Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am more concerned about Bruno than I am about getting transfers done
So, considering we should have most of our squad back to full strength and be over their injuries, if we are near the bottom by Xmas, then I’ll blame Bruno.
You do understand that we have several players who - on all objective ratings - were simply not good enough last season? These include Coady, Moutinho, Hwang, Dendoncker, Jimenez and - very definitely - the boy Fabio.
Bruno Lage has been manager for 13 months and - with the exception of the Rui/Sa swap - we have not signed one player to upgrade the first team in that time (unless you count Hwang, in which case you are beyond all help). I doubt there has ever been a PL manager who's gone 13 months without a signing to strengthen the team.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's like me telling the missus we've got the cash for the Mediterranean holiday she fancies and pointing to the weekend in Bognor as proof I'm not stringing her along.

I'll wait and see how we've done come the season start. If we've got the quality b2b midfielder (plus midfield additions should Neves and/or Moutinho leave) and the striker we need, plus a bit of depth in other areas, then I'll be happy. At the moment I must admit I'm a bit concerned...
Oi! None of that please! :mad::tearsofjoy:

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What exactly does a scholarship entail?
This is an endorsement by an FA recognised academy to enrol a player at the age of 16 on a 2 year apprenticeship programme.

In the first two years of this phase, Academy Players must take an education component as part of their Scholarship. Many Academy Players take an Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence.

Although not compulsory, the education element can continue after they turn 18 to continue in education. This may include things such as degree-level study.

Academy Players are expected to complete their education programme even if they sign a professional contract before the apprenticeship has run its course.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've spent some of my exciting Saturday night watching videos of us from the last few seasons; the citeh games, Spurs etc. It's clear that we've not moved forwards. We've also not just stagnated, but have gone backwards a bit. Jota, Traore, Doc, peak Jimenez... That's where most of the magic came from. Sorry, I know I'm making an obvious observation, but I sometimes forget how we could go from back to front with a few passes. What we have now is a similarly structured side but with none of that attacking threat. We're impotent, caught between wanting to play a less counter-attacking game but without the personel to do it. We're not ****ed, the league positions prove that, but we are on a bit of a precipice.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seriously how can you look at the complete in balance of the squad and think Lage is the problem?

Lage isn't calling for signings constantly for the sake of it he see's the squad needs more options most fans can see we need more as well, if we don't get players in Lage won't be the one to blame if we struggle next season that will go to Sellars and Shi for not seeing the obvious...
I didn’t say or think Lage is to blame for everything but after last season, I admit I have concerns about him. He didn’t have lot of experience but at least now he’s had a full Pl season’s experience.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You mean the stripey mid-table Chump lot. The very definition of mediocrity l agree, which mid table PL is not.

It is beyond ironic that you attempt to slag off our owners by suggesting that anyone who disagrees with you (we won't even comment on the arrogance of assuming that your utterly pathetic bilge is definitive) should go and support a team who are in pretty much the position that we were in before they took over.
It’s just odd that you were one of the biggest critics of the owners last summer (Jeff Shi was your line) yet you seem to think everything is great now.

What’s changed, genuinely interested?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did we manage to replace her with the South American wonder Maria, as was the rumour, or did it fall through?
Nah, Ruddy's left, leaving Coady and Kilman the only tea drinkers. They just take it in turns to make a brew. Jeff may look at the situation again, when MGW and Cundle are old enough to drink the stuff.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oi! None of that please! :mad::tearsofjoy:
Hahaha, sorry mate! Bognor's alright. I've lived in Great Yarmouth and Southend so glass houses and all that. I was gonna say Barmouth but thought we've probably got more fans round there (I've probably offended someone else now!).

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s just odd that you were one of the biggest critics of the owners last summer (Jeff Shi was your line) yet you seem to think everything is great now.

Not a fan of the manager though.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No you're quite correct, he didn't use the term, he just denounced the 200k local supporters as 'not being on the same page as him' and spent the rest of his interview telling everyone what was on his page, which constituted a bunch of high level goals geared up to impress everyone other than the 200k local supporters who aren't on the same page as him.

The legacy fans thing will stick until things improve on the field. Then it will all be forgotten. But that's not on Jeff's page.

