He clearly wants to stay and make it at Barca, he's been there since he was 10. It's always my concern when you target players from bigger clubs, are they going to be motivated to perform here.

If it's just a straight loan with no buy option, are we happy spending a year developing a player for another club? It puts us back at square one in a year's time, and if Neves and Moutinho were to leave next summer as well, we'd basically be losing our entire midfield in one summer.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we get Guedes, Gonzalez and Ramos I might, just might say a few nice things about Shi and Sellars

I wouldn't say anything nice to Sellars - It'll be Jeff and Jorge who sort those three.

Jeff might get a nod of acknowledgement from me...

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have there been any fresh links to Ramos or is it just wishful thinking? Can't see how we have a chance with him
I've heard he's a target and a far more reliable source than me over on the Wolves forum intimated he's a big target.

Personally, I can't see it, but I couldn't see Guedes in Coady out.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe at one point we were interested in Rayan Cherki, I wonder if we still are.

He plays for Lyon btw.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anything to all these “Neto to Arsenal” articles that are suddenly popping up now that we look to be closing on Guedes?
From what I have been told, they like him, they have asked in the past but are concerned about his knee injury so want to see if he can get back to fitness and come in and have a go to sign next summer once Pepe is off the books too.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we get Guedes, Gonzalez and Ramos I might, just might say a few nice things about Shi and Sellars
Interestingly (and completely without evidence), I suspect our apparent resumption of business as usual with Mr Mendes could spell bad news for our de facto Director of Football.

As far as I can glean, we've very consciously been shopping elsewhere since the Silva and Semedo deals. We've been trying to establish a scouting foothold in South America (or give Matt Hobbs a lovely jolly in Argentina), pick up youth players from Man City and pick up young lads from Estoril. No one from the Mendes A-list.

Now, all of a sudden, we are about to sign Guedes and possibly Nico Fernandez - players who would have been available for Wolves to sign if I held the position of Director of Football. Presumably (and this is a big presumption) because we failed to get deals over the line for non Mendes players this summer. (It's less of a presumption for last summer. We clearly failed there).

I don't think this will have gone unnoticed by our Fosun overlords. Why pay a director of football big money and then go over his head to get transfers done?

Food for thought/conspiracy

Madmalc

Reaction score
How do you think we are going to line up assuming Guedes comes in and everyone is fit (assuming Coady leaves)

Sa
Semedo, Collins, Kilman, RAN
Neves, Moutinho
MGW
Neto, Guedes, Adama

Or

Sa
Neves, Moutinho
Podence
Neto, Guedes, MGW

Or

Sa
Neves, Moutinho, Donk
Neto, Jiminez, Guedes

It starts to feel a whole lot better already and I suspect we may see a couple of other surprises.
Latest is Neto is being sold Guedes is his replacement.

Back
Top Bottom