Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Quality number 9s are in short supply so I think we'll struggle to get a decent replacement.

The only solution is playing Hwang or MGW there for now unless we can find someone in the next 10 days.

TWOLF

Reaction score
Don't jump on me for this... just passing it on.

I'm told 2 strikers will likely join before Leeds, one loan to buy and one "cheap"... with "big" money still to spend on a CM... so "not to worry".

Yes... I'm obviously still worried, but that's basically word for word what I've just been told.

Need to see some evidence for it pretty darn fast.
Thanks Lobo, hopefully you are right. You pick just the right times to pick up the mood on here :)

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Obviously a complete **** up again from the club, hoping to get a “deal” by pricking around again till the end of the window.

Maybe... but what I'm told is it's more a case of being patient in pursuit of our top targets. If it gets to the Leeds game without a striker coming in, it doesn't matter which of those was the case. It would be a failure

Houston Lobo

Reaction score

I'm told 2 strikers will likely join before Leeds, one loan to buy and one "cheap"... with "big" money still to spend on a CM... so "not to worry".

Yes... I'm obviously still worried, but that's basically word for word what I've just been told.

Broja loan to buy and then I’ll take Benteke as the “cheap”. That would do. But do I have the confidence in that’s what they’re thinking… mmm.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't Hwang a striker? I mean....play him as striker!!!

If we don't think he's the answer, sell him. Even better, invent a time machine and never buy him in the first place.

We better have someone lined up is all I can say. No worries if so, but otherwise it's such an avoidable situation
At the end of last season I wondered whether he was a footballer.

He is hopeless at leading the line, every time we tried it last season we were rubbish when he was on the pitch.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Are they young South Americans? :tearsofjoy:

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Open letter to Scott Sellars,

Dear Scott,

As you are well aware it's been a pretty torturous time for us Wolves fans over the last couple of seasons, despite managing to comfortably retain our Premier League status we have had to endure some dour and impotent performances where our goals for column resembles a Californian drought, infertile, bone dry and devoid of any hope.

Ultimately, unless we somehow manage to reproduce our form defensively (something that declined notably in the final quarter of the 2021/22 season), there is a real risk that the team could be sucked into a relegation battle through a distinct lack of goals, despite the obvious individual quality we have in our quaint little squad.

At the present moment I, and many others, are becoming increasingly alarmed at what appears to be an inability by the club's Technical Director to address this issue over this and a number of transfer windows. Instead of dealing with the "goals for" risk by bringing in fresh talent to you seem to have a plan based around the following:
  1. Raul Jimenez - will recover his form and fitness and provide the goal threat he did prior to his terrible injury - this big gamble can only succeed if he's fit to play and it appears he will now miss the first quarter of the season with a new injury, requiring surgery, so who knows how that will go (ref. Neto last year?).
  2. Fabio Silva - as the long term and natural replacement/competition for Jimenez. Now, however, after two seasons you have deemed Fabio not yet good enough for the Premier League and loaned him out for the season - so option 2 is not available due to your "strategic" decision making.
  3. Hwang Hee-Chan - brought in initially on loan as a second striker/inside forward to add to the goal output and raise our profile in South Korea. During the early part of last season he looked like a decent foil to Raul, though not as a leader of the line, then he got injured, you prematurely activated his "option to buy" he returned to the team and his form plummeted. He also appears to be carrying another injury, so presently out of form and unavailable.
  4. Patrick Cutrone - is a young striker who's career has been mis-managed totally by this club (both you and your predecessor) and is currently kicking his heels somewhere in Compton whilst you sort something out for him. He has not been involved at all pre-season so even if he is a viable option then he's far from integrated with the squad. He was not in your plans but as it stands is our only fit striker.
  5. Leo Bonatini - I've added him in as he's officially a striker, but we all know that from day one his signing was pointless.
So you can see why we're getting very concerned with your ability to address this extremely important issue. Having these five players free of injury is a risky proposition as it stands, given their track record in recent seasons, now that three of them are currently unavailable and two are deemed surplus to requirements, you have left us with one 5'5" option for the central striker role with the new season only 10 days away.

I hope for our sake and your's that you have an extremely inventive and exciting mitigation plan that is already in place and will see new arrivals in the next few days. If not then I think you should consider your future as a Director of Football. I really want it to be the former as I would hate for poor planning and mis-management to be the reason for poor season next year.

I trust that rather than sit smirking at this letter behind closed doors in Compton Park, you will realise how ludicrous this position looks from anyone outside the inner sanctum of the club, and devoid of any ounce of reassurance that the club will rectify this position, I hope you can understand the lack of faith the club's supporters have in your ability to turn this around.

Regards

Very Proud (thinking of going back to Still Proud again)

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence will play up front as a false 9. As stated earlier that completely undermines the work Lage has done throughout preseason.
Its not just that you lose a focal point up front, it's the movement of everyone that has to change.
Also playing Podence up front means Dendoncker or Moutinho will be playing behind the front 3, which again changes the dynamics a lot. It also means that if we play 433, we don't have any PL midfielders to bring on, as the only 3 we have all start.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the end of last season I wondered whether he was a footballer.

He is hopeless at leading the line, every time we tried it last season we were rubbish when he was on the pitch.
To be fair he was utterly utterly awful towards the end of last season.

But we have (for some reason) spent 14 million on him as a striker so we should bloody play him as a striker when Raul is injured.