Fair enough - to me it seems like the height of stupidity to bash him with a stick that was nothing to do with him, rather than any of the legitimate criticism that could be used.

This was the actual quote, I'm not quite sure how you've got to your summary from that.

They [overseas fans] are more and more important. First, it’s like a family, you want more and more fans joining the family, and also with a bigger fanbase you have a much bigger power commercially to attract partners, sponsors, even sell more merchandise around the world, and it will help us to have a much better commercial power to compete with the top six. Otherwise, if you only leverage the maybe 200,000 fans here in Wolverhampton, I think it’s no use because you cannot compete with maybe 100 million fans for Man United, so it’s very important to have the attraction, to attract all the eyeballs around the world and make our fanbase much bigger than the local area, then we have the chance to be a global powerhouse, then it’s the starting point to be a worldwide club.

And the "not on the same page", was in response to supporter expectations. Unless you think you ARE on the same page as him regarding expected spending levels, then it seems like a fair comment?

JP: What do you think a reasonable level of expectation for supporters should be? Do you feel that Fosun and the supporters are on the same page with what they want?

JS: Actually, there are a lot of supporters now around the world, so if we are talking about some supporters on social media here, for Wolves, the first-team, I think maybe not totally on the same page, I can admit that. But if we are talking about all the fanbase around the world, so, for example, some fans from America, some fans from China, some fans more interested in esports rather than football, some maybe are just new fans to Wolves, so I think more or less, for the majority, we are on the same page because most of them hope we have a bright future and they know where we are and they know we’re always challenging hard. But for maybe a small portion of the fanbase, maybe because they hope we can do better than now on the pitch, maybe sometimes we feel it’s out of our reach, but it’s still a good thing because they are inspiring us to do better and better and I always welcome different views and to tell us some different angles, then we can think whether we are doing right or not. I’m not expecting every fan to be on the same page as us, but I think for the general direction, most of the fans will agree we’re on the right track.

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A
Yes, ideally we need to get transfers done early.

We’ve played pathetic football for the last two seasons and everyone, Jeff, Bruno, groundskeepers, Doris, the players, coaching staff, kitchen staff etc at Wolves knows it, feels it, smells it, sees it and then they go home and it’s there as well. All there friends in Portugal know it and their families too.
It’s pervasive and it hemorrhages enthusiasm wishing the club.
Then going to Molineux or Compton becomes a chore and everyone knows there’s an elephant in the room.

Changing Nuno for Bruno didn’t do much, if anything, and everyone at Wolves got to be thinking will this season be any better?
No one at Wolves wants a repeat of last year. A couple of good signings will start to make the squad feel a bit more optimistic, especially if Jeff convinces Neves to stay.
We need new blood to change the chemistry/comradery among the players. The squad must be a bit stale.
A few pep talks and kumbayas from Bruno won’t cut it…..they’ve heard it all before.

Jeff needs to step up and show leadership and inspire in the organization. We need a quality player to come in, a signing of intent.
I‘m hoping for something significant this window.
Agree 100%

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where is jeff anyway? Is he recruiting esports players?We heard about hobbs going to south america and then just silence.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

WR4Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
The club has a stench of relegation oozing from it. Bizarrely though, it’s like all the fans can see it, yet the owners are oblivious to it all.

This rhetoric around so and so was a replacement for x, so and so was a replacement for y, for goodness sake we need at least 3-4 additions to the match day squad.

Things do not look good at all. The silence is deafening.
That’s just how I see it. Don’t think Shi realises how weak we currently are & desperately need freshening up and Sellars & Bruno are too weak to stand up to him.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I was massively disillusioned at the end of last summer's transfer window. My current position is probably not wildly different to that expressed by Sussex, namely hopeful that things will be done but fearful that they won't.

Certainly, despite some good youngsters coming through (but not first team ready in my view), my view at the moment is that the squad as it stands is weaker than that at the end of last season. If things aren't done we will likely struggle.

Certainly complacency is bloody dangerous. If we don't strengthen during this window l will be the first to put my hands up, admit that l was wrong, and criticise the owners myself.

Last edited:

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understood your point. My point is that he only kept spending money because all previous signings were ****e and Newcastle were perennial strugglers.
I’m sure if Wolves were third from bottom, four points off safety in January, Fosun would get the cheque book out.
No credit should be given to owners who panic buy.

It's nothing to do with previous signings being ****e, every transfer is a risk just look at Lukaku at Chelsea, it was about survival, Newcastle were up for sale but Mike Ashley kept spending enough to keep them in the Prem and to protect his investment.

We aren't up for sale ( I think Fosun would sell in a heartbeat if an acceptable offer came in but that's another story) but we aren't even spending as much as Mike Ashley was, I think Fosun/Jeff are being incredibly complacent, we have been seeing diminishing returns in terms of player transfers these last couple of years and it will catch up to us at some point

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fair enough - to me it seems like the height of stupidity to bash him with a stick that was nothing to do with him, rather than any of the legitimate criticism that could be used.

This was the actual quote, I'm not quite sure how you've got to your summary from that.

And the "not on the same page", was in response to supporter expectations. Unless you think you ARE on the same page as him regarding expected spending levels, then it seems like a fair comment?
Personally I don't think we've seen enough of Lage to Judge him. I've seen glimpses of the Benfica title winning season football near the beginning of last season and I've also seen some tactically awful decision making towards the back end of it.
Wether or not you back Lage, I think understanding the appointment of him from Jeff and Fosuns perspective is key.
He had little senior managerial experience at a high level.
I think Fosun selected a yes man, a manager grateful to be managing a PL team.
A manager who wouldn't ask for statement signings as they knew that wasn't the business plan going forward.
Lage displayed his desire to put his stamp on the squad and quickly got reigned in and shut up.
He came in enthusiastic and it showed in our football despite early results but now he knows the money isn't coming.
He looks like he's lost his spark already and that's why we have players refusing to sign contracts.
I put this developing situation down to lack of leadership from the very top and lack of communication between the club and the fans.
Jeff talks about fans not being on the same page as him, how can we be? We love our club with genuine passion and care, we see our shortcomings and we know what it will take to keep us where we are at minimum. If we don't get this window right then we'd have been watching this over the space of 2-3 seasons like a slow motion car crash.
Maybe it would pay for him to attempt to be on the same page as us.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
That’s why I can’t understand why people don’t want these guys out. They are going to milk us for a few more years then flog us.
I‘m still interested in what gives you the impression that any new owner will be anything markedly better than what we have now...
@jonesy

???

Just following up as I thought maybe you missed my question directed to you earlier.
You ducking me jonesy?

You’ve still not answered my question.

What gives you the impression that any new owner will be anything markedly better than what we have now?

Sidaway

Reaction score
Just catching up. Well if this is true, we're absolutely ****ed. Right in the ****.
We’re not - I reckon they’re trying to build the brand up more to make the club a more sellable asset which I can’t complain. If they sell it to the right people, it’ll be the best thing that they could ever do for the club.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
One at most out of three.....
Wouldn't want Richardson anywhere near our dressing room. Never seen such a miserable and grumpy player. A nightmare to manage. Philips over-rated. Raphina... not sure.... I'd stick with a willing Traore...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't want Richardson anywhere near our dressing room. Never seen such a miserable and grumpy player. A nightmare to manage. Philips over-rated. Raphina... not sure.... I'd stick with a willing Traore...
Agree everything except Raphinha.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You ducking me jonesy?

You’ve still not answered my question.

What gives you the impression that any new owner will be anything markedly better than what we have now?
What we have now is one of the worst owners in the league.

Despite that, things could be worse, we could get a crook. We all know it could be worse, so I won't pretend Fosun are atrocious.

However, right now, they aren't doing anything. They aren't putting money in, which is fine, up to them and they've put more than enough in over the years if they want to stop now. But it's obviously not good from our perspective as fans.

When you have owners who don't want to spend a penny you need them to excel in other areas. Are we excellent in the market? No. Do they have a clear strategy? I don't think so. A lot of areas in the football department could be improved quite considerably.

To compound all of this, they're actively ripping off the fans at every opportunity with price rises knowing they have no intention to spend and figures at the club are also dishonest at times with what they say (Vinny, Leicester tickets for example).

So, yes, it could get worse but the probability is it wouldn't.