I'd rather have a Benteke though. I think players like that work well with an attacking trio behind

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But we have (for some reason) spent 14 million on him as a striker so we should bloody play him as a striker when Raul is injured.

I'd rather have a Benteke though. I think players like that work well with an attacking trio behind
I'd take Benteke absolutely as a stop gap, he can't finish for **** but still has the target man ability. To paraphrase, I'd also take Kieffer Moore on the cheap for the same reasoning.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Open letter to Scott Sellars,

Dear Scott,

As you are well aware it's been a pretty torturous time for us Wolves fans over the last couple of seasons, despite managing to comfortably retain our Premier League status we have had to endure some dour and impotent performances where our goals for column resembles a Californian drought, infertile, bone dry and devoid of any hope.

Ultimately, unless we somehow manage to reproduce our form defensively (something that declined notably in the final quarter of the 2021/22 season), there is a real risk that the team could be sucked into a relegation battle through a distinct lack of goals, despite the obvious individual quality we have in our quaint little squad.

At the present moment I, and many others, are becoming increasingly alarmed at what appears to be an inability by the club's Technical Director to address this issue over this and a number of transfer windows. Instead of dealing with the "goals for" risk by bringing in fresh talent to you seem to have a plan based around the following:
  1. Raul Jimenez - will recover his form and fitness and provide the goal threat he did prior to his terrible injury - this big gamble can only succeed if he's fit to play and it appears he will now miss the first quarter of the season with a new injury, requiring surgery, so who knows how that will go (ref. Neto last year?).
  2. Fabio Silva - as the long term and natural replacement/competition for Jimenez. Now, however, after two seasons you have deemed Fabio not yet good enough for the Premier League and loaned him out for the season - so option 2 is not available due to your "strategic" decision making.
  3. Hwang Hee-Chan - brought in initially on loan as a second striker/inside forward to add to the goal output and raise our profile in South Korea. During the early part of last season he looked like a decent foil to Raul, though not as a leader of the line, then he got injured, you prematurely activated his "option to buy" he returned to the team and his form plummeted. He also appears to be carrying another injury, so presently out of form and unavailable.
  4. Patrick Cutrone - is a young striker who's career has been mis-managed totally by this club (both you and your predecessor) and is currently kicking his heels somewhere in Compton whilst you sort something out for him. He has not been involved at all pre-season so even if he is a viable option then he's far from integrated with the squad. He was not in your plans but as it stands is our only fit striker.
  5. Leo Bonatini - I've added him in as he's officially a striker, but we all know that from day one his signing was pointless.
So you can see why we're getting very concerned with your ability to address this extremely important issue. Having these five players free of injury is a risky proposition as it stands, given their track record in recent seasons, now that three of them are currently unavailable and two are deemed surplus to requirements, you have left us with one 5'5" option for the central striker role with the new season only 10 days away.

I hope for our sake and your's that you have an extremely inventive and exciting mitigation plan that is already in place and will see new arrivals in the next few days. If not then I think you should consider your future as a Director of Football. I really want it to be the former as I would hate for poor planning and mis-management to be the reason for poor season next year.

I trust that rather than sit smirking at this letter behind closed doors in Compton Park, you will realise how ludicrous this position looks from anyone outside the inner sanctum of the club, and devoid of any ounce of reassurance that the club will rectify this position, I hope you can understand the lack of faith the club's supporters have in your ability to turn this around.

Regards

Very Proud (thinking of going back to Still Proud again)
Oh dear lord. :astonished:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For once, and I vermently do not defend the club, you don't really advertise that your on the absolute prowl for a striker and panicing, that'll really hike the prices up. Kinda sensible briefing of calm and collective.
Agreed, we will need to do the right piece of business for the right player.

50m on alexader isak please.

Tall strong young athletic gerrimmm in

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

On Benteke I would agree. He’s not necessarily there to just score goals but to bring others into play. It would be a horses for courses approach, probably leaving many to scratch their heads but played properly and motivated could be a revelation.

Having said all of that I thought the same with Jose and that was a false dawn.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe I'm reading into things a little to much but with fans really starting to get annoyed with how things are going and with the situation of sending Silva out on loan and now Jimenez injury surely on that release from the club about the injuries Sellars or whoever could have tried to calm the situation down a little bit even just a couple of lines about getting the right players etc...

I know and understand the club like to keep things quiet regarding recruitment but it seems we are in a complete mess looking in from the outside a few words just wouldn't hurt..

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence will play up front as a false 9. As stated earlier that completely undermines the work Lage has done throughout preseason.
Its not just that you lose a focal point up front, it's the movement of everyone that has to change.
Also playing Podence up front means Dendoncker or Moutinho will be playing behind the front 3, which again chaes the dynamics a lot. It also means that if we play 433, we don't have any PL midfielders to bring on, as the only 3 we have all start.

Podence has been a disaster when starting up front, bullied by the centre backs and unable to.hold possession...think it was utd in the cup we tried it.

Oh and he will probably be injured anyway within a few games.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Isn't Hwang a striker? I mean....play him as striker!!!

If we don't think he's the answer, sell him. Even better, invent a time machine and never buy him in the first place.

We better have someone lined up is all I can say. No worries if so, but otherwise it's such an avoidable situation
He plays best off the main striker apparently. Thing is, we have no main striker now

Back
Top Bottom