I'll reiterate, this is Fosun as of right now.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was massively disillusioned at the end of last summer's transfer window. My current position is probably not wildly different to that expressed by Sussex, namely hopeful that things will be done but fearful that they won't.

Certainly, despite some good youngsters through (but not first team ready in my view), my view at the moment is that the squad as it stands is weaker than that at the end of last season. If things aren't done we will likely struggle.

Certainly complacency is bloody dangerous. If we don't strengthen during this window l will be the first to put my hands up, admit that l was wrong, and criticise the owners myself.
You are allowed to change your opinion, don't feel like you have to justify yourself

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too make it simple to people who still don’t get it after 100 pages of nothing.

-FOSUN have paid all the debt off. This means no more investment from them directly as they haven’t done that just to spend millions in debt to us again.

-This means without selling someone like neves we are pretty much skint

-rather than invest millions more into the club with little return on investment, they are putting money into esports and things under the “fosun sports” umbrella with the hope this can have a bigger return on investment when they seek to sell more shares or the club itself

-probably aiming for loans = another month of no first team incomings = another 100 pages of nowt

-we probably couldn’t afford to spend 20 million on a player at this point, let alone 40 on someone half decent like nunes

-no one is going to buy a minority share in a football club without the promise of potential ownership in future = we are skint for the foreseeable future = no more investment until new owners or circumstances with Chinese investment change

- still will probably finish above villa
We can only buy if we sell first? Are we the only club in the PL with zero TV revenue?

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one thing that would be completely disasterous would be Neves going without a bloody good replacement.
This is where I deviate from the majority of our fans. I don't think we need to replace him with anyone near his quality (although we definitely do need a decent defensive midfielder if he goes).

My position is that he's too good for us, in a position/role that isn't as important for us as he would be to a top club. We need more dynamic midfielders, not better players, and we desperately need players in other positions. Neves is beautiful at what he does (hence the interest from clubs he's been linked with; and our love of/respect for the lad) but we need a more rounded squad and having a world class defensive midfielder isn't that. If he goes and we bring in a Nunes, plus a dynamic central midfielder I'd be chuffed. The issue for me though is that I reckon we'll sell and then do poor business.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just catching up. Well if this is true, we're absolutely ****ed. Right in the ****.

We shall just have to keep running the club as it is now.A debt free club is much easier to sell than one that's riddled with it..

Personally I've had enough of it now,I'm not a fan of the wages these players are on.So in one respect I should be grateful Fosun are on the same page as me.I'm not a fan of VAR.( Who is ? Not many )I'm sick of the top clubs seemingly getting more out of reach from the likes of us..Because they are loaded and we'll never be able to compete with them.So what's the bloody point.I've followed them,And I mean FOLLOWED them home and away for 53 years,NO I dow want a badge before someone mentions it.There are many lads/ lasses on here that have had the same commitment,and probably a lot more than i.But there comes a time when we have to hang ar season tickets up and mine is getting closer every year.I've mentioned before about my sister and friends who watched every game on dodgy tv last year,and my sister has been told that they have upgraded the tv in the club for next year.So if I start getting overpriced oR not see much investment from fosun.Next year I will be joining them in the comfort of the club.

I've had a good owd drink tonight with mates so if I'm talking *******s just ignore me.Like most of ya do anyway.:yum:

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
Might sound strange but I don’t think I would have minded so much if FOSUN had bought us with the aim to get us promoted and flip us for a quick profit.

There are plenty of ways for an investment group to make steady returns on their money. Football isn’t one and will never be one. If they aren’t passionate about the football and aren’t willing to throw money at it, ultimately I don’t get what they are getting out of it.

I don’t see how the Wolves brand is or will ever be big enough or sexy enough for them to make significant money on other offshoots (I.e e-sports or a record label). Particularly when the product on the pitch has been dog**** for the best part of 2 seasons.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
What we have now is one of the worst owners in the league.

Despite that, things could be worse, we could get a crook. We all know it could be worse, so I won't pretend Fosun are atrocious.

However, right now, they aren't doing anything. They aren't putting money in, which is fine, up to them and they've put more than enough in over the years if they want to stop now. But it's obviously not good from our perspective as fans.

When you have owners who don't want to spend a penny you need them to excel in other areas. Are we excellent in the market? No. Do they have a clear strategy? I don't think so. A lot of areas in the football department could be improved quite considerably.

To compound all of this, they're actively ripping off the fans at every opportunity with price rises knowing they have no intention to spend and figures at the club are also dishonest at times with what they say (Vinny, Leicester tickets for example).

I'll reiterate, this is Fosun as of right now.
You’re not @jonesy!

Anyway all of your points make sense. And I agree.

The only thing I disagree on is

The probability points to it only getting worse. With our current owners we have been on the cusp of something special the last 3 out of 4 seasons. Our 7th place finishes and again this year although we dramatically faded.

For wolves exclusively, that’s far better than anything in our recent history that any other ownership had presided over. So what is the rationale behind the notion that new owners will take us further? Where is the evidence to come to that conclusion?

Around the country are there really any takeover success stories? Chelsea and Manchester City were able to cement themselves atop the pile long before FFP. Leicester of course miraculously won the league an achievement to be celebrated but like any other club outside the perennial heavyweights it’s only fleeting success.

This is as good as it gets I’m afraid. From a business point of view well done to Fosun. From a fan’s point of view we could give less of a **** if we were in debt as a club. It’s not our money.

Even if $crooge McDuck bought us to be his play thing this will still be as good as it gets.

In a very nihilistic way sometimes I’d like to see Fosun sell us and witness us fall miserably to once again become irrelevant. Even only if it’s to spite the Fosun Out faction.

Last edited:

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re not @jonesy!

The probability points to it only getting worse. With our current owners we have been on the cusp of something special the last 3 out of 4 seasons. Our 7th place finishes and again this year although we dramatically faded.

For wolves exclusively, that’s far better than anything in our recent history that any other ownership had presided over. So what is the rationale behind the notion that new owners will take us further? Where is the evidence to come to that conclusion?

Around the country are there really any takeover success stories? Chelsea and Manchester City were able to cement themselves atop the pile long before FFP. Leicester of course miraculously won the league an achievement to be celebrated but like any other club outside the perennial heavyweights it’s only fleeting success.

This is as good as it gets I’m afraid. From a business point of view well done to Fosun. From a fan’s point of view we could give less of a **** if we were in debt as a club. It’s not our money.

Even if $crooge McDuck bought us to be his play thing this will be as good as it gets.
I agree with this. This being as good as it gets isn't a negative for me either. We're a couple of signings and a dollop of luck away from European football. I'm cool with that.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with this. This being as good as it gets isn't a negative for me either. We're a couple of signings and a dollop of luck away from European football. I'm cool with that.
The problem is despite the previous evidence I still don't trust them to not screw it up completely and land us back in the championship, probably passing the sh on the way.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re not @jonesy!

For wolves exclusively, that’s far better than anything in our recent history that any other ownership had presided over. So what is the rationale behind the notion that new owners will take as further?

Even if $crooge McDuck bought us to be his play thing this will be as good as it gets.
I agree with what you're saying, this is as good as it gets and I am not using that against Fosun.

If we spent £100m this summer the reality is that finishing 6th would still be an overachievement. Maybe even £200m.

Then, you have to keep spending and spending to do it again. It's sad really and there should be no expectation ever from a Wolves fan that we should finish in the top six. That's without mentioning the Villa & Newcastle who will spend big and continue to do so and maybe even West Ham.

However, Wolves fans do have a right to expect us to try and do all we can to be successful and unfortunately you can't say we've done that. We genuinely may never be in as good a position as we were in January ever again and we proceeded to make ourselves worse. It was pretty gutting.

So, yeah I'd never demand success, I just want us to try and I don't think they've done that recently.

With this stance, I agree new owners probably couldn't take us further, unless we got a Newcastle type takeover, but it's more about where we're heading.

In my opinion, we're going down and I'd say it will happen within the next five years. There are very few clubs (if any?) that can continuously survive on a sell-to-buy basis where you're reducing the wage bill from a mid-table start. It's daft to think we'd be any different.

Then we have the pricing/greed from Fosun. It's easy to say everyone does it but it's not actually true. We're the only club to put prices up year on year in the past four years, they're exploiting the fans because they can and they have lied when trying to justify it. Every chance our next owners aren't as bad as Fosun on that front as well.

Back
Top Bottom